Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Well done Paul Cook! 17:31 - Mar 23 with 7982 viewsChrisd

Chesterfield back in the EFL after 6 seasons. I still believe he started the change at our club, he had to make those tough decisions to start our climb upwards. Look at the players he brought in, some of those players still having an impact at the top of the Championship.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Well done Paul Cook! on 17:36 - Mar 23 with 4061 viewsSitfcB

He ran so McKenna could walk.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Well done Paul Cook! on 17:37 - Mar 23 with 4061 viewsstringy

The 6-0 thrashing of Doncaster was one of the most enjoyable games of that season, but we were just so inconsistent under him
Well done Paul Cook! on 17:43 - Mar 23 with 4007 viewsHerbivore

Well done Paul Cook! on 17:36 - Mar 23 by SitfcB

He ran so McKenna could walk.

More like he stumbled and fell on his arse and McKenna then came in and immediately started a brisk jog.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Well done Paul Cook! on 17:43 - Mar 23 with 4008 viewsWoolfenthen

Is our Kieron still there with him?

Clements and Dobra also
Well done Paul Cook! on 17:46 - Mar 23 with 3987 viewsSitfcB

Well done Paul Cook! on 17:43 - Mar 23 by Herbivore

More like he stumbled and fell on his arse and McKenna then came in and immediately started a brisk jog.

Right man, wrong time, sorted a few bits of housekeeping for us and signed a few of the players that are doing it for us right now - Chaplin and Morsy may not have ever come here if it wasn’t for him.

COYB

Well done Paul Cook! on 17:46 - Mar 23 with 3981 viewsSitfcB

Well done Paul Cook! on 17:43 - Mar 23 by Woolfenthen

Is our Kieron still there with him?

Clements and Dobra also

Congrats to Paul Cook, Dobra and Clements by ArnieM 23 Mar 16:40
Yeaaaa! So pleased for them and especially Paul Cook.

Dyer is not there regularly yet due to recovery from his op. But he’s hoping to get back into the swing of things next season.

COYB

Well done Paul Cook! on 17:49 - Mar 23 with 3945 viewsChrisd

Well done Paul Cook! on 17:46 - Mar 23 by SitfcB

Right man, wrong time, sorted a few bits of housekeeping for us and signed a few of the players that are doing it for us right now - Chaplin and Morsy may not have ever come here if it wasn’t for him.

Throw Walton into the mix and Edmundson too.

Well done Paul Cook! on 17:52 - Mar 23 with 3911 viewsHerbivore

The signings we made and the squad rebuild were mainly down to lots of players being out of contract and Gamechanger investing heavily post-takeover. Whether Morsy and Chaplin would have come or not we will never know, both felt unwanted by their clubs and we offered them decent contracts so them signing wasn't just down to Cook. He couldn't really get a tune out of them, or indeed out of anyone from the two squads he managed here. His record here on the pitch is up there with our very worst ever managers and he only managed us in the third tier. I struggle to understand the love for a manager who did a really poor job here.

Login to get fewer ads

Well done Paul Cook! on 17:54 - Mar 23 with 3896 viewsHerbivore

Well done Paul Cook! on 17:49 - Mar 23 by Chrisd

Throw Walton into the mix and Edmundson too.

Edmundson is behind two players who would have been out of the door if Cook had stayed any longer. Walton signed permanently under McKenna. Cook gets way more credit than he deserves, he's one of the worst managers we've had here.

Well done Paul Cook! on 17:58 - Mar 23 with 3872 viewsChrisd

Well done Paul Cook! on 17:54 - Mar 23 by Herbivore

Edmundson is behind two players who would have been out of the door if Cook had stayed any longer. Walton signed permanently under McKenna. Cook gets way more credit than he deserves, he's one of the worst managers we've had here.

I know you can start an argument in an empty room, but give him some credit, the fact is both those players were brought in by Cook and made a big difference to us especially once KM got us going. From a managerial point of view, it didn’t work out for PC here, but I’m pleased he made those tough decisions at the time because we had too much deadwood at our club during those dark days.

