Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Exactly a year ago 09:48 - Feb 14 with 1821 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Bristol Rovers away.

Morsy verbally clashing with a few fans after the game.

Some of us gave up. I nearly did and said it would be a hard battle to stay in the top 6

Exactly a year ago on 09:53 - Feb 14 with 1782 viewsEdwardStone

Yes, that match had me questioning my life choices and whether it was worthwhile continuing to be a Town fan.

I am just so glad that we went on our amazing run, these have been the happiest times ever.

Fingers crossed we can do something similar starting tonight
Exactly a year ago on 09:56 - Feb 14 with 1746 viewsKeno

Exactly a year ago on 09:53 - Feb 14 by EdwardStone

Yes, that match had me questioning my life choices and whether it was worthwhile continuing to be a Town fan.

I am just so glad that we went on our amazing run, these have been the happiest times ever.

Fingers crossed we can do something similar starting tonight

So will you be at the Den giving it large to Sam at the final whistle?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Exactly a year ago on 10:20 - Feb 14 with 1677 viewsEdwardStone

Exactly a year ago on 09:56 - Feb 14 by Keno

So will you be at the Den giving it large to Sam at the final whistle?

I will be at Liberty on Saturday

Armchair and shouting at tv tonight
Exactly a year ago on 11:33 - Feb 14 with 1585 viewsitfcjoe

That was the only time I thought we wouldn't finish in the top 2, I was never worried about the top 6

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Exactly a year ago on 11:37 - Feb 14 with 1552 viewsJakeITFC

Remember it being a pathetic reaction to that on here, hopefully not a repeat tonight.
Exactly a year ago on 13:06 - Feb 14 with 1377 viewsIllinoisblue

Insane to think we’ve lost only 4 league games in 12 months.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Exactly a year ago on 13:20 - Feb 14 with 1314 viewspointofblue

Exactly a year ago on 13:06 - Feb 14 by Illinoisblue

Insane to think we’ve lost only 4 league games in 12 months.

And only three teams.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Exactly a year ago on 13:26 - Feb 14 with 1282 viewstextbackup

Exactly a year ago on 11:33 - Feb 14 by itfcjoe

That was the only time I thought we wouldn't finish in the top 2, I was never worried about the top 6

Yep, accepted it was PO for us after that game.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Login to get fewer ads

Exactly a year ago on 13:47 - Feb 14 with 1201 viewsTractorCam

Exactly a year ago on 11:33 - Feb 14 by itfcjoe

That could be the same as me tonight. Right now I am still confident of a 2nd place finish.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Exactly a year ago on 13:48 - Feb 14 with 1192 viewsVegtablue

Exactly a year ago on 13:26 - Feb 14 by textbackup

Yep, accepted it was PO for us after that game.

Same. Top two weren't dropping off. Plymouth collapsed the season before and had strengthened accordingly; Wednesday enjoyed a statistical dominance in complement with their points haul. And even if one did falter, our best case scenario had crept well north of 2 points per game. Heck, we still had Bolton, Derby, Posh and Barnsley away to tick off.

As it transpired, 12 wins, 2 draws and 1 loss wouldn't have been enough (2.53 PPG)! Stuff of folklore really.
Exactly a year ago on 13:55 - Feb 14 with 1159 viewstextbackup

Exactly a year ago on 13:48 - Feb 14 by Vegtablue

Same. Top two weren't dropping off. Plymouth collapsed the season before and had strengthened accordingly; Wednesday enjoyed a statistical dominance in complement with their points haul. And even if one did falter, our best case scenario had crept well north of 2 points per game. Heck, we still had Bolton, Derby, Posh and Barnsley away to tick off.

As it transpired, 12 wins, 2 draws and 1 loss wouldn't have been enough (2.53 PPG)! Stuff of folklore really.

It’s only a year on, but I really only remember peterbourgh, barnsley away, and Exeter at home from that run. Couldn’t name another team we played. That’s bad isn’t it

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Exactly a year ago on 13:56 - Feb 14 with 1142 viewsVegtablue

Exactly a year ago on 13:55 - Feb 14 by textbackup

It’s only a year on, but I really only remember peterbourgh, barnsley away, and Exeter at home from that run. Couldn’t name another team we played. That’s bad isn’t it

It's been a whirlwind time but yeah 😅
Exactly a year ago on 14:58 - Feb 14 with 1010 viewspositivity

surely the 6-0 v charlton after all the angst of the 4-4 away game?

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Exactly a year ago on 15:08 - Feb 14 with 976 viewsblueoxford

Exactly a year ago on 14:58 - Feb 14 by positivity

surely the 6-0 v charlton after all the angst of the 4-4 away game?

