Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Five massive games remaining now.... 08:13 - Apr 8 with 2332 viewsITFC_Forever

...forget Saturday's result - the fact Leeds also lost means it was merely a missed opportunity rather than anything worse.

There is a nagging part of me that worries we are going run out of energy, physically and mentally in the final few games - we have been incredible all season, and the stakes are now so high. I'm sure KMcK will see this, and I hope he has the tools to navigate through it....

P 1125, W 501, D 288, L 336, F 1709, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Five massive games remaining now.... on 08:33 - Apr 8 with 2236 viewsTonytown

We have a 2 week break after Saturday to recharge batteries and get players rested and ready for the last 3 games.

By the time that we play them Coventry and Hull may be effectively out of play off contention too.

The next 2 home games are so important, win them both and we can rest up, possibly even see George and Wes getting back ready to play in that last week which would be a great boost.

At worst (if we win the next 2) we know that 3 wins gets us promoted.
Five massive games remaining now.... on 09:12 - Apr 8 with 2131 viewsAce_High1

Five massive games remaining now.... on 08:33 - Apr 8 by Tonytown

We have a 2 week break after Saturday to recharge batteries and get players rested and ready for the last 3 games.

By the time that we play them Coventry and Hull may be effectively out of play off contention too.

The next 2 home games are so important, win them both and we can rest up, possibly even see George and Wes getting back ready to play in that last week which would be a great boost.

At worst (if we win the next 2) we know that 3 wins gets us promoted.

The break bothers me though, after most international breaks we often start slowly and seem to struggle to find intensity in games.

I think we are better when we are playing week after week and get some momentum.

The break and watching Leeds and Leicester rack up the points is not a great position to be in.

In the really big matches (Leeds x 2), Leicester, Norwich at home we sometimes are a little bit too frantic and that often shows in our passing being all over the place.
Five massive games remaining now.... on 09:13 - Apr 8 with 2119 viewsKeno

I think this is where last years run in could be key and perhaps there is a feeling in the squad "we did it last year, we'll do it again this year"

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Five massive games remaining now.... on 09:14 - Apr 8 with 2118 views_clive_baker_

5 massive games, but more immediately its the 2 massive games this week that I'm interested in. 2 wins and we go into our break guaranteed to be in the top 2 and with it still in our hands going in to the final 3 games. We would be at least 1 point, and potentially (although highly unlikely) as much as 7 clear of Leeds. Really hoping Sunderland do us a favour on Tuesday and then we do the business Wednesday. COYB.
Five massive games remaining now.... on 09:16 - Apr 8 with 2098 viewstractorboy1978

Five massive games remaining now.... on 09:12 - Apr 8 by Ace_High1

The break bothers me though, after most international breaks we often start slowly and seem to struggle to find intensity in games.

I think we are better when we are playing week after week and get some momentum.

The break and watching Leeds and Leicester rack up the points is not a great position to be in.

In the really big matches (Leeds x 2), Leicester, Norwich at home we sometimes are a little bit too frantic and that often shows in our passing being all over the place.

We won't have players going away and in some cases half way around the world this time though. We will have two weeks on the training ground with the whole squad to prepare for Hull.

And I guess the flip side is Leicester and/or Leeds could drop points (Leeds are away at Boro) and we are left in a stronger position knowing we have a game in hand.
[Post edited 8 Apr 9:36]
Five massive games remaining now.... on 09:42 - Apr 8 with 1941 viewsSomethingBlue

Selection on Wednesday will be interesting – is it a "give Sunday's lads the chance to put it right" or will freshness be more of a factor. Probably the latter in reality. Could see arguments for Clarke, Taylor, Jackson and one of Sarmiento/Harness coming in. We will need physicality and energy against Watford as they are good on both fronts, although they find it hard to maintain a 90-minute tempo and the bench may be important again.

