Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? 10:30 - Sep 8 with 5748 viewsPique

Roy Wegerle
Imre Varadi
Mark Falco
Ian Ormondroyd
Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 13:04 - Sep 8 with 925 viewsgainsboroughblue

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 13:02 - Sep 8 by farkenhell

Little known fact (at least I think it's little known) but Imre Varadi was indirectly responsible for the inflatable craze that plagued domestic football for a bit in the late '80s. He was a bit of a cult hero at Man City and the crowd would sing his name. That gradually changed to "Imre Banana" (nope, I'm perplexed as well) and then fans started to bring inflatable bananas to games. That spread to different clubs and different inflatables. I don't know whether we saw inflatable horses at PR (I was at Uni at the time, so didn't see many Town games)?

As for random players, I quite liked Kevin Francis of Stockport County ("freeeeak"). I've no idea why! Also Micky Quinn.

We never really got into the inflatables thing here. I do remember Man City bringing hundreds of those banana things here though. Must have been around 87/88.

Norwich had inflatable canaries and Grimsby brought down their cods but can't recall many others.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 13:20 - Sep 8 with 899 viewsfarkenhell

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 13:04 - Sep 8 by gainsboroughblue

We never really got into the inflatables thing here. I do remember Man City bringing hundreds of those banana things here though. Must have been around 87/88.

Norwich had inflatable canaries and Grimsby brought down their cods but can't recall many others.

Forest had inflatable trees, Stoke had pink panthers (no idea why), West Ham hammers. I'm sure there were a few others.
Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 13:25 - Sep 8 with 888 viewsgainsboroughblue

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 13:20 - Sep 8 by farkenhell

Forest had inflatable trees, Stoke had pink panthers (no idea why), West Ham hammers. I'm sure there were a few others.

I remember the Hammers now you mention.

Grimsby came down here with the fish for that cup tie in 93 at a time when I thought the craze had passed.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 13:49 - Sep 8 with 866 viewsstrikalite

As a partnership Steve Bull and Andy Mutch..

Georgi Kinkladzi

Back then players had season upon season at the same Club, hardly any live TV but they made headlines in the back pages time and again...
Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 14:08 - Sep 8 with 854 viewsPerublue

My mate Nobby Solano

Poll: Rugby World Cup Winner ?

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 14:08 - Sep 8 with 853 viewsWeWereZombies

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 13:25 - Sep 8 by gainsboroughblue

I remember the Hammers now you mention.

Grimsby came down here with the fish for that cup tie in 93 at a time when I thought the craze had passed.

Shrewsbury supporting friend of mine back in those days proudly related that one of theirs brought a bona fide sex doll along as their contribution to the craze and positioned himself (...no I won't say it...) close to the the corner flag to ensure a bit of TV coverage.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 14:09 - Sep 8 with 853 viewsArnoldMoorhen

From the 90s I'll throw in Dave Challinor the long throw king.

I felt at the time that he should have been included in England Euro/World Cup squads so that he could be brought on if we were behind with 5 minutes to play.

Win a throw in 20 yards into own half, Michael Owen sprints between their Central Defenders into their half, can't be offside, Challinor lobs it over the top, Owen rounds the keeper and scores.
Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 14:09 - Sep 8 with 852 viewsPerublue

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 14:08 - Sep 8 by Perublue

My mate Nobby Solano

Asprilla too and I also loved a bit of Kinkladze

Login to get fewer ads

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 14:18 - Sep 8 with 841 viewsBlueBoots

Paulo Wanchope - only player in the history of the sport who could simultaneously make it look like he had perfect control and no control whatsoever over a football at his feet...

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 14:18 - Sep 8 with 839 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 14:08 - Sep 8 by Perublue

My mate Nobby Solano

Nobby was adored in the North East (I lived up there at the end of the 90s/early 2000s). One of those who could see things others couldn't, and always seemed to play the game with a smile on his face.

A South American Conor Chaplin.

