Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Car insurance 22:39 - Mar 13 with 1666 viewsstrikalite

Best quote I can get is still up 30% on last year, so got me thinking, why can't an insurance company start up offering insurance to everyone with a 25 years no claims bonus in tact(10 years if you want)...premiums would therefore be cheap and if you were to have an accident then you'll be out of the "club " the following year..

Car insurance on 22:54 - Mar 13 with 1608 viewsredrickstuhaart

Its staggering that they are going up as they are, having benefited from the governments new whiplash claims tariffs which have slashed the payouts for typical neck injuries.
Car insurance on 22:56 - Mar 13 with 1601 viewsTractorWood

I know. Aviva gave me a great quote. Maybe try them.

I appreciate the Norwich connection but £110 is far too many pints to ignore.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Car insurance on 22:58 - Mar 13 with 1596 viewsZx1988

Better still, how about a progressive government that acknowledges the ludicrisy of a mandatory product being subject to market forces and shareholder profit etc.,

There should be a government-backed/state-run 'insurer of last resort' (maybe the wrong use of the term) that can offer legal minimum levels of SDPC (and business?) cover at cost, in order to try and break the monopoly that insurers seem to currently have.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Car insurance on 23:11 - Mar 13 with 1585 viewsDeano69

One of the companies cars was 52% more this years renewal. On challenging it by calling the guy on the phone said that all insurance was increased by 8%. Err ok, why is ours 52%? Not sure. Did the usual comparisons etc and had to go with their final offer of 42% increase. Some on the comparison site were treble, most double, only one cheaper by £11. Utter pi55 take.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Car insurance on 23:44 - Mar 13 with 1553 viewsSwansea_Blue

Loads are people are saying this, but I got a c. 15% reduction on my last renewal a couple of weeks ago (had to move insurers though). Maybe you’re all crap drivers . Or maybe I’m a boring old fart with no claims in the last 20+ years.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Car insurance on 00:17 - Mar 14 with 1490 viewsmutters

I've seen this all across the media but I renewed mine two weeks ago and it was 10% cheaper. I did have to haggle as the original quote was up 20 % but after a 5 min phone call it was cheaper than last year.

Maybe it's down to certain types of car? I was definitely worried beforehand

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

Car insurance on 08:12 - Mar 14 with 1232 viewsPendejo

Managed to get mine down by over 10% by shopping around 22 days before renewal.

It's been many years now since I stayed with same insurer.

20 years+ NC
inner London
Street parked
Commuting at peak hours
13k miles a year
No points but still some SP30 in last 5 years

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Car insurance on 08:37 - Mar 14 with 1204 viewsBrentwoodBlagger2

Katie Price doesn't bother and only gets fined £800 on the rare times that she gets caught, which is cheaper than her premium as she has previously been disqualified from driving 4 or 5 times. Many people in London now have 'pool cars' where one driver insures it and numerous people drive it so ANPR cameras do not identify the car as being uninsured and driving licences are being shared in the unlikely event that the drivers are stopped by Police. Meanwhile, law abiding people.........
Login to get fewer ads

Car insurance on 08:37 - Mar 14 with 1201 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Car insurance on 23:44 - Mar 13 by Swansea_Blue

Loads are people are saying this, but I got a c. 15% reduction on my last renewal a couple of weeks ago (had to move insurers though). Maybe you’re all crap drivers . Or maybe I’m a boring old fart with no claims in the last 20+ years.

I'm the same, don't quite understand all these horror stories about car insurance. By using the comparison sites and then moving, mine was virtually the same.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Car insurance on 08:38 - Mar 14 with 1196 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Car insurance on 23:11 - Mar 13 by Deano69

One of the companies cars was 52% more this years renewal. On challenging it by calling the guy on the phone said that all insurance was increased by 8%. Err ok, why is ours 52%? Not sure. Did the usual comparisons etc and had to go with their final offer of 42% increase. Some on the comparison site were treble, most double, only one cheaper by £11. Utter pi55 take.

Am I missing something? Why did you go with a 42% increase when there was one cheaper by £11?

Car insurance on 08:55 - Mar 14 with 1171 viewsDeano69

Car insurance on 08:38 - Mar 14 by The_Flashing_Smile

Am I missing something? Why did you go with a 42% increase when there was one cheaper by £11?

Because of the hassle factor of changing all the details. It was £1198 instead of £1187, wasnt worth the hour in the phone going through it.

BTW this is for a 43 year old driver with 25 years driving without claim, in a tesla that started at £500 or so 2 years ago

Car insurance on 09:07 - Mar 14 with 1142 viewssoupytwist

Car insurance on 08:55 - Mar 14 by Deano69

Because of the hassle factor of changing all the details. It was £1198 instead of £1187, wasnt worth the hour in the phone going through it.

BTW this is for a 43 year old driver with 25 years driving without claim, in a tesla that started at £500 or so 2 years ago

I think that insurance costs as they currently stand are going to be a big barrier to EV adoption - that is a ridiculous cost.

Why are EVs (or at least Teslas) so expensive to insure? They presumably contain far more valuable components such as the battery that can be recouped in the event of a total loss.
Car insurance on 09:12 - Mar 14 with 1131 viewsHelp

Your answer there is the Tesla. That is the reason for the high premiums
Few insurers want to touch them hence the very limited market.
Car insurance on 09:34 - Mar 14 with 1089 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I thought you meant £11 cheaper than last year's, not £11 cheaper than the 42% increase!

