Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Leaving early 12:13 - Apr 17 with 5199 viewsWhens_Lunch

What a day Saturday was, let's hope for more.

What I can never understand is leaving early and it happens at pretty much every level.
We were in the Cobbold and a few were leaving on 88 minutes and it really bothered me.
The sun was out, the football was great, goals flying in, the place is rocking, not seen this level of excitement in a generation. Why go home??
Leaving early on 13:50 - Apr 17 with 979 viewsunstableblue

I never normally leave early, and always keen to stay and clap the team and manager round, even after a loss

Saturday had to go just before final whistle due to the ridiculous train services into London that day

Agree those leaving 5mins early is a little strange.. but some will have valid excuses

And of course some are responding to the 28-29k attendances and the traffic volume caused

Very much looking to staying well behind after final whistle on Tuesday

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Leaving early on 13:55 - Apr 17 with 952 viewsBuffaloBill

Leaving early on 13:17 - Apr 17 by farkenhell

Davis was incarcerated on Saturday? Bloody hell - hope he's released in time for tomorrow's game!

Banged to rights, right there

Ooof

Poll: Incentives to want to be promoted

Leaving early on 13:59 - Apr 17 with 924 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

Leaving early on 13:17 - Apr 17 by PrideOfTheEast

If the trains were to run properly I wouldn't need to drive at all, and would stay until the end. Saturday and for pretty much half of EVERY season they do not and there is a rail replacement through Essex. So my choice is either queue in traffic until about 6pm to get on the A12 and therefore get home after my kids are in bed, or leave on 90 and probably get on the A12 for 17:10. It's a no brainer for me when we're comfortably seeing a game out against irrelevant opposition.

Tomorrow night, I'll be leaving early to get the 2144 to London. That ensures I get home before midnight and since I have an 8am meeting on Weds, that's probably sensible versus getting in about an hour later if I miss the 2144.

I'm anything but a modern football fan and have followed the club religiously home and away for the better part of 30 years now.

I live in Kent, so I also use the A12 and although it is absolute hell in general, I haven't had to queue for that long for many years. Where are you parking? I street park off the London Road area, normally one of the last to leave the ground and by the time I have walked to the car, it is usually easy to nip out onto the main road and up the A12. I usually get home around half 7 to 8, any later and it is down to the Dartford crossing, not the queue out of Ipswich.

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

Leaving early on 14:00 - Apr 17 with 916 viewshoppy

Leaving early on 13:17 - Apr 17 by farkenhell

Davis was incarcerated on Saturday? Bloody hell - hope he's released in time for tomorrow's game!

Think he's going to be like Gary Croft, they'll release him, but he'll have to play with an ankle tag...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Leaving early on 14:04 - Apr 17 with 912 viewsVaughan8

Leaving early on 12:38 - Apr 17 by Bent_double

What bothers me more is the constant coming and going of people during the game, you're constantly getting up and sitting down again to let people past you who need the loo (for the 3rd or 4th time).

In the Cobbald on Saturday, there were this group of 3 who must have gone in and out about 4 times during the game. God know what they were doing!
Leaving early on 14:05 - Apr 17 with 910 viewsVaughan8

I understand it a lot more at 5-0. Not going to lose, if you miss a goal well doesn't matter too much.

its the ones who leave when its a draw or a goal in it I don't understand.

However, people might have places to go and leaving that bit early means they get home 20-30 mins quicker.

We aren't all the same too. For some people, ITFC isn't their whole life, for others it is.

the fact the OP can "never understand" is a bit weird haha
Leaving early on 14:06 - Apr 17 with 912 viewshype313

Leaving early on 13:17 - Apr 17 by DJR

I like to stay behind in SBR upper to cheer the team after the game, and these days get the Harry Clarke fist pump.

It was particularly good on Saturday because the vast majority in SBR upper did the same.

It meant I didn't get to my car in the old Wherstead Road until 5.25, and didn't get home until about 7.35, but it was worth it.

I am, however, an old codger (married to Mrs Codger) who rarely does anything on a Saturday night.

EDIT: I normally prefer to get the train, but find the 17.19 allows me time to stay after the game, and not get home too late. And for evening games, I have the option of driving across the Dartford Crossing to Shenfield, and catching the train from there, which means I don't have to get the 21.44.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2023 13:29]

Don't know why we're all having to justify our reasons for leaving early, are we going to get deducted fan points or something?

I tell you what really grinds my gears, modern football fans looking for any excuse to have a winge.

