Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fashanu chants again yesterday 15:23 - Nov 12 with 3526 viewsnorth_stand77

A group of blokes in their late teens/early 20s leaving SBR after the game, laughing and singing about him.

Why would they think it was funny?
Just horribly embarrassing and unnecessary.
Fashanu chants again yesterday on 15:26 - Nov 12 with 3466 viewsZx1988

Probably the same reason that it now has a name (tragedy chanting), and that people have to have it explained to them that it's a Bad Thing.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 15:27 - Nov 12 with 3446 viewsgainsboroughblue

Given their ages, amazed they would even have heard of him.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 15:34 - Nov 12 with 3397 viewsnorth_stand77

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 15:27 - Nov 12 by gainsboroughblue

Well considering they used the words Fashanu, Gay and Dead amongst others, showed that they had.
Fashanu chants again yesterday on 15:34 - Nov 12 with 3392 viewsPerublue

My first thought too and also that I thought that generation (at least in the UK) were totally socially aware these days and if not certainly don't advertise the fact they aren't.

Poll: Rugby World Cup Winner ?

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 15:53 - Nov 12 with 3244 viewsStevieH

Report it to the club. Even if individuals can’t be identified on this occasion, it will make them aware that it’s happening and stewards / police can be briefed
Fashanu chants again yesterday on 15:58 - Nov 12 with 3192 viewsgainsboroughblue

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 15:34 - Nov 12 by north_stand77

Well considering they used the words Fashanu, Gay and Dead amongst others, showed that they had.

I wasn't doubting you or that they did.

Just a little surprising that given the ages you describe, they were singing about a man who would've died up to a decade and a half before they were even born.

Edit. Just checked. Fashanu died in '98. Pretty sure he died around 89/90 but think I may have confused his dates with Laurie Cunningham's.
[Post edited 12 Nov 2023 16:25]

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 16:05 - Nov 12 with 3133 viewsMullet

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 15:58 - Nov 12 by gainsboroughblue

I wasn't doubting you or that they did.

Just a little surprising that given the ages you describe, they were singing about a man who would've died up to a decade and a half before they were even born.

Edit. Just checked. Fashanu died in '98. Pretty sure he died around 89/90 but think I may have confused his dates with Laurie Cunningham's.
[Post edited 12 Nov 2023 16:25]

Never doubt the stupidity or arsehole-potential of people in crowds. You always get a handful somewhere.

Club will definitely want to know, and a ban is in order if caught etc. That and the Delia song need to be mothballed, they're years overdue and stale beyond belief. It's the type of petty and tinpot thing you'd expect from them, not us.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 16:14 - Nov 12 with 3027 viewsgainsboroughblue

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 16:05 - Nov 12 by Mullet

Never doubt the stupidity or arsehole-potential of people in crowds. You always get a handful somewhere.

Club will definitely want to know, and a ban is in order if caught etc. That and the Delia song need to be mothballed, they're years overdue and stale beyond belief. It's the type of petty and tinpot thing you'd expect from them, not us.

I'll say it again. I'm not doubting it.

Login to get fewer ads

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 16:14 - Nov 12 with 3026 viewsMeadowlark

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 16:05 - Nov 12 by Mullet

Ha,
Good luck with that. The majority of our chants are anti-Norwich, rather than pro-Ipswich except maybe away from home when they are anti- whoever we are playing and anti-Norwich!
Fashanu chants again yesterday on 16:16 - Nov 12 with 3005 viewsgainsboroughblue

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 16:14 - Nov 12 by Meadowlark

Ha,
Good luck with that. The majority of our chants are anti-Norwich, rather than pro-Ipswich except maybe away from home when they are anti- whoever we are playing and anti-Norwich!

It's the songs that celebrate the opponents rivals that are the most cringeworthy, like 'Play up Pompey' at St Mary's for e.g.

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 16:21 - Nov 12 with 2983 viewschevblue

From February 1990 (9 years after he played for that lot) ...

