Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is it now Barnsley as our rivals? Plymouth message board are in melt down (n/t) 20:40 - Mar 11 with 7891 viewsunstableblue

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Is it now Barnsley as our rivals? Plymouth message board are in melt down (n/t) on 08:39 - Mar 12 with 1537 viewsHipsterectomy

5 points from a possible 18 from away games for them in 2023

on paper they don't have the trickiest fixtures, but they play some solid teams away from home who will be fighting for things (including their local rivals)

Just focus on us. For us to make up 8 points and a worse(?) g/d to 2 points and a +12 g/d in a few weeks shows how the momentum has swung. I'd still rather be 2 points clear, but you'd definitely be bricking it given that gap closing so soon

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Is it now Barnsley as our rivals? Plymouth message board are in melt down (n/t) on 09:11 - Mar 12 with 1452 viewsskinnybob72

Plymouth's home form is as good, if the not the best, that has ever been seen in League 1, certainly since the turn of the century.

W16 D1 L1

Surely there will be a blip at home in their last 5 games? Can they really finish the season with 64/69 points at home?
Is it now Barnsley as our rivals? Plymouth message board are in melt down (n/t) on 09:58 - Mar 12 with 1377 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Is it now Barnsley as our rivals? Plymouth message board are in melt down (n/t) on 20:49 - Mar 11 by tractordownsouth

Plymouth are still in the driving seat with their run in but today has been an absolute nightmare for them. I haven’t looked at FiveThirtyEight yet but I reckon they will have knocked their chance of finishing in the top two down by 10 or 15 percent from 70.

They’ve won 1 in 10 away from home I think. Lost key players to injury, the squad is stretched, they have a cup final etc. bookies are rarely wrong and there’s a reason we have consistently been favourites to finish ahead of them, and still are. It’s a 46 game season, 10 or so to go and we’re bang in form. I know who I’d back.

Edit maybe it’s 2 in 10 - but it’s not many.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2023 10:01]
Is it now Barnsley as our rivals? Plymouth message board are in melt down (n/t) on 13:07 - Mar 12 with 1261 viewsRyorry

Is it now Barnsley as our rivals? Plymouth message board are in melt down (n/t) on 09:58 - Mar 12 by PrideOfTheEast

They’ve won 1 in 10 away from home I think. Lost key players to injury, the squad is stretched, they have a cup final etc. bookies are rarely wrong and there’s a reason we have consistently been favourites to finish ahead of them, and still are. It’s a 46 game season, 10 or so to go and we’re bang in form. I know who I’d back.

Edit maybe it’s 2 in 10 - but it’s not many.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2023 10:01]

You did well to mention injuries - it's one reason I don't spend time making predictions along the lines of those in the thread so far, because as we know only too well ourselves, injury to key player/s at any club can completely change the picture.

I'm not religious, but might be spending most of the remainder of our games this season praying!

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Is it now Barnsley as our rivals? Plymouth message board are in melt down (n/t) on 16:58 - Mar 12 with 1117 viewsjayessess

Is it now Barnsley as our rivals? Plymouth message board are in melt down (n/t) on 20:49 - Mar 11 by tractordownsouth

Plymouth are still in the driving seat with their run in but today has been an absolute nightmare for them. I haven’t looked at FiveThirtyEight yet but I reckon they will have knocked their chance of finishing in the top two down by 10 or 15 percent from 70.

FiveThirtyEight probabilities:

Sheffield Wednesday 1st 86% (+8) 2nd 10% (-6)
Plymouth 1st 7% (-10) 2nd 42% (-11)
Ipswich 1st 5% (+2) 2nd 30% (+13)
Barnsley 1st 3% (+1) 2nd 17% (+6)

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Is it now Barnsley as our rivals? Plymouth message board are in melt down (n/t) on 17:05 - Mar 12 with 1107 viewsSwansea_Blue

They could well be. Both of us are on a better run than Plymouth, but there’s no guarantee that form will be projected over the rest of the season. On the other hand it’s still in Plymouth’s own hands. Exciting end to the season!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Is it now Barnsley as our rivals? Plymouth message board are in melt down (n/t) on 18:04 - Mar 12 with 1005 viewsTheBoyBlue

How many times have we written Plymouth off this season (myself included)? We've got to be wary of both, but of course we only have Barnsley out of the two to play, so we just have to concentrate on what we're doing, particularly making sure of beating (or at least not losing to) Barnsley and hoping for the best with Plymouth.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2023 18:08]

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Is it now Barnsley as our rivals? Plymouth message board are in melt down (n/t) on 18:47 - Mar 12 with 939 viewsITFC1977

Is it now Barnsley as our rivals? Plymouth message board are in melt down (n/t) on 20:51 - Mar 11 by J2BLUE

Just read they only play one team in top 10 in their remaining games and we have five teams in the top ten.