Newcastle had a succession of "How on earth did they find them?" players. Faustino Asprilla was probably the next most impactful after Solano, but on a "random footballers of the 90s" thread, Temuri Ketsbaia surely deserves a mention.

No one could accuse him of not caring enough!
Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 14:20 - Sep 8 with 840 viewsVaughan8

Not sure about Favourite but I rememeber that Kevin Francis playing for Birmingham(?) and we used to sit near the front of the Cobbald. I was only small and he came over and my god he was tall! haha
Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 14:39 - Sep 8 with 830 viewsPerublue

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 14:18 - Sep 8 by ArnoldMoorhen

Nobby was adored in the North East (I lived up there at the end of the 90s/early 2000s). One of those who could see things others couldn't, and always seemed to play the game with a smile on his face.

A South American Conor Chaplin.

Newcastle had a succession of "How on earth did they find them?" players. Faustino Asprilla was probably the next most impactful after Solano, but on a "random footballers of the 90s" thread, Temuri Ketsbaia surely deserves a mention.

No one could accuse him of not caring enough!

I haven't opened the video (as i can't) but is it the advertising board kicking ?
Nobby still smiles,saw him recently at our daughters swimming club..until recently he was assistant manager of Peru.

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 14:46 - Sep 8 with 822 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 14:39 - Sep 8 by Perublue

I haven't opened the video (as i can't) but is it the advertising board kicking ?
Nobby still smiles,saw him recently at our daughters swimming club..until recently he was assistant manager of Peru.

The advertising board goal "kicks things off" in that video, alongside various "No, I am not going to pass to an unmarked Alan Shearer when I can dribble past every player on the pitch myself" moments.

Shearer must have hated having the only professional footballer greedily than him join the team!
Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 14:54 - Sep 8 with 818 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Cantona, flair, arrogance, drop kicking opposition fans.

Andre kanchelskis was some player who probably never got the plaudits he deserved

Taribo West just for the hair.

Brian Deane, beast

Carlos Valdarama, again hair.

Jay Jay Okocha, some Bolton team that when you look at the players they had but Okocha was something else

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 15:00 - Sep 8 with 811 viewsPerublue

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 14:54 - Sep 8 by BlueandTruesince82

Cantona, flair, arrogance, drop kicking opposition fans.

Andre kanchelskis was some player who probably never got the plaudits he deserved

Taribo West just for the hair.

Brian Deane, beast

Carlos Valdarama, again hair.

Jay Jay Okocha, some Bolton team that when you look at the players they had but Okocha was something else

Agree Kanchelskis was awesome.....and Okocha was my fave player for quite a while he was incredible...who was that over Bolton player ..English I think scored loadsaround the same time,maybe just before okocha...Lee ?

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 15:02 - Sep 8 with 809 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 14:20 - Sep 8 by Vaughan8

Not sure about Favourite but I rememeber that Kevin Francis playing for Birmingham(?) and we used to sit near the front of the Cobbald. I was only small and he came over and my god he was tall! haha

And Peter Ndlovu. I watched us play Birmingham away at St Andrew's, high up, perfect view.

At every goal kick Birmingham would shovel all their players across to one side of the pitch. We followed.

Then two or three goal kicks into the match, they did it again. We followed. Except little Peter Ndlovu, who glued himself to the opposite touchline. None of our players noticed.

Cue the long kick over the Half Way line to Ndlovu's side. He was quick. Acres of space. Draws the goalie, pulls back for a tap in, I can't remember by but logic dictates it was either Paul Peschisolido or Paul Devlin.

Having seen Steve Bull and Andy Mutch mentioned above, I think Marco Gabbiadini is worth naming. Having been a decent second tier striker, he dropped down the leagues and was prolific, for Darlington I think.

In terms of players who did well against us, it felt like Kevin Campbell scored about half his career goals against Ipswich.
Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 15:04 - Sep 8 with 806 viewsPerublue

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 15:00 - Sep 8 by Perublue

Agree Kanchelskis was awesome.....and Okocha was my fave player for quite a while he was incredible...who was that over Bolton player ..English I think scored loadsaround the same time,maybe just before okocha...Lee ?

