Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stonewall Penalty 19:18 - Jan 13 with 8909 viewsDublinBlue84

No touch on the ball whatsoever.

Total disgrace.

Not sure how the feck the sky commentator can say he got a touch when the pictures show otherwise

Poll: What result on Tuesday is best for the club?

Stonewall Penalty on 09:48 - Jan 14 with 1503 viewsUSA

Stonewall Penalty on 01:01 - Jan 14 by The_Flashing_Smile

There's nothing more advantageous than a pen.

And plenty of moves get brought back when advantage is played but it leads to nothing.

A shot on goal is what the advantage led to. The ultimate advantage, a goal attempt.

When an advantage is played in other games it’s brought back immediately if the ball doesn’t fall to the attacking team to continue the attack. Yet it fell to us in the box and we had a shot. Advantage was played and we had a chance.
Stonewall Penalty on 09:51 - Jan 14 with 1487 viewsDavoIPB

Awful decision. Even if he did get the ball it's still a foul. Ipswich players couldn't believe it wasn't given.

As for the sky commentators. All game they were raving about how good Sunderland were and how good their players were.
Stonewall Penalty on 10:26 - Jan 14 with 1411 viewsRozz

...Just watched it back on the full match replay. Is it just me and Westlake then that didn't think it was a pen?
Stonewall Penalty on 10:28 - Jan 14 with 1399 viewsHerbivore

Stonewall Penalty on 10:26 - Jan 14 by Rozz

...Just watched it back on the full match replay. Is it just me and Westlake then that didn't think it was a pen?

You two, the ref, and Don Goodman. Everyone else thinks it was as clear a penalty as you're likely to see. He absolutely clatters him.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Stonewall Penalty on 10:33 - Jan 14 with 1386 viewsbluefunk

Stonewall Penalty on 10:28 - Jan 14 by Herbivore

You two, the ref, and Don Goodman. Everyone else thinks it was as clear a penalty as you're likely to see. He absolutely clatters him.

Interesting to contrast that non decision, together with the “he got the ball” narrative, with the penalty conceded by the Coventry defender against Leicester yesterday - he cleared the ball and his momentum took him into Dewsbury-Hall, and apparently the commentators, and summarisers decided that was a definite penalty.

It’s the complete lack of consistency that grates - well that and missing a deliberate elbow to the Jackson’s face and booking our players for every foul, when for Sunderland he made do with a “calm down” gesture.
[Post edited 14 Jan 10:40]
Stonewall Penalty on 10:39 - Jan 14 with 1372 viewsRozz

Stonewall Penalty on 10:28 - Jan 14 by Herbivore

Well yes if you ignore Hutchinson jumping over the ball and into the challenge.

Hutchinson misses the ball completely. He pulls out, then collides with the player.

If he gets ANY touch it's a stonewall pen, but he doesn't, so it isn't (IMO).
Stonewall Penalty on 11:14 - Jan 14 with 1333 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Is there any footage of the incident?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Stonewall Penalty on 11:18 - Jan 14 with 1317 viewsBlueschev

Stonewall Penalty on 20:58 - Jan 13 by ArnoldMoorhen

That is the most bizarre "Abuse reported" I have ever seen in 30ish years of TWTD.

Can only assume that the Refs Mum set up an account specially for that one!

Think I may have done that by mistake, apologies.
Login to get fewer ads

Stonewall Penalty on 11:20 - Jan 14 with 1312 viewsHerbivore

Stonewall Penalty on 10:39 - Jan 14 by Rozz

Hutchinson misses the ball completely. He pulls out, then collides with the player.

I don't recognise your description of what happened but in any case whether Hutchinson touches the ball is irrelevant as to whether the guy clattering him is a foul.

Stonewall Penalty on 11:25 - Jan 14 with 1295 viewsLankHenners

Stonewall Penalty on 09:48 - Jan 14 by USA

A shot on goal is what the advantage led to. The ultimate advantage, a goal attempt.

When an advantage is played in other games it’s brought back immediately if the ball doesn’t fall to the attacking team to continue the attack. Yet it fell to us in the box and we had a shot. Advantage was played and we had a chance.

Not sure that's right. Taking that literally (as the rules should), a shot of any description is not more advantageous than a penalty kick which is a free shot at goal from 12 yards out.

Without checking I'm pretty sure if the ref thinks there's an infringement worthy of a penalty he should stop the game and award it immediately (or as soon as he's made his mind up, which should be very very soon after the incident), unless a player's about to put the ball into an empty net, say.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Stonewall Penalty on 11:28 - Jan 14 with 1277 viewsbluefunk

Stonewall Penalty on 11:25 - Jan 14 by LankHenners

Not sure that's right. Taking that literally (as the rules should), a shot of any description is not more advantageous than a penalty kick which is a free shot at goal from 12 yards out.

Without checking I'm pretty sure if the ref thinks there's an infringement worthy of a penalty he should stop the game and award it immediately (or as soon as he's made his mind up, which should be very very soon after the incident), unless a player's about to put the ball into an empty net, say.

We’ve all seen referees take a moment before awarding a penalty, had he given a penalty immediately after Chaplins shot was blocked, no one would have thought anything of it.
Stonewall Penalty on 11:30 - Jan 14 with 1264 viewsHerbivore

Stonewall Penalty on 11:25 - Jan 14 by LankHenners

Yep.

Stonewall Penalty on 11:32 - Jan 14 with 1257 viewsLankHenners

Stonewall Penalty on 11:28 - Jan 14 by bluefunk

We’ve all seen referees take a moment before awarding a penalty, had he given a penalty immediately after Chaplins shot was blocked, no one would have thought anything of it.

Yeah. What was weird was he looked like he was about the give it (put the whistle to his mouth), then when Chaplin's shot was blocked he hesitated for a second then pointed for a corner.

