Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stonewall Penalty 19:18 - Jan 13 with 8903 viewsDublinBlue84

No touch on the ball whatsoever.

Total disgrace.

Not sure how the feck the sky commentator can say he got a touch when the pictures show otherwise

Poll: What result on Tuesday is best for the club?

Stonewall Penalty on 22:43 - Jan 14 with 1061 viewsVegtablue

Stonewall Penalty on 22:39 - Jan 14 by Herbivore

Hutchinson. Doesn't. Need. To. Have. Control. Of. The. Ball. For. It. To. Be. A. Foul.

You acknowledge O'Nien doesn't get the ball, so when he throws himself into that challenge and doesn't get the ball, you think it's what, just an innocuous coming together?

Lol a nice attempt at patronising Herbs, I won't return the favour. O'Nien doesn't need to have control of the ball for it to be a foul by Omari, however. I've seen no evidence that O'Nien has hurtled into Omari any more than Omari has hurtled into O'Nien. Incidentally, O'Nien does connect with the ball. The speed of the ball increases after the contact.
[Post edited 14 Jan 22:43]
Stonewall Penalty on 22:45 - Jan 14 with 1051 viewsNthQldITFC

Stonewall Penalty on 22:37 - Jan 14 by berkstractorboy

Yeah from that angle it does look like the defender has played it after Omari has jumped to avoid getting hit. The other angles I have seen are from behind Omari looking at the goal and doesn't look like a touch.

My issue with it is if Omari doesn't jump and plays the ball 1st or same time he has a foot planted that takes the full force of the defenders momentum and we are probably talking about a very serious injury. So does a player have to take the contact and injury to get a foul?

But then who has the responsibility to pull out if both players are getting to the ball at the same time and neither are going in studs up. When I used to play, you'd both meet the ball together (hoping that the other bloke wasn't the sort of w*nker to go over the top for your shin) and there'd be an almighty bang whether the ball popped or not!

Anyway, I'm off to bed now. Night all.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Stonewall Penalty on 22:52 - Jan 14 with 1022 viewsVegtablue

Stonewall Penalty on 22:45 - Jan 14 by NthQldITFC

But then who has the responsibility to pull out if both players are getting to the ball at the same time and neither are going in studs up. When I used to play, you'd both meet the ball together (hoping that the other bloke wasn't the sort of w*nker to go over the top for your shin) and there'd be an almighty bang whether the ball popped or not!

Time for my bed too 🌚
Stonewall Penalty on 22:56 - Jan 14 with 1018 viewsberkstractorboy

Stonewall Penalty on 22:45 - Jan 14 by NthQldITFC

see what you say. Looking at full speed it looks (to me) that Omari just gets there 1st so would play that ball 1st and then get clattered hence him jumping. Watching on x0.25 and going frame by frame it looks as thought both could literally get there the same time.

Even VAR struggles on this one. Would love hot spot like cricket to see if anything on the ball and defenders foot to show contact. Thats the key, if the defender did play the ball then its no foul even though Omari jumps, if the defender missed the ball its a foul and pen.
Stonewall Penalty on 22:56 - Jan 14 with 1016 viewsJimmy86

Stonewall Penalty on 12:24 - Jan 14 by Herbivore

Yep, we've had a few like that this season. I still find it crazy we've had one penalty all season when you look at the number of penalty shouts we've had, then you see Leicester getting one for the opposition defender clearing the ball.

I totally get what you're saying, but to be fair, we have got away with a couple of stone wall pens this season, I can think of Leicester and QPR at home off the top of my head.. not to mention fridge against Plymouth at home too...

Last night was stonewall, as you say, but we have got away with a few too
Stonewall Penalty on 23:02 - Jan 14 with 1003 viewsberkstractorboy

Stonewall Penalty on 22:56 - Jan 14 by Jimmy86

I totally get what you're saying, but to be fair, we have got away with a couple of stone wall pens this season, I can think of Leicester and QPR at home off the top of my head.. not to mention fridge against Plymouth at home too...

