Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jude Bellingham 21:25 - Sep 12 with 3951 viewsGlasgowBlue

World class.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Jude Bellingham on 23:56 - Sep 12 with 1169 viewstractordownsouth

Jude Bellingham on 21:45 - Sep 12 by ipswichtillidie

Exciting.. for me we haven’t had a world class player since Gazza. World class being defined as no better player for his position in the World. If he’s not there yet he will be soon.

Not to diminish the performance of Bellingham, who is genuinely excellent, but even using a fairly strict definition of world class, I’m not sure that’s true.

Ashley Cole was the best left back in the world in the 2000s and you could make a case for either John Terry or Rio Ferdinand being the best centre back too.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Jude Bellingham on 08:03 - Sep 13 with 1051 viewsVic

Jude Bellingham on 23:39 - Sep 12 by Vaughan8

Zidane like? Really?

I think we might need to calm down a little haha

Yep, I really do think that! Go check out some videos of Zidane, watch the way he moved, his strength, his close control of the ball at speed and his eye for the pass. Not saying Bellingham is at quite the same level yet, but for me the similarities are there.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Jude Bellingham on 08:04 - Sep 13 with 1047 viewsiamatractorboy

Exciting.. for me we haven’t had a world class player since Gazza. World class being defined as no better player for his position in the World. If he’s not there yet he will be soon.

Ashley Cole?
Jude Bellingham on 08:23 - Sep 13 with 1011 viewsDJR

Whilst he may well turn out to be the genuine article, not least because Real Madrid have bought him, interesting to hear Chris Waddle say we will only really be able to say he is truly world class if he is producing the goods in five years' time. He pointed to the fact that England have had a number of young players who burst on to the scene but never really went on to fulfil their potential. Michael Owen springs to mind.
Jude Bellingham on 08:31 - Sep 13 with 983 viewsMetal_Hacker

Jude Bellingham on 08:23 - Sep 13 by DJR

Whilst he may well turn out to be the genuine article, not least because Real Madrid have bought him, interesting to hear Chris Waddle say we will only really be able to say he is truly world class if he is producing the goods in five years' time. He pointed to the fact that England have had a number of young players who burst on to the scene but never really went on to fulfil their potential. Michael Owen springs to mind.

Did Waddle mention world class players having the ability to take a decent penalty ?

I agree to a point but JB has it all at the moment and it's as clear as day

Whether he's doing it in 5 years is another conversation but right now he's one of the best players out there .... the guy will only get better IMHO

Poll: If it were one or the other

Jude Bellingham on 08:58 - Sep 13 with 941 viewstractorboy1978

Jude Bellingham on 08:31 - Sep 13 by Metal_Hacker

Did Waddle mention world class players having the ability to take a decent penalty ?

I agree to a point but JB has it all at the moment and it's as clear as day

Whether he's doing it in 5 years is another conversation but right now he's one of the best players out there .... the guy will only get better IMHO

He's got the temperament to go with the ability too. I can only see him getting better which is frightening really!
Jude Bellingham on 09:46 - Sep 13 with 900 viewsgordon

Don't agree with that at all - Gascoigne was talented, but he really just had a few good seasons at Tottenham when domestic English football was nowhere near as strong as it is now, and then flopped in a tougher league. Not remotely close to eg Platini, Matthaus, Maradona in terms of consistent performances at top level.

But then later on, players like Ferdinand, Cole, Terry, Beckham, Scholes and Gerrard could definitely make a case for being consistently comparable to the best players in their position in the world over a number of years - they just never (for whatever reason) gelled into a really strong international team.
Jude Bellingham on 10:38 - Sep 13 with 859 viewsLion

Jude Bellingham on 21:44 - Sep 12 by Vic

Yes, yes - that’s who he reminds me of. Thank you - I knew I’d seen that run, strength and elegance somewhere before. He’s actually an AI of Zidane isn’t he!

I agree 100 per cent, some people have compared him to Gazza - i can see some similarities with how he dribbles with the ball - but for me he does really remind me of Zidane.

