Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Shamima Begum loses appeal 10:32 - Feb 23 with 5150 viewsblueasfook

I guess the appeal judges didn't buy the "child trafficking" defence

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Shamima Begum loses appeal on 10:36 - Feb 23 with 3578 viewsRoggydem

Can't believe this is still going on.

Glad she lost the appeal though
Shamima Begum loses appeal on 10:36 - Feb 23 with 3589 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

It doesn’t make us safer - quite the opposite, she’s free to conspire with her terrorist friends. She should have been brought back to the UK, trialed, and jailed here.

That and more international law broken, and we continue down the road of a banana republic.
Shamima Begum loses appeal on 11:00 - Feb 23 with 3512 viewsRoggydem

Shamima Begum loses appeal on 10:36 - Feb 23 by SuperKieranMcKenna

It doesn’t make us safer - quite the opposite, she’s free to conspire with her terrorist friends. She should have been brought back to the UK, trialed, and jailed here.

That and more international law broken, and we continue down the road of a banana republic.

Being in jail here puts her with far more terrorist friends, and in the UK to boot.
Shamima Begum loses appeal on 11:13 - Feb 23 with 3456 viewsBlueRaider

Shamima Begum loses appeal on 10:36 - Feb 23 by Roggydem

Can't believe this is still going on.

Glad she lost the appeal though

Just crazy how many court hearings it can take to resolve things

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

Shamima Begum loses appeal on 11:14 - Feb 23 with 3447 viewsJ2BLUE

Shamima Begum loses appeal on 11:13 - Feb 23 by BlueRaider

Just crazy how many court hearings it can take to resolve things

She's going to appeal again

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Shamima Begum loses appeal on 11:28 - Feb 23 with 3396 viewsblueasfook

If international law had been broken then surely her appeal would have been successful? I assume you are referring to the argument that removing her citizenship has left her stateless? As I understand it, her appeal wasn't argued on those grounds anyway but that she had been a victim of child trafficking

Shamima Begum loses appeal on 11:33 - Feb 23 with 3348 viewsblueasfook

Shamima Begum loses appeal on 11:14 - Feb 23 by J2BLUE

You mean Do Gooder quasi lawyer organisations like Repreive will convince her to appeal again.
[Post edited 23 Feb 11:34]

Shamima Begum loses appeal on 11:35 - Feb 23 with 3316 views_clive_baker_

Shamima Begum loses appeal on 11:14 - Feb 23 by J2BLUE

Maybe its become a matter of principle to her, but quite honestly I don't know what sort of life she thinks she can expect if she stayed in the UK. As an outsider I would say its a result that's best for all parties TBH.
Login to get fewer ads

Shamima Begum loses appeal on 11:54 - Feb 23 with 3237 viewsJ2BLUE

Shamima Begum loses appeal on 11:35 - Feb 23 by _clive_baker_

Maybe its become a matter of principle to her, but quite honestly I don't know what sort of life she thinks she can expect if she stayed in the UK. As an outsider I would say its a result that's best for all parties TBH.

I think she would have had a far better chance if she hadn't done those first interviews where she seemed completely remorseless. I know she was young and naïve but I think that sealed her fate. I doubt anyone is convinced by the one picture of her they keep putting out dressed like a stereotypical teenager in the UK.

It wouldn't surprise me if it's dropped and she is allowed to return very soon after the election.

Truly impaired.

Shamima Begum loses appeal on 11:56 - Feb 23 with 3228 viewsitfcjoe

Shamima Begum loses appeal on 11:54 - Feb 23 by J2BLUE

I think she would have had a far better chance if she hadn't done those first interviews where she seemed completely remorseless. I know she was young and naïve but I think that sealed her fate. I doubt anyone is convinced by the one picture of her they keep putting out dressed like a stereotypical teenager in the UK.

It wouldn't surprise me if it's dropped and she is allowed to return very soon after the election.

Anyone who has spent time with her as a journo, still comes away thinking that they can't be sure of her story, too many inconsistencies etc - I think the courts are totally right here.

It's a waste of a life, but don't really see what the other options are for the HO

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Shamima Begum loses appeal on 12:01 - Feb 23 with 3175 viewsJ2BLUE

Shamima Begum loses appeal on 11:56 - Feb 23 by itfcjoe

Anyone who has spent time with her as a journo, still comes away thinking that they can't be sure of her story, too many inconsistencies etc - I think the courts are totally right here.

It's a waste of a life, but don't really see what the other options are for the HO

If it's legal, which I assume it must be, then I reluctantly agree. I don't think many in the country would be happy if she was taken back and was living close to them.

Truly impaired.

Shamima Begum loses appeal on 12:38 - Feb 23 with 3068 viewsGuthrum

Shamima Begum loses appeal on 12:01 - Feb 23 by J2BLUE

If it's legal, which I assume it must be, then I reluctantly agree. I don't think many in the country would be happy if she was taken back and was living close to them.

