Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The state of Royal Mail 11:05 - Apr 10 with 1786 viewsmickymills

My Blackburn tickets arrived YESTERDAY!
11 days after the match.
They'd been ordered 2 weeks before the game, but I started to get a bit twitchy 2 days before the match so rang the club to arrange for duplicates to be collected at Blackburn.
This back up plan worked really well.
So, 2 questions.
Is this further proof that Royal Mail is broken.
Should the club consider alternative methods for delivery of tickets?
The state of Royal Mail on 11:12 - Apr 10 with 1729 viewsGeoffSentence

On its own it's not proof.

But it isn't on its own.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/apr/08/quit-royal-mail-falling-ap

''I was stopped one day by a sixtysomething guy mowing his front lawn – he had not had any post for 10 days. He shoved both hands into his front pockets, rocked on his heels and puffed: “Unfcking-believable is what it is!”

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

The state of Royal Mail on 11:27 - Apr 10 with 1656 viewsGuthrum

The state of Royal Mail on 11:12 - Apr 10 by GeoffSentence

On its own it's not proof.

But it isn't on its own.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/apr/08/quit-royal-mail-falling-ap

''I was stopped one day by a sixtysomething guy mowing his front lawn – he had not had any post for 10 days. He shoved both hands into his front pockets, rocked on his heels and puffed: “Unfcking-believable is what it is!”

I have a friend who works for RM. Sounds like a shambles of cuts, with resulting inefficiency and poor morale. Partly driven by restrictive legislation, but with a big dose of senior management "wanting to implement change".

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The state of Royal Mail on 11:41 - Apr 10 with 1575 viewsBasuco

Regular staff who have mostly been long term employees are being replace by lower paid agency staff with no sense of duty or service commitment, what could possibly go wrong. One problem is that Royal Mail has to deliver to everywhere in the UK, other providers do not, they can pick and choose the easy addresses. So the RM have to do the expensive awkward deliveries that in the past would be subsidised by the quick easy cheap delivery sites. Like all public services if it was left as nationalised it would be a much better service, remember we used to get two deliveries a day and there were three collections a day from post boxes. We now pay much higher prices for a much reduced service, forget the politics in this it is just much cheaper and more efficient for one company to provide a National service.
The state of Royal Mail on 11:42 - Apr 10 with 1566 viewsmidastouch

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001wsyz/panorama-royal-mail-wheres-my-pos

Poll: Would you trade Marcus Evans for Mike Ashley?

The state of Royal Mail on 11:44 - Apr 10 with 1557 viewsTresBonne

Same thing happened to me re Blackburn tickets mate. I wonder if the ticket office mucked it up in some way, then RM made it worse.
The state of Royal Mail on 11:55 - Apr 10 with 1490 viewsArnieM

OP: On the assumption that you live in the area or Ipswich itself ...All mail when posted in the town , even if its to a local address, will be sent to Chelmsford for sorting before returning back to Ipswich to be posted . Absolutely insane idea / process. And for whats its worth , dont ever both to put a 1st class stamp on anything because the letters all get lumped together. 1st and 2nd class delivery is a con .

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

The state of Royal Mail on 12:38 - Apr 10 with 1387 viewsmickymills

The state of Royal Mail on 11:55 - Apr 10 by ArnieM

OP: On the assumption that you live in the area or Ipswich itself ...All mail when posted in the town , even if its to a local address, will be sent to Chelmsford for sorting before returning back to Ipswich to be posted . Absolutely insane idea / process. And for whats its worth , dont ever both to put a 1st class stamp on anything because the letters all get lumped together. 1st and 2nd class delivery is a con .

I'm in Colchester. So, they probably went past my house twice!
The state of Royal Mail on 13:11 - Apr 10 with 1299 viewsRyorry

The state of Royal Mail on 11:41 - Apr 10 by Basuco

Regular staff who have mostly been long term employees are being replace by lower paid agency staff with no sense of duty or service commitment, what could possibly go wrong. One problem is that Royal Mail has to deliver to everywhere in the UK, other providers do not, they can pick and choose the easy addresses. So the RM have to do the expensive awkward deliveries that in the past would be subsidised by the quick easy cheap delivery sites. Like all public services if it was left as nationalised it would be a much better service, remember we used to get two deliveries a day and there were three collections a day from post boxes. We now pay much higher prices for a much reduced service, forget the politics in this it is just much cheaper and more efficient for one company to provide a National service.

