Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thoughts on what McKenna tweaked at HT? 13:16 - Jan 23 with 2422 viewsjasondozzell

One of the many positives of having such a tactically astute and forward thinking coach with clear principles is it draws you into thinking more about the technical details in games.

Vas was talking about half time last night:
Sometimes you can’t find yourself because they went man-to-man in the first half, which we weren’t surprised by but we couldn’t find a way. That took a little reset at half-time and then it was much better in the second half.

“We have 15 minutes at half-time and we’re going through loads of clips on the screen trying to find a way where we can improve ourselves and that was the case today."

So how did we solve the man to man situation? Clearly we went long a bit more with some excellent passing from Vas which turned Leicester a bit more and left them less comfortable in the middle on our players.

Any other thoughts? It looked to me like we also became even more fluid with the subs - Hutch, Sarmiento and Broady were switching places and dropping into pockets to pick the ball up.

I'm just fascinated by how McKenna can have such control over the game to know what to do to solve each problem we face!

Thoughts on what McKenna tweaked at HT? on 13:51 - Jan 23 with 2055 viewsbackwaywhen

What did he say at Leeds ? …..asking for a friend.
Thoughts on what McKenna tweaked at HT? on 14:08 - Jan 23 with 1999 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Taylor was imo the best change of the night.

The whole energy of the team changed when he came on. Travis and Mass wasn't really working. Taylor really took control of the ball and was covering more ground, much quicker. I felt he should've started the game but his impact was superb.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Thoughts on what McKenna tweaked at HT? on 14:25 - Jan 23 with 1903 viewsKeno

Watching Sam and Marry at half time I know what I tweaked

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Thoughts on what McKenna tweaked at HT? on 14:28 - Jan 23 with 1861 viewsbluelady

Thoughts on what McKenna tweaked at HT? on 14:08 - Jan 23 by TRUE_BLUE123

Taylor was imo the best change of the night.

The whole energy of the team changed when he came on. Travis and Mass wasn't really working. Taylor really took control of the ball and was covering more ground, much quicker. I felt he should've started the game but his impact was superb.

and Mass looked so much better second half. Dont forget its yet another new partnership and getting used to what the other does. Last game it was Taylor who struggled and Travis who had a stormer. i would love to know what would have happened had we got our trusted captain out there!
Thoughts on what McKenna tweaked at HT? on 14:28 - Jan 23 with 1862 viewsVaughan8

I'm no coach but surely it was first half we seemed more (than usual) defensive and seemed to be sitting much deeper. When we got the ball, there was limited options further up the pitch

Second half we seemed to move up a bit more, press them more, so they made mistakes and we benefited?

However, I'm not praising McKenna for realising there was a problem, its obvious. We could and should have been at least 2 down, if not 3. Then its probably another Leeds game.

I don't really understand the last sentence, He didn't solve every problem we faced?
Thoughts on what McKenna tweaked at HT? on 14:40 - Jan 23 with 1754 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Thoughts on what McKenna tweaked at HT? on 14:28 - Jan 23 by bluelady

and Mass looked so much better second half. Dont forget its yet another new partnership and getting used to what the other does. Last game it was Taylor who struggled and Travis who had a stormer. i would love to know what would have happened had we got our trusted captain out there!

Yep no major knock on Mass or Travis. Neither of them can replicate was Morsy does. Not because they aren't good, but because Morsy is just so perfect for that role and he was really needed first half to go and get the ball off defence so we didn't have to ask so much of Jackson, who did his best as he always does.

Cant wait to have him back, I would be happy to see him paired with any of Taylor, Mass or Travis. Great options in there now.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Thoughts on what McKenna tweaked at HT? on 14:41 - Jan 23 with 1735 viewsDubtractor

Thoughts on what McKenna tweaked at HT? on 14:28 - Jan 23 by Vaughan8

I'm no coach but surely it was first half we seemed more (than usual) defensive and seemed to be sitting much deeper. When we got the ball, there was limited options further up the pitch

Second half we seemed to move up a bit more, press them more, so they made mistakes and we benefited?

However, I'm not praising McKenna for realising there was a problem, its obvious. We could and should have been at least 2 down, if not 3. Then its probably another Leeds game.

I don't really understand the last sentence, He didn't solve every problem we faced?

We shouldn't have been 2 or 3 down, that's just hyperbole.

We limited them to half chances, even the commentators said that for all the possession Hladky hadn't been forced into serious action.

Leicester's xg for the whole game was 1.25.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Thoughts on what McKenna tweaked at HT? on 14:42 - Jan 23 with 1729 viewsRocky

I think we were told to get free of the man-to-man marking by being more fluid in our movements. Wes Burns, for instance, spent much of his time in the 2nd half roaming around on the left. Can't remember seeing him do that so much before.
Login to get fewer ads

Thoughts on what McKenna tweaked at HT? on 14:46 - Jan 23 with 1673 viewsNutkins_Return

Thoughts on what McKenna tweaked at HT? on 14:40 - Jan 23 by TRUE_BLUE123

Yep no major knock on Mass or Travis. Neither of them can replicate was Morsy does. Not because they aren't good, but because Morsy is just so perfect for that role and he was really needed first half to go and get the ball off defence so we didn't have to ask so much of Jackson, who did his best as he always does.

