Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
how are T Levels regarded? 13:42 - Dec 6 with 2040 viewsredrickstuhaart

My son, who is bright, wants to go to college and do a t level ratjer than staying st 6th form and getting a levels. In my day these alternatives were for the non academic kids. Now its supposedly equivalent, but how is it seen in the real world, university admissions, job market etc?
how are T Levels regarded? on 13:49 - Dec 6 with 2007 viewsfactual_blue

I gather Oxbridge don't accept them

There is a list of those that do

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/t-level-resources-for-universities/pr

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

how are T Levels regarded? on 14:00 - Dec 6 with 1971 viewsvilanovablue

There is still a slightly look down their noses from some of the supposedly "better" uni's however there are plenty of decent Uni's that will it does also depend to a degree on what T Level it is. Over time I am certain this will change when we better understand how decent they actually are.
how are T Levels regarded? on 14:02 - Dec 6 with 1961 viewsviewfromtheu2

how are T Levels regarded? on 14:00 - Dec 6 by vilanovablue

There is still a slightly look down their noses from some of the supposedly "better" uni's however there are plenty of decent Uni's that will it does also depend to a degree on what T Level it is. Over time I am certain this will change when we better understand how decent they actually are.

Are these the Gen-Z version of what us Millennials called GNVQ?

@BonoITFC

how are T Levels regarded? on 14:13 - Dec 6 with 1928 viewsredrickstuhaart

how are T Levels regarded? on 14:02 - Dec 6 by viewfromtheu2

Are these the Gen-Z version of what us Millennials called GNVQ?

Upgraded btec. Supposedly equivalent to three a levels.

I am sceptical... He wants to do a t level in automotive engineering. He is predicted 7s to 9s at gcse. Seems a waste not to get good a levels with all the options that brings.
how are T Levels regarded? on 14:20 - Dec 6 with 1902 viewsjudespiveyg

how are T Levels regarded? on 14:13 - Dec 6 by redrickstuhaart

I am sceptical... He wants to do a t level in automotive engineering. He is predicted 7s to 9s at gcse. Seems a waste not to get good a levels with all the options that brings.

So my university (University of Sheffield) does accept T Levels, but says only if they're directly related to the degree. I would say A Levels in Maths and Physics are a safer bet if he's looking at RG unis, which with his GCSE results he should be.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

how are T Levels regarded? on 14:31 - Dec 6 with 1858 viewsSteve_M

I suppose the question is what does he want to do after that? Those two years disappear very quickly with university applications in even less time. If he's not sure then keeping his options open should be the better choice now.

Not that it's helpful to your initial question, but as someone with a very vague awareness of T Levels, my gut reaction is 'far less than an A Level'. I'm not sure that is fair though so will read up.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

how are T Levels regarded? on 15:06 - Dec 6 with 1776 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

There's an argument, of course, that if he knows what he wants to do, and it suits his skills, you might be better off letting him get on with it rather than pressing him into something else. I wish I'd had a clue what I wanted to do at that age.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

how are T Levels regarded? on 19:22 - Dec 6 with 1589 viewsitfc56

If he is very clear on the career path he wants to follow, I wouldn't exclude it but you should research opportunities in Higher and Degree level apprenticeships and the entry requirements.
The advantage of these is that they offer primarily workplace training alongside relevant higher/degree study. The biggest advantage is that he would be paid while getting a degree. The application is to the employer not the university so they will be looking for commitment and relevant skills as well as academic performance. In that context it may be that a relevant Tech qualification will help. I'm not sure if it is possible but if he is talented at Maths doing that at A level alongside the T level will always be a bonus in getting into engineering and related fields.
It is not an easy option because at the best companies apprenticeships are very competitive but worth looking into.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2023 19:29]
Login to get fewer ads

how are T Levels regarded? on 19:26 - Dec 6 with 1581 viewsNthsuffolkblue

how are T Levels regarded? on 15:06 - Dec 6 by The_Flashing_Smile

There's an argument, of course, that if he knows what he wants to do, and it suits his skills, you might be better off letting him get on with it rather than pressing him into something else. I wish I'd had a clue what I wanted to do at that age.

If he is sure he knows, there are apprenticeship options too. Earn as you learn and there are different levels of apprenticeships depending on grades achieved. Ultimately, if he is bright and interested in something specific, that combination will carry him a lot further than having good qualifications whatever level they are.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2023 19:30]

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

how are T Levels regarded? on 19:28 - Dec 6 with 1572 viewsTresBonne

Ask him if he's ever considered doing a Cambridge Technical. Equivalent to A-Levels with about 40% of the work! They're a new thing, my little bro just got into a Russell Group uni with two of them + an A level in Geography.

