Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent 10:03 - Jan 28 with 4746 viewsCopfordBlue

I’ve never applauded a team that’s beaten us before and doubt I will do again. Hopefully we’ll never be in that position again. I clapped Maidstone after the game yesterday though. It was an embarrassing defeat and it hurt but recognising what they had achieved felt right.

I hated sitting through it and it felt horrible when the final whistle blew but seeing what it meant to Maidstone resonated with me. Over the years I’ve known several people who have played at or around the level Maidstone play at. I also know a couple of people involved on the admin side of non-league clubs. The sacrifices they make and the dedication needed to do it are huge. For most of the Maidstone squad and officials yesterday will be the highlight of their career, maybe their life. The other reason I gave them polite applause (I didn’t stand there hands above my head cheering them) was in recognition of their fans - not the 4,000 glory hunters but the 500 or so have been there through thick and thin.

Sorry to those of you that consider my actions and those of quite a lot of those around me to be so deeply offensive and disloyal. In future, if we’re drawn against non-league opponents I’ll make sure I patronise them before the game, spout off about how we’ll beat them by 10, laugh at their support, mock them for it being their “cup final”, already look ahead to the next round and then walk away all bitter and twisted, looking for scapegoats if it doesn’t work out how i had planned.

Poll: Most enjoyable calendar year as an Ipswich supporter

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 10:13 - Jan 28 with 3514 viewsMattinLondon

I was watching the match on telly with my eldest who is 8 and he started crying and got himself into a real state. By myself I would be angry, even more so if I was at the match. But seeing the Maidstone players and fans so happy I did tell him how important sportsmanship and congratulating the opposition was. How integral saying ‘well done’ was to football, and in turn this made him less upset. It was a very warming moment for me as a parent, seeing sadness turn to happiness.

When he went upstairs I quickly came to my senses and hoped that Maidstone draw the lowest ranked team in the next round and lose 4-0 at home.
[Post edited 28 Jan 10:14]
Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 10:19 - Jan 28 with 3455 viewsSitfcB

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 10:13 - Jan 28 by MattinLondon

I was watching the match on telly with my eldest who is 8 and he started crying and got himself into a real state. By myself I would be angry, even more so if I was at the match. But seeing the Maidstone players and fans so happy I did tell him how important sportsmanship and congratulating the opposition was. How integral saying ‘well done’ was to football, and in turn this made him less upset. It was a very warming moment for me as a parent, seeing sadness turn to happiness.

When he went upstairs I quickly came to my senses and hoped that Maidstone draw the lowest ranked team in the next round and lose 4-0 at home.

I did clap George Elokobi as he made the effort to go round and clap the ITFC fans, my boy asked why are we clapping him and I just said “that’s just what we do”.

I don’t like I can like Maidstone now unfortunately, like that I haven’t liked Lincoln since that cup game.

Any draw will be good for them but I hope they get one of the sh!ttest teams left

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 10:26 - Jan 28 with 3383 viewsfranz_tyson

Christ.... you trying to win "Best sporting and All-Round Good Guy Achievement Award"? Couldn't give a flying one how you deal with this result - but stop trying to show off about it. What do you want - a medal? Another ego trip whilst slagging off other fans.
Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 10:29 - Jan 28 with 3362 viewsCopfordBlue

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 10:26 - Jan 28 by franz_tyson

Christ.... you trying to win "Best sporting and All-Round Good Guy Achievement Award"? Couldn't give a flying one how you deal with this result - but stop trying to show off about it. What do you want - a medal? Another ego trip whilst slagging off other fans.

Not at all, couldn’t be further from the truth. I was just surprised that nobody had responded to the vocal minority who think that the way to deal with a once in a lifetime defeat is to to slag off your fellow fans who show a bit of sportsmanship.

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 10:30 - Jan 28 with 3330 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

I don’t think we can be upset with Maidstone or their supporters over that one. We had two players who were far below the standard who didn’t deliver anything of note in Taylor and Broadhead and a referee who was more interested in letting the magic happen for their goal and when Edmundson was fouled in the box, they deserve any ire for yesterday’s disaster. The clips are still doing the rounds on the football socials and we’re going to be a bit of a laughing stock for a while, this is a bit like the 9-0 drubbing in that it’s never going to go away either, every time they talk about cup upset this one will forever be replayed.
Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 10:39 - Jan 28 with 3238 viewsMattinLondon

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 10:30 - Jan 28 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

I don’t think we can be upset with Maidstone or their supporters over that one. We had two players who were far below the standard who didn’t deliver anything of note in Taylor and Broadhead and a referee who was more interested in letting the magic happen for their goal and when Edmundson was fouled in the box, they deserve any ire for yesterday’s disaster. The clips are still doing the rounds on the football socials and we’re going to be a bit of a laughing stock for a while, this is a bit like the 9-0 drubbing in that it’s never going to go away either, every time they talk about cup upset this one will forever be replayed.