Doesn't surprise me if the issues are localised then - it's been the top & most reliable service round here in rural N. Yorks for decades.

Would be pretty worrying if that doesn't continue, as most other courier services are unreliable at best, & incompetent, irresponsible &/or thieving cowboys at worst.

Rural areas are more difficult to deliver to because there are no rows of houses with numbers, in streets collected together - just named houses & farms that are scattered around, thus requiring a build-up of knowledge & experience by individual drivers. Ridiculous that companies don't keep their drivers on the same rural routes like the RM does its posties, so they get to know the area, & thereby do the job more efficiently & reliably.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Login to get fewer ads

The state of Royal Mail on 13:13 - Apr 10 with 1290 viewsNeedhamChris

I get why it seems ridiculous - but unless you have a sorting office in every town there's no way of knowing if local or not I guess.

In Needham we only seem to get deliveries a couple of times a week at the moment - so yeah, 1st or 2nd makes little difference to us when someone sends us something.

Poll: Was that the worst result in the clubs history?

The state of Royal Mail on 13:14 - Apr 10 with 1286 viewsZx1988

I had a flyer in the post this morning advertising the fact that RM are now offering to deal with repeat prescription services.

At this point in time, they feel like the last company I'd want to trust with something as time-critical as getting medications delivered on time.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

The state of Royal Mail on 14:54 - Apr 10 with 1112 viewsstonojnr

The state of Royal Mail on 11:41 - Apr 10 by Basuco

That's not the case though, except for some of the Highlands and Islands, a courier firm will deliver to wherever you as the customer wants in the UK. There's no well we only deliver to major towns so you've got to pick up from your nearest depot, they deliver even if its 1 parcel that takes 1 van on a stupidly long detour to do it.

The difference is they charge more, but not excessively more, to keep it profitable and they slowly became the partner of choice for alot of deliveries because they adapted to what their customers wanted and could guarantee delivery.

Royal Mail lost their parcel business, which is what paid for the universal service letters service, because they wouldn't adapt or modernise.

Customers like to know when parcels are arriving it means they can plan their day, Royal Mail still only give you a day at best, not a time when deliveries are made.

I had notification on Friday Royal Mail were delivering a package, it arrived Monday, and I had no options to change,postpone the delivery, and even when I have had in the past they just ignore it and fail the delivery

DPE as an example would have notified me the exact day and time frame, what number my delivery was on their list, I could track where the courier was on a map, who they were and could postpone redirected or changed the delivery on the day to suit me the customer and the delivery would be properly recorded.

Which is the better experience for the customer and then ask yourself why RM are struggling to compete again?.
The state of Royal Mail on 15:00 - Apr 10 with 1091 viewshype313

The state of Royal Mail on 13:14 - Apr 10 by Zx1988

I had a flyer in the post this morning advertising the fact that RM are now offering to deal with repeat prescription services.

At this point in time, they feel like the last company I'd want to trust with something as time-critical as getting medications delivered on time.

Think I'd be more comfortable relying on Evri, and that's saying something.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

The state of Royal Mail on 15:04 - Apr 10 with 1072 viewsRyorry

The state of Royal Mail on 14:54 - Apr 10 by stonojnr

That's not the case though, except for some of the Highlands and Islands, a courier firm will deliver to wherever you as the customer wants in the UK. There's no well we only deliver to major towns so you've got to pick up from your nearest depot, they deliver even if its 1 parcel that takes 1 van on a stupidly long detour to do it.

The difference is they charge more, but not excessively more, to keep it profitable and they slowly became the partner of choice for alot of deliveries because they adapted to what their customers wanted and could guarantee delivery.

Royal Mail lost their parcel business, which is what paid for the universal service letters service, because they wouldn't adapt or modernise.

Customers like to know when parcels are arriving it means they can plan their day, Royal Mail still only give you a day at best, not a time when deliveries are made.

I had notification on Friday Royal Mail were delivering a package, it arrived Monday, and I had no options to change,postpone the delivery, and even when I have had in the past they just ignore it and fail the delivery

DPE as an example would have notified me the exact day and time frame, what number my delivery was on their list, I could track where the courier was on a map, who they were and could postpone redirected or changed the delivery on the day to suit me the customer and the delivery would be properly recorded.

Which is the better experience for the customer and then ask yourself why RM are struggling to compete again?.

