Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Barnsley fans are amongst the most gracious anywhere 01:48 - Apr 26 with 7014 viewsSteve_M

I thought Wembley in 2000 was a one off but been out and chatting to them tonight, very gracious and not too upset by tonight.

Good luck to them in the playoffs.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Barnsley fans are amongst the most gracious anywhere on 01:50 - Apr 26 with 6077 viewsFixed_It

Before the match they were saying how they hoped we would finish above Wednesday. I guess that softens the blow for them slightly.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Barnsley fans are amongst the most gracious anywhere on 02:24 - Apr 26 with 5956 viewsIPS_wich

They were great in 2000 - and assuming we get the two points we need I am 100% behind them for the playoffs.
Barnsley fans are amongst the most gracious anywhere on 03:42 - Apr 26 with 5817 viewsKropotkin123

Barnsley fans are amongst the most gracious anywhere on 02:24 - Apr 26 by IPS_wich

They were great in 2000 - and assuming we get the two points we need I am 100% behind them for the playoffs.

I'm backing Peterborough. I would rather have another East Anglian game in the Championship.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Barnsley fans are amongst the most gracious anywhere on 04:45 - Apr 26 with 5742 viewswkj

They were exactly the same when I last went there in 98. As I recall it was a 1-0 result with David Johnson scoring pretty early and then not much else happened beyond a red card.

After the game we went out for something to eat before returning to the car to let the traffic thin out. At the curry house we stopped at we were trying to conceal our town shirts the best we could, but a group of 10 or so Barnsley fans had the same idea as us and clocked us. The proceeded to talk about the game and our seasons and all manner of things and not a hint of sour grapes or bad sportsmanship at all.

I also ran into some Barnsley fans at the drum and monkey a couple of seasons prior when they came here (and I think won/drew) - Same thing, different people. Joined the conversations, talked about the season to far, gracious in victory but backed us from promotion. Not a single cocky word at all.

Best opposition supporters I've ever been around.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2023 4:51]

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Barnsley fans are amongst the most gracious anywhere on 06:58 - Apr 26 with 5318 viewsKropotkin123

Barnsley fans are amongst the most gracious anywhere on 04:45 - Apr 26 by wkj

They were exactly the same when I last went there in 98. As I recall it was a 1-0 result with David Johnson scoring pretty early and then not much else happened beyond a red card.

After the game we went out for something to eat before returning to the car to let the traffic thin out. At the curry house we stopped at we were trying to conceal our town shirts the best we could, but a group of 10 or so Barnsley fans had the same idea as us and clocked us. The proceeded to talk about the game and our seasons and all manner of things and not a hint of sour grapes or bad sportsmanship at all.

I also ran into some Barnsley fans at the drum and monkey a couple of seasons prior when they came here (and I think won/drew) - Same thing, different people. Joined the conversations, talked about the season to far, gracious in victory but backed us from promotion. Not a single cocky word at all.

Don't go on their forum, it will ruin the illusion!

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.

Barnsley fans are amongst the most gracious anywhere on 07:05 - Apr 26 with 5242 viewsBluespeed225

Barnsley fans are amongst the most gracious anywhere on 04:45 - Apr 26 by wkj

Very similar Town to ourselves, lack the arrogance of their Sheffield/Yorkshire neighbours the same as our Essex ‘friends’. Used to bump into their lads on scooter runs, top boys, had all been in Quadrophenia, prepared to talk to us young’ us without taking the pee!
Barnsley fans are amongst the most gracious anywhere on 07:13 - Apr 26 with 5159 viewssaffers12

Barnsley fans are amongst the most gracious anywhere on 07:05 - Apr 26 by Bluespeed225

Very similar Town to ourselves, lack the arrogance of their Sheffield/Yorkshire neighbours the same as our Essex ‘friends’. Used to bump into their lads on scooter runs, top boys, had all been in Quadrophenia, prepared to talk to us young’ us without taking the pee!

