Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If the miracle happens and we do get automatic, where do you trade up? 11:16 - Apr 7 with 3311 viewsbournemouthblue

Harness > Whittaker
Luongo > not sure but someone with some mobility
Clarke > Walker-Peters maybe?
Wolfy/Burgess > An experienced PL centre back

Edit: Kipre from WBA is available on a free I believe, I'd take him right now frankly
I believe Mowatt is available also, I'm take him as a midfield option

I'd sign up a bigger more organised left back to backup Leif, a PL Greg Leigh if you will

A project like the striker from QPR, Armstrong is it?

What else do you need? Perhaps a new keeper depending on what happens with Hladky, they'll need to be good on the deck

I'm not saying this would be cheap either but it seems a fairly non-brainer for Whittaker in particular

KWP maybe out of our price range but would be real quality

No idea on central midfielders but need someone who is big and mobile and able to succeed Luongo

I suspect we would try and sign Sarmiento & Hutch or at least loan them again

I'm not sure on Moore and it isn't because he is very good, I just think we might be looking a bit more long term

Edit: I think we also need a succession plan for after McKenna for whenever he does move on
[Post edited 7 Apr 11:29]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

If the miracle happens and we do get automatic, where do you trade up? on 12:43 - Apr 8 with 593 viewsTractorWood

Everyone except Leif, Tuanzebe, Moore, Omari, Burns and Moorsy.

The standard in the Premier is absolutely ridiculous.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

If the miracle happens and we do get automatic, where do you trade up? on 12:59 - Apr 8 with 560 viewsportmanking

I think we'd need at least a dozen new faces, realistically speaking, maybe even 14?

You can probably expect the following to be part of the squad:

Davis, Woolfie, Morsy (?), Hirst, Chaplin, Burns (?) and maybe Taylor (?)

That's 7 players, so 15 more needed for a squad of 22 (2 for every position).

Make no bones about it, we'd need to be very active in the market from day one.
If the miracle happens and we do get automatic, where do you trade up? on 13:36 - Apr 8 with 519 viewsWeWereZombies

If the miracle happens and we do get automatic, where do you trade up? on 12:59 - Apr 8 by portmanking

I think we'd need at least a dozen new faces, realistically speaking, maybe even 14?

Five in the summer maximum, this special squad needs as little disruption as possible. Maybe another three in January depending on how things are going but that still fells like too much churn for one season.

Keep our feet on the ground, one game at a time etc. etc.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

If the miracle happens and we do get automatic, where do you trade up? on 13:42 - Apr 8 with 511 viewsportmanking

If the miracle happens and we do get automatic, where do you trade up? on 13:36 - Apr 8 by WeWereZombies

Five in the summer maximum, this special squad needs as little disruption as possible. Maybe another three in January depending on how things are going but that still fells like too much churn for one season.

My word. If we only bring in five new faces, we'll be on for the record low points total. Fact.

This team can't go back-to-back and then physically/emotionally sustain a PL place easily. It'll need help and lots of it.
If the miracle happens and we do get automatic, where do you trade up? on 13:50 - Apr 8 with 504 viewsJ2BLUE

If the miracle happens and we do get automatic, where do you trade up? on 23:52 - Apr 7 by Kropotkin123

Can posts like this not wait until the seasons over? Plenty of time to discuss this over the summer. Bit disrespectful to those that are contributing to our promotion challenge.

Completely agree.

Also I wish people would stop saying things like it would be a miracle. This team has outperformed Leeds for 41 games. They can do it for another five. All five of our games will be tough but it will be the same for them. Big clubs like Sunderland/Blackburn/QPR are not going to lay down for them.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

If the miracle happens and we do get automatic, where do you trade up? on 13:51 - Apr 8 with 502 viewsWeWereZombies

If the miracle happens and we do get automatic, where do you trade up? on 13:42 - Apr 8 by portmanking

My word. If we only bring in five new faces, we'll be on for the record low points total. Fact.

This team can't go back-to-back and then physically/emotionally sustain a PL place easily. It'll need help and lots of it.

This debate has been aired quite a few times on here, many thought (including me) that Cook recruits had to be cleared out and that none of them were good enough for their third tier let alone this season. We were wrong. Some thought that none of the third tier squad would cut it in this league, they were wrong. We can only wait and see what McKenna and his team are able to bring in over the summer but I am glad that it is his job and not ours.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

If the miracle happens and we do get automatic, where do you trade up? on 13:53 - Apr 8 with 498 viewsportmanking

If the miracle happens and we do get automatic, where do you trade up? on 13:51 - Apr 8 by WeWereZombies

This debate has been aired quite a few times on here, many thought (including me) that Cook recruits had to be cleared out and that none of them were good enough for their third tier let alone this season. We were wrong. Some thought that none of the third tier squad would cut it in this league, they were wrong. We can only wait and see what McKenna and his team are able to bring in over the summer but I am glad that it is his job and not ours.

We were churning out top 6-level Champ statistics in League One last season. There's a chasm of difference between what we're doing now and surviving in the PL.

IF we go up, we'd need to avoid sentimentality seeping in, but I'm sure McKenna knows that anyway.
If the miracle happens and we do get automatic, where do you trade up? on 14:11 - Apr 8 with 482 viewscrouchendyachtclub

I'd like to see Hamer play under KMK, breaks up play very well with an eye to go forward although when I watched him at Coventry he was slightly wayward with the ball sometimes. Also think most clubs going up will have an eye on Brereton Diaz, 4 in 6 for Sheffield Utd and turns 25 this month.
Login to get fewer ads

If the miracle happens and we do get automatic, where do you trade up? on 14:47 - Apr 8 with 449 viewsjayessess

If the miracle happens and we do get automatic, where do you trade up? on 13:36 - Apr 8 by WeWereZombies

Gotta agree with this.