"Customers like to know when parcels are arriving it means they can plan their day, Royal Mail still only give you a day at best, not a time when deliveries are made."

That's not so here, as people know what time their postie usually delivers their letters - almost always within the same 2-hr window - so you can work it out, as parcels are delivered at the same time (obviously rounds are done by van in rural areas).

The state of Royal Mail on 15:23 - Apr 10 with 1023 viewsZx1988

The state of Royal Mail on 15:04 - Apr 10 by Ryorry

"Customers like to know when parcels are arriving it means they can plan their day, Royal Mail still only give you a day at best, not a time when deliveries are made."

That's not so here, as people know what time their postie usually delivers their letters - almost always within the same 2-hr window - so you can work it out, as parcels are delivered at the same time (obviously rounds are done by van in rural areas).

The system still works (in a way) in the right location or with the right postie. I've lived in rural locations where it's much safer for the postman to leave parcels somewhere on the property and, likewise, I've had fantastic urban posties even in recent years who'll exhibit a degree of lateral thought to make sure they can leave the parcel with you somehow.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

The state of Royal Mail on 16:14 - Apr 10 with 917 viewsArnieM

The state of Royal Mail on 12:38 - Apr 10 by mickymills

I'm in Colchester. So, they probably went past my house twice!

Judging by the length of time they take to deliver, there’s no guarantee they’d do the most direct route lol!!

The state of Royal Mail on 16:17 - Apr 10 with 910 viewsArnieM

The state of Royal Mail on 13:13 - Apr 10 by NeedhamChris

I get why it seems ridiculous - but unless you have a sorting office in every town there's no way of knowing if local or not I guess.

In Needham we only seem to get deliveries a couple of times a week at the moment - so yeah, 1st or 2nd makes little difference to us when someone sends us something.

I think the current sorting office set up is just ridiculous. But like so many public services, there’s the school of thought that “ centralisation “ is somehow more efficient. It might be saving money re infrastructure and less employees doing mire, bug in terms of quality of service the reverse is often true.

The state of Royal Mail on 16:20 - Apr 10 with 910 viewslowhouseblue

i had 3 letters recently via royal mail from investment companies, each returning various documents and therefore sent 'to be signed for'. the combination of the company logo and the 'to be signed for' was too good to miss. each had been neatly cut open along the sealed edge and a sticker saying 'damaged in transit' then added. so don't send secure stuff by royal mail, and if you do, recorded delivery etc clearly just marks it out for attention.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

The state of Royal Mail on 16:40 - Apr 10 with 846 viewsip6blue

I own a business who used to ( upto 2nd April 24 ) send approx 200 parcels & letters by Royal Mail a day.
This year has been a disaster 11% gone "missing"
Incorrect "oversize" charges on invoices which you cannot contest
Account was "suspended" for no reason, no contact from them either for 3 weeks over Xmas
I wont start on 2023 issues but Ive held back over 8k owed to them in invoices and will take them to court if necessary backdating all the mail they have lost in 12 months - and its alot.
Considered putting a tracking device and posting to myself to show them up
The state of Royal Mail on 18:25 - Apr 10 with 684 viewsArnieM

The state of Royal Mail on 16:40 - Apr 10 by ip6blue

I own a business who used to ( upto 2nd April 24 ) send approx 200 parcels & letters by Royal Mail a day.
This year has been a disaster 11% gone "missing"
Incorrect "oversize" charges on invoices which you cannot contest
Account was "suspended" for no reason, no contact from them either for 3 weeks over Xmas
I wont start on 2023 issues but Ive held back over 8k owed to them in invoices and will take them to court if necessary backdating all the mail they have lost in 12 months - and its alot.
Considered putting a tracking device and posting to myself to show them up

Suspect they’re too busy in court defending themselves against the disgraceful corrupt treatment of innocent sub-postmaster / mistresses.

The state of Royal Mail on 18:40 - Apr 10 with 651 viewsRyorry

The state of Royal Mail on 18:25 - Apr 10 by ArnieM

Suspect they’re too busy in court defending themselves against the disgraceful corrupt treatment of innocent sub-postmaster / mistresses.

That's the Post Office, not RM.

The state of Royal Mail on 18:45 - Apr 10 with 634 viewsmutters

My old man used to own a fish and chips shop on the coast. The fish he bought used to be caught bought into the town and then sent to London, processed and then sent back 😂😂

Nowadays there is more understanding of carbon miles etc but back in the 80s it was just how it was done

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024