Bit of a potential banana skin against Watford (before we even get to Boro!) – in a bit of a false position I think and getting it together slightly, never quite know which side of of them you're going to get so hopefully our consistency & reliability hold sway.
[Post edited 8 Apr 9:43]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Five massive games remaining now.... on 09:55 - Apr 8 with 1864 viewstractorboy1978

Five massive games remaining now.... on 09:42 - Apr 8 by SomethingBlue

Selection on Wednesday will be interesting – is it a "give Sunday's lads the chance to put it right" or will freshness be more of a factor. Probably the latter in reality. Could see arguments for Clarke, Taylor, Jackson and one of Sarmiento/Harness coming in. We will need physicality and energy against Watford as they are good on both fronts, although they find it hard to maintain a 90-minute tempo and the bench may be important again.

Bit of a potential banana skin against Watford (before we even get to Boro!) – in a bit of a false position I think and getting it together slightly, never quite know which side of of them you're going to get so hopefully our consistency & reliability hold sway.

They are one of four sides that are already 'on the beach'. Whilst it won't be easy I am sure, I'm hoping sheer will, intensity and need to win gets us through this one. I'd make a couple of changes. I think Clarke gives us a lot more off the bench than Tuanzebe though so would have him down for the last 30 minutes.

Hladky

Tuanzebe Woolfy Burgess Davis

Morsy Taylor

Jackson Hutchinson Broadhead

Moore
[Post edited 8 Apr 9:56]
Five massive games remaining now.... on 09:55 - Apr 8 with 1858 viewsportmanking

Jack is an absolute must in my, albeit biased, position. Massimo looked well below par and even lost the physical battle against Norwich. He's not been himself for several weeks now, in truth. I think the last 18 months has caught up with him, which is no slight on him.
Login to get fewer ads

Five massive games remaining now.... on 09:57 - Apr 8 with 1838 viewsportmanking

Five massive games remaining now.... on 09:55 - Apr 8 by tractorboy1978

They are one of four sides that are already 'on the beach'. Whilst it won't be easy I am sure, I'm hoping sheer will, intensity and need to win gets us through this one. I'd make a couple of changes. I think Clarke gives us a lot more off the bench than Tuanzebe though so would have him down for the last 30 minutes.

Hladky

Tuanzebe Woolfy Burgess Davis

Morsy Taylor

Jackson Hutchinson Broadhead

Moore
[Post edited 8 Apr 9:56]

I'm staggered we haven't tried to get Hutchinson centrally more often. Against Millwall away, he was dynamite. I think he can really be a threat there, as he's got the option to drag defenders both ways from this position.
Five massive games remaining now.... on 09:59 - Apr 8 with 1823 viewstractorboy1978

Five massive games remaining now.... on 09:57 - Apr 8 by portmanking

I'm staggered we haven't tried to get Hutchinson centrally more often. Against Millwall away, he was dynamite. I think he can really be a threat there, as he's got the option to drag defenders both ways from this position.

And against Sheffield Wednesday. It is his best position.
Five massive games remaining now.... on 10:00 - Apr 8 with 1812 viewsSomethingBlue

Five massive games remaining now.... on 09:55 - Apr 8 by portmanking

Jack is an absolute must in my, albeit biased, position. Massimo looked well below par and even lost the physical battle against Norwich. He's not been himself for several weeks now, in truth. I think the last 18 months has caught up with him, which is no slight on him.

Yep, Taylor is the one I'd absolutely get in there for Weds – Watford have good running power in midfield for one thing but also he's earned it in recent outings. Luongo definitely off it right now and, as you say, that's no poor reflection: he's put in an absolutely astonishing shift since coming in.

Five massive games remaining now.... on 10:03 - Apr 8 with 1763 viewsSomethingBlue

Five massive games remaining now.... on 09:59 - Apr 8 by tractorboy1978

And against Sheffield Wednesday. It is his best position.

Hutchinson/Tuanzebe down that right side just doesn't work, for me – obviously Axel obviously a solid defensive player to have behind him but he just can't/won't back OH up effectively going forward or make those overlaps when he drifts in. First half on Saturday there were a couple of really obvious examples where Hutchinson was looking for support on the outside that never came. We'll just have to make something work on that flank for next couple and then hope that – as appears likely – Wes is back inside three weeks.

