Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Beatles or the Rolling Stones? 19:23 - Jan 5 with 4212 viewsDubtractor

Bit of a musical binary choice for you.

Gotta be the Stones though hasn't it?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Beatles or the Rolling Stones? on 14:02 - Jan 7 with 565 viewsblueasfook

Beatles or the Rolling Stones? on 13:56 - Jan 7 by GlasgowBlue

er The Beatles did evolve to a to a bona fide rock band.

Track listing from beatles greatest hits album.
Not seeing too much rock there. Maybe Get Back I'd allow as a good rock song.

1.. "Love Me Do" 2:23
2. "From Me to You" 1:56
3. "She Loves You" 2:22
4. "I Want to Hold Your Hand" 2:27
5. "Can't Buy Me Love" 2:14
6. "A Hard Day's Night" 2:34
7. "I Feel Fine" 2:20
8. "Ticket to Ride" 3:10
9. "Help!" 2:19
10. "Day Tripper" 2:50
11. "We Can Work It Out" 2:17
Side two
No. Title Length
1. "Paperback Writer" 2:19
2. "Yellow Submarine" 2:38
3. "Eleanor Rigby" 2:08
4. "All You Need Is Love" 3:49
5. "Hello, Goodbye" 3:30
6. "Lady Madonna" 2:16
7. "Hey Jude" 7:11
8. "Get Back" 3:13
9. "The Ballad of John and Yoko"
[Post edited 7 Jan 14:03]

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Beatles or the Rolling Stones? on 17:36 - Jan 7 with 502 viewseireblue

Didn’t the Monkees out sell the Stone and The Beatles back in ‘67, when both were at the height of their creative powers?

I guess there is some merit in arguing about who is second best to The Monkees, but equal second isn’t such a bad place surely?
Beatles or the Rolling Stones? on 20:26 - Jan 7 with 475 viewsMelford

I love the both of them but for different things.

I am a Beatles obsessive, I have pretty much every note they ever recorded. 90 GBs wortth of bootlegs. They made Revolver, toured again then decided to sack the whole live thing off and focused on making music in the studio with a genius like George Martin who would be the only one there who could read music and could summon up any string/brass sections to Abbey Road pretty much on demand without the pressure of having to go on tour.

Revolver/Pepper/Magical Mystery Tour (the only time the US version of the album was superior to the UK version)/White Album/Abbey Road is the peak of recorded music.

Stones are a different beast though, they rode it out live until the screaming girls had gone and big loud amps and PA systems were invented and became the biggest band in the world, from Beggars Banquet to Exile they were peerless. Some of the bootlegs from that time were amazing. I've seen them live 3 times, it's amazing when you go and see OG Stones fans from 64 with their kids and grandkids. I love that they're still going, like the old bluesmen they idolised as kids. Keep going until you snuff it.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Beatles or the Rolling Stones? on 03:53 - Jan 8 with 418 viewsPerublue

For me it's the Liverpudlians without a seconds thought.

Poll: Rugby World Cup Winner ?

Beatles or the Rolling Stones? on 09:16 - Jan 8 with 375 viewsGlasgowBlue

Beatles or the Rolling Stones? on 03:53 - Jan 8 by Perublue

For me it's the Liverpudlians without a seconds thought.

The last word to Rick Rubin.

"It transcends everything. It’s much bigger than four kids from Liverpool. For me the Beatles are proof of the existence of God. It’s so good and so far beyond everyone else that it’s not them.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Beatles or the Rolling Stones? on 13:44 - Jan 8 with 334 viewsGlasgowBlue

There is only one way to end this debate. Compare both bands each years during the time they were up against each other. So with a slow work day……..

The Beatles

Albums:
Please Please Me. 14 songs. 7 Lennon & McCartney originals and 7 covers. Chart Position 1
Standout songs: Please Please Me (Lennon & McCartney), Twist & Shout (Cover), I Saw Her Standing There (Lennon & McCartney).

With The Beatles. 14 Songs. 6 Lennon & McCartney originals, 1 George Harrison original and 7 covers. Chart Position 1
Standout songs: All My Loving (Lennon & McCartney), Money (That’s What I Want) (Cover).