Plymouth very much in it. If they can get 7 wins it will be difficult.

The teams at the bottom become alot more difficult to beat than the mid table teams in the last few matches
Login to get fewer ads

Is it now Barnsley as our rivals? Plymouth message board are in melt down (n/t) on 11:57 - Mar 13 with 705 viewspafcprogs

Hello chaps and chappesses

Exciting isn't it.

So I am intrigued by your definition of meltdown....in that we had the usual knee-jerk headline grabbing post ( seen a few on here in my time ) that got pelters...

It was a bad result....we could/should have taken the lead and at half time consensus of Barnsley was we were better than most sides that had been there...obviously they have you and the Wendies arriving shortly...

Conceded two whilst chasing the game....Barnsley are decent but not unbeatable...

Now for a run of "easier" fixtures whilst the top other sides mainly play each other for a little bit....

A comfortable win v FGR should settle any nerves.....

BTW congrats on a good win at a tough place to visit.....especially with Walton saving the pen....no-one can accuse any of the top sides of letting up the pace

Undoubtedly we need to string a few wins together but if we cannot do that in the next few games we won't deserve to be top two...

Many a twist to come I feel.

Enjoy the ride :)
Is it now Barnsley as our rivals? Plymouth message board are in melt down (n/t) on 12:09 - Mar 13 with 670 viewsxrayspecs

Is it now Barnsley as our rivals? Plymouth message board are in melt down (n/t) on 11:57 - Mar 13 by pafcprogs

Exciting isn't it.

So I am intrigued by your definition of meltdown....in that we had the usual knee-jerk headline grabbing post ( seen a few on here in my time ) that got pelters...

It was a bad result....we could/should have taken the lead and at half time consensus of Barnsley was we were better than most sides that had been there...obviously they have you and the Wendies arriving shortly...

Conceded two whilst chasing the game....Barnsley are decent but not unbeatable...

Now for a run of "easier" fixtures whilst the top other sides mainly play each other for a little bit....

BTW congrats on a good win at a tough place to visit.....especially with Walton saving the pen....no-one can accuse any of the top sides of letting up the pace

Undoubtedly we need to string a few wins together but if we cannot do that in the next few games we won't deserve to be top two...

You too bud.

Plenty of twists and turns to come
Is it now Barnsley as our rivals? Plymouth message board are in melt down (n/t) on 12:14 - Mar 13 with 655 viewsclive_baker

Is it now Barnsley as our rivals? Plymouth message board are in melt down (n/t) on 11:57 - Mar 13 by pafcprogs

Exciting isn't it.

Balanced post. FWIW I don't think anyone has any issues with Plymouth, you would be the side I would want to go up certainly ahead of Bolton, Derby, Pompey, Peterborough etc. I would probably add Wycombe to that list too although I would be happy for Matt Bloomfield. PAFC are a good club, generally decent fans and the recent 'rivalry' is driven by nothing but the league standing and fact you're what currently stands between us and top automatics.

Barnsley are a really good side, they've got a core of players at good ages in that mid 20's bracket who know how to win football matches.

Needless to say Saturday is a much easier test on paper, I thought FGR were awful at Portman Road recently, properly awful and would fully expect you to stick a few past them. If we're still 2 points behind at 5pm Saturday I'll be happy.

It's the 5 games that follow that which are interesting for me. 4 of them away, a local derby and some long trips and short turnarounds in some cases, against stubborn opposition who are scrapping for points. They don't meet the definition of easy fixtures in my book but fair play if you come through them with a decent amount of points. In some respects our tougher looking away games play to our strengths. Where we've struggled is against sides who park the bus and show no attacking intent. We've shown we're capable of picking sides off who want to make a game of it, as Bolton showed on Saturday.

As you say it's going to be a close run thing, I would think both Ipswich and Plymouth will finish on 90+ points which will feel a bit cruel on whoever misses out.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024