Yeah I think we did get away against Leicester and QPR but that Plymouth one was a good call Edmundson didn't play the man against Plymouth it was tight and looked dodgy but I think the ref got that right.
Stonewall Penalty on 23:02 - Jan 14 with 1003 viewsHerbivore

Stonewall Penalty on 22:43 - Jan 14 by Vegtablue

Lol a nice attempt at patronising Herbs, I won't return the favour. O'Nien doesn't need to have control of the ball for it to be a foul by Omari, however. I've seen no evidence that O'Nien has hurtled into Omari any more than Omari has hurtled into O'Nien. Incidentally, O'Nien does connect with the ball. The speed of the ball increases after the contact.
[Post edited 14 Jan 22:43]

Yeah, what a brute Hutchinson is, launching into O'Nien who is just innocently playing the ball. Christ, that's a take.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Stonewall Penalty on 23:05 - Jan 14 with 979 viewsHerbivore

Stonewall Penalty on 22:56 - Jan 14 by Jimmy86

The QPR one is a pen on the current interpretation of the handball law, neither of the others you mention are anywhere near being stonewall pens.

Login to get fewer ads

Stonewall Penalty on 00:36 - Jan 15 with 910 viewsJimmy86

Stonewall Penalty on 23:05 - Jan 14 by Herbivore

The QPR one is a pen on the current interpretation of the handball law, neither of the others you mention are anywhere near being stonewall pens.

Personally think we got away with one on KDH against Leicester...

Still, was good to get the 3 points and beat a good Sunderland side... I personally think it should have been a pen and thought the ref was absolute toilet!!
Stonewall Penalty on 06:32 - Jan 15 with 844 viewsfranz_tyson

Stonewall Penalty on 21:57 - Jan 14 by berkstractorboy

This is what I see. The defender is not in control of the tackle and Omari has to jump to avoid the tackle or risk a broken leg. Slip or not its a foul on Omari.

He. Doesn't. Need. To. Be.In. Control. Of. The. Tackle. For. It. Not.To. Be. A. Foul.
[Post edited 15 Jan 6:42]
Stonewall Penalty on 07:09 - Jan 15 with 822 viewsHerbivore

Stonewall Penalty on 06:32 - Jan 15 by franz_tyson

He. Doesn't. Need. To. Be.In. Control. Of. The. Tackle. For. It. Not.To. Be. A. Foul.
[Post edited 15 Jan 6:42]

He kind of does, the law says that reckless or out of control tackles are a foul and a yellow card, or red if the opponent is endangered.

Stonewall Penalty on 07:49 - Jan 15 with 799 viewsDJR

Stonewall Penalty on 11:51 - Jan 14 by Herbivore

Still not sure how the officials missed O'Nien elbowing Jackson in the face. Whether it is a yellow or red depends on how generously you want to interpret his intentions but it was a pretty clear elbow in the face, the BBC live commentary suggested it would have gone to VAR in a Prem game. Felt the officials were keen to get involved but completely bottled the big calls.

The problem is that it wouldn't have been so visible to the ref as it was to those of us in SBR because the two players had their back to him.
[Post edited 15 Jan 7:49]
Stonewall Penalty on 07:56 - Jan 15 with 789 viewsDJR

Stonewall Penalty on 22:17 - Jan 14 by NthQldITFC

I'm going to look again, but I thought that had Hutch not jumped it would have been one of those both hit the ball at the same time contacts, and Hutch as the smaller player probably wisely got out of the way. I also thought the Sunderland player was studs down and not reckless, any more than Hutchinson was. The contact looked bad, but in a sense that was Hutchinson's choice.

Off to have another look...

...yeah, I'd stick with that.

You'll not like this, but if anything I'd say that was foul by Hutch! (but I'd not give it)

Maybe being an ex-centre back of robust demeanour colours my judgement.

It's this video I'm looking at, btw.
[Post edited 14 Jan 22:27]

That shows to me that the referee got it right, and it was not a penalty.

As it is, I don't think that generally the ref was as bad as people have made out.
Stonewall Penalty on 08:08 - Jan 15 with 763 viewsBbmaj

Stonewall Penalty on 22:41 - Jan 14 by RamRob

I would ask people to look at the foul by Wan-Bissaka v Tottenham that he got booked for and tell me how that is given and the Hutchinson one isn't.