David Lee...didn't score loads,but was great for a season or two....Mickey Thomas ex-various welsh wing....and another shout out to George Berry...remember him more with Stoke than Wolves and remember we thumped them.

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 15:06 - Sep 8 with 802 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 15:00 - Sep 8 by Perublue

David Lee.

Okocha didn't actually sign for them until 02!

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 15:08 - Sep 8 with 801 viewsPerublue

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 15:02 - Sep 8 by ArnoldMoorhen

And Peter Ndlovu. I watched us play Birmingham away at St Andrew's, high up, perfect view.

At every goal kick Birmingham would shovel all their players across to one side of the pitch. We followed.

Then two or three goal kicks into the match, they did it again. We followed. Except little Peter Ndlovu, who glued himself to the opposite touchline. None of our players noticed.

Cue the long kick over the Half Way line to Ndlovu's side. He was quick. Acres of space. Draws the goalie, pulls back for a tap in, I can't remember by but logic dictates it was either Paul Peschisolido or Paul Devlin.

Having seen Steve Bull and Andy Mutch mentioned above, I think Marco Gabbiadini is worth naming. Having been a decent second tier striker, he dropped down the leagues and was prolific, for Darlington I think.

In terms of players who did well against us, it felt like Kevin Campbell scored about half his career goals against Ipswich.

Always remember this

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 15:10 - Sep 8 with 795 viewsPerublue

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 15:06 - Sep 8 by BlueandTruesince82

David Lee.

Okocha didn't actually sign for them until 02!

Jeez..time does play tricks

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 15:28 - Sep 8 with 785 viewsDubtractor

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 12:43 - Sep 8 by Pique

They're random in the sense that, despite none of them ever being greatly feted, they stick in my memory. Varadi, for example, played for 16 clubs, including Man City, Newcastle, Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday etc, and even won the old First Division, but never stayed anywhere for more than a year or two.

It's just a bit of fun, feel free to explore other threads.

I'm completely with you on the op.

Amusing to recall forgotten/obscure players.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 15:35 - Sep 8 with 773 viewshoppy

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 15:04 - Sep 8 by Perublue

David Lee...didn't score loads,but was great for a season or two....Mickey Thomas ex-various welsh wing....and another shout out to George Berry...remember him more with Stoke than Wolves and remember we thumped them.

George Berry was who I immediately had in mind in response to the OP... completely random, based on his Panini football sticker picture... probably several other equally random players for exactly the same reason, but he jumped to my mind...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 15:36 - Sep 8 with 776 viewsPique

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 15:28 - Sep 8 by Dubtractor

I'm completely with you on the op.

Amusing to recall forgotten/obscure players.

I saw you got it straight away Dubtractor - Peter Beagrie, what a great shout. Remember the somersault? Was it him who famously crawled out of that ruck of players in an Everton v Wimbledon game, or was that Ian Snodin?

Edit - it was Ian Snodin!

Saw someone else nominate Mickey Quinn, what a shout that is too. His physique would preclude him from Premier League (and possibly League) football these days, but he didn't half bang them in.
[Post edited 8 Sep 2023 15:39]
Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 15:41 - Sep 8 with 756 viewsPerublue

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 15:35 - Sep 8 by hoppy

George Berry was who I immediately had in mind in response to the OP... completely random, based on his Panini football sticker picture... probably several other equally random players for exactly the same reason, but he jumped to my mind...

This is odd....i too instantly thought of him when I read the OP ...
[Post edited 8 Sep 2023 15:42]

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 15:44 - Sep 8 with 740 viewshoppy

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 15:41 - Sep 8 by Perublue

This is odd....i too instantly thought of him when I read the OP ...
[Post edited 8 Sep 2023 15:42]

And the best random manager.. for the same reason, was always Jimmy Sirrel...

[Post edited 8 Sep 2023 15:45]

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024