Well done Paul Cook! on 18:02 - Mar 23 with 3835 viewsAlanG296

Well done Paul Cook! on 17:52 - Mar 23 by Herbivore

The signings we made and the squad rebuild were mainly down to lots of players being out of contract and Gamechanger investing heavily post-takeover. Whether Morsy and Chaplin would have come or not we will never know, both felt unwanted by their clubs and we offered them decent contracts so them signing wasn't just down to Cook. He couldn't really get a tune out of them, or indeed out of anyone from the two squads he managed here. His record here on the pitch is up there with our very worst ever managers and he only managed us in the third tier. I struggle to understand the love for a manager who did a really poor job here.

Cook was only ever a stopgap until Ashton and O'Leary were ready to make the radical changes to the coaching structure and philosophy. He did what was essential
by clearing out the false idols and other remnants of Evans's era of mediocrity for which we should be eternally grateful.
Well done Paul Cook! on 18:06 - Mar 23 with 3806 viewsHerbivore

Well done Paul Cook! on 17:58 - Mar 23 by Chrisd

I know you can start an argument in an empty room, but give him some credit, the fact is both those players were brought in by Cook and made a big difference to us especially once KM got us going. From a managerial point of view, it didn’t work out for PC here, but I’m pleased he made those tough decisions at the time because we had too much deadwood at our club during those dark days.

I give him no credit, in the same way I give no credit to the likes of Lambert, Hurst, Jewell or Keane. That's the kind of company he's in when appraising his time as our manager.

Well done Paul Cook! on 18:08 - Mar 23 with 3796 viewsNutkins_Return

That's ridiculous. Cook is quite clearly a good manager. One look at his career successes tells you that. To get a completely brand new team playing well and consistently is a very very difficult task.

What we needed for our ambition and trajectory was a special manager. Cook isn't that. McKenna is. Absolutely no need to slate Cook. I wish him well and am delighted he's got Chesterfield up and with a lot of Ipswich connections in the staff and players. (Absolutely fine at the same time for people not to care one bit).
Well done Paul Cook! on 18:12 - Mar 23 with 3772 viewsHerbivore

Well done Paul Cook! on 18:08 - Mar 23 by Nutkins_Return

That's ridiculous. Cook is quite clearly a good manager. One look at his career successes tells you that. To get a completely brand new team playing well and consistently is a very very difficult task.

What we needed for our ambition and trajectory was a special manager. Cook isn't that. McKenna is. Absolutely no need to slate Cook. I wish him well and am delighted he's got Chesterfield up and with a lot of Ipswich connections in the staff and players. (Absolutely fine at the same time for people not to care one bit).

I'm not fussed about what he's done elsewhere to be honest, I'm an Ipswich fan and he's up there amongst our worst ever managers. He did worse than Lambert when he first came in and then couldn't get a tune out of a group of players he was heavily backed to bring in. I really don't get the love ins that appear on here periodically for Cook, he was so poor at Town.

Well done Paul Cook! on 18:51 - Mar 23 with 3675 viewsBluebert

Well done Paul Cook! on 17:43 - Mar 23 by Herbivore

I sometimes wonder whether he was always a stopgap, he knew it, the club knew it. Come in, shake it up and go, we’ll pay you handsomely for it.
Well done Paul Cook! on 18:55 - Mar 23 with 3628 viewsHerbivore

Well done Paul Cook! on 18:51 - Mar 23 by Bluebert

I sometimes wonder whether he was always a stopgap, he knew it, the club knew it. Come in, shake it up and go, we’ll pay you handsomely for it.

No, he just wasn't good enough. If he'd done a better job and had us competing in and around the top 6 he wouldn't have got sacked.

Well done Paul Cook! on 19:04 - Mar 23 with 3556 viewsDarkHorse

Definitely more his level.

Good luck to him, but he was f'n dreadful for us and would be held in far lower regard if Evans had stuck around - whether he'd have kept him on or replaced him with another useless berk, I've little doubt that all those amazing signings would have floundered if Gamechanger hadn't stepped in.
Well done Paul Cook! on 19:06 - Mar 23 with 3531 viewsFrimleyBlue

Cook did bring in Burgess tho. The nsiala over wolfy was crazy Tho and unforgiveable.

