Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our away defence compared to home defence 23:35 - Feb 21 with 3561 viewspointofblue

The difference in the number of goals we've conceded home and away is stark.

Home - 26 from 16 games (15 more than Leicester and Leeds, 6 more than Southampton, 13 more than West Brom, 10 more than Hull, 12 more than Coventry, 8 more than Norwich)

Away - 18 from 17 games (3 more than Leicester and Leeds, two less than Southampton, level with West Brom, 8 less than Hull, 5 less than Coventry, 14 less than Norwich)

It's even more ridiculous when considering seven of those 18 goals came at Leeds and Preston, so that makes it 11 from the remaining 15.

To put it in greater perspective, we have the joint third best away defence but our home defensive record is worse than everyone, Preston excluded, up to Blackburn in 16th, and even the bottom three have conceded fewer goals.

From what I've seen we don't seem to approach the games that differently away from Portman Road but there must be something behind why we seem so much better on the road. I'm sure it's something McKenna is looking into, and working out if we can bring anything from our travels to the home matches.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Our away defence compared to home defence on 23:39 - Feb 21 with 2993 viewsNthsuffolkblue

There is a big difference in goals for too.

I think a lot of it is the difference in approach of the opposition. We have to take more chances at the back to open up a team playing more defensively at Portman Road? We get more chance to create when a team feels more need to come on to us in front of their home fans and so don't need to be so open? I don't know. It has been notable that we had much lower scoring games away than at home generally, though.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Our away defence compared to home defence on 23:50 - Feb 21 with 2956 viewspointofblue

Our away defence compared to home defence on 23:39 - Feb 21 by Nthsuffolkblue

There is a big difference in goals for too.

I think a lot of it is the difference in approach of the opposition. We have to take more chances at the back to open up a team playing more defensively at Portman Road? We get more chance to create when a team feels more need to come on to us in front of their home fans and so don't need to be so open? I don't know. It has been notable that we had much lower scoring games away than at home generally, though.

That's a fair point, though our away goals scored are not outlandishly low compared to the rest of the division, Leicester excluded who are on a slightly ridiculous 35.

I wonder whether away teams moving forward may change their approach against us and try and invite us on? Saying that, I can't imagine Norwich, Coventry or Hull fans being very accepting of that approach and are more likely to try and take us on playing football (albeit both us and Hull may struggle with the bog).

Our away defence compared to home defence on 06:32 - Feb 22 with 2761 viewsRIPbobby

I would still say it's the refs. They seem to try and even the match up at Portman Road by giving the opposition every possible decision. Away from home the refs seem much fairer? Very odd.
Our away defence compared to home defence on 07:18 - Feb 22 with 2693 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

The disparity was at the start of the season where we just conceded 2 from the 1st 6 aways. If you run a league table from November we’ve conceded similar home and away.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Our away defence compared to home defence on 07:53 - Feb 22 with 2604 viewsHerbivore

Our away defence compared to home defence on 23:50 - Feb 21 by pointofblue

That's a fair point, though our away goals scored are not outlandishly low compared to the rest of the division, Leicester excluded who are on a slightly ridiculous 35.

I wonder whether away teams moving forward may change their approach against us and try and invite us on? Saying that, I can't imagine Norwich, Coventry or Hull fans being very accepting of that approach and are more likely to try and take us on playing football (albeit both us and Hull may struggle with the bog).

But our away goals scored compared to our home goals scored is significantly different. We concede a lot at home but we also score a lot at home. Tactically we don't play that differently but we definitely commit more men forward more regularly at home than we tend to away from home, which can then leave us exposed to quick counters or overloads in our full back areas. Teams do also seem to be very clinical when they come to Portman Road, our xGA at home is 1.10, which is the joint 5th best in the division.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Our away defence compared to home defence on 08:29 - Feb 22 with 2492 viewsAVJones

Our away defence compared to home defence on 06:32 - Feb 22 by RIPbobby

I would still say it's the refs. They seem to try and even the match up at Portman Road by giving the opposition every possible decision. Away from home the refs seem much fairer? Very odd.

As if referees could do that. They make mistakes but they’d never do that.

Unless I’m being swooshed, that is plain ridiculous
Our away defence compared to home defence on 08:50 - Feb 22 with 2414 viewsmrshallisfit

Our away defence compared to home defence on 08:29 - Feb 22 by AVJones

As if referees could do that. They make mistakes but they’d never do that.