I agree, great fans, I got lost getting back to car and 2 of their fans helped me no problem
Barnsley fans are amongst the most gracious anywhere on 08:11 - Apr 26 with 4703 viewsbrogansnose

Lovely stewards.

I hope they go up too.
Login to get fewer ads

Barnsley fans are amongst the most gracious anywhere on 08:13 - Apr 26 with 4677 viewsChurchman

Barnsley fans are amongst the most gracious anywhere on 06:58 - Apr 26 by Kropotkin123

Don't go on their forum, it will ruin the illusion!

There’s a few coming out with the nonsense about the postponement, getting the Wednesday supporting ref replaced, suggestions that we should have been down to nine men, but by and large their people recognise we were the better side.

It’s a lot more balanced than Owlstalk that’s gone from king of the hill in Feb to utter depression with swipes and blame - the manager, owner, the team, us conning the FA, us replacing the ref, us bringing in players.

I’m a little surprised by them really. I’ve always thought of them as a balanced mob but maybe it’s just the noisy ones on their forum that are a bit all over the place.
Barnsley fans are amongst the most gracious anywhere on 10:15 - Apr 26 with 4302 viewsChiefXL

Not sure what impressed me the most...

The multiple missiles being thrown onto the pitch or their PA announcer warning them to stop shouting racist and homophobic abuse
Barnsley fans are amongst the most gracious anywhere on 10:18 - Apr 26 with 4253 viewsSteve_M

Barnsley fans are amongst the most gracious anywhere on 10:15 - Apr 26 by ChiefXL

The multiple missiles being thrown onto the pitch or their PA announcer warning them to stop shouting racist and homophobic abuse

Ha, yes there was that too but those we were chatting to in the turn after the game were really decent.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Barnsley fans are amongst the most gracious anywhere on 10:31 - Apr 26 with 4184 viewsChiefXL

Barnsley fans are amongst the most gracious anywhere on 10:18 - Apr 26 by Steve_M

Ha, yes there was that too but those we were chatting to in the turn after the game were really decent.

TBF I tend to agree, on the whole they're a good bunch
But I was surprised by some of the antics in the stadium
Barnsley fans are amongst the most gracious anywhere on 17:40 - Apr 26 with 3854 viewsDJR

It's not just the football fans, but all the people around the town I came across when I had a few hours to kill yesterday before meeting my mates.

But speaking as someone brought up in the south, I always tend to find the further north you go, the friendlier the people.

And, having gone to university in Leeds, I have a real soft spot for the Yorkshire accent.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2023 19:15]
Barnsley fans are amongst the most gracious anywhere on 18:03 - Apr 26 with 3773 viewsBonchosBicycle

Watched a couple of Barnsley youtube videos after the game and in both they were very generous towards us, saying we were the best in the division, had amazing support and deserve to be going up. I wish them well in the hell that is the playoffs.
Barnsley fans are amongst the most gracious anywhere on 19:57 - Apr 26 with 3494 viewsTobytyke

Barnsley fans are amongst the most gracious anywhere on 10:15 - Apr 26 by ChiefXL

For context, the announcement regarding discriminatory chanting was shortly after our fans had sung 'we all hate Leeds scum' which makes derogatory comments towards the pope and the IRA. We've had the same announcement every home game for about 10 matches. I think there's a small element who haven't realised/don't care why the announcement keeps getting made.

The throwing of bottles was embarrassing, and hopefully a one off.
Barnsley fans are amongst the most gracious anywhere on 20:31 - Apr 26 with 3233 viewsTobytyke

Now the dust has settled, I'll give my two penneth, and then disappear off into the darkness never to be seen again (unless we end up joining you next season).

Simply put, we were beaten by the better side. I could sit here and say we had an off day, but clearly, it was more than that. I will say that we missed Luca Connell, who has been by far our best player this season, our midfield general. Hearing he wasn't in the squad did strike the fear of god into me, and his replacement Jon Russell hasn't quite lived up to the hype that came with him when he signed from Huddersfield in January.