Don’t go on the football socials and most of the laughing stock feel will disappear.
Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 10:40 - Jan 28 with 3234 viewsLeoMuff

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 10:29 - Jan 28 by CopfordBlue

Not at all, couldn’t be further from the truth. I was just surprised that nobody had responded to the vocal minority who think that the way to deal with a once in a lifetime defeat is to to slag off your fellow fans who show a bit of sportsmanship.

Ignore that kn0b, the people criticising clapping an amazing performance and result have completely lost sight of what football and indeed all sport is about.

Probably the ones you find screaming at the ref on a Sunday at u7s match.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 10:51 - Jan 28 with 3164 viewstextbackup

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 10:40 - Jan 28 by LeoMuff

Ignore that kn0b, the people criticising clapping an amazing performance and result have completely lost sight of what football and indeed all sport is about.

Probably the ones you find screaming at the ref on a Sunday at u7s match.

Football, and sport, is about winning.

Wanting, or being ok, with the opposition beating you goes against anything I have ever come to encounter in my 39 years on this earth.

If a single player was as wet as these fans bumming the life out of a great day for Maidstone, I’d want them out of the club. I can’t imagine a single one went home lastnight and was ok, I’d wager that KM likely got very little sleep.

Agree that shouting at refs, or kids, in youth football is dreadful though.
[Post edited 28 Jan 10:56]

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Login to get fewer ads

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 10:53 - Jan 28 with 3147 viewsDJR

Many around me in Upper SBR (including me) applauded the Maidstone fans in section A of the Cobbold Stand partly because of the tremendous effort the Maidstone players put in and partly because of what it meant to their supporters. And quite a few of their fans clapped back in acknowledgement.
[Post edited 28 Jan 10:59]
Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 10:54 - Jan 28 with 3131 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 10:39 - Jan 28 by MattinLondon

Don’t go on the football socials and most of the laughing stock feel will disappear.

It’s even made a Simpsons England meme group.

I play for two football teams and they have routinely posted in in our WhatsApp groups to mock me, I have been torn to shreds at the pub for it, and work tomorrow will also be a bad day of piss taking, fortunately I said we’d rest our team and lose on Friday so at least I got my excuses in early.

It’s been an embarrassment.
Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 10:58 - Jan 28 with 3089 viewsDJR

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 10:51 - Jan 28 by textbackup

Wanting, or being ok, with the opposition beating you goes against anything I have ever come to encounter in my 39 years on this earth.

If a single player was as wet as these fans bumming the life out of a great day for Maidstone, I’d want them out of the club. I can’t imagine a single one went home lastnight and was ok, I’d wager that KM likely got very little sleep.

I don't know if it's changed but both Liverpool and Everton fans once had a reputation for being generous in defeat if the opposition had played particularly well.
Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 11:00 - Jan 28 with 3061 viewspointofblue

I remember Barnsley fans applauding us after the Play Off win in 2000. That much meant far more to both teams than yesterday did to us because of the prize at the end of it. But they were classy and respectful, though admittedly it's arguably easier to accept losing to an opponent from the same level. However, we praised them for that response on the whole so shouldn't criticise Town fans who applied Maidstone yesterday IMO.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 11:01 - Jan 28 with 3034 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 10:51 - Jan 28 by textbackup

Are any of these fans you're so angry with today actually influencing our players to be 'this wet' as you are putting it?

So what if the OP clapped the Maidstone players after the game? It was a massive achievement for that club, massive, and it will be rightly played over and over for them. In the same way Sutton United beating Coventry in the third round the year after Coventry won the cup was.

"Wanting, or being ok, with the opposition beating you goes against anything I have ever come to encounter in my 39 years on this earth."

Now I'm pi55ed off that we lost, and that we had a few players who didn't give Maidstone enough respect, but that statement only makes sense if you are involved in and playing a game, not watching two teams going at it.

You're coming across as the sort of bloke your family doesn't like being around when we lose, and I'm sure thats not the case, but, I'd have a day off here if I were you because you are fuming.
[Post edited 28 Jan 11:03]

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 11:07 - Jan 28 with 2981 viewsCopfordBlue

Of course I didn’t want them to beat us, nor am I ok with it. It was horrible. Paul Power scoring at Villa Park is my worst FA cup moment, yesterday comes a close second.

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 11:14 - Jan 28 with 2927 viewstextbackup

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 11:01 - Jan 28 by Cheltenham_Blue

Are any of these fans you're so angry with today actually influencing our players to be 'this wet' as you are putting it?