IMO its either a foul on Hutchinson or by Hutchinson, but the ref gave a corner instead.

Yep.

I watched the game with a neutral who was very impressed by Town, not for the first time, and their view was a foul BY Hutchinson, rather than a penalty.

Also a likely red for the elbow on Jackson if VAR or spectacles for the ref existed in the championship.

We didn’t agree on all yellows, Clarke got the ball but slightly from behind, Edmundson unnecessary challenge but rightly booked etc, however the hips and stats don’t lie: we had our first free kick on second half and that’s almost unfeasible against a team like Sunderland - the ref wasn’t favouring the home team, for sure!
Stonewall Penalty on 11:57 - Jan 15 with 668 viewscooperd5

Stonewall Penalty on 23:55 - Jan 13 by USA

The advantage was played and we had the shot. That’s the advantage. You cannot bring back play because he didn’t score with the shot

there's no advantage on a penalty. You pause to see if a goal is scored but then blow for the pen.
Stonewall Penalty on 12:41 - Jan 15 with 623 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Stonewall Penalty on 11:34 - Jan 14 by Cheltenham_Blue

Not giving the penalty, regardless of who the ball falls to, is removing the advantage, not giving it.

Had Chaplin's shot gone in then we would have been happy that he took a second. It didn't, and so, if was going to blow, he should have awarded the penalty.

The rugby rule regarding attacking advantage is much, much, better. Advantage has to be realised in a meaningful way, or the play can return to the foul, sometimes minutes later. And all the way through the advantage period the ref will usually periodically say "Still advantage" or similar, and then indicate if the advantage is over.

This would be my biggest priority for adjusting the rules. A defending team should never gain an advantage out of fouling or otherwise breaking the rules.
Stonewall Penalty on 13:03 - Jan 15 with 584 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Why it's a pen for me is Hutch clearly has to avoid O'Nein's reckless lunge for the ball. So whether O'Nein plays the ball in the end or not is somewhat academic.

If a player has to take evasive action to avoid injury then that's just as much a foul as if evavise action wan't taken and the player gets injured; I always thought that contact was not required in such circumstances in order for a FK to be awarded.

I have been penalised enough times in the (distant) past for similar and my "I didn't touch him ref" fell on stony ground. Usually with a response like, "If you had touched him you'd likely have killed him.". "I got there as quick as I could" never worked for late tackles either.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Stonewall Penalty on 13:11 - Jan 15 with 568 viewsVic

Stonewall Penalty on 22:17 - Jan 14 by NthQldITFC

I'm going to look again, but I thought that had Hutch not jumped it would have been one of those both hit the ball at the same time contacts, and Hutch as the smaller player probably wisely got out of the way. I also thought the Sunderland player was studs down and not reckless, any more than Hutchinson was. The contact looked bad, but in a sense that was Hutchinson's choice.

Off to have another look...

...yeah, I'd stick with that.

You'll not like this, but if anything I'd say that was foul by Hutch! (but I'd not give it)

Maybe being an ex-centre back of robust demeanour colours my judgement.

It's this video I'm looking at, btw.
[Post edited 14 Jan 22:27]

Yep, totally agree. I'd have been gutted to have been penalised for that tackle. Hard and fair - no foul. Hutch jumped out of it (probably wisely).

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Stonewall Penalty on 13:55 - Jan 15 with 519 viewsDinDjarin

Stonewall Penalty on 08:08 - Jan 15 by Bbmaj

Yep.

I watched the game with a neutral who was very impressed by Town, not for the first time, and their view was a foul BY Hutchinson, rather than a penalty.

Also a likely red for the elbow on Jackson if VAR or spectacles for the ref existed in the championship.

We didn’t agree on all yellows, Clarke got the ball but slightly from behind, Edmundson unnecessary challenge but rightly booked etc, however the hips and stats don’t lie: we had our first free kick on second half and that’s almost unfeasible against a team like Sunderland - the ref wasn’t favouring the home team, for sure!

Not a pen and agree could of been a free kick to Sunderland.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024