You'd identified that our back 3 don't like their feathers ruffled, and tried to get Hirst on the ball as much as possible, with the 3 behind him there to feed off whatever he could provide. My main worry before kick off was that you wouldn't be patient in your build up play, and instead try to exploit Andersen's indecision when the ball is put in behind him. In fact, I'd actually envisioned your 2nd goal, it was similar to one Wycombe had scored down here, and similar to a play made by Bolton that resulted in Andersen giving away a penalty and being awarded a red card. He's a very capable defender, with one very big flaw, which is probably the reason he's playing in league 1.

I felt you benefitted from the rub of the green too. Every little bounce, deflection, ricochet and... Ahem... 50/50.... Seemed to go your way. It's true, when you're playing well, you get all the luck. For me that was epitomised in a moment in the second half, where after evading two late challenges, Devante Cole overstretched to keep the ball and caught your centre halfs heels, resulting in a free kick (rightfully) in your favour.

But take nothing away from you, your form has been exceptional, and you deserve to go up. You've been the best side we've faced by a mile this season (Exeter were probably the next best), and have managed to get a tune out of Conor Chaplin, who went through purple patches with us.

Regarding Wembley 2000, I honestly don't have many memories. I was 9, I recall reading a Pokemon book on the way down, Higgy's goal, David Johnson's blue hair, and a Pokemon book on the way home.

Good luck next season, hopefully we'll be with you, and if we're not, I hope it's anyone but Wensdaaahh.
Barnsley fans are amongst the most gracious anywhere on 20:42 - Apr 26 with 3132 viewswitchdoctor

Barnsley fans are amongst the most gracious anywhere on 20:31 - Apr 26 by Tobytyke

Now the dust has settled, I'll give my two penneth, and then disappear off into the darkness never to be seen again (unless we end up joining you next season).

Simply put, we were beaten by the better side. I could sit here and say we had an off day, but clearly, it was more than that. I will say that we missed Luca Connell, who has been by far our best player this season, our midfield general. Hearing he wasn't in the squad did strike the fear of god into me, and his replacement Jon Russell hasn't quite lived up to the hype that came with him when he signed from Huddersfield in January.

You'd identified that our back 3 don't like their feathers ruffled, and tried to get Hirst on the ball as much as possible, with the 3 behind him there to feed off whatever he could provide. My main worry before kick off was that you wouldn't be patient in your build up play, and instead try to exploit Andersen's indecision when the ball is put in behind him. In fact, I'd actually envisioned your 2nd goal, it was similar to one Wycombe had scored down here, and similar to a play made by Bolton that resulted in Andersen giving away a penalty and being awarded a red card. He's a very capable defender, with one very big flaw, which is probably the reason he's playing in league 1.

I felt you benefitted from the rub of the green too. Every little bounce, deflection, ricochet and... Ahem... 50/50.... Seemed to go your way. It's true, when you're playing well, you get all the luck. For me that was epitomised in a moment in the second half, where after evading two late challenges, Devante Cole overstretched to keep the ball and caught your centre halfs heels, resulting in a free kick (rightfully) in your favour.

But take nothing away from you, your form has been exceptional, and you deserve to go up. You've been the best side we've faced by a mile this season (Exeter were probably the next best), and have managed to get a tune out of Conor Chaplin, who went through purple patches with us.

Regarding Wembley 2000, I honestly don't have many memories. I was 9, I recall reading a Pokemon book on the way down, Higgy's goal, David Johnson's blue hair, and a Pokemon book on the way home.

Good luck next season, hopefully we'll be with you, and if we're not, I hope it's anyone but Wensdaaahh.

all the best mate….good luck in the play offs..👍
Barnsley fans are amongst the most gracious anywhere on 20:46 - Apr 26 with 3103 viewsChurchman

Barnsley fans are amongst the most gracious anywhere on 20:31 - Apr 26 by Tobytyke

There’s chunks of Wembley 2000 I don’t remember, but that’s largely down to gargantuan amounts beer with your lot in places various.