My son and I met the team on the pitch after that game and believe that it was my brief pep talk to each of them that made all the difference. Either that or the fact that Sam was fired up to a different level from that night until the end of the season….
Exactly a year ago on 15:27 - Feb 14 with 919 viewsBlueBoots

Find ourselves in a similar position at the same stage this season (mid-season dip after early season flying start) I've posted a few stats showing just how similar, and a few personal thoughts on why it happens. Hopefully history will repeat itself in the final 3rd of the season!

Two Thirds of the season gone...comparison with the last 2 seasons at this point by BlueBoots 14 Feb 10:58
Last season was adding these stats / comments to Nthsuffolkblue's excellent thread (I will link to it in my next post)...but a bit more data this time around, so posting a new thread rather than piggyback there [grin]

Key numbers...our projected total based on current Points Per Game / Goals Per Game...92 Points, 84 Goals (This stage last season...86 Points, 86 Goals - remarkable to have improved our points tally and almost matched our goals tally despite going up a division)

Just to put into context how difficult the task is that we are trying to achieve, last season Sunderland were the first team in the past 9 seasons that managed to finish in the Top 6 following promotion from League One, and only 2 teams have managed back to back promotions from League One to the Premier League in the past 15 seasons, Southampton in 2011/2012 (finished 2nd, but came up from League One on a pretty sound footing with the likes of Kelvin Davis, Adam Lallana and Rickie Lambert already in the squad) and another team managed to finish 2nd the previous season (I'll leave it at that...[sick])

Just to make things more difficult for ourselves, last season's record-breaking totals in League One (Sheffield Wednesday hold the record for the most points in a League One season for the team finishing in 3rd place) ended up as a 3-horse-race for 2 automatic promotion spots; this season (barring a spectacular collapse by Leicester), we find ourselves in another 3-horse-race, but for just one automatic promotion spot...

So...with two thirds of the season gone, a few stats and comparisons between the first and second thirds of this season, and how that compares with the last 2 seasons...

1) 2.00 PPG, compared with 1.87 PPG at this stage last season (just 1.52 PPG in the 2021/2022 season). (1st Third 2.4 PPG (2024) 2.2 PPG (2023) / 2nd Third 1.60 PPG (2024) 1.53 PPG (2023))

2) Scoring 1.83 GPG, compared with 1.87 GPG at this stage last season (we only scored 1.46 GPG in the 2021/2022 season).
(1st Third 2.2 GPG (2024) 1.87 GPG (2023) / 2nd Third 1.47 GPG (2024) 1.87 GPG (2023))

3) Conceding 1.33 GPG, compared with 1.03 GPG at this stage last season (we only conceded 1.00 GPG in the 2021/2022 season). (1st Third 1.27 GPG (2024) 0.80 GPG (2023) / 2nd Third 1.40 (2024) 1.27 (2023))

4) Effectively about 4 points behind our points total for last season (98 points from 46 games = 64 from 30...currently 60 from 30)

So in this season and last, a significant drop off in points in the 2nd third of the season from the 1st third, but (again remarkably, as we've gone up a division) we've gained more points in each third than we did in the same ones last season. Reasons why we've followed this pattern for both seasons under KMcK? In my opinion, it will be an accumulation of factors. The usual injuries / suspensions that all teams experience, our players are expected to play at a high intensity; opposition teams trying to take us on at our open, attacking style earlier in the season now giving us more respect and playing more defensively against us (Using the last game as an example, even West Brom who pressed to death in their home game against us opted to sit off and get men behind the ball at Portman Road for most of the game) But a further (and I think most important) factor is ending up with a problem in one position of the pitch for an extended period.

Last season, the problem was at centre-mid with injuries to Evans and Ball effectively leaving us with just Morsy and Humphreys to carry us through until the transfer window, when Luongo came in and gave us a boost we needed (we also recruited well in other areas, bringing in players who were an upgrade on what we had). This season, the problem has been at No.9...the stats bear out that Hirst has been our most effective player (we've averaged 2.00 PPG this season, but 2.30 PPG when Hirst plays - for reference, the players with the next best PPG are Brandon Williams (2.13 PPG), Cameron Burgess (2.09 PPG) and Samy Morsy and Nathan Broadhead (both 2.08 PPG)) and since his injury our back-ups (Ladapo, Scarlett and Jackson) weren't able to offer the same outlet.

