Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"Thanks to Mick McCarthy for believing in me all those years ago.." 16:09 - Feb 1 with 5582 viewsElderGrizzly

Quote from Moore later on? :)
"Thanks to Mick McCarthy for believing in me all those years ago.." on 20:41 - Feb 1 with 1312 viewsMullet

"Thanks to Mick McCarthy for believing in me all those years ago.." on 20:37 - Feb 1 by Steve_M

And five years took us back to last April anyway, I thought it was quite simple maths.

You'd think this revisionism and weird determination to keep insisting it was Mick who was wrong would subside by now.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

"Thanks to Mick McCarthy for believing in me all those years ago.." on 20:41 - Feb 1 with 1318 viewsJ2BLUE

"Thanks to Mick McCarthy for believing in me all those years ago.." on 17:36 - Feb 1 by itfcjoe

McGoldrick, Garner, Waghorn and Sears - ME asked MM if he would be starting games and when MM said no he was sold

So that's where the spare balls went.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

"Thanks to Mick McCarthy for believing in me all those years ago.." on 20:53 - Feb 1 with 1276 viewsibbleobble

"Thanks to Mick McCarthy for believing in me all those years ago.." on 16:34 - Feb 1 by Steve_M

It will be six years since MM Left in April, it just took five of those to get back to where we were in the first place.

2nd in the Championship in February? Been a lot longer since that happened…
"Thanks to Mick McCarthy for believing in me all those years ago.." on 00:32 - Feb 2 with 1220 viewsEireannach_gorm

"Thanks to Mick McCarthy for believing in me all those years ago.." on 16:37 - Feb 1 by FrimleyBlue

5 Years but we're a better club for it.....

But not because Mick left. It was Evans leaving that was the catalyst.
"Thanks to Mick McCarthy for believing in me all those years ago.." on 05:36 - Feb 2 with 1190 viewsibbleobble

"Thanks to Mick McCarthy for believing in me all those years ago.." on 00:32 - Feb 2 by Eireannach_gorm

But not because Mick left. It was Evans leaving that was the catalyst.

Evans hasn’t left, he’s still a shareholder, he’s just not the major shareholder any more - thank God. Mick leaving was the catalyst imo. One step back to take two forward. Would the club have the same energy if Mick we’re still here? It wouldn’t.
"Thanks to Mick McCarthy for believing in me all those years ago.." on 09:32 - Feb 2 with 1132 viewsEireannach_gorm

"Thanks to Mick McCarthy for believing in me all those years ago.." on 05:36 - Feb 2 by ibbleobble

Evans hasn’t left, he’s still a shareholder, he’s just not the major shareholder any more - thank God. Mick leaving was the catalyst imo. One step back to take two forward. Would the club have the same energy if Mick we’re still here? It wouldn’t.

Micks replacements were the catalyst. We were so sh1te under them that that it became a financial millstone around Evans neck that he looked for an exit strategy. The fact that he retains a nominal percentage of the club is irrelevant.
"Thanks to Mick McCarthy for believing in me all those years ago.." on 09:40 - Feb 2 with 1122 viewsBattersea_Blue

"Thanks to Mick McCarthy for believing in me all those years ago.." on 05:36 - Feb 2 by ibbleobble

How do you know there wouldn’t be the same energy if Mick was still here?

One thing about Mick is his work ethic is 2nd to none and he was an excellent motivator of players. I know Mick well and know the number of hours he dedicated to this football club, which is exemplary bearing in mind he did it with one hand tied behind his back.
"Thanks to Mick McCarthy for believing in me all those years ago.." on 09:48 - Feb 2 with 1114 viewspositivity

"Thanks to Mick McCarthy for believing in me all those years ago.." on 19:42 - Feb 1 by Mullet

That's not true is it? McKenna has yet to send anyone to the Prem. Nor has he taken a load of duds and get career best performances and runs from them yet.