Singles
Please Please Me (Lennon & McCartney) Chart Position 2
From Me To You (Lennon & McCartney) Chart Position 1 (Non Album Single)
She Loves You (Lennon & McCartney) Chart Position 1 (Non Album Single)

The Rolling Stones

Albums:
No album released.

Singles
Come On (Chuck Berry Cover) Chart Position 21 (Non Album Single)
I Wanna Be Your Man (Lennon & McCartney cover) Chart Position 12 (Non Album Single)

Glassers Verdict: A clear win for the Fab Four

The Beatles

Albums:
A Hard Days Night (Original Movie Soundtrack). 14 songs. All Lennon & McCartney originals. Chart Position 1
Standout songs: A Hard Days Night (Lennon & McCartney), Can’t Buy Me Love (Lennon & McCartney), And I Love Her (Lennon & McCartney).

Beatles For Sale. 14 Songs. 7 Lennon & McCartney originals and 7 covers. Chart Position 1
Standout songs: Eight Days a Week (Lennon & McCartney).

Singles
Can’t Buy Me Love (Lennon & McCartney) Chart Position 1
A Hard Days Night (Lennon & McCartney) Chart Position 1
I Feel Fine (Lennon & McCartney) Chart Position 1 (Non Album Single)

The Rolling Stones

Albums:
The Rolling Stones. 12 Songs. All covers. Chart Position 1
Standout songs: Carol (Chuck Berry)

Singles
Not Fade Away (Buddy Holly Cover) Chart Position 3 (Non Album Single)
It’s All Over Now (Bobby Womack cover) Chart Position 1 (Non Album Single)
Little Red Rooster (Willie Dixon Cover) Chart Position 1 (Non Album Single)

Glassers Verdict: Another clear win for the Fabs. The Stones at this stage are still a Blues cover band.

The Beatles

Albums:
Help (Original Movie Soundtrack). 14 songs. 10 Lennon & McCartney originals, 2 George Harrison originals & 2 covers. Chart Position 1
Standout songs: Help (Lennon & McCartney), Ticket To Ride (Cover), You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away (Lennon & McCartney), Yesterday (Lennon & McCartney)

Rubber Soul. 14 Songs. 12 Lennon & McCartney originals & 2 George Harrison originals. Chart Position 1
Standout songs: Drive My Car (Lennon & McCartney), Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown) (Lennon & McCartney), Nowhere Man (Lennon & McCartney), Michelle (Lennon & McCartney), Girl (Lennon & McCartney), In My Life (Lennon & McCartney)

Singles
Ticket To Ride (Lennon & McCartney) Chart Position 1
Help (Lennon & McCartney) Chart Position 1
We Can Work It Out/ Daytripper (Lennon & McCartney) Chart Position 1 (Non Album Single)

The Rolling Stones

Albums:
Out Of Our Heads. 12 Songs. 4 Jagger/Richards originals & 8 covers. Chart Position 2
Standout songs: I’m Free (Jagger/Richards)

Singles
The Last Time (Jagger/Richards) Chart Position 1 (Non Album Single)
(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction (Jagger/Richards) Chart Position 1 (Non Album Single)
Get Off of My Cloud (Jagger/Richards) Chart Position 1 (Non Album Single)

Glassers Verdict: In 1965 The Beatles released 2 albums of original material to the Stones 1 album, which was mostly made up of blues covers. The Stones hit their stride in the singles market with 3 outstanding songs, all reaching number one, including their signature, (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction. However, so good was the Beatles output during 1965, they were able to release and album of classic Lennon & McCartney originals in Rubber Soul but didn’t release any songs from the album as singles. Instead, they released ‘We Can Work It Out/ Daytripper’ as a double A side (neither song was on Rubber Soul) on the same day as the album’s release. Not only that, but the classic ‘Yesterday’ was just an album track on the second side of ‘Help’. The Beatles were evolving so quickly and had so much eclectic material. Another win for the Beatles.