This has obviously had a knock-on effect on the rest of the team...noticeable since Hirst's injury that in some games we've ended up playing "in front of" teams at a slower pace, and having to try to unlock them when they've got back into defensive shape; as well as making it more difficult to score goals, we commit so many players forward in attacks that we leave ourselves vulnerable to counter-attacks - the Maidstone game being an extreme example. With Hirst in the team, we were able to get the ball forward quicker and exploit the space left by teams before they could get bodies behind the ball. Like last season where we brought in Luongo, we have addressed that in the transfer window bringing in Moore and Al-Hamadi. As well as giving us an improved goal threat, having No.9's who will be able to help us retain possession in the final third of the pitch will hopefully help us to concede fewer goals with the ball coming back at us less frequently, and from less dangerous areas of the pitch. (Although clear from a number of goals we have conceded that we also need to reduce the number of unforced errors we are currently making)

In summary, pretty much saying the same thing at this point as I did last season ("Key priority seems to be a bit of back to basics tightening up the defence") - after that point last season we had a run of 9 consecutive clean sheets which helped us to kick on; going to be much harder to achieve anything like that this season up against better players and teams, but we really need to find a solution to this problem to give ourselves a chance. Unlike last season though, problem has been compounded by the drop off in goals scored - averaging below 1.5 GPG as we have over the past 15 games doesn't give us much margin for error defensively, but as mentioned earlier hopefully by strengthening at No.9 that will improve.

Is automatic promotion possible? Well, at this point last season we were sitting in third in League One, 8 points behind Plymouth and 6 points behind Sheffield Wednesday (who had a game in hand) Both teams didn't slip up in their run-ins - we ended up having to go an incredible run of 42 points from our last 16 games (2.63 PPG) to overhaul just one of them. Despite being on target for 92 Points, we all know we're up against 3 recent Premier League squads to achieve that; there may well be more record-breaking points totals this season. Leicester (1st 3rd 36 Points, 2nd 3rd 36 Points) and Leeds (1st 3rd 30 Points, 2nd 3rd 32 Points) have been consistent, Southampton have put in a run after a slower start to the season (1st 3rd 27 Points, 2nd 3rd 37 Points), whereas we have had a dip after an excellent start (1st 3rd 36 Points, 2nd 3rd 24 Points) If, like last season, neither of our rivals slip up in the final 3rd of the season, we will need to put in another incredible run...as the manager / players often point out, we can't control the results of the other teams - just take one game at a time and give it a damn good go.

COYB

(Have copy / pasted the (shorter!) review I wrote at the same point last season in my next post for reference)

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

Exactly a year ago on 16:03 - Feb 14 with 825 viewspointofblue

Exactly a year ago on 15:27 - Feb 14 by BlueBoots

Find ourselves in a similar position at the same stage this season (mid-season dip after early season flying start) I've posted a few stats showing just how similar, and a few personal thoughts on why it happens. Hopefully history will repeat itself in the final 3rd of the season!

Two Thirds of the season gone...comparison with the last 2 seasons at this point by BlueBoots 14 Feb 10:58
Last season was adding these stats / comments to Nthsuffolkblue's excellent thread (I will link to it in my next post)...but a bit more data this time around, so posting a new thread rather than piggyback there [grin]

Key numbers...our projected total based on current Points Per Game / Goals Per Game...92 Points, 84 Goals (This stage last season...86 Points, 86 Goals - remarkable to have improved our points tally and almost matched our goals tally despite going up a division)

Just to put into context how difficult the task is that we are trying to achieve, last season Sunderland were the first team in the past 9 seasons that managed to finish in the Top 6 following promotion from League One, and only 2 teams have managed back to back promotions from League One to the Premier League in the past 15 seasons, Southampton in 2011/2012 (finished 2nd, but came up from League One on a pretty sound footing with the likes of Kelvin Davis, Adam Lallana and Rickie Lambert already in the squad) and another team managed to finish 2nd the previous season (I'll leave it at that...[sick])

Just to make things more difficult for ourselves, last season's record-breaking totals in League One (Sheffield Wednesday hold the record for the most points in a League One season for the team finishing in 3rd place) ended up as a 3-horse-race for 2 automatic promotion spots; this season (barring a spectacular collapse by Leicester), we find ourselves in another 3-horse-race, but for just one automatic promotion spot...

So...with two thirds of the season gone, a few stats and comparisons between the first and second thirds of this season, and how that compares with the last 2 seasons...

1) 2.00 PPG, compared with 1.87 PPG at this stage last season (just 1.52 PPG in the 2021/2022 season). (1st Third 2.4 PPG (2024) 2.2 PPG (2023) / 2nd Third 1.60 PPG (2024) 1.53 PPG (2023))

2) Scoring 1.83 GPG, compared with 1.87 GPG at this stage last season (we only scored 1.46 GPG in the 2021/2022 season).
(1st Third 2.2 GPG (2024) 1.87 GPG (2023) / 2nd Third 1.47 GPG (2024) 1.87 GPG (2023))

3) Conceding 1.33 GPG, compared with 1.03 GPG at this stage last season (we only conceded 1.00 GPG in the 2021/2022 season). (1st Third 1.27 GPG (2024) 0.80 GPG (2023) / 2nd Third 1.40 (2024) 1.27 (2023))

4) Effectively about 4 points behind our points total for last season (98 points from 46 games = 64 from 30...currently 60 from 30)

So in this season and last, a significant drop off in points in the 2nd third of the season from the 1st third, but (again remarkably, as we've gone up a division) we've gained more points in each third than we did in the same ones last season. Reasons why we've followed this pattern for both seasons under KMcK? In my opinion, it will be an accumulation of factors. The usual injuries / suspensions that all teams experience, our players are expected to play at a high intensity; opposition teams trying to take us on at our open, attacking style earlier in the season now giving us more respect and playing more defensively against us (Using the last game as an example, even West Brom who pressed to death in their home game against us opted to sit off and get men behind the ball at Portman Road for most of the game) But a further (and I think most important) factor is ending up with a problem in one position of the pitch for an extended period.

