Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
To do in Ipswich 13:30 - Apr 2 with 3039 viewstaf123

We are 10 people from Sweden (30 years old) staying in Ipswich friday 14th to monday 17th. Any advice what to do on the sunday?
To do in Ipswich on 13:34 - Apr 2 with 2726 viewsCaptainAhab

If I were you I'd get absolutely blotto on the Saturday celebrating a 7-0 Town win, then the Sunday can just be a write off
To do in Ipswich on 13:39 - Apr 2 with 2701 viewsCaptainAhab

Good gig in Ipswich Saturday night if you need something to do and like your metal (don't all Swedes?)

https://www.thesmokehouse.org/whatson/aeir-lebrique-ward-of-iron
To do in Ipswich on 13:47 - Apr 2 with 2671 viewsWacko

Get a 20 minute train out to Woodbridge and explore the town / have a Sunday roast in a nice pub / check out Sutton Hoo / say hi to Alan Curbishley

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

To do in Ipswich on 14:09 - Apr 2 with 2585 viewsPavlovsCat

To do in Ipswich on 13:47 - Apr 2 by Wacko

Get a 20 minute train out to Woodbridge and explore the town / have a Sunday roast in a nice pub / check out Sutton Hoo / say hi to Alan Curbishley

…and Brian Eno. 🎶
To do in Ipswich on 14:31 - Apr 2 with 2526 viewsHerbivore

Head to Norwich.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

To do in Ipswich on 14:39 - Apr 2 with 2502 viewsnoggin

Train to London and a few beers round Covent Garden.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

To do in Ipswich on 14:42 - Apr 2 with 2482 viewsclive_baker

If the weather is anything like it is today you should head to the beach

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

To do in Ipswich on 14:47 - Apr 2 with 2462 viewsJ2BLUE

Round of golf/foot golf

Nice walk around Alton Water

Jimmy's Farm

Lunch at Suffolk Food Hall

Escape room followed by an afternoon session in Briarbank

Ask the club if they will put on a stadium tour for you

Wiff Waff sports bar

Waterfront bar crawl
[Post edited 2 Apr 2023 14:49]

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

To do in Ipswich on 14:49 - Apr 2 with 2455 viewsRKD

Make sure you make the most of the sun exploring the waterfront. There’s a massive bar called Isaacs which has lots of outdoor and indoor space for food and drink - quite an impressive building.

The smokehouse gig that someone else mentioned is a good opportunity to see some of the bohemian charm this town has.

If you want to spend some time outdoors then Christchurch Park is a lovely leafy escape in the centre of Ipswich - be sure to do a quick tour in Christchurch Mansion museum.

A small day trip to Woodbridge on the Sunday is a good shout made by another poster, an idyllic town with an excellent array of pubs.

If you like your meat then try to get a dinner table at Rios in town. Other nice dinner places are Kwan Thai, The Moloko and @25.

The best seafood (and potentially food in general) in the town is a hidden gem called Ocean Fish Platter.

Woodbridge Road/Spring road is a good pub crawl option if you want to venture off the beaten track.

Poll: Edwards goal - shot or cross?

To do in Ipswich on 17:58 - Apr 2 with 2136 viewsfactual_blue

Visit Bury St Edmunds where St Edmund, an English king of East Anglia, was buried. He'd been martyred by Scandinavian invaders.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

To do in Ipswich on 18:11 - Apr 2 with 2079 viewsDJR

To do in Ipswich on 14:49 - Apr 2 by RKD

Make sure you make the most of the sun exploring the waterfront. There’s a massive bar called Isaacs which has lots of outdoor and indoor space for food and drink - quite an impressive building.

The smokehouse gig that someone else mentioned is a good opportunity to see some of the bohemian charm this town has.

If you want to spend some time outdoors then Christchurch Park is a lovely leafy escape in the centre of Ipswich - be sure to do a quick tour in Christchurch Mansion museum.

A small day trip to Woodbridge on the Sunday is a good shout made by another poster, an idyllic town with an excellent array of pubs.

If you like your meat then try to get a dinner table at Rios in town. Other nice dinner places are Kwan Thai, The Moloko and @25.

The best seafood (and potentially food in general) in the town is a hidden gem called Ocean Fish Platter.

Woodbridge Road/Spring road is a good pub crawl option if you want to venture off the beaten track.

As well as housing works by two of the UK's most renowned artists (Constable and Gainsborough), Christchurch Mansion has the following exhibition which features works by Turner, Constable and Monet and looks well worth a visit.

https://www.landscape-rebels.co.uk/

The following suggests the venue will be open over Easter.

https://www.ipswich.gov.uk/content/visitor-information-mansion

EDIT: I misread your original post and thought you were coming next week. The exhibition ends on 16 April.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2023 19:49]
To do in Ipswich on 19:19 - Apr 2 with 1883 viewsbazza

To do in Ipswich on 14:49 - Apr 2 by RKD

Reading your post , If they sorted out the two ends of the town centre and managed to attract more shops to the town centre, Ipswich is actually a really nice place, with potential, and some nice bars and restaurants scattered throughout, every town and city across the country has its crime I suppose , but Ipswich has been let down massively over the last 20 Years, maybe if Ipswich get to the prem, it will Help boost the town, encourage some regeneration and decent stores. Who knows.
To do in Ipswich on 19:58 - Apr 2 with 1782 viewsRKD

To do in Ipswich on 19:19 - Apr 2 by bazza

Reading your post , If they sorted out the two ends of the town centre and managed to attract more shops to the town centre, Ipswich is actually a really nice place, with potential, and some nice bars and restaurants scattered throughout, every town and city across the country has its crime I suppose , but Ipswich has been let down massively over the last 20 Years, maybe if Ipswich get to the prem, it will Help boost the town, encourage some regeneration and decent stores. Who knows.

