Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southgate on borrowed time? 21:00 - Mar 23 with 6338 viewsbournemouthblue

we are not winning anything with this mentality, it's slow, ponderous and negative

I know Konsa was enforced but his next subs are Gomez (to left back), Dunk and Mainoo

That's not exactly rolling the dice is it?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Southgate on borrowed time? on 21:01 - Mar 23 with 3763 viewsredrickstuhaart

And why Rashford in a friendly? We know what he can do, and that he has been erratic at best for some time. Toney waits for a chance....
Southgate on borrowed time? on 21:04 - Mar 23 with 3728 viewsbournemouthblue

Southgate on borrowed time? on 21:01 - Mar 23 by redrickstuhaart

And why Rashford in a friendly? We know what he can do, and that he has been erratic at best for some time. Toney waits for a chance....

He's a funny manager isn't he?

He is so cautious and negative and clearly has his favourites

Gallagher is the new Phillips

Southgate on borrowed time? on 21:16 - Mar 23 with 3663 viewstextbackup

Southgate on borrowed time? on 21:01 - Mar 23 by redrickstuhaart

The day Toney plays is the day I stop watching England. Absolute weapon of a bloke

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Southgate on borrowed time? on 21:16 - Mar 23 with 3663 viewsblueislander

Southgate on borrowed time? on 21:04 - Mar 23 by bournemouthblue

Her e we go. England lose a match, and the “sack Southgate” brigade appear.
Southgate on borrowed time? on 21:24 - Mar 23 with 3612 viewsRyorry

Southgate on borrowed time? on 21:16 - Mar 23 by blueislander

Guess we've been spoiled by McKenna - our first team look far more like Brazil did tonight - pacey, crisp, accurate passing and always seriously threatening in attack..

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Southgate on borrowed time? on 21:31 - Mar 23 with 3561 viewsbournemouthblue

Southgate on borrowed time? on 21:24 - Mar 23 by Ryorry

Guess we've been spoiled by McKenna - our first team look far more like Brazil did tonight - pacey, crisp, accurate passing and always seriously threatening in attack..

I think it's partly that, he is miles ahead of Southgate tactically

Southgate on borrowed time? on 21:32 - Mar 23 with 3554 viewsbournemouthblue

I've been critical of Southgate for some time, I'm not convinced we will win anything under him

We need a more modern coach who can get the best out of this new crop of players!

Southgate on borrowed time? on 22:07 - Mar 23 with 3450 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

I'll have you know, I wanted Southgate sacked before he was appointed.

Since then his selection "policy" and the way he sets the team up have just strengthened my view.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Login to get fewer ads

Southgate on borrowed time? on 22:09 - Mar 23 with 3445 viewsford6600

Sleepwalking to another tournament failure? Losing to Croatia, Italy, France in three tournaments, a more decisive attacking manager exuding a winners mentality should have won. Choosing form players not sticking with players that lost previous tournaments. England have the best league in the world. We should be on the front foot expecting to win every tournament not pleased to get to a QF or SF or losing a Final. What will the bad luck story be this summer? Maguire own goal and Rashford missed pen, sees England bow out 1 nil?
Gareth proud of the group and they will once again 'learn lessons' and look forward to the next qualifying games.
Gareth will step down and get Knighthood for losing 4 winnable tournaments.
Southgate on borrowed time? on 22:41 - Mar 23 with 3291 viewsbournemouthblue

Southgate on borrowed time? on 22:09 - Mar 23 by ford6600

Sleepwalking to another tournament failure? Losing to Croatia, Italy, France in three tournaments, a more decisive attacking manager exuding a winners mentality should have won. Choosing form players not sticking with players that lost previous tournaments. England have the best league in the world. We should be on the front foot expecting to win every tournament not pleased to get to a QF or SF or losing a Final. What will the bad luck story be this summer? Maguire own goal and Rashford missed pen, sees England bow out 1 nil?
Gareth proud of the group and they will once again 'learn lessons' and look forward to the next qualifying games.

I think you can get away with his approach up to a point but we need to be better going forward to go deeper in tournaments

Southgate often gets found out against the better tactical managers, see Italy in that final for example

Southgate on borrowed time? on 22:42 - Mar 23 with 3289 viewsmuhrensleftfoot

Southgate on borrowed time? on 21:32 - Mar 23 by bournemouthblue

I've been critical of Southgate for some time, I'm not convinced we will win anything under him

We need a more modern coach who can get the best out of this new crop of players!