And I'd have a decent wager that if these wingers ever found themselves in the unlikely situation where they might have a chance of getting a partner, they would be the first one's to be dashing off at 4.30 having been barked at for not helping choosing the new dress before New Look closed at 5.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Leaving early on 14:09 - Apr 17 with 896 viewshoppy

Leaving early on 14:04 - Apr 17 by Vaughan8

In the Cobbald on Saturday, there were this group of 3 who must have gone in and out about 4 times during the game. God know what they were doing!

Trying to get a phone signal as the wifi isn't any good?

Someone perhaps ought to ask the club about that...

Login to get fewer ads

Leaving early on 14:16 - Apr 17 with 874 viewshoppy

Leaving early on 14:06 - Apr 17 by hype313

Don't know why we're all having to justify our reasons for leaving early, are we going to get deducted fan points or something?

I tell you what really grinds my gears, modern football fans looking for any excuse to have a winge.

And I'd have a decent wager that if these wingers ever found themselves in the unlikely situation where they might have a chance of getting a partner, they would be the first one's to be dashing off at 4.30 having been barked at for not helping choosing the new dress before New Look closed at 5.

Think you'll find it's 'whinge'.

Really annoys me when people don't get that right.

Leaving early on 14:17 - Apr 17 with 858 viewshype313

Leaving early on 14:16 - Apr 17 by hoppy

Think you'll find it's 'whinge'.

Really annoys me when people don't get that right.

Touche.

Couldn't find the Umlaut, apologies.

Leaving early on 14:18 - Apr 17 with 846 viewsBuhrer

Leaving early on 14:06 - Apr 17 by hype313

If you leave a game like the last early, just to buy a frock (not even for upurself!), then unfortunately fan points may now need to be deducted. Please hand yourself into ITFC staff for processing.
Leaving early on 17:57 - Apr 17 with 759 viewsfarkenhell

Leaving early on 14:17 - Apr 17 by hype313

Touche.

Couldn't find the Umlaut, apologies.

You mean the acute.

Or am I due a whoosh!
Leaving early on 18:26 - Apr 17 with 740 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

For one reason or another I found out before the game that I would have to leave after 70 minutes. I now realise that I shouldn't have gone!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Leaving early on 19:16 - Apr 17 with 701 viewsBuhrer

Leaving early on 14:05 - Apr 17 by Vaughan8

I understand it a lot more at 5-0. Not going to lose, if you miss a goal well doesn't matter too much.

its the ones who leave when its a draw or a goal in it I don't understand.

However, people might have places to go and leaving that bit early means they get home 20-30 mins quicker.

We aren't all the same too. For some people, ITFC isn't their whole life, for others it is.

the fact the OP can "never understand" is a bit weird haha

Objecting the early leavers etc is like a lot of these "how to be a real fan" positions, way too subjective to represent the spectrum of 29000 attendees. Attendess because def not everyone there s a fan. And fans have all sorts of reasons for going early. Though if ots just to escape the rush, having done both I think its s fools economy to go early. Basically you miss moments as a fact, and sensible parking and just going with the flow gets you home just fine and not too different for me.
Leaving early on 22:27 - Apr 17 with 625 viewsWestSussexBlue

I’ve only ever left early once. Think it was against Bournemouth in September 1989, losing 0-1 so I left about 10 minutes early only to hear the cheer as I exited Churchmans into Portman Road.
Never have I left early since.
Leaving early on 23:29 - Apr 17 with 609 viewsParisBlue

Bolton play-offs in 2000, the 2 blokes next to me left to 'beat the traffic' muttering "same old Ipswich, always screw up in the play-offs".

On a related point I turned up late at Charlton for a cup game early season. I saw no goals, it was only the following day one a flight where I read we'd won 1-0 (Venus free-kick).

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Leaving early on 09:51 - Apr 18 with 501 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Leaving early on 13:49 - Apr 17 by Zx1988

Not so much that, but those who do it, and then insist on returning to their seat during an exciting passage of play, rather than hunching down on the end of the row until a more appropriate point.

There's a couple of lads who often come through my row - late - to get back to their seat... and their seats are the other side of the next walkway. If it happened once I'd think they've just gone up the wrong stairs, but they regularly do it. WTF is that all about?!

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Leaving early on 09:58 - Apr 18 with 497 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

What makes me laugh is the stressed out looking people trying to inch their way through the crowds after a match. Clearly left early - so potentially missing goals/excitement - only to get into the stress of that. Some people just don't know how to relax and enjoy themselves.