Unless I’m being swooshed, that is plain ridiculous

Yes the officials at Preston away were very fair.
Our away defence compared to home defence on 09:03 - Feb 22 with 2386 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

We have to stop the brain farts and lethargic first 20 minutes. Conceding from the oppositions first attack was utterly ridiculous, and far from the first time. You have to admire the ability to dig deep and come back from setbacks, but we need to start ironing out some of these mistakes if we end up in the playoffs. The Rotherham penalty was a joke, but they score two really soft goals, imagine what the likes of Leeds would do to us.

I get there must be some tiredness in the team but we’ve got quality cover now, and every team plays the same number of league games. We have the quality at the back, Woolfie and Burgess overall have had good seasons, but we do need to come out and defensively make our mark on the game.
Login to get fewer ads

Our away defence compared to home defence on 09:29 - Feb 22 with 2306 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Our away defence compared to home defence on 08:50 - Feb 22 by mrshallisfit

Yes the officials at Preston away were very fair.

They made mistakes….that’s nothing to do with fairness.

Poll: Our final position

Our away defence compared to home defence on 09:33 - Feb 22 with 2297 viewsHerbivore

We've had plenty of shocking decisions away from home as well. I don't think it's down to that.

Our away defence compared to home defence on 09:42 - Feb 22 with 2264 viewsiamipswich

I'm afraid to say, respectfully, that is nonsense.

Refs do not have such an agenda. Some are just terrible.

Poll: Who will return first?

Our away defence compared to home defence on 11:47 - Feb 22 with 2068 viewsE_I_E_I_E_I_O

But we are not better away. We have 5 more points at home from 1 less game. At home we just play more open. It’s that simple.
[Post edited 22 Feb 11:50]
Our away defence compared to home defence on 12:00 - Feb 22 with 2015 viewsElephantintheRoom

You’re overegging it. Teams tend to defend more away from home and be more hung ho at home.

However you are probably correct that Town’s Achilles heal is probably their leaky defence - hence their record against top six teams being a bit iffy.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Our away defence compared to home defence on 12:03 - Feb 22 with 2013 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Our away defence compared to home defence on 12:00 - Feb 22 by ElephantintheRoom

You’re overegging it. Teams tend to defend more away from home and be more hung ho at home.

However you are probably correct that Town’s Achilles heal is probably their leaky defence - hence their record against top six teams being a bit iffy.

A fairly reasoned point - who are you, and what have you done with the elephant?
Our away defence compared to home defence on 12:22 - Feb 22 with 1966 viewspointofblue

Our away defence compared to home defence on 12:00 - Feb 22 by ElephantintheRoom

Teams tend to defend more say from home and be more ging ho at home... but we've conceded far more goals to visitors than we have on our travels?

I wonder if there is anything we can implement from our away performances to the games at Portman Road, or whether this would affect the goals scored column? As horrible as Tuesday was, I prefer winning 4-3 to 1-0.

Our away defence compared to home defence on 12:24 - Feb 22 with 1943 viewsblueasfook

Our away defence compared to home defence on 12:03 - Feb 22 by SuperKieranMcKenna

A fairly reasoned point - who are you, and what have you done with the elephant?

Gav must have tweaked the AI settings. "Do less negative"

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Our away defence compared to home defence on 12:29 - Feb 22 with 1926 viewsArnieM

We don't deal with Teams that transition from defence to attack quickly because we are slow in midfield and defence.

We don't ( and rarely have) defended balls coming into our box . Certain individuals cant header a ball, and lack physical presence to dominate their opponent in the box.

We are poor at covering for our LB and especially RB when they go forward. We have conceded most of our goals down our right side .

The Rotherham game encapsulated most of the above.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Our away defence compared to home defence on 12:30 - Feb 22 with 1896 viewsHerbivore

Our away defence compared to home defence on 12:22 - Feb 22 by pointofblue

Teams tend to defend more say from home and be more ging ho at home... but we've conceded far more goals to visitors than we have on our travels?

I wonder if there is anything we can implement from our away performances to the games at Portman Road, or whether this would affect the goals scored column? As horrible as Tuesday was, I prefer winning 4-3 to 1-0.