Give him 5 years and he will.

i think you're doing km a disservice, he's taken league one underperformers and championship rejects and made them into high-performing championship players

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Login to get fewer ads

"Thanks to Mick McCarthy for believing in me all those years ago.." on 09:50 - Feb 2 with 1099 viewspositivity

"Thanks to Mick McCarthy for believing in me all those years ago.." on 19:50 - Feb 1 by heavyweight

Don't think we were ever second in the Championship under McCarthy were we?

we were top for a while, but i don't think we ever got to february in the top 2, let alone averaging 2 points per game were we? happy to be corrected!

"Thanks to Mick McCarthy for believing in me all those years ago.." on 23:29 - Feb 2 with 1025 viewsmadmouse1959

I believe Moore joined a struggling team and did not get enough quality service or the right service.

Joined a team which contained below average players. Evans sold him for a quick profit.?

shampoo dave

"Thanks to Mick McCarthy for believing in me all those years ago.." on 00:16 - Feb 3 with 998 viewsStewart27

"Thanks to Mick McCarthy for believing in me all those years ago.." on 20:37 - Feb 1 by Steve_M

And five years took us back to last April anyway, I thought it was quite simple maths.

Jesus wept

We are currently better off than we were in peak MM. And that peak was a very short part of his time here.
[Post edited 3 Feb 0:23]
"Thanks to Mick McCarthy for believing in me all those years ago.." on 06:44 - Feb 3 with 965 viewsibbleobble

"Thanks to Mick McCarthy for believing in me all those years ago.." on 09:40 - Feb 2 by Battersea_Blue

How do you know there wouldn’t be the same energy if Mick was still here?

One thing about Mick is his work ethic is 2nd to none and he was an excellent motivator of players. I know Mick well and know the number of hours he dedicated to this football club, which is exemplary bearing in mind he did it with one hand tied behind his back.

Is that a joke? Talk about revising history. I could pull any number of strands but the them versus mentality was clear to see. Please don’t try and infer if Mick had more money the energy around the club would be some way comparable to now - that would be farcical.
"Thanks to Mick McCarthy for believing in me all those years ago.." on 06:48 - Feb 3 with 959 viewsibbleobble

"Thanks to Mick McCarthy for believing in me all those years ago.." on 09:32 - Feb 2 by Eireannach_gorm

Micks replacements were the catalyst. We were so sh1te under them that that it became a financial millstone around Evans neck that he looked for an exit strategy. The fact that he retains a nominal percentage of the club is irrelevant.

Exactly, Mick leaving was the catalyst and his replacements were worse than him. It’s a thin line depending where you draw it. Mick was on a downward trajectory with the funds available so it was only a matter of time before he couldn’t keep us competitive.
"Thanks to Mick McCarthy for believing in me all those years ago.." on 08:24 - Feb 3 with 926 viewsLeoMuff

"Thanks to Mick McCarthy for believing in me all those years ago.." on 00:16 - Feb 3 by Stewart27

Jesus wept

We are currently better off than we were in peak MM. And that peak was a very short part of his time here.
[Post edited 3 Feb 0:23]

If MM had the infrastructure and backing KM has he probably would have got us up. I don’t see KM key squad members being sold then being replaced by a Leon Best type, we get a key injury and Ashton comes up with a £40k per week replacement.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

"Thanks to Mick McCarthy for believing in me all those years ago.." on 08:42 - Feb 3 with 917 viewsStewart27

"Thanks to Mick McCarthy for believing in me all those years ago.." on 08:24 - Feb 3 by LeoMuff

If MM had the infrastructure and backing KM has he probably would have got us up. I don’t see KM key squad members being sold then being replaced by a Leon Best type, we get a key injury and Ashton comes up with a £40k per week replacement.

Who are we paying 40k a week in wages to?

Just because Evans didn’t pay fees, the players under MM didn’t play for us for Monopoly money.
"Thanks to Mick McCarthy for believing in me all those years ago.." on 09:13 - Feb 3 with 897 viewsLeoMuff

"Thanks to Mick McCarthy for believing in me all those years ago.." on 08:42 - Feb 3 by Stewart27

Who are we paying 40k a week in wages to?