Last season, the problem was at centre-mid with injuries to Evans and Ball effectively leaving us with just Morsy and Humphreys to carry us through until the transfer window, when Luongo came in and gave us a boost we needed (we also recruited well in other areas, bringing in players who were an upgrade on what we had). This season, the problem has been at No.9...the stats bear out that Hirst has been our most effective player (we've averaged 2.00 PPG this season, but 2.30 PPG when Hirst plays - for reference, the players with the next best PPG are Brandon Williams (2.13 PPG), Cameron Burgess (2.09 PPG) and Samy Morsy and Nathan Broadhead (both 2.08 PPG)) and since his injury our back-ups (Ladapo, Scarlett and Jackson) weren't able to offer the same outlet.

This has obviously had a knock-on effect on the rest of the team...noticeable since Hirst's injury that in some games we've ended up playing "in front of" teams at a slower pace, and having to try to unlock them when they've got back into defensive shape; as well as making it more difficult to score goals, we commit so many players forward in attacks that we leave ourselves vulnerable to counter-attacks - the Maidstone game being an extreme example. With Hirst in the team, we were able to get the ball forward quicker and exploit the space left by teams before they could get bodies behind the ball. Like last season where we brought in Luongo, we have addressed that in the transfer window bringing in Moore and Al-Hamadi. As well as giving us an improved goal threat, having No.9's who will be able to help us retain possession in the final third of the pitch will hopefully help us to concede fewer goals with the ball coming back at us less frequently, and from less dangerous areas of the pitch. (Although clear from a number of goals we have conceded that we also need to reduce the number of unforced errors we are currently making)

In summary, pretty much saying the same thing at this point as I did last season ("Key priority seems to be a bit of back to basics tightening up the defence") - after that point last season we had a run of 9 consecutive clean sheets which helped us to kick on; going to be much harder to achieve anything like that this season up against better players and teams, but we really need to find a solution to this problem to give ourselves a chance. Unlike last season though, problem has been compounded by the drop off in goals scored - averaging below 1.5 GPG as we have over the past 15 games doesn't give us much margin for error defensively, but as mentioned earlier hopefully by strengthening at No.9 that will improve.

Is automatic promotion possible? Well, at this point last season we were sitting in third in League One, 8 points behind Plymouth and 6 points behind Sheffield Wednesday (who had a game in hand) Both teams didn't slip up in their run-ins - we ended up having to go an incredible run of 42 points from our last 16 games (2.63 PPG) to overhaul just one of them. Despite being on target for 92 Points, we all know we're up against 3 recent Premier League squads to achieve that; there may well be more record-breaking points totals this season. Leicester (1st 3rd 36 Points, 2nd 3rd 36 Points) and Leeds (1st 3rd 30 Points, 2nd 3rd 32 Points) have been consistent, Southampton have put in a run after a slower start to the season (1st 3rd 27 Points, 2nd 3rd 37 Points), whereas we have had a dip after an excellent start (1st 3rd 36 Points, 2nd 3rd 24 Points) If, like last season, neither of our rivals slip up in the final 3rd of the season, we will need to put in another incredible run...as the manager / players often point out, we can't control the results of the other teams - just take one game at a time and give it a damn good go.

COYB

(Have copy / pasted the (shorter!) review I wrote at the same point last season in my next post for reference)

Just in reference to the two teams which were promoted the season after coming up from League One, I think in both cases they had been relegated from the Premier League, fell through the Championship the following year, regrouped and won double promotion back to the Premier League. So they had the benefits of parachute payments etc. which we do not have.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Exactly a year ago on 16:03 - Feb 14 with 823 viewsNthQldITFC

It is bad. I've got sh!t for brains and even I can remember Bolton and Derby away. I'm also hoping to secure the US presidency in 9 months time.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Exactly a year ago on 16:36 - Feb 14 with 746 viewsVegtablue

Exactly a year ago on 16:03 - Feb 14 by NthQldITFC

It is bad. I've got sh!t for brains and even I can remember Bolton and Derby away. I'm also hoping to secure the US presidency in 9 months time.

You have my vote.

Special shout-out too to Port Vale home and the handballs before HANDBALL, which remains the closest Woolf has come to a red card.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024