He showed me some of his work and it seemed ridiculous, think they will make it harder over the years.
how are T Levels regarded? on 19:30 - Dec 6 with 1559 viewsredrickstuhaart

how are T Levels regarded? on 19:22 - Dec 6 by itfc56

If he is very clear on the career path he wants to follow, I wouldn't exclude it but you should research opportunities in Higher and Degree level apprenticeships and the entry requirements.
The advantage of these is that they offer primarily workplace training alongside relevant higher/degree study. The biggest advantage is that he would be paid while getting a degree. The application is to the employer not the university so they will be looking for commitment and relevant skills as well as academic performance. In that context it may be that a relevant Tech qualification will help. I'm not sure if it is possible but if he is talented at Maths doing that at A level alongside the T level will always be a bonus in getting into engineering and related fields.
It is not an easy option because at the best companies apprenticeships are very competitive but worth looking into.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2023 19:29]

He has no idea about career path. Atm I thnk he is just interested in doing something he finds engaging.

There is of course merit in the diea that doing something you like is more important than getting the right qualifications, but as a trraditional proper A levels guy (Physics, Geography English Lit) it worries me a bit.
how are T Levels regarded? on 20:00 - Dec 6 with 1484 viewsMullet

To be honest, not well.

No one really knows what they are. Unfortunately, we are conditioned to obsess over "elite" forms of education and sneer at everything else.

The fact there isn't a generation of kids entering academia/workforce with them yet is a massive hurdle as you are diving into the unknown. I would really encourage him to engage with the careers advice and guidance provision where he is now.

Likewise, if he has an idea of where he wants to go then to contact them and ask. It's very frustrating that education has narrowed so much to benefit so few that provision is all over the place now.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

how are T Levels regarded? on 20:14 - Dec 6 with 1454 viewsredrickstuhaart

how are T Levels regarded? on 20:00 - Dec 6 by Mullet

To be honest, not well.

No one really knows what they are. Unfortunately, we are conditioned to obsess over "elite" forms of education and sneer at everything else.

The fact there isn't a generation of kids entering academia/workforce with them yet is a massive hurdle as you are diving into the unknown. I would really encourage him to engage with the careers advice and guidance provision where he is now.

Likewise, if he has an idea of where he wants to go then to contact them and ask. It's very frustrating that education has narrowed so much to benefit so few that provision is all over the place now.

He has no idea where he wants to go for higher ed. I think he just wants something that gets him out of bed in the morning and excites him, rather than more standard school.
how are T Levels regarded? on 20:19 - Dec 6 with 1428 viewsMullet

how are T Levels regarded? on 20:14 - Dec 6 by redrickstuhaart

He has no idea where he wants to go for higher ed. I think he just wants something that gets him out of bed in the morning and excites him, rather than more standard school.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. As someone who made a mess of his A Levels and probably didn't make the right choices at Uni, it's easy to look back now but I had no one to really guide me.

If the T level course really excites him and makes him want to do something with his efforts that's not necessarily a bad thing. Maybe he can go to wherever they offer it and ask to see some of the work produced. He'll have a good feel of whether that's how he wants to spend his time or not I reckon.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

how are T Levels regarded? on 21:02 - Dec 6 with 1376 viewsredrickstuhaart

how are T Levels regarded? on 20:19 - Dec 6 by Mullet

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. As someone who made a mess of his A Levels and probably didn't make the right choices at Uni, it's easy to look back now but I had no one to really guide me.

If the T level course really excites him and makes him want to do something with his efforts that's not necessarily a bad thing. Maybe he can go to wherever they offer it and ask to see some of the work produced. He'll have a good feel of whether that's how he wants to spend his time or not I reckon.

He's visisted already. Local college has a campus in our closest town (where his school and sixth form would be) and thats where the course is.

Essentially he went to his options evening and struggled to find 3 a levels he was enthused about, so asked to visit the college and see what they did. A week later he decided that he wants to do automotive engineering T level...
how are T Levels regarded? on 08:52 - Dec 7 with 1227 viewsitfcjoe

how are T Levels regarded? on 21:02 - Dec 6 by redrickstuhaart

He's visisted already. Local college has a campus in our closest town (where his school and sixth form would be) and thats where the course is.

Essentially he went to his options evening and struggled to find 3 a levels he was enthused about, so asked to visit the college and see what they did. A week later he decided that he wants to do automotive engineering T level...

Do you know anyone in the industry? Could maybe show how they got into it and how at this stage keeping doors open to potential other routes as well as this one is wise

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

how are T Levels regarded? on 09:26 - Dec 7 with 1177 viewsDJR

Here is a report published earlier this year from the Education Select Committee which discusses T Levels. It includes a section about the awareness of T Levels.

https://committees.parliament.uk/publications/39333/documents/193104/default/
[Post edited 7 Dec 2023 9:28]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024