Just because Evans didn’t pay fees, the players under MM didn’t play for us for Monopoly money.

Yeah we attracted the leagues top dogs under Evans lol.

Ok sorry 30k-40k

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

"Thanks to Mick McCarthy for believing in me all those years ago.." on 09:23 - Feb 3 with 878 viewsMullet

"Thanks to Mick McCarthy for believing in me all those years ago.." on 09:48 - Feb 2 by positivity

i think you're doing km a disservice, he's taken league one underperformers and championship rejects and made them into high-performing championship players

Except we were big spenders underachieving and buying in players from the League above. Why you're trying to make this argument is baffling.

It's almost like facts are irrelevant in order to keep trying to justify stuff that was never right. This weird either/or mentality people adopt with managers is so facile. Both are great and one will go onto be greater, that doesn't diminish that Mick deserves a massive amount of humble pie and more from a large chunk of fans.

"Thanks to Mick McCarthy for believing in me all those years ago.." on 09:25 - Feb 3 with 868 viewsunstableblue

"Thanks to Mick McCarthy for believing in me all those years ago.." on 09:48 - Feb 2 by positivity

Hear hear

Some ridiculous statements going on here

McKenna is 19 points off our 14/15 play-off season tally and we’ve got what 18 games to go?

So its looking likely he’ll have done better at Town than Mick.

And frankly we could finish on our current point total and with the entertainment and quality of goals/play he’s smashed any other manager since Burley off the park.

As you point out he’s improved and brought through lots of ‘duds’ and lower level players.. and made them play better.. Hirst, Wolfenden, Burgess, Burns, Jackson, hell even Morsy never hit these heights before.

And as for Moore, yes Mick brought him in, but he did not develop him, and Mick was openly critical of him at the end. He went to another club and started banging in the goals.

Mick is a good guy, a good manager, could spot talent, and saved us from relegation. But the football was dire to watch and sent fans away in their droves, they are the facts. And to compare him to McKenna is plain mad.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

"Thanks to Mick McCarthy for believing in me all those years ago.." on 09:56 - Feb 3 with 833 viewsibbleobble

"Thanks to Mick McCarthy for believing in me all those years ago.." on 08:24 - Feb 3 by LeoMuff

If you trust this source, KM is punching massively above our weight. Mick’s budget back then was relatively comparable to this in the context of the time. KM is showing how you genuinely punch above your weight”. The idea that Mick could have done that too is complete fantasy - he managed one 6th place finish in 6-years despite laying down a mandate that he wanted us back in the perm.

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/championship-wage-bills-2023-24-leeds
[Post edited 3 Feb 9:57]
"Thanks to Mick McCarthy for believing in me all those years ago.." on 09:58 - Feb 3 with 824 viewsRyorry

"Thanks to Mick McCarthy for believing in me all those years ago.." on 09:25 - Feb 3 by unstableblue

Hear hear

Some ridiculous statements going on here

McKenna is 19 points off our 14/15 play-off season tally and we’ve got what 18 games to go?

So its looking likely he’ll have done better at Town than Mick.

And frankly we could finish on our current point total and with the entertainment and quality of goals/play he’s smashed any other manager since Burley off the park.

As you point out he’s improved and brought through lots of ‘duds’ and lower level players.. and made them play better.. Hirst, Wolfenden, Burgess, Burns, Jackson, hell even Morsy never hit these heights before.

And as for Moore, yes Mick brought him in, but he did not develop him, and Mick was openly critical of him at the end. He went to another club and started banging in the goals.

Mick is a good guy, a good manager, could spot talent, and saved us from relegation. But the football was dire to watch and sent fans away in their droves, they are the facts. And to compare him to McKenna is plain mad.

Some people are still obsessed with our last-manager-but-4. He seems to be managerial marmite.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

"Thanks to Mick McCarthy for believing in me all those years ago.." on 10:23 - Feb 3 with 787 viewsunstableblue

"Thanks to Mick McCarthy for believing in me all those years ago.." on 09:58 - Feb 3 by Ryorry

Some people are still obsessed with our last-manager-but-4. He seems to be managerial marmite.