The points totals for the top four are ridiculous, but looking at the the form guide and assuming we get over the line, Barnsley have to be favourites. Unlike Wednesday club, players, manager and supporters all seem to be pulling in the same direction, which is half the battle. Duff has done a great job.

Good luck.
Barnsley fans are amongst the most gracious anywhere on 20:50 - Apr 26 with 3055 viewsITFC_Esquire

Absolutely! Some nasty scenes in the ground from the sounds of it. Their big brother system popping up intermittently warning about throwing things on the pitch and even one instance of reported racial abuse. But every club has at least a few bad eggs. Every single one I had the pleasure of meeting last night was nothing but welcoming, pleasant, complementary and kind. Hope they do well in the play offs.

Poll: What’s your ‘Away Priority Points Balance’?

Barnsley fans are amongst the most gracious anywhere on 20:50 - Apr 26 with 3053 viewsKropotkin123

"Every... 50/50.... Seemed to go your way"

50/50s generally do feel that way as we have are respective bias that are at odds with 50/50. I was surprized that Barnsley got away with so much persistent fouling. No decision was as bad as the goal that was incorrectly ruled out at Portman Road.

The penalty, looked like one to me. You can't run across someone tripping them up, particularly in the box, and expect it not to be a foul. Surprised it was such a talking point, as it was missed and occured when we were 2 up.

With that said, I feel Barnsley were tidy when in possession, but surprisingly toothless up front and your keep seemed weak. I think you were the best team we have faced in our unbeaten run. Plymouth are the only team that I think are better. Thinking you will win the play-offs, but I'm routing for Peterborough, if we are promoted automatically.

Best of luck
[Post edited 26 Apr 2023 21:09]

Barnsley fans are amongst the most gracious anywhere on 20:50 - Apr 26 with 3046 viewsDJR

The only disappointment of my trip to Barnsley was that there is no statue of the greatest living Yorkshireman, our very own Mick McCarthy.
Barnsley fans are amongst the most gracious anywhere on 20:53 - Apr 26 with 2988 viewsKropotkin123

Barnsley fans are amongst the most gracious anywhere on 20:50 - Apr 26 by DJR

The only disappointment of my trip to Barnsley was that there is no statue of the greatest living Yorkshireman, our very own Mick McCarthy.

Stockholm syndrome

Barnsley fans are amongst the most gracious anywhere on 20:59 - Apr 26 with 2915 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I think Morsy was more involved than normal. We seemed to get him on the ball a lot and he ran with it rather than passing it more than usual. I thought we must have identified your central midfield as a weakness with Connell missing. You seemed to play at a pace and intensity other oppositions don't. You created far more chances against us than anyone else I can recall for a long time. However, few of those chances were that great. Walton made a decent save possibly at one point. And before half time several of your players looked like they were blowing. I thought early on, I know we can live with the pace of this game, I wonder if you can. Once we had scored those two at the end of the first half, I couldn't see us giving the lead up (which is a big improvement from us from before Christmas).

When you are running as hard as we did all night, you get to 50:50 balls quicker and things do seem to fall your way. I did think a few ref decisions went our way but none of them was clearly wrong and, likewise several didn't. Again one thing we are not doing is relying on those decisions going our way. We hit the bar, missed a couple of good chances, failed to score a penalty and still won 3-0. I would have taken a draw with the form you were on but we simply blew you away. Our finish to the season has been beyond expectations.

Good luck in the play-offs. Would happily see you up. It was a good game to watch last night.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Barnsley fans are amongst the most gracious anywhere on 21:19 - Apr 26 with 2744 viewsMelford

I have a few links up there through family. My cousin is married to one of the ex-Barnsley players on co-commentary on iFollow last night.

When the fixture is on a Saturday the whole family goes up for the weekend, really good place to go out in afterwards. Had some banging nights out up there.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Barnsley fans are amongst the most gracious anywhere on 21:47 - Apr 26 with 2551 viewsJ2BLUE

Fair, although if we're talking about rub the green, Norwood staying on the pitch after that elbow was very lucky for you.

Good luck in the play offs

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024