Blog: [Blog] Total Football

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 16:49 - Nov 12 with 2792 viewsPerublue

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 16:21 - Nov 12 by chevblue

That's a fantastic little snapshot of history on that clipping.
I forgot all about Terry Westley,he co-ran the old Willis Faber sports club for a short while at one point with Brian Wood and Dick Graham...eventually Roger Osborne ended up there didn't he ? Ipswich school and Rushmere took it off Willis in the end.I spent many years there being a child of an employee...almost my 2nd home.
Jimmy King..I remember Sir Bobby Robson was a huge fan of him and expected great things,but didn't work out but he was the player he rated most highly for a career...as Super Jim did with Owan Garvan.
Old Ron Ellis would be 103 now
[Post edited 12 Nov 2023 16:52]

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 16:53 - Nov 12 with 2741 viewsgainsboroughblue

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 16:49 - Nov 12 by Perublue

That's a fantastic little snapshot of history on that clipping.
I forgot all about Terry Westley,he co-ran the old Willis Faber sports club for a short while at one point with Brian Wood and Dick Graham...eventually Roger Osborne ended up there didn't he ? Ipswich school and Rushmere took it off Willis in the end.I spent many years there being a child of an employee...almost my 2nd home.
Jimmy King..I remember Sir Bobby Robson was a huge fan of him and expected great things,but didn't work out but he was the player he rated most highly for a career...as Super Jim did with Owan Garvan.
Old Ron Ellis would be 103 now
[Post edited 12 Nov 2023 16:52]

Didn't Terry Westley manage Luton? Think he managed to get a 1-0 down here when they were bottom of the league.

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 16:54 - Nov 12 with 2731 viewsPerublue

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 16:53 - Nov 12 by gainsboroughblue

Didn't Terry Westley manage Luton? Think he managed to get a 1-0 down here when they were bottom of the league.

He did...just noticed Bob Shelley on there too

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 16:54 - Nov 12 with 2737 viewsnorth_stand77

No, I know you weren't.

I did say to 2 of them separately that it was very poor of them and not a good look (or similar words). But im sure they probably thought I was a stupid old woman...and carried on anyway!
Fashanu chants again yesterday on 16:57 - Nov 12 with 2705 viewsgainsboroughblue

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 16:54 - Nov 12 by Perublue

He did...just noticed Bob Shelley on there too

Bob Shelley was the Alan Sugar of Ipswich. I didn't know him terribly well, but used to see his brother Jeff a lot as he ran a cafe down Wherstead Road.

Bob also looked after Sergei when he arrived.

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 17:04 - Nov 12 with 2593 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 16:54 - Nov 12 by north_stand77

No, I know you weren't.

I did say to 2 of them separately that it was very poor of them and not a good look (or similar words). But im sure they probably thought I was a stupid old woman...and carried on anyway!

Good on you for saying something.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 17:09 - Nov 12 with 2569 viewsnorth_stand77

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 17:04 - Nov 12 by Nthsuffolkblue

Good on you for saying something.

Thanks, I do have a mean well- practiced stare in my armoury!
Fashanu chants again yesterday on 17:09 - Nov 12 with 2563 viewsPerublue

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 17:09 - Nov 12 by north_stand77

Thanks, I do have a mean well- practiced stare in my armoury!

As does Paddington

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 17:55 - Nov 12 with 2275 viewsMullet

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 16:14 - Nov 12 by Meadowlark

Ha,

Eh? I was talking about a vile one that's rarely aired, and a really stupid one demeaning an old lady that was dubious a decade ago.

Anti-Norwich is great, but make them a bit better than those two isn't a big ask.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 18:09 - Nov 12 with 2165 viewsgtsb1966

The chants are vile and have no place in football or anywhere come to that. The issue that led to the sad outcome will never be proved now though. Fashanu ran from the law and then committed suicide. I think people assume he was guilty because of that and have no issues when singing that song. Totally wrong of course.
Fashanu chants again yesterday on 18:22 - Nov 12 with 2094 viewsTrequartista

Wow i didn't know that!

And I missed Micky Zany's cabaret at the Centre Spot.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 18:24 - Nov 12 with 2058 viewsSteve_M

Surprised to see Tony Humes was injured….

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 21:07 - Nov 12 with 1523 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 18:09 - Nov 12 by gtsb1966

The chants are vile and have no place in football or anywhere come to that. The issue that led to the sad outcome will never be proved now though. Fashanu ran from the law and then committed suicide. I think people assume he was guilty because of that and have no issues when singing that song. Totally wrong of course.

There is a very strong likelihood that Fashanu was blackmailed, and as a gay, Black non-US passport holder, the pressure of what might happen to him in the US legal system, and disgrace in the UK, both coupled with a previous history of mental health issues, was all too much for him.

Genuinely one of the saddest falls from grace: a desperate, incredibly vulnerable, isolated man. Mocking him is repugnant, and demonstrates a complete lack of empathy or even base level humanity.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024