Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Alex Albon F1 Driver 09:23 - Jul 10 with 2523 viewsKeno

Read this morning he went to Ipswich School. Any know him and is he a town fan?
[Post edited 10 Jul 2023 9:42]

Poll: IF TWTD was a constituency who'd you vote for?
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Alex Albon F1 Driver on 09:37 - Jul 10 with 2446 viewshomer_123

Teen fan, not overly appropriate given the BBC situation Keno!!!

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Alex Albon F1 Driver on 09:43 - Jul 10 with 2421 viewsKeno

Alex Albon F1 Driver on 09:37 - Jul 10 by homer_123

Teen fan, not overly appropriate given the BBC situation Keno!!!

whoops edited

Alex Albon F1 Driver on 09:47 - Jul 10 with 2402 viewsblueislander

“Ipswich School” Too posh to be a Town fan?
Alex Albon F1 Driver on 09:53 - Jul 10 with 2374 viewsKeno

Alex Albon F1 Driver on 09:47 - Jul 10 by blueislander

Not a patch on Northgate

Alex Albon F1 Driver on 10:08 - Jul 10 with 2331 viewsSomethingBlue

Don't think he's a Town fan — think he was only at Ipswich School for a couple of years but may be wrong on that, isn't from the area originally.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Alex Albon F1 Driver on 10:17 - Jul 10 with 2285 viewsKeno

Alex Albon F1 Driver on 10:08 - Jul 10 by SomethingBlue

Don't think he's a Town fan — think he was only at Ipswich School for a couple of years but may be wrong on that, isn't from the area originally.

Born in London and grew up in Bures, which I think is Suffolk/Essex border somewhere

Alex Albon F1 Driver on 10:44 - Jul 10 with 2230 viewsGeoffSentence

Alex Albon F1 Driver on 10:17 - Jul 10 by Keno

Born in London and grew up in Bures, which I think is Suffolk/Essex border somewhere

Bures and Bures Hamlet are effectively the same place but sit on either side of the Essex Suffolk Border halfway between Colchester and Sudbury.

There is an old Saxon chapel in Bures which is reputedly the place where Edmund was crowned King of East Anglia, not in the Chapel itself that was built later, but on the same spot.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Alex Albon F1 Driver on 10:53 - Jul 10 with 2189 viewsKeno

Alex Albon F1 Driver on 10:44 - Jul 10 by GeoffSentence

Bures and Bures Hamlet are effectively the same place but sit on either side of the Essex Suffolk Border halfway between Colchester and Sudbury.

There is an old Saxon chapel in Bures which is reputedly the place where Edmund was crowned King of East Anglia, not in the Chapel itself that was built later, but on the same spot.

Not to be confused with nearby Mount Bures

Not named for having a mountain but for being the site of a motte and bailey castle built shortly after the Norman Conquest with the intention of subduing the revolting Northern Essex peasants

Login to get fewer ads

Alex Albon F1 Driver on 10:56 - Jul 10 with 2176 viewsGeoffSentence

Alex Albon F1 Driver on 10:53 - Jul 10 by Keno

Not named for having a mountain but for being the site of a motte and bailey castle built shortly after the Norman Conquest with the intention of subduing the revolting Northern Essex peasants

They also have a dragon.

Alex Albon F1 Driver on 10:57 - Jul 10 with 2154 viewsKeno

Alex Albon F1 Driver on 10:56 - Jul 10 by GeoffSentence

They also have a dragon.

woah!! thats cool

Is it called Puff?

Alex Albon F1 Driver on 10:59 - Jul 10 with 2137 viewsblueislander

Alex Albon F1 Driver on 09:53 - Jul 10 by Keno

Not a patch on Northgate

When I was at Northgate we never played Ipswich School at rugby for some reason. We did play cricket against them though.
Alex Albon F1 Driver on 10:59 - Jul 10 with 2133 viewsGeoffSentence

Alex Albon F1 Driver on 10:57 - Jul 10 by Keno

woah!! thats cool

Is it called Puff?

I think Puff The Magic Dragon was a heroin dragon, this one is just grass.

[Post edited 10 Jul 2023 11:00]

Alex Albon F1 Driver on 11:06 - Jul 10 with 2100 viewsitfcjoe

Alex Albon F1 Driver on 10:08 - Jul 10 by SomethingBlue

You are right, think he spent longer at Holmwood House so may still be one from being from that area - someone does need to find out though

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Alex Albon F1 Driver on 11:08 - Jul 10 with 2085 viewsKentish_Tractor

He would have joined Ipswich School just as I was leaving. Although from what I hear from younger alumni I believe he was only there for a couple of years and then left to persue his motor racing career. I don't think he's ever stated which football team he supports, if any.