The Beatles

Albums:
Revolver. 14 songs. 11 Lennon & McCartney originals & 3 George Harrison originals. Chart Position 1
Standout songs: Taxman (Harrison), Eleanor Rigby (Lennon & McCartney), Got To Get You Into My Life (Lennon & McCartney), Here, There & Everywhere (Lennon & McCartney), Tomorrow Never Knows (Lennon & McCartney)

Singles
Paperback Writer (Lennon & McCartney) Chart Position 1 (Non Album Single)
Eleanor Rigby/Yellow Submarine (Lennon & McCartney) Chart Position 1 (Double A-Side Single)

The Rolling Stones

Albums:
Aftermath. 14 Songs. All Jagger/Richards. Chart Position 1
Standout songs: Lady Jane (Jagger/Richards), Under My Thumb (Jagger/Richards), Out Of Time (Jagger/Richards)

Singles
19th Nervous Breakdown (Jagger/Richards) Chart Position 2 (Non Album Single)
Paint It Black (Jagger/Richards) Chart Position 1 (Non Album Single)
Have You Seen Your Mother Baby Standing In The Shadows (Jagger/Richards) Chart Position 5 (Non Album Single)

Glassers Verdict: 1966 is a lot closer. Jagger and Richards are starting to excel as writers and Paint It Black is as good as any single released by the Beatles that year. The Beatles only recorded one album this year, but what an album. Revolver sows the seeds for so many future bands, from the Jam to the Chemical Brothers to Oasis. Such an eclectic album that a kiddies song in ‘Yellow Submarine’ sits comfortably between the haunting ballad ‘Here, There & Everywhere’ and the Peter Fonda inspired drugs song ‘She Said, She Said’. When Brian Wilson first heard Revolver, he immediately started work on ‘Smile’, which resulted in his nervous breakdown.

Aftermath is a fine album with some great songs, but also a few fillers. It’s not in the same league as Revolver. So once again, my vote goes to the Beatles.

Halftime score: Beatles 4 Rolling Stones 0. Second half to follow when I have more time 😊

Iron Lion Zion

Beatles or the Rolling Stones? on 13:49 - Jan 8 with 327 viewsitfcjoe

The Beatles, obviously.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Beatles or the Rolling Stones? on 14:07 - Jan 8 with 318 viewsPhilTWTD

Beatles. And I'd put The Kinks well ahead of The Rolling Stones as well. And probably others of that era if I sat and thought about it. Obviously there are some great Stones tracks but always felt they were, and continue to be (Glastonbury performance, for example), overhyped.
Login to get fewer ads

Beatles or the Rolling Stones? on 14:12 - Jan 8 with 307 viewshype313

The Beatles for me, seeing Jagger still prance around today is painful.

However, for me, this band from the 60's transcended my youth without them even knowing about it, starting a movement in a plethora of genres which made my youth memorable in so many ways.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Beatles or the Rolling Stones? on 14:15 - Jan 8 with 298 viewsGlasgowBlue

Beatles or the Rolling Stones? on 14:12 - Jan 8 by hype313

However, for me, this band from the 60's transcended my youth without them even knowing about it, starting a movement in a plethora of genres which made my youth memorable in so many ways.

This song by he Winstons is sill played at soul nights up and down the country.

Iron Lion Zion

Beatles or the Rolling Stones? on 14:19 - Jan 8 with 293 viewshype313

Beatles or the Rolling Stones? on 14:15 - Jan 8 by GlasgowBlue

This song by he Winstons is sill played at soul nights up and down the country.

"Coleman died homeless and destitute in 2006. Spencer said it was unlikely he was aware of the impact he had made on music."

Sad really, I know there was a crowdfund movement for them from a number of artists donated as they we're penniless.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Beatles or the Rolling Stones? on 14:58 - Jan 8 with 277 viewsGlasgowBlue

Beatles or the Rolling Stones? on 14:07 - Jan 8 by PhilTWTD

Beatles. And I'd put The Kinks well ahead of The Rolling Stones as well. And probably others of that era if I sat and thought about it. Obviously there are some great Stones tracks but always felt they were, and continue to be (Glastonbury performance, for example), overhyped.