Stonewall Penalty on 11:34 - Jan 14 with 1241 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Not giving the penalty, regardless of who the ball falls to, is removing the advantage, not giving it.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Stonewall Penalty on 11:43 - Jan 14 with 1214 viewsberkstractorboy

Is it not OK to jump a challenge without playing the ball thinking if the defender misses the ball then you are able to gain possession? I've seen many players do this to retain possession and when the defender takes the player its a foul.

Hutch had the forward momentum and was totally taken out by the defender who never played the ball. The defender wasn't trying to avoid a reckless challenge as Hutch was. Play the ball and leave a foot on the ground he likely gets a very serious injury, of course Hutch tries to avoid that.
Stonewall Penalty on 11:45 - Jan 14 with 1208 viewsberkstractorboy

That's just absolute nonsense. So many people have explained to you why it wasn't an advantage I am not going to do the same.
Stonewall Penalty on 11:51 - Jan 14 with 1188 viewsPimsNumber1

Stonewall Penalty on 11:45 - Jan 14 by berkstractorboy

That's just absolute nonsense. So many people have explained to you why it wasn't an advantage I am not going to do the same.

Onion was filth all game.Really roughed up Jackson with his elbow on numerous occasions .Dirtiest player I've seen for ages
Stonewall Penalty on 11:51 - Jan 14 with 1186 viewsHerbivore

Stonewall Penalty on 11:32 - Jan 14 by LankHenners

Yeah. What was weird was he looked like he was about the give it (put the whistle to his mouth), then when Chaplin's shot was blocked he hesitated for a second then pointed for a corner.

Still not sure how the officials missed O'Nien elbowing Jackson in the face. Whether it is a yellow or red depends on how generously you want to interpret his intentions but it was a pretty clear elbow in the face, the BBC live commentary suggested it would have gone to VAR in a Prem game. Felt the officials were keen to get involved but completely bottled the big calls.

Stonewall Penalty on 12:19 - Jan 14 with 1146 viewsLankHenners

Stonewall Penalty on 11:51 - Jan 14 by Herbivore

Still not sure how the officials missed O'Nien elbowing Jackson in the face. Whether it is a yellow or red depends on how generously you want to interpret his intentions but it was a pretty clear elbow in the face, the BBC live commentary suggested it would have gone to VAR in a Prem game. Felt the officials were keen to get involved but completely bottled the big calls.

Would be interesting to know what he thought happened there. O'Nien (who's always been a sly bastard) clearly raised his elbow up to Jackson's face so it's a foul but then as you say up to the ref to determine whether it's violent conduct or not.

Seems to be a case with quite a few refs - like to get too involved but almost scared to use that authority when in the big moments.

Stonewall Penalty on 12:24 - Jan 14 with 1123 viewsHerbivore

Stonewall Penalty on 12:19 - Jan 14 by LankHenners

Would be interesting to know what he thought happened there. O'Nien (who's always been a sly bastard) clearly raised his elbow up to Jackson's face so it's a foul but then as you say up to the ref to determine whether it's violent conduct or not.

Seems to be a case with quite a few refs - like to get too involved but almost scared to use that authority when in the big moments.

Yep, we've had a few like that this season. I still find it crazy we've had one penalty all season when you look at the number of penalty shouts we've had, then you see Leicester getting one for the opposition defender clearing the ball.

Stonewall Penalty on 12:32 - Jan 14 with 1101 viewsLankHenners

Stonewall Penalty on 12:24 - Jan 14 by Herbivore

Yep, we've had a few like that this season. I still find it crazy we've had one penalty all season when you look at the number of penalty shouts we've had, then you see Leicester getting one for the opposition defender clearing the ball.

Hutchinson on his own should have won at least 2 or 3 by now.

We've had a few refs who have officiated Prem games and you do wonder if there's something in the theory that they've become too used to VAR having their back and are now uncomfortable having to actually use their own initiative.

Stonewall Penalty on 12:56 - Jan 14 with 1059 viewsVegtablue

Weird it hasn't made the extended highlights, given Chappers had a good opportunity on goal afterwards.

I saw the wipeout but nothing of the ball lol, which isn't very helpful for forming an opinion. Obviously shouted for a penalty anyway as is my duty.
Stonewall Penalty on 13:47 - Jan 14 with 989 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Stonewall Penalty on 11:51 - Jan 14 by Herbivore

The only thing I thought at the time was the ref was behind them, so probably couldn't see for certain. That's me being generous though. I'd have thought one of the linos ought to have seen.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Stonewall Penalty on 14:20 - Jan 14 with 952 viewslongtimefan

Stonewall Penalty on 02:49 - Jan 14 by stonojnr

I didnt think the rules allowed you to play advantage for a foul inside the penalty area, it was a either penalty or its not a foul at all, theres no well you got lucky youve still got the ball addendum to it.

but I still work on the rulebook that made sense, god knows what version they use now with VAR or the one the ref used in that game.

The Laws don’t disallow it but it’s pretty much discouraged from basic referee training onwards. The only time you really play advantage is for something like a defender handling the ball but still ending up in the goal or where a foul occurs but a player has a tap in from an open goal. You certainly would be expecting it In yesterday’s circumstances. I’d assumed the ref just decided it wasn’t a penalty rather than played advantage, but I haven’t seen it back. Did the ref signal advantage? Very poor if so.
Stonewall Penalty on 14:25 - Jan 14 with 945 viewsnorfsufblue

Stonewall Penalty on 13:47 - Jan 14 by The_Flashing_Smile

The only thing I thought at the time was the ref was behind them, so probably couldn't see for certain. That's me being generous though. I'd have thought one of the linos ought to have seen.

What sort of referee thinks a corner is more advantageous than a penalty??
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024