What's really needed is some sort of programme, similar to denazification during the occupation of Germany after the end of World War II. Rehabilitate these people, rather than just dumping them in camps. It did seem to do the job, the modern far-right stuff mainly emerging from the old East Germany, where no such scheme had taken place.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Shamima Begum loses appeal on 13:59 - Feb 23 with 2936 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Haven’t followed the case too closely so unsure on intricacies but if she’s a British passport holder I’m not even sure what this is all about, not like deporting someone with leave to remain. Just jail her and throw away the key if the offenses warrant such.
[Post edited 23 Feb 14:03]
Shamima Begum loses appeal on 14:06 - Feb 23 with 2889 viewsBlueschev

Shamima Begum loses appeal on 12:38 - Feb 23 by Guthrum

What's really needed is some sort of programme, similar to denazification during the occupation of Germany after the end of World War II. Rehabilitate these people, rather than just dumping them in camps. It did seem to do the job, the modern far-right stuff mainly emerging from the old East Germany, where no such scheme had taken place.

I was always of the understanding that denazification was considerably more stringent in the east?
Shamima Begum loses appeal on 14:12 - Feb 23 with 2836 viewsGuthrum

Shamima Begum loses appeal on 14:06 - Feb 23 by Blueschev

I was always of the understanding that denazification was considerably more stringent in the east?

I thought it was more "pro-communisation" in the Soviet area. With them being most interested in imposing control and srtipping assets to be taken back to Russia.

Shamima Begum loses appeal on 14:17 - Feb 23 with 2800 viewsblueasfook

Shamima Begum loses appeal on 14:12 - Feb 23 by Guthrum

I thought it was more "pro-communisation" in the Soviet area. With them being most interested in imposing control and srtipping assets to be taken back to Russia.

Berlin had been bombed the crap out of by the end of the war. Not sure what assets they would have had left to strip. Unless the Russians had a dire need for rubble!

Shamima Begum loses appeal on 14:41 - Feb 23 with 2719 viewsGuthrum

Shamima Begum loses appeal on 14:17 - Feb 23 by blueasfook

Berlin had been bombed the crap out of by the end of the war. Not sure what assets they would have had left to strip. Unless the Russians had a dire need for rubble!

More industrial Silesia, which had deliberately been spared by the Soviets and was pretty much out of bombing range from Britain.

Shamima Begum loses appeal on 14:55 - Feb 23 with 2663 viewsacj

Behave! We don’t get nearly enough sun to grow bananas.

We’d be more of an onion republic.

Poll: Will Town score again this season?

Shamima Begum loses appeal on 15:29 - Feb 23 with 2592 viewsDJR

According to the following article from 2019, "an estimated 300 to 400 Britons who were recruited by Isis and went out to Syria and Iraq have already returned to the UK."

https://www.ft.com/content/b8aab6ba-3c18-11e9-b72b-2c7f526ca5d0

It make one wonder why Begum is being treated in the way she is, especially as she went out there as a child, and not so far as I am aware to fight. Maybe her high profile and public opinion are the determining factors.

Also interesting to note, according to the New Statesman, that there are 6 million people in the UK (largely all non-white) who could (because of another citizenship or potential citizenship) potentially be deprived of their citizenship on the grounds that it is "conducive to the public good".

With increasingly xenophobic rhetoric from people like Braverman, who knows how such words might be interpreted or extended in the future? But maybe one current example, "glorification of terrorism", will be applied en masse to the "mobs" marching to oppose things like the war in Gaza in order to deprive many of their citizenship. Thankfully, there is the UN Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness hovering in the background, but things like that don't seem to have stopped the Tories in recent years.

EDIT: The conducive to the public good test came about in 2006 under Blair.

FURTHER EDIT: Depriving Irish citizens of the British citizenship would presumably have no effect given Irish citizens have similar rights to live and work in the UK, so would presumably not be used were the Troubles still in existence.
[Post edited 23 Feb 15:55]
Shamima Begum loses appeal on 23:36 - Feb 23 with 2289 viewsreusersfreekicks

She is a British national isn't she?
Why should any other country have to take?
Would we do the same in reverse? Of course not. If she is a criminal charge her
Shamima Begum loses appeal on 23:55 - Feb 23 with 2263 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

A poster in their comfort zone...lovely to see.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Shamima Begum loses appeal on 23:58 - Feb 23 with 2252 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

What do you think she might do?
I might have a spare room if she wants it!
FFS the state of people.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Shamima Begum loses appeal on 04:06 - Feb 24 with 2108 viewsZapers

Shamima Begum loses appeal on 23:58 - Feb 23 by BanksterDebtSlave

FFS the state of people.

Be careful Bankster, people might be forming an opinion of who, and where your sympathies lie.
Shamima Begum loses appeal on 05:06 - Feb 24 with 2088 viewstcblue

She's our problem, ultimately.

Regardless of what you personally might think is right, she is our responsibility and should have been processed back here and dealt with.

If nothing else, we missed a chance to understand how the online grooming network functions better (while holding her securely).

These actions do nothing for national security either - it fuels those who recruit with yet more firepower when talking to our kids "look how your country will turn its back on you"

I spent a scant few months working on Prevent at the HO - I had to leave as I wasn't strong enough emotionally to deal with what I saw. Never underestimate these monsters
Shamima Begum loses appeal on 08:24 - Feb 24 with 1944 viewsblueasfook

Shamima Begum loses appeal on 23:58 - Feb 23 by BanksterDebtSlave

FFS the state of people.

State of you, you mean. Like you'd give a spare room to a returning member of ISIS from Syria. You do talk a lot of bollix pal.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024