I’ve always blamed him for losing the Euros final in 2020. His ultra negative tactics remind me of Mick McCarthy. With the attacking talent we have currently, he needs to be far more adventurous. Yes I think he’s on borrowed time but no clear successor if we want an English man as national manager, which I certainly would prefer.
Southgate on borrowed time? on 23:11 - Mar 23 with 3140 viewscressi

Man utd really 😆
Southgate on borrowed time? on 23:13 - Mar 23 with 3118 viewscressi

No I've never rated Southgate far to negative the Croatia and Italy games we clutched defeat from the jaws of victory.
Southgate on borrowed time? on 23:17 - Mar 23 with 3091 viewscressi

Southgate on borrowed time? on 22:09 - Mar 23 by ford6600

100% right tactically inept
Tries to hang on to leads and gives teams the confidence to come back not for me said this for yrs
My mate bet me a tenner England will win the Euros how could I refuse.
Southgate on borrowed time? on 23:34 - Mar 23 with 3041 viewsBigalhunter

I’ve always thought he’s an average and conservative manager, but then, I think international management is an unattractive graveyard best suited to those at end of their managerial careers, or pedestrian plodders who make the right noises to the suits on the selection panel.

You only get the players you want when a tournament starts, which is once every two years. All these international breaks are a farce, half the players pull out with spurious niggles that miraculously disappear once the break is over.

Ancellotti fits the category of managers at the end of their careers who could move into international management, but he didn’t even want the Brazil job, just used it as leverage to extend his stay in Madrid.

When Southgate goes this summer, who is going realistically want him?

Liverpool & probably Man Utd will be in the market for new managers. Their fans would rightly howl blue murder if he was being touted as a replacement. I doubt even West Ham fans would be happy, if he was bought in to replace Moyes. You’re looking at someone like Preston, Hull or Celtic who might take a chance.

I’d be utterly depressed if he was even considered as a replacement for KM, when he eventually moves on.

You’ll get those who come over all misty-eyed because he wore a waistcoat and got us a Euro final and a World Cup semi, but all he did was beat the teams he should have and predictably floundered, once he came up against a coach who sussed out that Southgate thought Plan B was a singer.

With the talent we have had over the last few years he’s actually achieved very little, and it will be the same story at the Euros this summer. The man still picks Harry Maguire and Jordan Henderson. That tells you everything you need to know about him.

As for his replacement, I guess they’ll look at Steve Cooper or Eddie Howe if it has to be an Englishman.
[Post edited 23 Mar 23:50]
Southgate on borrowed time? on 00:16 - Mar 24 with 2944 viewsbournemouthblue

Southgate on borrowed time? on 22:42 - Mar 23 by muhrensleftfoot

I’ve always blamed him for losing the Euros final in 2020. His ultra negative tactics remind me of Mick McCarthy. With the attacking talent we have currently, he needs to be far more adventurous. Yes I think he’s on borrowed time but no clear successor if we want an English man as national manager, which I certainly would prefer.

Eddie Howe is the one the FA wanted or were certainly playing with the idea before Southgate got involved

If Newcastle dispense with him, he'll be in pole position again

Southgate on borrowed time? on 07:22 - Mar 24 with 2700 viewsmikeybloo88

Southgate on borrowed time? on 23:34 - Mar 23 by Bigalhunter

I’ve always thought he’s an average and conservative manager, but then, I think international management is an unattractive graveyard best suited to those at end of their managerial careers, or pedestrian plodders who make the right noises to the suits on the selection panel.

You only get the players you want when a tournament starts, which is once every two years. All these international breaks are a farce, half the players pull out with spurious niggles that miraculously disappear once the break is over.

Ancellotti fits the category of managers at the end of their careers who could move into international management, but he didn’t even want the Brazil job, just used it as leverage to extend his stay in Madrid.

When Southgate goes this summer, who is going realistically want him?

Liverpool & probably Man Utd will be in the market for new managers. Their fans would rightly howl blue murder if he was being touted as a replacement. I doubt even West Ham fans would be happy, if he was bought in to replace Moyes. You’re looking at someone like Preston, Hull or Celtic who might take a chance.

I’d be utterly depressed if he was even considered as a replacement for KM, when he eventually moves on.