The Kinks were criminally underrated in the latter half of the sixties. Albums like Village Green Preservation Society had no chance up against the Beatles White Album and the Stones Beggars Banquet in '68 but it was so far ahead of its time and the themes on it are more relevant today. Kinks albums were always very interesting. Blur have had a good career on the back of them.
[Post edited 8 Jan 15:05]

Iron Lion Zion

Beatles or the Rolling Stones? on 14:58 - Jan 8 with 276 viewsDubtractor

Beatles or the Rolling Stones? on 13:44 - Jan 8 by GlasgowBlue

There is only one way to end this debate. Compare both bands each years during the time they were up against each other. So with a slow work day……..

The Beatles

Albums:
Please Please Me. 14 songs. 7 Lennon & McCartney originals and 7 covers. Chart Position 1
Standout songs: Please Please Me (Lennon & McCartney), Twist & Shout (Cover), I Saw Her Standing There (Lennon & McCartney).

With The Beatles. 14 Songs. 6 Lennon & McCartney originals, 1 George Harrison original and 7 covers. Chart Position 1
Standout songs: All My Loving (Lennon & McCartney), Money (That’s What I Want) (Cover).

Singles
Please Please Me (Lennon & McCartney) Chart Position 2
From Me To You (Lennon & McCartney) Chart Position 1 (Non Album Single)
She Loves You (Lennon & McCartney) Chart Position 1 (Non Album Single)

The Rolling Stones

Albums:
No album released.

Singles
Come On (Chuck Berry Cover) Chart Position 21 (Non Album Single)
I Wanna Be Your Man (Lennon & McCartney cover) Chart Position 12 (Non Album Single)

Glassers Verdict: A clear win for the Fab Four

The Beatles

Albums:
A Hard Days Night (Original Movie Soundtrack). 14 songs. All Lennon & McCartney originals. Chart Position 1
Standout songs: A Hard Days Night (Lennon & McCartney), Can’t Buy Me Love (Lennon & McCartney), And I Love Her (Lennon & McCartney).

Beatles For Sale. 14 Songs. 7 Lennon & McCartney originals and 7 covers. Chart Position 1
Standout songs: Eight Days a Week (Lennon & McCartney).

Singles
Can’t Buy Me Love (Lennon & McCartney) Chart Position 1
A Hard Days Night (Lennon & McCartney) Chart Position 1
I Feel Fine (Lennon & McCartney) Chart Position 1 (Non Album Single)

The Rolling Stones

Albums:
The Rolling Stones. 12 Songs. All covers. Chart Position 1
Standout songs: Carol (Chuck Berry)

Singles
Not Fade Away (Buddy Holly Cover) Chart Position 3 (Non Album Single)
It’s All Over Now (Bobby Womack cover) Chart Position 1 (Non Album Single)
Little Red Rooster (Willie Dixon Cover) Chart Position 1 (Non Album Single)

Glassers Verdict: Another clear win for the Fabs. The Stones at this stage are still a Blues cover band.

The Beatles

Albums:
Help (Original Movie Soundtrack). 14 songs. 10 Lennon & McCartney originals, 2 George Harrison originals & 2 covers. Chart Position 1
Standout songs: Help (Lennon & McCartney), Ticket To Ride (Cover), You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away (Lennon & McCartney), Yesterday (Lennon & McCartney)

Rubber Soul. 14 Songs. 12 Lennon & McCartney originals & 2 George Harrison originals. Chart Position 1
Standout songs: Drive My Car (Lennon & McCartney), Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown) (Lennon & McCartney), Nowhere Man (Lennon & McCartney), Michelle (Lennon & McCartney), Girl (Lennon & McCartney), In My Life (Lennon & McCartney)

Singles
Ticket To Ride (Lennon & McCartney) Chart Position 1
Help (Lennon & McCartney) Chart Position 1
We Can Work It Out/ Daytripper (Lennon & McCartney) Chart Position 1 (Non Album Single)

The Rolling Stones

Albums:
Out Of Our Heads. 12 Songs. 4 Jagger/Richards originals & 8 covers. Chart Position 2
Standout songs: I’m Free (Jagger/Richards)

