Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Non itfc City 23 vs utd 99 10:57 - Jun 4 with 1418 viewsStu_boy

With city now being close to repeating uniteds achievement of winning the treble got me thinking. How many of the utd team of 99 would gave got into the current city side? For me perhaps scholes, schmeichel and g neville but dont see any of the others being in there, what are your thoughts?
Non itfc City 23 vs utd 99 on 11:09 - Jun 4 with 1375 viewspatrickswell

Keane, surely.
Non itfc City 23 vs utd 99 on 11:16 - Jun 4 with 1342 viewsKeno

Non itfc City 23 vs utd 99 on 11:09 - Jun 4 by patrickswell

Keane, surely.

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Non itfc City 23 vs utd 99 on 11:19 - Jun 4 with 1319 viewsSimonds92

Walker is so underrated, he's the best right back in the Premier league era, no way neville gets in ahead of him. I dont really remember Schmeichel at his peak (i can only really remember him playing for City) but was he really a better all round keeper than Ederson?
Rodri/ Keane
Grealish/ Giggs
Id say they they would be the only debatable ones.
Non itfc City 23 vs utd 99 on 11:22 - Jun 4 with 1311 viewspelles321

Think peoples perspective may be generational. For me, that Utd ‘99 team was one of the best club teams I’d seen as missed the Liverpool teams of the 80’s. For me-

Schmeichel

Walker- Stam- Dias- Irwin

Beckham- Keane- De Bruyne- Scholes- Giggs

Haaland
Non itfc City 23 vs utd 99 on 11:24 - Jun 4 with 1281 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Non itfc City 23 vs utd 99 on 11:19 - Jun 4 by Simonds92

Walker is so underrated, he's the best right back in the Premier league era, no way neville gets in ahead of him. I dont really remember Schmeichel at his peak (i can only really remember him playing for City) but was he really a better all round keeper than Ederson?
Rodri/ Keane
Grealish/ Giggs
Id say they they would be the only debatable ones.

Schmeichel was defo a better keeper than Ederson IMO.

Agree Neville gets nowhere near.

I'd go with both Keane over Rodri and Giggs over Grealish but Jack has a long career ahead of him, has room to grow.

Think you could an argument for Sheringham as super sub too

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Non itfc City 23 vs utd 99 on 11:38 - Jun 4 with 1243 viewsStu_boy

Walker is definitely better at the offensive side and if your playing wing backs he would be over neville. However, neville without doubt is a better defender
Non itfc City 23 vs utd 99 on 12:41 - Jun 4 with 1160 viewsjayessess

Non itfc City 23 vs utd 99 on 11:24 - Jun 4 by BlueandTruesince82

I'd go with both Keane over Rodri and Giggs over Grealish but Jack has a long career ahead of him, has room to grow.

I think it's hard to fit the United players into the roles the Man City team play now.

Schmeichel might have been better at pure goalkeeper, but couldn't do what Ederson's required to do with the ball.

Keane was a fabulous player, but Rodri's required to do the deep playmaking stuff that wasn't his forte.

Think Giggs is probably the one that fits most easily - incredibly adaptable footballer with a modern wide forward's skillset.

(Might be interesting to reverse the question. Who of the Manchester City squad would fit best in Ferguson's system? Wonder what he'd have made of a Silva, Gundogan or Haaland?)
[Post edited 4 Jun 2023 13:05]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Non itfc City 23 vs utd 99 on 13:26 - Jun 4 with 1125 viewsBlueBadger

Keane as well.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

Non itfc City 23 vs utd 99 on 13:55 - Jun 4 with 1097 viewsmonty_radio

Non itfc City 23 vs utd 99 on 12:41 - Jun 4 by jayessess

I think it's hard to fit the United players into the roles the Man City team play now.

Schmeichel might have been better at pure goalkeeper, but couldn't do what Ederson's required to do with the ball.

Keane was a fabulous player, but Rodri's required to do the deep playmaking stuff that wasn't his forte.

Think Giggs is probably the one that fits most easily - incredibly adaptable footballer with a modern wide forward's skillset.

(Might be interesting to reverse the question. Who of the Manchester City squad would fit best in Ferguson's system? Wonder what he'd have made of a Silva, Gundogan or Haaland?)
[Post edited 4 Jun 2023 13:05]

"Schmeichel might have been better at pure goalkeeper, but couldn't do what Ederson's required to do with the ball".

Though, as it was never asked of him, can we be sure of that?

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Non itfc City 23 vs utd 99 on 14:05 - Jun 4 with 1085 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Stones has looked utterly class since Pep moved him to the holding midfielder role. Distribution, ball winning, and general composure is fantastic.

Personally I think the quality of the game has moved on considerably since 1999 and not many of that team would get the nod over the current players. Stam was an absolute rock though.
Non itfc City 23 vs utd 99 on 14:21 - Jun 4 with 1075 viewsjayessess

Non itfc City 23 vs utd 99 on 13:55 - Jun 4 by monty_radio

"Schmeichel might have been better at pure goalkeeper, but couldn't do what Ederson's required to do with the ball".

Though, as it was never asked of him, can we be sure of that?

That's certainly true. Although if we're guessing, since it wasn't an attribute that clubs were actively scouting for, it's no more likely that was he was an elite ball playing goalkeeper than any other random professional keeper.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Non itfc City 23 vs utd 99 on 14:45 - Jun 4 with 1046 viewsbournemouthblue

Non itfc City 23 vs utd 99 on 11:24 - Jun 4 by BlueandTruesince82

Better keeper but not as good on the deck, which is important for Pep

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024