Five massive games remaining now.... on 10:03 - Apr 8 with 1762 viewsGuthrum

Not just we who are running out of energy. Leeds lost to Coventry and Leicester struggled to get past the team now in 22nd place. Ours being arguably the trickiest game of the three, an away derby against a team getting established in the play-offs.

Plus we have a break built in before the final burst of three.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Five massive games remaining now.... on 10:14 - Apr 8 with 1673 viewsGuthrum

Five massive games remaining now.... on 10:03 - Apr 8 by SomethingBlue

Hutchinson/Tuanzebe down that right side just doesn't work, for me – obviously Axel obviously a solid defensive player to have behind him but he just can't/won't back OH up effectively going forward or make those overlaps when he drifts in. First half on Saturday there were a couple of really obvious examples where Hutchinson was looking for support on the outside that never came. We'll just have to make something work on that flank for next couple and then hope that – as appears likely – Wes is back inside three weeks.

Think there's other factors at play, too.

Opponents are being extra careful to double or triple mark Hutchinson and force him right tight to the touch-line. They are more prepared for him bursting through into their full-back area (at which he is not quite so rapid as Burns).

Plus this is Omari's first full season of senior football, playing at a high level during the business end of an intense competition. A lot of playmaking responsibility has been placed on his shoulders at the age of just 20. I'm not saying he can't cope, far from it. But it will have been both physically and mentally exhausting beyond anything he will have previously experienced. Unsurprising if he has the occasional off-day (which is still better than many others at this level regularly achieve).

Five massive games remaining now.... on 10:25 - Apr 8 with 1573 viewsSomethingBlue

Five massive games remaining now.... on 10:14 - Apr 8 by Guthrum

Think there's other factors at play, too.

Opponents are being extra careful to double or triple mark Hutchinson and force him right tight to the touch-line. They are more prepared for him bursting through into their full-back area (at which he is not quite so rapid as Burns).

Plus this is Omari's first full season of senior football, playing at a high level during the business end of an intense competition. A lot of playmaking responsibility has been placed on his shoulders at the age of just 20. I'm not saying he can't cope, far from it. But it will have been both physically and mentally exhausting beyond anything he will have previously experienced. Unsurprising if he has the occasional off-day (which is still better than many others at this level regularly achieve).

Yes, and Hutchinson did suggest before the international break that he was taking a bit of a battering. Would be ideal to give him a bit of a rest from the starting lineup at this point but not sure we can.

Five massive games remaining now.... on 10:25 - Apr 8 with 1570 viewsJakeITFC

They're all cup finals now, but Watford really are the sort of side that could cause us problems with the shackles off. As you say they have running power, strength and also tonnes of quality that doesn't represent their season to date. Hate to be that guy but it can't be one of those Portman Road nights where people turn-up expecting a walkover.

Boro on Saturday a different kettle of fish - the form team in the league now - but will be on the second leg of a really difficult double away (Hull then us) and really have to beat us both to have any chance of sneaking in the play-offs. Think in normal circumstances they'd come and be cagey here but I like our chances against a more open side.

Six points seems like a must so that it isn't a mountain to climb when we face Hull, but I do fancy Millwall to cause Leicester some problems tomorrow and I hope some other wacky results derail them and Leeds in the next few weeks.
Five massive games remaining now.... on 10:32 - Apr 8 with 1521 viewsSteve_M

Five massive games remaining now.... on 09:57 - Apr 8 by portmanking

That Burns injury really came at a bad time, the combination of him outside Omari looked a good one and gives Chaplin some matches off (not that he enjoys it...). Jackson outisde Omari works for some games, but he's less flexible than Burns in that regard.

Was telling that Sarmiento our wide right, and Omari central, gave us our best spell of Saturday I think.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Five massive games remaining now.... on 10:33 - Apr 8 with 1516 viewsGuthrum

Five massive games remaining now.... on 10:25 - Apr 8 by SomethingBlue

Yes, and Hutchinson did suggest before the international break that he was taking a bit of a battering. Would be ideal to give him a bit of a rest from the starting lineup at this point but not sure we can.

With Burns out, not sure that's possible. I rate Jackson more highly than most seem to, but he doesn't have the same skills and trickery.