On your first point, we go more gung ho at home which leaves us exposed at the back and it seems sides coming here know they need to be clinical and they tend to be quite ruthless in taking their chances, which is backed up statistically as well as with the eye test. Away, we generally have to defend more as our opponents will be on the front foot and we work our way into games a bit more. Generally we aren't throwing as many bodies forward and just looking to outscore the opposition. That's just the nature of football.

I don't think we need to change to be honest. Not only is it entertaining, as you say, it's also highly successful. Only Leicester and Leeds have accrued more points at home than us, and only by 3 points, and in Leicester's case they've played a game more. The approach is largely working very effectively.

Our away defence compared to home defence on 12:37 - Feb 22 with 1837 viewspointofblue

Our away defence compared to home defence on 12:30 - Feb 22 by Herbivore

On your first point, we go more gung ho at home which leaves us exposed at the back and it seems sides coming here know they need to be clinical and they tend to be quite ruthless in taking their chances, which is backed up statistically as well as with the eye test. Away, we generally have to defend more as our opponents will be on the front foot and we work our way into games a bit more. Generally we aren't throwing as many bodies forward and just looking to outscore the opposition. That's just the nature of football.

I don't think we need to change to be honest. Not only is it entertaining, as you say, it's also highly successful. Only Leicester and Leeds have accrued more points at home than us, and only by 3 points, and in Leicester's case they've played a game more. The approach is largely working very effectively.

I suppose, in your first paragraph, you're answering what I asked on the OP. I didn't think we were more open at home than away, but perhaps we are? That, and teams seem to be very clinical in taking their chances down here for some reason.

Our away defence compared to home defence on 12:40 - Feb 22 with 1833 viewsHerbivore

Our away defence compared to home defence on 12:29 - Feb 22 by ArnieM

We don't deal with Teams that transition from defence to attack quickly because we are slow in midfield and defence.

We don't ( and rarely have) defended balls coming into our box . Certain individuals cant header a ball, and lack physical presence to dominate their opponent in the box.

We are poor at covering for our LB and especially RB when they go forward. We have conceded most of our goals down our right side .

Based on your description, it's a miracle we aren't about to get relegated.

Our away defence compared to home defence on 12:41 - Feb 22 with 1828 viewspointofblue

I wouldn't actually say we're slow in defence. More often than not defenders are present but seems caught in two minds whether to just clear the ball or try and win it back to recycle. The indecision then allows attacking players to take advantage of the situation. I think the relative youth of our backline doesn't help there - only Burgess is over 25. And, as I've said before, I do think we lack a leader back there. Four good individuals but no one to grab hold of the rest and create a very strong unit.

I do agree with the lack cover when the full backs attack and the slow midfield.

Our away defence compared to home defence on 12:45 - Feb 22 with 1801 viewsHerbivore

Our away defence compared to home defence on 12:37 - Feb 22 by pointofblue

I suppose, in your first paragraph, you're answering what I asked on the OP. I didn't think we were more open at home than away, but perhaps we are? That, and teams seem to be very clinical in taking their chances down here for some reason.

Our xGA is actually higher away from home (1.22) than it is at home (1.10) which kind of reflects both that sides are more clinical than you would normally expect when they come to PR and that away from home you generally defend more than yoy do at home and you attack less. Our xGF at home is 1.82 whereas away it's 1.38, so teams attack us more away meaning we have to be a bit more defensive, and we don't attack to ths same extent and leave ourselves open as sometimes happens at home.

Our away defence compared to home defence on 13:01 - Feb 22 with 1740 viewssmithy69

We should be relegation material if your description was right

Ultimately we will concede more at home due to how we play

I reckon you would love Mick McCarthy back :)
Our away defence compared to home defence on 13:26 - Feb 22 with 1678 viewsRIPbobby

Our away defence compared to home defence on 09:42 - Feb 22 by iamipswich

I'm afraid to say, respectfully, that is nonsense.

Refs do not have such an agenda. Some are just terrible.

Of course you are correct, I just seems like every game at Portman Road this season, the refs seem to have tried to make a game of it. Due to the number it seems weird to call it a coincidence and hence my outrageous statement. Hopefully by the end of the season I can say at least 1 of the refs played it fair. Thusfar it's not the case.
Our away defence compared to home defence on 14:59 - Feb 22 with 1521 viewsIllinoisblue

“Rarely defend balls coming into our box”. Ah, so that’s why we lose 0-6 every week and are going down. Deary me.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024