So what if the OP clapped the Maidstone players after the game? It was a massive achievement for that club, massive, and it will be rightly played over and over for them. In the same way Sutton United beating Coventry in the third round the year after Coventry won the cup was.

"Wanting, or being ok, with the opposition beating you goes against anything I have ever come to encounter in my 39 years on this earth."

Now I'm pi55ed off that we lost, and that we had a few players who didn't give Maidstone enough respect, but that statement only makes sense if you are involved in and playing a game, not watching two teams going at it.

You're coming across as the sort of bloke your family doesn't like being around when we lose, and I'm sure thats not the case, but, I'd have a day off here if I were you because you are fuming.
[Post edited 28 Jan 11:03]

I’m not angry if anyone clapped the other team, it doesn’t surprise me, this is Ipswich after all, it’s completely their choice. I don’t have to like it though, and that’s my choice.

Some people support in different ways to others. And yeah, the family probably do/have hate/hated being around me for the last 24hrs or whatever it is. If that was the case after every game we lose I’d accept I had a problem… but I’d say this is a pretty fcking big exception to the rule.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 11:39 - Jan 28 with 2824 viewsgainsboroughblue

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 11:14 - Jan 28 by textbackup

I’m not angry if anyone clapped the other team, it doesn’t surprise me, this is Ipswich after all, it’s completely their choice. I don’t have to like it though, and that’s my choice.

Some people support in different ways to others. And yeah, the family probably do/have hate/hated being around me for the last 24hrs or whatever it is. If that was the case after every game we lose I’d accept I had a problem… but I’d say this is a pretty fcking big exception to the rule.

Telling you now. If this result yesterday had happened to someone like Sunderland, they'd be far more 'bedwetting' as people irritatingly say than what's been on here for the last 24 hours.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 11:54 - Jan 28 with 2760 viewsLeoMuff

Applauding a team off that you don’t support doesn’t mean you are not seething or are ok with beating beaten, just means you can appreciate when a team out performs their ability hugely and puts everything they have in a game to beat far far superior opponents.

I wouldn’t applaud the opposition in almost any situations, but I can see why people would here.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 14:30 - Jan 28 with 2539 viewssticklegs

It just makes you a decent human being. I imagine the sort of people who got upset with you are the same sort of plebs who shout and swear at children's football matches.
We all love Ipswich and always want them to win, but sometimes things like this happen in football. That's why it's such a great game. I say good luck to Maidstone.
Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 15:00 - Jan 28 with 2436 viewsMK1

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 11:14 - Jan 28 by textbackup

Only if you let it be. We lost in the 4th round of the FA Cup. Forget the game and look forward to the next one. As you get on a bit, hopefully you won't take it to heart so much. It hurts, but just not the be all and end all. Stoke have had it as have Norwich just over a decade ago. It happens. It will happen to somebody else one day. Really, don't take it so seriously.
Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 15:16 - Jan 28 with 2369 viewsArnieM

I hope Maidstone get Man City or Liverpool away and get a massive pay day. They deserve it and good luck to them . I’ll be rooting for them next game that’s for sure.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 15:21 - Jan 28 with 2318 viewspointofblue

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 15:00 - Jan 28 by MK1

Only if you let it be. We lost in the 4th round of the FA Cup. Forget the game and look forward to the next one. As you get on a bit, hopefully you won't take it to heart so much. It hurts, but just not the be all and end all. Stoke have had it as have Norwich just over a decade ago. It happens. It will happen to somebody else one day. Really, don't take it so seriously.

I think what makes it worse is it was broadcast live on TV for the nation to see.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 15:25 - Jan 28 with 2293 viewsRyorry

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 10:13 - Jan 28 by MattinLondon

Great first paragraph.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 15:28 - Jan 28 with 2257 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 15:21 - Jan 28 by pointofblue

I think what makes it worse is it was broadcast live on TV for the nation to see.

Whilst "the nation" had the ability to watch it, being on the Beeb, very few would have been.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 15:30 - Jan 28 with 2239 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Have people actually given you grief for this somewhere?

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 15:37 - Jan 28 with 2205 viewsRyorry

Apologies to those offended by me and others clapping an opponent on 15:16 - Jan 28 by ArnieM

I hope Maidstone get Man City or Liverpool away and get a massive pay day. They deserve it and good luck to them . I’ll be rooting for them next game that’s for sure.

Me too. I think some people have lost sight of the spirit of sport.

The day sport becomes only about winning will be the day I stop following it.

Edit: They’ve drawn SW or Cov in the next round.
[Post edited 28 Jan 15:48]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024