Car insurance on 09:47 - Mar 14 with 1035 viewsSwansea_Blue

Ouch!

Car insurance on 09:49 - Mar 14 with 1023 viewsHelp

Car insurance on 09:07 - Mar 14 by soupytwist

I think that insurance costs as they currently stand are going to be a big barrier to EV adoption - that is a ridiculous cost.

Why are EVs (or at least Teslas) so expensive to insure? They presumably contain far more valuable components such as the battery that can be recouped in the event of a total loss.

EVs are more expensive because they cannot be repaired as easily as combustion engined cars. Also most evs are suv and similar all bigger parts all cost more to replace. Also not as many on the roads as you think for spares.
Car insurance on 09:56 - Mar 14 with 1009 viewsSwansea_Blue

Car insurance on 09:49 - Mar 14 by Help

EVs are more expensive because they cannot be repaired as easily as combustion engined cars. Also most evs are suv and similar all bigger parts all cost more to replace. Also not as many on the roads as you think for spares.

They also go like s*t off a shovel. Just the standard Model 3 has 0-60 times of 4.2-5.8 secs. The S variant is 1.9 secs! Even the small hatches like the Peugeot 208 do 0-60 in about 8 secs, which is in cheap small sports car territory like an MX5.

Car insurance on 10:25 - Mar 14 with 957 viewsElephantintheRoom

The risk of being hit by an electric car and dying in the subsequent inferno is going up every year. As is the cost of repairs.

I find it difficult to fathom why insurers choose to rip off existing customers with no claims in preference for new customers. But it has been the industry model for decades.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Car insurance on 11:27 - Mar 14 with 870 viewsChurchman

I’ve heard but don’t know whether it’s just propaganda that the issue with EVs are more expensive parts and complexity, they have to be written off with damage that a petrol/diesel car could be repaired with, limited numbers of people to fix them. Recovery services don’t want to touch them and they’re more prone to fires.

Costs for repairing all cars has rocketed - inflation, additional costs through things like Brexit, uninsured drivers, roads falling apart. But the biggest element I think is profiteering. Under the cover of this country’s shambles, everybody wants a piece of the pie. And why not? They are there to make a profit.

What surprises me is how much insurance costs vary. My buddy’s Mondeo insurance was up 50% this year - the cheapest he could find. Mrs Cs Yaris? 10% and I thought that was taking the mickey.
Car insurance on 12:50 - Mar 14 with 770 viewsstrikalite

Car insurance on 22:56 - Mar 13 by TractorWood

I know. Aviva gave me a great quote. Maybe try them.

I appreciate the Norwich connection but £110 is far too many pints to ignore.

Tried them all mate, my renewal beats everything and that's over a hundred quid more than last year, same details nothing has changed, over 25 years NCB, I only cover 5k miles a year too as walk to work..

Come and join my club people, but one strike and sorry but you'll be out!
Car insurance on 13:11 - Mar 14 with 747 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

It’s because by and large motor insurers are losing money:-

https://www.ey.com/en_uk/news/2023/06/ey-uk-motor-insurance-results-analysis

I have a 40k car insured for about £400 quid - if I write that off (and any others I hit) that’s going to take many years of premiums to pay back the claim - and that’s before any liability. In the instance of the proposed club - kicking out anyone who’s made a claim is literally the worst thing you can do as the other members will then be paying it back on their behalf.
Car insurance on 13:18 - Mar 14 with 708 viewschicoazul

Car insurance on 22:58 - Mar 13 by Zx1988

Better still, how about a progressive government that acknowledges the ludicrisy of a mandatory product being subject to market forces and shareholder profit etc.,

There should be a government-backed/state-run 'insurer of last resort' (maybe the wrong use of the term) that can offer legal minimum levels of SDPC (and business?) cover at cost, in order to try and break the monopoly that insurers seem to currently have.

That’s replacing a commercial monopoly with a state monopoly.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Car insurance on 13:28 - Mar 14 with 690 viewsChurchman

Car insurance on 13:11 - Mar 14 by SuperKieranMcKenna

It’s because by and large motor insurers are losing money:-

https://www.ey.com/en_uk/news/2023/06/ey-uk-motor-insurance-results-analysis

I have a 40k car insured for about £400 quid - if I write that off (and any others I hit) that’s going to take many years of premiums to pay back the claim - and that’s before any liability. In the instance of the proposed club - kicking out anyone who’s made a claim is literally the worst thing you can do as the other members will then be paying it back on their behalf.

Interesting article. Thanks for that.
Car insurance on 14:28 - Mar 14 with 629 viewsDeano69

Car insurance on 09:47 - Mar 14 by Swansea_Blue

Ouch!

Works out at about 25p a mile based on last years mileage.

Car insurance on 15:08 - Mar 14 with 576 viewssoupytwist

Not sure that stands up - most cars are SUVs whether they're electric or not. Given the popularity of Teslas (only one of whose range is an actual SUV I think) and the fact that Leafs and Zoes have been around for years I don't think that the % of EVs that are also SUVs is massively different to ICE cars sold in the last 5 years.

And how many insurance repairs are done with secondhand parts - assuming that's what you mean by "not as many on the roads as you think for spares."

And the fires thing is overplayed.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024