You’ll get those who come over all misty-eyed because he wore a waistcoat and got us a Euro final and a World Cup semi, but all he did was beat the teams he should have and predictably floundered, once he came up against a coach who sussed out that Southgate thought Plan B was a singer.

With the talent we have had over the last few years he’s actually achieved very little, and it will be the same story at the Euros this summer. The man still picks Harry Maguire and Jordan Henderson. That tells you everything you need to know about him.

As for his replacement, I guess they’ll look at Steve Cooper or Eddie Howe if it has to be an Englishman.
[Post edited 23 Mar 23:50]

Very good post Bigal, nails it... your final sentence is a bit ambiguous though and reads like you think Cooper is English which I’m sure you know he isn’t...or did you mean Potter or Howe if they want an Englishman?
[Post edited 24 Mar 7:23]
Southgate on borrowed time? on 08:11 - Mar 24 with 2611 viewsitfcjoe

How much more dice rolling do you want? It’s a friendly without your talismanic striker and your best other attacker which he’s got to use to try and answer some questions about who fills the squad for the Euros. The wrong time of season for a game as clubs pulling players out left right and centre.

3rd in the world v 4th in the world. Southgate has turned England into one of the consistent best sides in the world over the last 5 years from the relative shambles it had been in the decade before it

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Southgate on borrowed time? on 08:17 - Mar 24 with 2590 viewsN2_Blue

Southgate on borrowed time? on 21:04 - Mar 23 by bournemouthblue

I don’t think he’s a very good manager at all. Struck lucky and has a tremendous talent pool. any half decent manager would have achieved what he has but probably more with the opportunities we’ve had.

He makes some exciting forward players look sterile, slow and ponderous. Deeply frustrating.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Southgate on borrowed time? on 08:22 - Mar 24 with 2570 viewsibbleobble

I’ll imagine he’ll win the Euros and then move into club management and not fair too well. Then the debate will roll on forever more.
Southgate on borrowed time? on 08:51 - Mar 24 with 2499 viewsbluejacko

Not really the case is it ? Let’s face it IF Brazil had their shooting boots on that could have been at least 4-0! Under Southgate we are so slow and predictable.
Southgate on borrowed time? on 08:56 - Mar 24 with 2479 viewsbluejacko

Southgate on borrowed time? on 08:11 - Mar 24 by itfcjoe

How much more dice rolling do you want? It’s a friendly without your talismanic striker and your best other attacker which he’s got to use to try and answer some questions about who fills the squad for the Euros. The wrong time of season for a game as clubs pulling players out left right and centre.

3rd in the world v 4th in the world. Southgate has turned England into one of the consistent best sides in the world over the last 5 years from the relative shambles it had been in the decade before it

Ok and exactly what have we got to show for it? When the chips are down he is almost always outthought tactics wise! As has been said he shuts up shop and hope we get away with it which in the big games hasn’t worked yet!
Southgate on borrowed time? on 09:02 - Mar 24 with 2451 viewsitfcjoe

Southgate on borrowed time? on 08:56 - Mar 24 by bluejacko

Ok and exactly what have we got to show for it? When the chips are down he is almost always outthought tactics wise! As has been said he shuts up shop and hope we get away with it which in the big games hasn’t worked yet!

A World Cup semi, a European Championship final and Nations League title whilst being ranked in the top 5 for as long as we ever have been.

More knockout wins than any other manager, by far, more knockout wins on his own than basically all managers since Sir Alf combined so it has worked in the ‘big games’

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Southgate on borrowed time? on 09:12 - Mar 24 with 2412 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Southgate on borrowed time? on 08:56 - Mar 24 by bluejacko

It's as though some people weren't alive during the Ron Greenwood, Graham Taylor or Steve McLaren years.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Southgate on borrowed time? on 09:18 - Mar 24 with 2376 viewsbluejacko

Southgate on borrowed time? on 09:02 - Mar 24 by itfcjoe

A World Cup semi, a European Championship final and Nations League title whilst being ranked in the top 5 for as long as we ever have been.

More knockout wins than any other manager, by far, more knockout wins on his own than basically all managers since Sir Alf combined so it has worked in the ‘big games’

And what have we WON apart from one comp? If we we are good enough to be in the top 5 you would have thought we could have actually achieved a lot more. How many tournaments have those other top 5 teams won in the time Southgate’s tenure?
[Post edited 24 Mar 9:22]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024