However. When you compare or list managers cook falls into the jewell pot. Tried but failed.

Same as hirst. Who shouldn't have ever got the job.

Lambert goes into the pot with Keane. Wrong manager and fked the club for years to follow.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Well done Paul Cook! on 21:06 - Mar 23 with 3339 viewsPioneerBlue

I’m not buying it that Paul Cook was a bad manager for the reasons mentioned above but it’s clear his time won’t be remembered as being successful. I don’t know for sure but my guess is he expected to entice Leam R and he would have had the coaching capability needed, once that didn’t happen writing was on the wall, there wasn’t the coaching competency to bring that squad together quickly and turn it into the required results.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Well done Paul Cook! on 21:07 - Mar 23 with 3336 viewsPhilTWTD

Congrats to Paul Cook, Dobra and Clements by ArnieM 23 Mar 16:40
Yeaaaa! So pleased for them and especially Paul Cook.

Dyer is not there regularly yet due to recovery from his op. But he’s hoping to get back into the swing of things next season.

He's been back wrking for months.

Ex-Blues Win National League Title With Chesterfield 23rd Mar 2024 21:04
Chesterfield, managed by former Blues boss Paul Cook with Kieron Dyer on his staff and Armando Dobra a key member of the squad, secured the National League title and promotion to League Two by beating Boreham Wood 3-0 at the SMH Group Stadium this afternoon. 14

Well done Paul Cook! on 21:39 - Mar 23 with 3251 viewshave_a_word_with_him

Did Cook sleep with your other half or something?
Well done Paul Cook! on 22:13 - Mar 23 with 3196 viewspatrickswell

What damns Cook here is the way that McKenna got that misfiring, inconsistent but talented squad performing more consistently over the second half of the 2021/22 season. Cook’s reasons for starting from scratch are well known and were justified, but you can’t rip everything up, while behaving like Billy Big Balls in interviews and expect to be taken seriously when results go south and you’re reduced to saying that we should be looking to emulate Rotherham United, after they’ve given your team a footballing lesson.

McKenna came in and could have said, I don’t want to work with this lot, I’ll use my contacts to get half the Man Utd youth team in. But he didn’t. He worked with and coached the players he inherited, all while talking openly and informatively about the game, which was such a refreshing contrast to Cook’s “You’ve seen the game, you don’t need me to explain why we’ve lost at Accrington.”

It’s unfortunate that we were Cook’s one failure, they’ll build a statue of him in Chesterfield I’m sure while he also achieved success at Wigan and Portsmouth. He’s a good manager, who like so many of those Evans hired were incapable of achieving even basic competency when leading our club.
Well done Paul Cook! on 22:13 - Mar 23 with 3193 viewsHerbivore

Well done Paul Cook! on 21:39 - Mar 23 by have_a_word_with_him

Did Cook sleep with your other half or something?

No, he just did a bad job of managing the team I support and I don't really understand why anyone has any great affection for him.

Well done Paul Cook! on 22:28 - Mar 23 with 3145 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Well done Paul Cook! on 22:13 - Mar 23 by Herbivore

No, he just did a bad job of managing the team I support and I don't really understand why anyone has any great affection for him.

The answer is probably the players he brought in, which you are bizarrely denying. Absolutely no chance Morsy would've come here, possibly Chappers too, if it weren't for Cook.

He failed because he ripped up too much too quickly and was never going to get enough time to get the new lot to gel. History will show him as a bad manager for us, but it is more nuanced than simply popping him on the 'cr@p' pile.

The fact that we unearthed a football genius directly afterwards has nothing to do with it.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Well done Paul Cook! on 22:30 - Mar 23 with 3132 viewsford6600

Yes glad Chesterfield have made it. Cook obviously out of his depth here but getting success at National League level. A rollercoaster of results when here, not consistent and really needs a good assistant manager to
help him. Wholehearted enthusiasm doesn't win as many games as tactical brilliance.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024