Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New York accommodation advice wanted. 16:35 - Oct 10 with 2321 viewssoupytwist

Planning a wedding anniversary trip to New York around this time next year.
Historically, there's been loads of New York travel-related advice on here but most of it pre-dates the pandemic and the city's recent crackdown on unlicensed AirBnB rentals.
Does anyone have any post-pandemic advice on which parts of New York to stay in for a first timer and recommendations for hotels/accommodation rentals please?
We'd like to do most of the usual things - Central Park, Ellis Island, MoMA, go up a tall building etc. and there will be just the two of us.
Thanks
New York accommodation advice wanted. on 16:40 - Oct 10 with 2284 viewsTractorCam

I've booked a 4 star hotel in Times Square for just over £1k for a week in March. Plenty of decent hotels in that area for good prices when I was looking.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

New York accommodation advice wanted. on 16:52 - Oct 10 with 2238 viewsKeno

just be careful how you ask, I said I wanted to spent a night in Queens once and I really wasnt expecting the accommodation I was offered!!

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

[Redacted] on 17:07 - Oct 10 with 2210 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
New York accommodation advice wanted. on 17:11 - Oct 10 with 2202 viewsFixed_It

Last year we stayed in the Hampton Inn, Times Square North. Good location, reasonable price and breakfast included which was a real bonus.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

New York accommodation advice wanted. on 17:12 - Oct 10 with 2171 viewsfactual_blue

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

New York accommodation advice wanted. on 19:11 - Oct 10 with 2036 viewsJakeITFC

Stayed here last week: https://www.citizenm.com/hotels/united-states/new-york/new-york-bowery-hotel

Great location, brilliant rooftop bar with 360 views and nice rooms (albeit on the small side, but imagine that's probably par for the course in Manhattan). Interesting part of town for food, shopping and bars but I think that's probably true of everywhere there.
New York accommodation advice wanted. on 19:31 - Oct 10 with 1988 viewsOldFart71

Have you thought of a cruise ? Sky Princess sails from Southampton on the 15th September 2024 for 31 nights Canada and New England. Includes stop offs at Quebec 2 days, Halifax, New York 2 days, Rhode Island. Suppose it depends whether you are in fulltime work and are only looking for a week or weekend. Have you been to NYC before ? Great place. Despite being an old fart in my 70's the place gives me a real buzz. We did one of those water taxi's across to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island and came back and walked through Battery Park where they had a memorial of 9/11 and flags signifying all the fallen. Been to Macey's and Tiffany's and took photo's of the concierge outside Trump Tower. Had a pretzel off a street trader. Bought M&M's and Hershey sweets from Times Squares for the Kids and Grandchildren. Went on a day trip to the Hamptons which is where apparently New Yorkers go on their hols. Been down the East Coast of American 5 times and never get fed up. Been to Salem to the Witch Museum. Bought a great witch for Hallowen. Told the wife to wriggle about a bit so I could tell which was witch. On our first trip to the US and New York we went to a place called the Winter Gardens that overlooked the remains on the twin towers that was in 2006, they were still clear the site then.
New York accommodation advice wanted. on 19:52 - Oct 10 with 1936 viewssoupytwist

New York accommodation advice wanted. on 19:11 - Oct 10 by JakeITFC

Stayed here last week: https://www.citizenm.com/hotels/united-states/new-york/new-york-bowery-hotel

Great location, brilliant rooftop bar with 360 views and nice rooms (albeit on the small side, but imagine that's probably par for the course in Manhattan). Interesting part of town for food, shopping and bars but I think that's probably true of everywhere there.

That place is on the possibles list, good to hear it's decent.
Login to get fewer ads

New York accommodation advice wanted. on 21:20 - Oct 10 with 1867 viewsRob88

Stayed in the InterContinental New York Barclay a couple of Decembers ago. Did the job and well located.
New York accommodation advice wanted. on 07:14 - Oct 11 with 1726 viewsmikeybloo88

Stayed at The Kixby on W35th St. near the ESB...great location near Herald Square subway station which is a main station with all the lines through it so easy to go anywhere from there. On the pricier side of budget but it was our anniversary too so worth it.
New York accommodation advice wanted. on 09:48 - Oct 11 with 1660 viewsITFC_Blood

Amazing place been a few times since Covid

1. Make sure you do the edge, awsum view and a glass floor of you can handle it lol

2. Walk the high line, starts at the bottom of the island and end near penn station

3. Circle line boat tour of the island. Sunset one is good

4. My best experience recently was sun set dinner at top of World Trade Center. Check the sunset time and book 1 hour before. Security is very tight so allow plenty of time

I always stay in the Knickle Bocker . 20 secs from time square but not noisy also has an awsum cocktail
Bar

Poll: Do you want Jewell sacked?
Blog: [Blog] Different Season, Same Problems

New York accommodation advice wanted. on 09:56 - Oct 11 with 1638 viewsKungfuBlue

Anywhere around the Mid town area will give you most options both hotel wise and things to see.

If you’re looking for a reasonable priced ok hotel chain look up Club Quarters, they have a number of hotels around time square and central station areas. I use them frequently pre Covid when travelling for work.

Also be mindful when setting expectations of the hotel that real estate in Manhattan is expensive so a lot of hotel rooms are very small and don’t compare well in the size of room to cost ratios. Guess it all depends if you intend to spend any real time at the hotel or will be out seeing all the sights.
New York accommodation advice wanted. on 14:29 - Oct 11 with 1547 viewsBluespeed225

[Redacted] on 17:07 - Oct 10 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

I had a girlfriend who was born in Suffolk St! These days I don’t go much above 14th Street. Try Flannerys, my old local, corner of 14th and 7th Ave. Spurs bar these days, but Irish , ask for barman Johnny Egan, mention your Ipswich and he’ll look after you. Go as a stranger, leave as a drunk.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2023 20:09]
New York accommodation advice wanted. on 14:55 - Oct 11 with 1513 viewsgiant_stow

I've only been once ages back, but the place we stayed seemed nice and central, while still being relatively cheap: Spanish Harlem area.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

New York accommodation advice wanted. on 15:38 - Oct 11 with 1488 viewsBlueorder

Riu Plaza 5 mins from Times square. Very clean and tidy with a fantastic breakfast included. I stayed there about 4 weeks ago.
New York accommodation advice wanted. on 19:18 - Oct 11 with 1390 viewsIpswich1984

Stayed at the Arlo Soho a few times since Covid, Rooms are compadt but fine for a couple. Would definitely recommend, they do have some other locations too but walked to quite a lot of locations from there.

Also near to Dominique Ansel bakery for a Cronut

Poll: Should there be a lap of honour after the Sheffield United game?

New York accommodation advice wanted. on 19:30 - Oct 11 with 1374 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

If you wanted to do it cheaper you could stay in Hoboken and easily get a quick the bus over, sweeping views of manhattan as well. If staying on the island I generally eat and drink on the lower east side but depends what you’re looking for.
New York accommodation advice wanted. on 19:31 - Oct 11 with 1374 viewsTractorWood

Park terrace at Bryant Park.

Hotels are expensive btw in Mid-town bit it's where I always stay.

You can wander everywhere. I tend to jog around Central Park in the morning.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2023 19:35]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024