I had two friends visit Ipswich for the first time last summer and they said it was one of the nicest places they’ve been in the UK.

Everywhere has their parts which aren’t as nice as other bits of the town, but it’s all relative. Take a trip to Gillingham, Barnsley, Burnley, Rotherham and see how lucky you are to have Ipswich as a home town.

To do in Ipswich on 20:05 - Apr 2 with 1753 viewsTractorWood

The Dedham Vale is beautiful. Always recommend it to anyone who will listen.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

To do in Ipswich on 20:22 - Apr 2 with 1715 viewsstrikalite

Yep as said Woodbridge is defo worth a look, food in a nice pub and maybe crazy golf at Congo Rapids lost world Adventure Golf...play for a bit of money always makes it more interesting..
To do in Ipswich on 20:24 - Apr 2 with 1705 viewsnoggin

To do in Ipswich on 19:58 - Apr 2 by RKD

I had two friends visit Ipswich for the first time last summer and they said it was one of the nicest places they’ve been in the UK.

Everywhere has their parts which aren’t as nice as other bits of the town, but it’s all relative. Take a trip to Gillingham, Barnsley, Burnley, Rotherham and see how lucky you are to have Ipswich as a home town.

They were from Slough.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

To do in Ipswich on 23:19 - Apr 2 with 1464 viewsRKD

To do in Ipswich on 20:24 - Apr 2 by noggin

They were from Slough.

Grew up in Bradford/Chester - lived in Sheffield for 10 years before visiting Ipswich.

To do in Ipswich on 23:39 - Apr 2 with 1415 viewsCrayonKing

To do in Ipswich on 13:39 - Apr 2 by CaptainAhab

Good gig in Ipswich Saturday night if you need something to do and like your metal (don't all Swedes?)

https://www.thesmokehouse.org/whatson/aeir-lebrique-ward-of-iron

If you like things a bit more mellow then Jerry Joseph is playing there the night before and is one of the best live acts I've seen recently.
To do in Ipswich on 00:12 - Apr 3 with 1361 viewsBLUEBEAT

Sutton Hoo

Build that Suffolk-Scandi bond

Poll: W or W

To do in Ipswich on 09:07 - Apr 3 with 1116 viewshoppy

To do in Ipswich on 17:58 - Apr 2 by factual_blue

Visit Bury St Edmunds where St Edmund, an English king of East Anglia, was buried. He'd been martyred by Scandinavian invaders.

Would the tip/recycling centre be open?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

To do in Ipswich on 09:15 - Apr 3 with 1096 viewsDJR

To do in Ipswich on 19:58 - Apr 2 by RKD

It is after all reputed to be the oldest continuously occupied town in the country, dating back to around 600 AD.

I don't think it sells itself well enough, but it probably doesn't help not having a surviving castle or a cathedral. But it does have lots of medieval buildings as well as 12 medieval churches.
To do in Ipswich on 09:20 - Apr 3 with 1090 viewsSharkey

To do in Ipswich on 17:58 - Apr 2 by factual_blue

Scandinavian invaders led by a guy in skinny jeans.

https://www.themorgan.org/collection/Life-and-Miracles-of-St-Edmund/27
To do in Ipswich on 09:27 - Apr 3 with 1069 viewsSharkey

To do in Ipswich on 09:15 - Apr 3 by DJR

It is after all reputed to be the oldest continuously occupied town in the country, dating back to around 600 AD.

I don't think it sells itself well enough, but it probably doesn't help not having a surviving castle or a cathedral. But it does have lots of medieval buildings as well as 12 medieval churches.

"It is after all reputed to be the oldest continuously occupied town in the country, dating back to around 600 AD."

I don't understand this claim. It suggests all the Roman towns 'closed down' when the Romans 'went home', but a detailed history of Colchester (for example) does not suggest this.
To do in Ipswich on 10:22 - Apr 3 with 996 viewsDJR

To do in Ipswich on 09:27 - Apr 3 by Sharkey

"It is after all reputed to be the oldest continuously occupied town in the country, dating back to around 600 AD."

I don't understand this claim. It suggests all the Roman towns 'closed down' when the Romans 'went home', but a detailed history of Colchester (for example) does not suggest this.

Agreed, and it's why I said reputedly, but this article sums up some of the competing claims, and perhaps suggests the claim for Ipswich is that it is the oldest continuing town established by the English.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldest_town_in_Britain
To do in Ipswich on 10:41 - Apr 3 with 972 viewsSharkey

To do in Ipswich on 10:22 - Apr 3 by DJR

Agreed, and it's why I said reputedly, but this article sums up some of the competing claims, and perhaps suggests the claim for Ipswich is that it is the oldest continuing town established by the English.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldest_town_in_Britain

That does make sense.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024