Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Burnley 08:40 - Nov 1 with 3017 viewsblueoxford

Apologies if this has already been posted, but after 14 games last year, Burnley were top of the Championship with 25 points (same as Leeds’ current tally). Just goes to show how good a start us (34 pts with a game in hand) and Leicester (39 pts) have had…
Burnley on 08:52 - Nov 1 with 2887 viewsPinewoodblue

Weren’t Luton, after 14 games, lower in the table than Norwich are now.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Burnley on 08:55 - Nov 1 with 2862 viewstractorboy1978

In the last two years, the top 2 after 14 games have ended up the top 2 at the end of the season - with considerably less points as you've highlighted. Three years ago Norwich toppled Watford but they were only a point behind after 14 games.
Burnley on 09:07 - Nov 1 with 2810 viewsfranz_tyson

QPR were top after ... um...
10-12 games(?).... but then were scrambling to avoid relegation at the end of the season. Relegation won't trouble us, but it's possible that things can go t#ts up badly.

If we were offered guaranteed top six now and sacrifice top two ... how many would go for it? I'm enjoying it while it lasts.... but I don't think we'll last the season and be top two
Burnley on 09:13 - Nov 1 with 2772 viewstractorboy1978

Burnley on 09:07 - Nov 1 by franz_tyson

10-12 games(?).... but then were scrambling to avoid relegation at the end of the season. Relegation won't trouble us, but it's possible that things can go t#ts up badly.

If we were offered guaranteed top six now and sacrifice top two ... how many would go for it? I'm enjoying it while it lasts.... but I don't think we'll last the season and be top two

I personally think you will look very silly for your second paragraph in a couple of months.
Burnley on 09:15 - Nov 1 with 2756 viewsDubtractor

Pretty certain they weren't top, but regardless the key point was that they lost their manager and replaced him with Ainsworth.....

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Burnley on 09:24 - Nov 1 with 2703 viewsStewart27

Absolutely not. I’d happily settle for top 6 obviously but no way am I sticking on it!
Burnley on 09:29 - Nov 1 with 2673 viewsSmithersJones

Burnley on 09:15 - Nov 1 by Dubtractor

Pretty certain they weren't top, but regardless the key point was that they lost their manager and replaced him with Ainsworth.....

QPR were top after 16 games with 30 points. Their form fell off a cliff after Beale turned down the Wolves job. He subsequently went to Rangers, Neil Critchley replaced him. Ainsworth didn’t join til early 2023.
Burnley on 09:30 - Nov 1 with 2661 viewstractorboy1978

Burnley on 09:13 - Nov 1 by tractorboy1978

I personally think you will look very silly for your second paragraph in a couple of months.

Just to add to this...

Cardiff got 49 points from 46 games last season, which barring Reading's points deduction would have seen them relegated - 1.07 points per game. If we get 1.07 points per game (relegation form) from here on in, we will end up on 69 points which was enough for 6th last season. Even legislating for 69 points being a low total for PO's, we would have to be catastrophically bad not to make the top 6 from here. The likelihood that a team flying high on confidence with 24 wins from their last 28 league games (and scoring goals for fun) suddenly starts losing game after game is miniscule to the point of being almost impossible.
Login to get fewer ads

Burnley on 09:48 - Nov 1 with 2579 viewsBasuco

Often teams have may have a good start then a "blip" in Jan/Feb and a strong finish, or go through to March/April and fall away at the end of the season.
But we have super Kieran McKenna so anything can happen and I am loving the fantastic football we get to see each week. What will be will be at the end of the season.
Burnley on 09:52 - Nov 1 with 2545 viewsITFC_Forever

They had already started their slide before Beale went - they were 5 or 6 games without a win in the immediate period before he went to the other Rangers.

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Burnley on 10:30 - Nov 1 with 2368 viewsbluelou

Burnley on 08:52 - Nov 1 by Pinewoodblue

Coventry were bottom after 11 games and 22nd after 15 also...

Poll: What will have the greatest positive impact on attendances next season?

Burnley on 10:33 - Nov 1 with 2356 viewsPinewoodblue

Burnley on 10:30 - Nov 1 by bluelou

Which goes to show how things can change.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Burnley on 10:52 - Nov 1 with 2218 viewspositivity

Burnley on 10:30 - Nov 1 by bluelou

extra perspective, cov finished in the playoffs, but when they were 22nd after 15 they were only 11 points behind norwich (5th) with 3 games in hand, so not that big an achievement!

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Burnley on 11:01 - Nov 1 with 2181 viewsRadlett_blue

QPR were top of the Championship after 16 games. Michael Beale turned down an offer from Wolves in October, made a statement about integrity & loyalty & then jumped ship to join Rangers (where he had been coach under Steven Gerrard) the next month, during the World Cup break. QPR's early promise had already tailed off, with them collecting only 1pt from their last 5 games.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Burnley on 11:55 - Nov 1 with 2030 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

Burnley on 09:48 - Nov 1 by Basuco

Often teams have may have a good start then a "blip" in Jan/Feb and a strong finish, or go through to March/April and fall away at the end of the season.
But we have super Kieran McKenna so anything can happen and I am loving the fantastic football we get to see each week. What will be will be at the end of the season.