Cant wait to have him back, I would be happy to see him paired with any of Taylor, Mass or Travis. Great options in there now.

Morsy might have made a difference as he normally does but I think it would have been small in that first half. Don't think we can overplay it too much. We'll never know. Leicester were excellent first half but I think the containment gameplan with lots of energy/closing down but being fairly deep would have continued. Travis clearly had a specific job following Pereira (I think his name). I think Leicester played that well and Travis ended up far to deep but doing his job.

I said it in first half and McKenna mentioned after the game that the plan was essentially to keep the game as right as possible with willing grafters for the first 60. We then broad on more attacking threat and ball players for the last 30. This was very deliberate and I suspect partly lesson learned from Leeds actually.

I don't agree with above comment we should have been 3 down. They might have had a few chances (same any game) but little clear cut and own goal was all they had and that was unlucky. You need some luck away from home to go for you but you make it as well. We were disciplined off the ball. Of course they will still get through occasionally
Thoughts on what McKenna tweaked at HT? on 14:49 - Jan 23 with 1652 viewsDennyx4

A couple of things I noticed was that we started to move their players out of shape.

You saw Burns try a couple of runs centrally, one such run was why Clarke had the space on the right wing for Hladky’s great pass.

The other was that their wide players did not want or like to track back, probably don’t have to do that too often.

The subs Hutchison, Broadhead and Sarmiento also gave the man marking a different test, as they were happy to take their man on. If / when they got past, it also disrupted the man marking system.
Thoughts on what McKenna tweaked at HT? on 14:49 - Jan 23 with 1652 viewsBseaBlue

They dominated the midfield in the first half, so McKenna's solution seemed to be for Hladky to bypass them and find Hutch/Sarmiento who were deliberately dropping into the space between the midfield and back line. They were then able to turn and get us in Leicester's final third.

Add in that Taylor was a driving force and we seemed to be more aggressive in the press which was a masterstroke really. I know we have good options on the bench but its no coincidence we have picked up so many points from losing positions when we have such a tactically astute manager.
Thoughts on what McKenna tweaked at HT? on 14:50 - Jan 23 with 1631 viewstextbackup

Thoughts on what McKenna tweaked at HT? on 13:51 - Jan 23 by backwaywhen

What did he say at Leeds ? …..asking for a friend.

‘Throw the game, give them false hope, need to make the league more interesting’

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Thoughts on what McKenna tweaked at HT? on 15:02 - Jan 23 with 1529 viewsbluelady

Thoughts on what McKenna tweaked at HT? on 14:40 - Jan 23 by TRUE_BLUE123

agree no one seems to be able to take the ball from keeper/defence like Morsy does.. and turns himself out of trouble (whereas we seemed to turn into trouble a little too often)..

Yep Jackson worked his socks off first half, and looked and looked strong at times.. just was too much expected of him. Not sure Hirst would have had any more joy.
Thoughts on what McKenna tweaked at HT? on 15:10 - Jan 23 with 1476 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Thoughts on what McKenna tweaked at HT? on 15:02 - Jan 23 by bluelady

agree no one seems to be able to take the ball from keeper/defence like Morsy does.. and turns himself out of trouble (whereas we seemed to turn into trouble a little too often)..

Yep Jackson worked his socks off first half, and looked and looked strong at times.. just was too much expected of him. Not sure Hirst would have had any more joy.

Think at least with Hirst he has ability to hold on to some of those long balls/clearances we were forced in to even for a bit of respite. Jackson had no chance bless him. Although he did have a couple of really nice moments where he rolled Vestegaard and Faes and got away down the left, but he was so short of options to pass to once he got there.

Still sad Hirst is injured. Our Striker is such a niche position and we managed to find the perfect footballer to play there and he gets injured trying to control a bad pass, just such bad luck. Lets see what Ashton can do.

Thoughts on what McKenna tweaked at HT? on 15:19 - Jan 23 with 1431 viewsVaughan8

Thoughts on what McKenna tweaked at HT? on 14:41 - Jan 23 by Dubtractor

We shouldn't have been 2 or 3 down, that's just hyperbole.

We limited them to half chances, even the commentators said that for all the possession Hladky hadn't been forced into serious action.

Leicester's xg for the whole game was 1.25.

I thought we were lucky to only be 1 down at half time. I'm sure there were some fairly decent chances.