Singles
The Last Time (Jagger/Richards) Chart Position 1 (Non Album Single)
(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction (Jagger/Richards) Chart Position 1 (Non Album Single)
Get Off of My Cloud (Jagger/Richards) Chart Position 1 (Non Album Single)

Glassers Verdict: In 1965 The Beatles released 2 albums of original material to the Stones 1 album, which was mostly made up of blues covers. The Stones hit their stride in the singles market with 3 outstanding songs, all reaching number one, including their signature, (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction. However, so good was the Beatles output during 1965, they were able to release and album of classic Lennon & McCartney originals in Rubber Soul but didn’t release any songs from the album as singles. Instead, they released ‘We Can Work It Out/ Daytripper’ as a double A side (neither song was on Rubber Soul) on the same day as the album’s release. Not only that, but the classic ‘Yesterday’ was just an album track on the second side of ‘Help’. The Beatles were evolving so quickly and had so much eclectic material. Another win for the Beatles.

The Beatles

Albums:
Revolver. 14 songs. 11 Lennon & McCartney originals & 3 George Harrison originals. Chart Position 1
Standout songs: Taxman (Harrison), Eleanor Rigby (Lennon & McCartney), Got To Get You Into My Life (Lennon & McCartney), Here, There & Everywhere (Lennon & McCartney), Tomorrow Never Knows (Lennon & McCartney)

Singles
Paperback Writer (Lennon & McCartney) Chart Position 1 (Non Album Single)
Eleanor Rigby/Yellow Submarine (Lennon & McCartney) Chart Position 1 (Double A-Side Single)

The Rolling Stones

Albums:
Aftermath. 14 Songs. All Jagger/Richards. Chart Position 1
Standout songs: Lady Jane (Jagger/Richards), Under My Thumb (Jagger/Richards), Out Of Time (Jagger/Richards)

Singles
19th Nervous Breakdown (Jagger/Richards) Chart Position 2 (Non Album Single)
Paint It Black (Jagger/Richards) Chart Position 1 (Non Album Single)
Have You Seen Your Mother Baby Standing In The Shadows (Jagger/Richards) Chart Position 5 (Non Album Single)

Glassers Verdict: 1966 is a lot closer. Jagger and Richards are starting to excel as writers and Paint It Black is as good as any single released by the Beatles that year. The Beatles only recorded one album this year, but what an album. Revolver sows the seeds for so many future bands, from the Jam to the Chemical Brothers to Oasis. Such an eclectic album that a kiddies song in ‘Yellow Submarine’ sits comfortably between the haunting ballad ‘Here, There & Everywhere’ and the Peter Fonda inspired drugs song ‘She Said, She Said’. When Brian Wilson first heard Revolver, he immediately started work on ‘Smile’, which resulted in his nervous breakdown.

Aftermath is a fine album with some great songs, but also a few fillers. It’s not in the same league as Revolver. So once again, my vote goes to the Beatles.

Halftime score: Beatles 4 Rolling Stones 0. Second half to follow when I have more time 😊

Bloody hell, you really do have too much time on your hands, and trying be scientific about something that doesn't have a scientific answer. Its just about personal taste.

Ten out of ten for your contributions though!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.

Beatles or the Rolling Stones? on 15:00 - Jan 8 with 270 viewsDubtractor

Beatles or the Rolling Stones? on 14:12 - Jan 8 by hype313

The most iconic break of all.

Beatles or the Rolling Stones? on 15:01 - Jan 8 with 266 viewsGlasgowBlue

Beatles or the Rolling Stones? on 14:58 - Jan 8 by Dubtractor

Bloody hell, you really do have too much time on your hands, and trying be scientific about something that doesn't have a scientific answer. Its just about personal taste.

Ten out of ten for your contributions though!

Not so much scientific. Just putting the two bands respective output up against each other year by year.

Iron Lion Zion

Beatles or the Rolling Stones? on 15:38 - Jan 8 with 249 viewspositivity

Beatles or the Rolling Stones? on 15:01 - Jan 8 by GlasgowBlue

Not so much scientific. Just putting the two bands respective output up against each other year by year.

they've been a bit quiet for the last 55 years though. slackers. 57-6 final score?

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024