There's an easy way to 'beat the traffic' which I do every time I drive. Go to the pub with your mates for a few drinks, chat about the game, chat about life, let your hair down. Then drive home and don't worry that you're a bit late one day that week.

Leaving early on 10:21 - Apr 18 with 483 viewsBYRNE_16

I don’t get why leaving early is even an Issue?

Yes I left early (after the 5th goal) I wanted to beat traffic and the meandering fans who pretend to be cars, wondering in the middle of the road, then have the audacity to flail their arms in the air after nearly being knocked over for the 5th time.

Anyway I’m feeling really positive about the switch and the direction we’re heading, so please enough of this negativity!

COYB

p.s. I’m not driving tonight so I’ll be staying to the end ;)
Leaving early on 11:10 - Apr 18 with 458 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Leaving early on 10:21 - Apr 18 by BYRNE_16

I don’t get why leaving early is even an Issue?

Yes I left early (after the 5th goal) I wanted to beat traffic and the meandering fans who pretend to be cars, wondering in the middle of the road, then have the audacity to flail their arms in the air after nearly being knocked over for the 5th time.

Anyway I’m feeling really positive about the switch and the direction we’re heading, so please enough of this negativity!

COYB

p.s. I’m not driving tonight so I’ll be staying to the end ;)

What are they wondering about? Why you left so early just to crawl through crowds of people, I'd guess.

Leaving early on 11:46 - Apr 18 with 438 viewshype313

Leaving early on 09:58 - Apr 18 by The_Flashing_Smile

What makes me laugh is the stressed out looking people trying to inch their way through the crowds after a match. Clearly left early - so potentially missing goals/excitement - only to get into the stress of that. Some people just don't know how to relax and enjoy themselves.

There's an easy way to 'beat the traffic' which I do every time I drive. Go to the pub with your mates for a few drinks, chat about the game, chat about life, let your hair down. Then drive home and don't worry that you're a bit late one day that week.

Some of have kids mate.

Wish it was as easy to just nip into the pub and chew the fat for an hour or so.

Leaving early on 12:15 - Apr 18 with 411 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Leaving early on 11:46 - Apr 18 by hype313

Some of have kids mate.

Wish it was as easy to just nip into the pub and chew the fat for an hour or so.

Kids are allowed in pubs.

Each to their own but I like to make a day of it going to Ipswich. Seems strange to me that some can't seem to wait to get away. But yeah, i don't have kids, might be different if I did.

Leaving early on 12:34 - Apr 18 with 402 viewshype313

Leaving early on 12:15 - Apr 18 by The_Flashing_Smile

Kids are allowed in pubs.

Each to their own but I like to make a day of it going to Ipswich. Seems strange to me that some can't seem to wait to get away. But yeah, i don't have kids, might be different if I did.

Really? never knew that as a parent. Mind Blown.

I'm talking in isolation to Saturday, my son had a party to get to at 6 so we had to make sure we got there on time. Most weeks we stay, but people seem to be tarnishing all with the same brush here when it's not as binary as that.

We'd all love to make a day of it every other week, but I get some people can't and if someone has to leave having witnessed 99% of the game who am I to say anything.

One thing that really gets me as we're getting more popular and successful, is this need for people to look like a superfan, It's painful and embarrassing, especially as grown adults.

Leaving early on 12:48 - Apr 18 with 385 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Leaving early on 12:34 - Apr 18 by hype313

Really? never knew that as a parent. Mind Blown.

I'm talking in isolation to Saturday, my son had a party to get to at 6 so we had to make sure we got there on time. Most weeks we stay, but people seem to be tarnishing all with the same brush here when it's not as binary as that.

We'd all love to make a day of it every other week, but I get some people can't and if someone has to leave having witnessed 99% of the game who am I to say anything.

One thing that really gets me as we're getting more popular and successful, is this need for people to look like a superfan, It's painful and embarrassing, especially as grown adults.

I don't think people are talking about a one off occasion, it's people who regularly leave early who some find a bit odd. That's not saying the rest of us are superfans, or telling people what they should do. It's just expressing an opinion on a chat forum. It's no biggie.

The fact that some get so upset by the comments suggests it hits a nerve.

Leaving early on 12:49 - Apr 18 with 378 viewshoppy

Leaving early on 11:46 - Apr 18 by hype313

Some of have kids mate.

Beatties is open after the game, and kids can come in (otherwise we'd have to leave Yasmin downstairs to wait, and that wouldn't really be fair on her, especially on the cold rainy evening games)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024