I was never any good at rugby so not sure if we played Northgate at it - but I used to play in the tennis teams and we definitely played them at tennis. I went to St Margarets primary so within Northgate catchment (and would have gone there if I didn't pass my 11+) - the majority of my primary school friends went to Northgate. Good school. Produced a good few town academy products over the years. Always fun to play them at sports - usually good banter between us.

Poll: How often are you refreshing TWTD today?

Alex Albon F1 Driver on 11:11 - Jul 10 with 2036 viewsleitrimblue

Alex Albon F1 Driver on 10:53 - Jul 10 by Keno

Clearly it construction was unsuccessful, as the North Essex peasants are still as revolting as ever
Alex Albon F1 Driver on 11:13 - Jul 10 with 2022 viewsthe_toff

Alex Albon F1 Driver on 09:47 - Jul 10 by blueislander

All egg chasers and hockey sticks there isn’t it?
Alex Albon F1 Driver on 11:18 - Jul 10 with 1980 viewsKentish_Tractor

Alex Albon F1 Driver on 11:13 - Jul 10 by the_toff

All egg chasers and hockey sticks there isn’t it?

Pretty much. And cricket. Those are the main 3 sports over the 3 terms (and are compulsory in years 7 and 8). Football was not a main sport there - more an option you could choose if you wanted for games in the summer once you got to year 9 and above.

Alex Albon F1 Driver on 12:50 - Jul 10 with 1808 viewsDJR

Alex Albon F1 Driver on 10:59 - Jul 10 by blueislander

When I was at Northgate we never played Ipswich School at rugby for some reason. We did play cricket against them though.

We did play them at rugby when I was there in the 70s.

As it was, we tended to lose to the public schools which I put down to the fact that they trained much more than we did as they normally had a large number of boarders with time on their hands. Or was it just superior breeding?

But the best rugby team then by far was Wolverstone Hall, a state boarding school for mainly working class boys run by London County Council and then the Inner London Education Authority.

Its alumni include Martin Offiah, Graham Barlo, Ian McEwan, Phil Jupitus, Neil Pearson (the actor) and Peter Donaldson (the newsreader).
[Post edited 10 Jul 2023 12:51]
Alex Albon F1 Driver on 12:57 - Jul 10 with 1767 viewsAero

https://www.suffolklive.com/news/suffolk-news/alex-albon-suffolk-f1-driver-59296

"Alex had a turbulent childhood as his mum Kankamol was jailed for six years at Ipswich Crown Court in 2012 after admitting to running numerous multi-million-pound scams."
Alex Albon F1 Driver on 13:05 - Jul 10 with 1724 viewsWeWereZombies

Alex Albon F1 Driver on 12:50 - Jul 10 by DJR

We did play them at rugby when I was there in the 70s.

As it was, we tended to lose to the public schools which I put down to the fact that they trained much more than we did as they normally had a large number of boarders with time on their hands. Or was it just superior breeding?

But the best rugby team then by far was Wolverstone Hall, a state boarding school for mainly working class boys run by London County Council and then the Inner London Education Authority.

Its alumni include Martin Offiah, Graham Barlo, Ian McEwan, Phil Jupitus, Neil Pearson (the actor) and Peter Donaldson (the newsreader).
[Post edited 10 Jul 2023 12:51]

When I was at Northgate back in the late sixties we had a really bad run of getting beaten every year by Wymondham and Culford, not that I was anywhere near the school team (although no matter how useless I was I was always selected for the house fifteen and house cricket team, I think it was down to getting someone who could at least understand the rules of the game.)

Bit confused by Kentish_Tractors' claim that you went to Northgate if you failed your eleven plus as I went there because I passed, as did the rest of my year. And we knew how to spell 'pursue'...

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Alex Albon F1 Driver on 15:02 - Jul 10 with 1476 viewsKentish_Tractor

Alex Albon F1 Driver on 13:05 - Jul 10 by WeWereZombies

When I was at Northgate back in the late sixties we had a really bad run of getting beaten every year by Wymondham and Culford, not that I was anywhere near the school team (although no matter how useless I was I was always selected for the house fifteen and house cricket team, I think it was down to getting someone who could at least understand the rules of the game.)

Bit confused by Kentish_Tractors' claim that you went to Northgate if you failed your eleven plus as I went there because I passed, as did the rest of my year. And we knew how to spell 'pursue'...

I do however know how to use an apostrophe correctly

But that's not what I said. The 11+ was basically the entrance exam - it hasn't been compulsory for all students since the 1970s.

Alex Albon F1 Driver on 15:11 - Jul 10 with 1435 viewsCoastalblue

Alex Albon F1 Driver on 11:11 - Jul 10 by leitrimblue

Clearly it construction was unsuccessful, as the North Essex peasants are still as revolting as ever

As a revolting North Essex peasant myself I am extremely offended, in no way are we subdued.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024