Poll: Is Blue Badger ( booooooooooooooo ) a cyber bully?

Login to get fewer ads

Jude Bellingham on 10:44 - Sep 13 with 846 viewsipswichtillidie

Jude Bellingham on 09:46 - Sep 13 by gordon

Don't agree with that at all - Gascoigne was talented, but he really just had a few good seasons at Tottenham when domestic English football was nowhere near as strong as it is now, and then flopped in a tougher league. Not remotely close to eg Platini, Matthaus, Maradona in terms of consistent performances at top level.

But then later on, players like Ferdinand, Cole, Terry, Beckham, Scholes and Gerrard could definitely make a case for being consistently comparable to the best players in their position in the world over a number of years - they just never (for whatever reason) gelled into a really strong international team.

And this is why we love football eh we all have opinions. You’re not wrong and I’m not wrong. Just a perspective of how things are seen in moments.

Gav

Jude Bellingham on 10:49 - Sep 13 with 839 viewsLion

Jude Bellingham on 23:39 - Sep 12 by Vaughan8

Zidane like? Really?

I think we might need to calm down a little haha

I don't think MOST people are getting too carried away, but he definitely reminds me of Zidane more than any other player. Of course he is not as good as Zidane at his peak, but he is just 20 years old, so he is not anywhere near his peak you would feel, at a tremendous club but away from all the hyperbole of the english media and printed press that like to build people up to destroy them. Maybe he is as good as ZZ when he was also 20 though, maybe he is even better......

Jude Bellingham on 10:55 - Sep 13 with 828 viewsLion

Jude Bellingham on 08:23 - Sep 13 by DJR

I think similarly to Robbie Fowler, Michael Owen came on the scene so young he was kind of burnt out by 27, along with perhaps his injuries catching up with him, and he was very reliant on his pace. But for a period, Michael Owen WAS world class, wasn't he?

Jude Bellingham on 11:18 - Sep 13 with 817 viewscrouchendyachtclub

Jude Bellingham on 10:55 - Sep 13 by Lion

I think similarly to Robbie Fowler, Michael Owen came on the scene so young he was kind of burnt out by 27, along with perhaps his injuries catching up with him, and he was very reliant on his pace. But for a period, Michael Owen WAS world class, wasn't he?

I saw a stat when Evan Ferguson got a hat trick the other day, 18 year olds have scored 6 hat tricks in the premier league, Ferguson, Fowler, Bart-Williams (!!) have 3, the other 3 were Michael Owen.
Jude Bellingham on 11:34 - Sep 13 with 795 viewsipswichtillidie

Jude Bellingham on 23:56 - Sep 12 by tractordownsouth

Not to diminish the performance of Bellingham, who is genuinely excellent, but even using a fairly strict definition of world class, I’m not sure that’s true.

Ashley Cole was the best left back in the world in the 2000s and you could make a case for either John Terry or Rio Ferdinand being the best centre back too.

I think the use of the term “ world class” means so many different things to so many different people with no definition as such. As such in your opinion a LB even though he was the best in the world can’t be world class at the time. I would hold a different opinion on this but see your perspective.

Gav

Jude Bellingham on 11:48 - Sep 13 with 776 viewsLion

Jude Bellingham on 11:18 - Sep 13 by crouchendyachtclub

I saw a stat when Evan Ferguson got a hat trick the other day, 18 year olds have scored 6 hat tricks in the premier league, Ferguson, Fowler, Bart-Williams (!!) have 3, the other 3 were Michael Owen.

Wow, bart-williams, i remember that now! ( im old )

Jude Bellingham on 13:30 - Sep 13 with 723 viewsCharlie_pl_baxter

Don't think a player has to be the absolute best in the world to be considered world class. For me it's enough to be competing for that title, especially as settling on the actual best is super subjective.

Poll: We recruit two strikers, one has to be Bonne or Wickham, who would you have?

Jude Bellingham on 18:14 - Sep 13 with 643 viewsWD19

Ashley Cole.

And Rooney was carrying England in the 2004 Euros until he got injured.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024