Five massive games remaining now.... on 10:39 - Apr 8 with 1472 viewsJakeITFC

Five massive games remaining now.... on 10:33 - Apr 8 by Guthrum

With Burns out, not sure that's possible. I rate Jackson more highly than most seem to, but he doesn't have the same skills and trickery.

The beauty of Burns (and Hirst in a different role) is that he is a capable and dangerous player both into feet and as an in behind runner. That means we can do different things in our build-up and the left hand side defensive players out of possession for the opposition are reluctant to commit too much to one option or the other. With Jackson it is too often clipped in behind and with Hutchinson it is almost always to feet and therefore it's a bit easier to squeeze either of those options.

Losing that direct pace in behind from Hirst in the central option has lessened the impact of our more central attacking players (Broadhead and Chaplin normally) in that everything is much more congested. Moore's hold-up play is on a completely different level to Hirst but ultimately the centre backs can afford to be a few yards higher up to squeeze the box where we like to find joy.

Moore and Hutchinson are probably two of our better players (and have been in the best form) but I don't think you can have them play those two roles simultaneously without a genuine running threat behind from somewhere.
Five massive games remaining now.... on 10:47 - Apr 8 with 1406 viewstractorboy1978

Five massive games remaining now.... on 10:39 - Apr 8 by JakeITFC

The beauty of Burns (and Hirst in a different role) is that he is a capable and dangerous player both into feet and as an in behind runner. That means we can do different things in our build-up and the left hand side defensive players out of possession for the opposition are reluctant to commit too much to one option or the other. With Jackson it is too often clipped in behind and with Hutchinson it is almost always to feet and therefore it's a bit easier to squeeze either of those options.

Losing that direct pace in behind from Hirst in the central option has lessened the impact of our more central attacking players (Broadhead and Chaplin normally) in that everything is much more congested. Moore's hold-up play is on a completely different level to Hirst but ultimately the centre backs can afford to be a few yards higher up to squeeze the box where we like to find joy.

Moore and Hutchinson are probably two of our better players (and have been in the best form) but I don't think you can have them play those two roles simultaneously without a genuine running threat behind from somewhere.

It's a shame that Al-Hamadi is carrying an injury and having to be managed too. Would give us the option to play him and Moore at the same time. He's not a conventional wide player but definitely someone that could play that role in a similar way to Broadhead or Hutchinson. And he gives you that running threat.
[Post edited 8 Apr 10:47]
Five massive games remaining now.... on 11:07 - Apr 8 with 1289 viewsITFC_Forever

Five massive games remaining now.... on 09:13 - Apr 8 by Keno

I think this is where last years run in could be key and perhaps there is a feeling in the squad "we did it last year, we'll do it again this year"

That is also my hope too - but this is a higher level.

We have come so far, it would be heart-breaking to trip over now.

P 1125, W 501, D 288, L 336, F 1709, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Five massive games remaining now.... on 11:09 - Apr 8 with 1279 viewshomer_123

Five massive games remaining now.... on 10:03 - Apr 8 by Guthrum

Not just we who are running out of energy. Leeds lost to Coventry and Leicester struggled to get past the team now in 22nd place. Ours being arguably the trickiest game of the three, an away derby against a team getting established in the play-offs.

Plus we have a break built in before the final burst of three.

The Cov v Leeds result wasn't entirely out of the ordinary - Leeds really struggled against them at home earlier in the season.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Five massive games remaining now.... on 11:14 - Apr 8 with 1227 viewsGuthrum

Five massive games remaining now.... on 11:09 - Apr 8 by homer_123

The Cov v Leeds result wasn't entirely out of the ordinary - Leeds really struggled against them at home earlier in the season.

Indeed. Leeds are far from the unstoppable juggernaut some would have us believe. Several times this season they've slipped up when people were least expecting it.

The fanbase need to bring the energy now on 11:33 - Apr 8 with 1111 viewsunstableblue

We have to be the 12th man on Weds night.

Unconditional support for 90mins.

Bring the positivity back.

Make it intimidating for Watford, who have nothing to play for.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024