If they shoot wide he's not called into action. Doesn't mean it wasn't a decent chance.
Thoughts on what McKenna tweaked at HT? on 15:22 - Jan 23 with 1407 viewsIllinoisblue

I love how he/they stick to their principles. 89th minute, 1-0 down away at top of table side, a lot of teams would just hoof it forward in hope. What do we do? Build a 17-pass move from Hladky all the way through the pitch and get the equaliser. It’s a thing of beauty.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Thoughts on what McKenna tweaked at HT? on 15:25 - Jan 23 with 1384 viewsDJR

I don't buy the idea that Luongo had a bad game. He made some crucial tackles in the first half but couldn't do it all.

As it is, by playing Harness, I think McKenna intended us to be more defensive in the first half, and by being only one down to an unfortunate goal, there was all to play for in the second half where we became more attacking, helped especially later on by the substitutions.
[Post edited 23 Jan 15:27]
Thoughts on what McKenna tweaked at HT? on 15:34 - Jan 23 with 1306 viewsHelp

Chappers left nipple
Thoughts on what McKenna tweaked at HT? on 15:35 - Jan 23 with 1295 viewsNutkins_Return

Thoughts on what McKenna tweaked at HT? on 15:25 - Jan 23 by DJR

I don't buy the idea that Luongo had a bad game. He made some crucial tackles in the first half but couldn't do it all.

As it is, by playing Harness, I think McKenna intended us to be more defensive in the first half, and by being only one down to an unfortunate goal, there was all to play for in the second half where we became more attacking, helped especially later on by the substitutions.
[Post edited 23 Jan 15:27]

McKenna said as much. We stay in the game. Their press eases. We bring on strong bench and we get a result. Game plan in a nutshell.
Thoughts on what McKenna tweaked at HT? on 15:38 - Jan 23 with 1265 viewsbluelady

Thoughts on what McKenna tweaked at HT? on 15:10 - Jan 23 by TRUE_BLUE123

Think at least with Hirst he has ability to hold on to some of those long balls/clearances we were forced in to even for a bit of respite. Jackson had no chance bless him. Although he did have a couple of really nice moments where he rolled Vestegaard and Faes and got away down the left, but he was so short of options to pass to once he got there.

Still sad Hirst is injured. Our Striker is such a niche position and we managed to find the perfect footballer to play there and he gets injured trying to control a bad pass, just such bad luck. Lets see what Ashton can do.

100% agree with all of that :-) I suspect Moore and another that will come from totally left field!
Thoughts on what McKenna tweaked at HT? on 15:58 - Jan 23 with 1170 viewswhymark4lazio0

Poll: Should these Polls show number of votes as well as percentages?

Thoughts on what McKenna tweaked at HT? on 16:12 - Jan 23 with 1126 views2-5-7

Thoughts on what McKenna tweaked at HT? on 14:25 - Jan 23 by Keno

Watching Sam and Marry at half time I know what I tweaked

Haha Keano that made me laugh out loud on the bus!
Thoughts on what McKenna tweaked at HT? on 16:28 - Jan 23 with 1044 viewsgosblue

I think it was all part of the game plan. We played our own version of the low block in the first half. We often had a line of 5 with a line of 4 in midfield inviting Leicester on to us. Jackson was up top trying to pick up any scraps from the out ball with Burns, Davis and Chappers trying to play catch-upon. It obviously changed at HT. We still allowed Leicester to come on to us but we were occupying the spaces in their half giving us more options. Vaz was picking passes out of fun.
Thoughts on what McKenna tweaked at HT? on 16:29 - Jan 23 with 1029 viewsMetal_Hacker

Was thinking the same as I was driving from Sheffield to Wrexham of all places for a meeting today

Anyway I think essentially apart from some tweaks I think he instilled some belief in the players going back out there , got them to play more football in the opposition’s half and inspired all and sundry with the substitutions. He pushed Wes around the pitch ensuring he got space and messed around with their defence and pushed their right side further back by getting Leif being more aggressively attacking-wise.

Whatever it was ,and I;m sure there’s more to it than we all saw in our untrained eye , it was a masterclass in (excuse the pun) out-foxing them

The bloke is a genius at times…OK most of the time

Poll: If it were one or the other

Thoughts on what McKenna tweaked at HT? on 16:54 - Jan 23 with 933 viewsGarv

Thoughts on what McKenna tweaked at HT? on 14:49 - Jan 23 by BseaBlue

They dominated the midfield in the first half, so McKenna's solution seemed to be for Hladky to bypass them and find Hutch/Sarmiento who were deliberately dropping into the space between the midfield and back line. They were then able to turn and get us in Leicester's final third.

Add in that Taylor was a driving force and we seemed to be more aggressive in the press which was a masterstroke really. I know we have good options on the bench but its no coincidence we have picked up so many points from losing positions when we have such a tactically astute manager.

Taylor was important as he was more confident in facing/looking forward and getting us up the pitch, rather than perhaps playing more sideways like Travis was.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024