It’s a football message board, ‘discussing’ differing views is what it’s all about. And generates the clicks.

Marmite is a good analogy… but maybe not right for Town fans views on Mick

In these social media days everyone is prone to confirmation bias, nuance is dead.

Some people the ‘numbskulls’ hated Mick as a person, some liked him as a man but hated the football, some really loved 14/15 and micks stock remained high, some loved him as a man and a manager, then there is Mullet.

But surely the facts are:

- Mick arrived with promotions, a reputation as a god man manager, but from the old school
- he saved us from relegation with a superb turn around
- spurred on by a Murphy wunder season we made the play-offs
- we never played a system good enough to get through those play-offs
- mick was not refused funds in the January season
- numerous players confirmed Micks brilliant man management, none more so that Williams
- kick spotted real talent in Mings, and loanees
- the football didn’t put entertainment anywhere as a priority
- we’d take 1 point on the road and not get on the bus
- the football was dire to watch and sent 1000s away, many season tickets holders stayed away
- it was toxic at the end

Can anyone argue with any of the above??

He’s come up again because of Moore, who Mick found in non-league, failed to bring through and seemed to fall out with, but then got good form at Cardiff.

The reason for this thread extension and the Mick debate reigniting is Moore but also comparisons to McKenna… McKeenna is a different man, manager and level. Period. He is delivering what the Suffolk public want - entertainment

To conclude someone had a drop the mic moment in the ongoing manager -4 dialogue:

“Under Mick you’d leave the ground after a 1.0 win and it would be muted, and people would immediately start talking about other topics, now after a McKenna win people are buzzing, wooping and want to talk about a entertaining event packed match” (sic)

That’s the reality. Or is that just my confirmation bias??

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

"Thanks to Mick McCarthy for believing in me all those years ago.." on 10:23 - Feb 3 with 786 viewspositivity

"Thanks to Mick McCarthy for believing in me all those years ago.." on 09:23 - Feb 3 by Mullet

Except we were big spenders underachieving and buying in players from the League above. Why you're trying to make this argument is baffling.

It's almost like facts are irrelevant in order to keep trying to justify stuff that was never right. This weird either/or mentality people adopt with managers is so facile. Both are great and one will go onto be greater, that doesn't diminish that Mick deserves a massive amount of humble pie and more from a large chunk of fans.

i'm not talking about bringing in the waltons, broadheads and morsys, it's the improvements to donacien, jackson, woolfenden, burgess etc etc.

just because you liked mick until the bitter end, doesn't mean you have to denigrate mckenna!

"Thanks to Mick McCarthy for believing in me all those years ago.." on 10:24 - Feb 3 with 773 viewsMullet

"Thanks to Mick McCarthy for believing in me all those years ago.." on 10:23 - Feb 3 by positivity

i'm not talking about bringing in the waltons, broadheads and morsys, it's the improvements to donacien, jackson, woolfenden, burgess etc etc.

just because you liked mick until the bitter end, doesn't mean you have to denigrate mckenna!

I haven't. Quite the opposite.

Thanks for proving my point so perfectly.

"Thanks to Mick McCarthy for believing in me all those years ago.." on 10:24 - Feb 3 with 774 viewspositivity

"Thanks to Mick McCarthy for believing in me all those years ago.." on 09:58 - Feb 3 by Ryorry

the jeremy corbyn of itfc!

"Thanks to Mick McCarthy for believing in me all those years ago.." on 10:27 - Feb 3 with 757 viewspositivity

"Thanks to Mick McCarthy for believing in me all those years ago.." on 10:24 - Feb 3 by Mullet

I haven't. Quite the opposite.

Thanks for proving my point so perfectly.

i think asking about mckenna "has he taken a load of duds and get career best performances and runs from them"? suggests you are denigrating mckenna's excellent work.

if that's not what you meant, then great!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024