It would be absolute madness to change 2/3rds of the squad in one Summer. Multiple reasons for that:

- Momentum, squad togetherness are basically the only thing we'll have that other teams won't.
- Ability of our recruitment department to find 15 first-team ready Premier League players is very much unproven.
- Each player you sign is resources, time and money, that you could've spent somewhere else. 15 signings spreads you really thin.
- There's no indication we'll be in a position to spend the kind of money that gets you 15 players that are 100% definitely better than players capable of winning automatic promotion from the Championship.
[Post edited 8 Apr 15:10]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

If the miracle happens and we do get automatic, where do you trade up? on 15:08 - Apr 8 with 419 viewsJammyDodgerrr

I'd like us to do a Luton, to be honest. Give the majority of the players who have done us so well a go and sprinkle in some premier league experience. I'd hate for us to go the Forest route - that's not really who we are as a club, i'd think.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

If the miracle happens and we do get automatic, where do you trade up? on 15:15 - Apr 8 with 404 viewsportmanking

If the miracle happens and we do get automatic, where do you trade up? on 15:08 - Apr 8 by JammyDodgerrr

I'd like us to do a Luton, to be honest. Give the majority of the players who have done us so well a go and sprinkle in some premier league experience. I'd hate for us to go the Forest route - that's not really who we are as a club, i'd think.

I'm not advocating Forest levels (25-30 signings).

But we are going to need strengthening in all areas of the pitch, so I really don't see why a dozen or more faces is such a stretch.
If the miracle happens and we do get automatic, where do you trade up? on 15:42 - Apr 8 with 373 viewsjayessess

If the miracle happens and we do get automatic, where do you trade up? on 15:08 - Apr 8 by JammyDodgerrr

Interesting to compare the three promoted clubs. Their respective Summer spend was:

Burnley £95m (on 15 players)
Sheffield United £57m (on 10 players)
Luton £22m (on 13 players)

So, lesson doesn't seem to be that you spend more, you get more, especially when you consider that Burnley and Sheffield United went into the Summer with better squads and more time to do their business.

Interesting seeing which players they've relied on too. Number of players who've played 10 x 90 minutes or more for them this season who they had also in 22-23 (each includes one loanee they were able to make permanent after promotion):

Burnley: 9/16
Sheff United: 10/15
Luton: 10/19

Wouldn't say there's an obvious lesson there, beyond Luton exercising better judgement in their recruitment and Rob Edwards being a superior manager to Kompany, Heckingbottom or Wilder. Worth noting though that none of them have managed to avoid giving the majority of their minutes to players they had on the books pre-promotion.

Would be interesting in which signings they made that people think have been obvious successes. At Luton I'd say Barkley, Chong, Ogbene and Kaminski. Sheffield United, probably only McAtee and Vini Souza. Hamer's been alright, but looks overpriced as their record signing to me. Burnley, Fofana was a great January addition, but beyond that? Odobert and Amdouni have had moments, but that's about it.
[Post edited 8 Apr 15:44]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

If the miracle happens and we do get automatic, where do you trade up? on 18:29 - Apr 9 with 272 viewsCrawfordsboot

If the miracle happens and we do get automatic, where do you trade up? on 12:59 - Apr 8 by portmanking

I hope the players and their families don’t read this page. Their commitment to the cause this season might be undermined!
If the miracle happens and we do get automatic, where do you trade up? on 18:49 - Apr 9 with 244 viewsSwansea_Blue

If the miracle happens and we do get automatic, where do you trade up? on 15:17 - Apr 7 by Facefacts

Every position needs strengthening or adding a backup player. Really this is a huge challenge.

We are probably 10 to 12 new players away from being good enough to stay up in the PL..

That will take another two years of finishing top 6 of the championship, as we won't be able to attract (or sort out within FFP) more than 3 top quality players each window.

Dealing with the financial planning of this is huge, to stay within FFP. And shows how the parachute payments and the example of Leicester knowingly cheating to be able to stay strong enough to walk the championship without fear of being docked points NOW, when it matters. Football is .....ed.

But, on we go. I want us to get top 2 but what do we do in the summer? It will have to be quick fix, trying to do as much as we can. The real fear is losing Kieran McKenna after a poor start to the Premier League season.

Yeah, every position is on the table. We look to improve where we can for the right player and right price. So we’d end up with a blend of the old and new. I think we’re in a worse position than last time we went up. Then we had players coming into their prime through the spine of the team with Wright, Holland and Magilton and a natural goalscorer in Marcus. Despite Morsy being a legend, I don’t think our engine room has the energy and creativity of Magic/Matt.

Leif is a big plus, although Clapham was at that level. I’m not sure how McGreal and Veno stack up to our current two; possibly similar. Woolf is our current Titus (in terms of home grown coming through), but it’s still to be seen if he can step up.

We had a better right back back then in Fab, but we’re probably better stacked with forward options now (albeit they are loans). The current squad has probably got the edge of team play, but that’s arguable. Team spirit is a draw - it was massive back then too.

If we go up it’s going to be really interesting. I’m excited to see KM get the chance to show what he could do, and think he’d do very well. We will need reinforcements and I’d have more faith in us getting the right players in compared to say the 2001-02 season, which was a bit of a disaster.
[Post edited 9 Apr 18:50]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

If the miracle happens and we do get automatic, where do you trade up? on 20:59 - Apr 9 with 224 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The most important thing is signing players who fit with how we play and that improve us.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024