We'll have a blip at some point, as will Leicester, however we do have the luxury of another transfer window approaching where we can make changes where necessary.

We do need another striker with a bit more experience in the mix, Scarlett hasn't adapted to the Championship yet, and getting a player like an Adam Armstrong from Southampton would be a Stewart-esque time signing that could be the difference between promotion and not in my view. That's not a knock on Hirst/Chaplin/Ladapo in anyway, they just clearly get tired playing as we do and we just need another option. I am hoping Axel T. is the man to help cut out some of the leaks at the back and the odd mistakes with his pedigree.

A dip will come and that is fine, it's football, we just need to be resilient when it does.
Burnley on 12:05 - Nov 1 with 1971 viewsGeoffSentence

Burnley on 08:52 - Nov 1 by Pinewoodblue

https://www.twtd.co.uk/league-tables/competition:championship/daterange/fromdate

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Burnley on 12:08 - Nov 1 with 1959 viewsGeoffSentence

It took them 18 games to exceed our current total.

We still won't win it.

Feckin Leicester.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Burnley on 12:14 - Nov 1 with 1918 viewsRadlett_blue

Burnley on 11:55 - Nov 1 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

We'll have a blip at some point, as will Leicester, however we do have the luxury of another transfer window approaching where we can make changes where necessary.

We do need another striker with a bit more experience in the mix, Scarlett hasn't adapted to the Championship yet, and getting a player like an Adam Armstrong from Southampton would be a Stewart-esque time signing that could be the difference between promotion and not in my view. That's not a knock on Hirst/Chaplin/Ladapo in anyway, they just clearly get tired playing as we do and we just need another option. I am hoping Axel T. is the man to help cut out some of the leaks at the back and the odd mistakes with his pedigree.

A dip will come and that is fine, it's football, we just need to be resilient when it does.

Yes, will be interesting to see what happens in the January window. If we're still going well, I would expect our owners to give McKenna the backing he wants.
Scarlett is only 19 & the Championship is a step up from League 1 at Pompey last season, where he wasn't exactly an unqualified success. I don't know if there is a recall clause as Spurs might want him to go elsewhere if he isn't getting any game time.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Burnley on 12:16 - Nov 1 with 1904 viewstractorboy1978

Burnley on 12:14 - Nov 1 by Radlett_blue

Yes, will be interesting to see what happens in the January window. If we're still going well, I would expect our owners to give McKenna the backing he wants.
Scarlett is only 19 & the Championship is a step up from League 1 at Pompey last season, where he wasn't exactly an unqualified success. I don't know if there is a recall clause as Spurs might want him to go elsewhere if he isn't getting any game time.

He can't go anywhere else as he's already played for us and Spurs.
Burnley on 12:54 - Nov 1 with 1794 viewsstrikalite

Burnley on 11:55 - Nov 1 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

Very unlikely we'd get someone like Armstrong from a rival club who will have something to play for no doubt to come here in Jan, they simply won't allow it, the price would be crazy, any in form striker will ask daft money or simply won't sell.

It's a Prem loan no doubt..
[Post edited 1 Nov 2023 12:55]
Burnley on 13:07 - Nov 1 with 1736 viewsBlueNomad

Burnley on 12:54 - Nov 1 by strikalite

Very unlikely we'd get someone like Armstrong from a rival club who will have something to play for no doubt to come here in Jan, they simply won't allow it, the price would be crazy, any in form striker will ask daft money or simply won't sell.

It's a Prem loan no doubt..
[Post edited 1 Nov 2023 12:55]

Does Alvarez want more playing time?
Burnley on 14:40 - Nov 1 with 1598 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

Burnley on 12:14 - Nov 1 by Radlett_blue

I was surprised we loaned him tbh, I would have preferred we bought him and developed him from scratch. He could do with another season in League One finding his feet rather than in the Championship. McKenna rates him enough to think he adds value, but I cant help think that resources would be better spent on our own player than Spurs's.
Burnley on 17:44 - Nov 1 with 1385 viewsEireannach_gorm

Burnley on 12:05 - Nov 1 by GeoffSentence

https://www.twtd.co.uk/league-tables/competition:championship/daterange/fromdate

If you do the same table for this season, there is a marked difference in the gap to third place.
Burnley on 18:49 - Nov 1 with 1242 viewsgosblue

While we are comparing our points tally to last season’s Championship, we are currently 11 points from safety. Safe and in a cup 1/4 final before the end of November would be a lot of team’s dream. A Top 10 finish was a realistic aim back in August, now 7th would feel like failure. How far we have come. Long May it continue. COYB
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024