Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link 23:56 - May 14 with 20783 viewsIllinoisblue

He wouldn’t, would he?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/may/14/manchester-united-ponde

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 06:43 - May 15 with 1506 viewsSitfcB

I’m scared.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 06:52 - May 15 with 1472 viewsKieran_Knows

Cue the ‘Y WuLd He LeAv Us 4 DeM’ posts.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 07:00 - May 15 with 1449 viewsheavyweight

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 05:31 - May 15 by DarkBrandon

Please fill us in, when you can.

I remember listening to an interview with KM shortly after we went up when he mentioned that he had “shown loyalty” to Ipswich. Which made me realise he had already had to make a pretty big decision. I guess as the Palace approach happened relatively quietly I hadn’t considered how seriously he might take it (or how far the talks went, maybe)
[Post edited 15 May 5:35]

I picked up on the loyalty comment too, which sent a bit of a cold shiver down my spine.

It seems to suggest that he already believes that he has fully repaid the faith Town had in him by giving him his first managerial job and that the relationship is a bit one-sided now. You can't really argue with that however sad it may make us feel.
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 07:05 - May 15 with 1429 viewsDarkBrandon

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 07:00 - May 15 by heavyweight

I picked up on the loyalty comment too, which sent a bit of a cold shiver down my spine.

It seems to suggest that he already believes that he has fully repaid the faith Town had in him by giving him his first managerial job and that the relationship is a bit one-sided now. You can't really argue with that however sad it may make us feel.

Well, I didn’t take it that way. Just he had been committed to the club, and that could show his commitment going forward.

Anyway, he’s taken us up two divisions. He owes us nothing (and we owe him everything)
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 07:06 - May 15 with 1418 viewsSitfcB

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 06:52 - May 15 by Kieran_Knows

Cue the ‘Y WuLd He LeAv Us 4 DeM’ posts.

Just can’t be turning that sort of job down can you. If they do come calling then he’s gone.

(There’s a small part of me that thinks he would turn it down at this point, but more in hope than anything else)

Announce new contract so we can all relax.

COYB

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 07:10 - May 15 with 1403 viewsGavTWTD

When he does leave us, they're likely to become my second team as I'll really want him to succeed. That'll be difficult if its Man U!

Article also says Brentford are after him. Don't make me laugh... I think he'll want a club with a higher ceiling.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 07:11 - May 15 with 1398 viewsBlueStreak

If United come knocking then he leaves and fair play to him, could be his only ever chance of managing one of the worlds biggest teams.

Just saw in this thread Potter being mentioned. That would be a superb replacement and could see that happening.

Price of success again I guess. Is what it is.
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 07:13 - May 15 with 1404 viewschicoazul

Strongly suspect we are about to find out whether all the TWTDers who told us there is no way he would move to Man U are right.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Login to get fewer ads

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 07:20 - May 15 with 1345 viewschicoazul

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 07:11 - May 15 by BlueStreak

If United come knocking then he leaves and fair play to him, could be his only ever chance of managing one of the worlds biggest teams.

Just saw in this thread Potter being mentioned. That would be a superb replacement and could see that happening.

Price of success again I guess. Is what it is.

Potter is going to England.
I think it would be Rob Edwards. Inshallah it won’t happen though.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 07:22 - May 15 with 1337 viewsReus30

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 07:13 - May 15 by chicoazul

Strongly suspect we are about to find out whether all the TWTDers who told us there is no way he would move to Man U are right.

I think we will know in the next couple of weeks won't we.

Two days ago, I thought he wasn't going anywhere but now reading some of these posts etc and I am picking up tidbits that makes me think he will leave us.

I will be simply crushed, the man is god FFS.
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 07:23 - May 15 with 1330 viewskiwiblue

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 07:13 - May 15 by chicoazul

His head is screwed on and he will know he needs a couple more seasons to prove his abilities and someone else can take a couple of years to sort out the manu mess.
However its noticeable the interest out there and also how grey his hair is now.....
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 07:24 - May 15 with 1313 viewsBuhrer

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 07:00 - May 15 by heavyweight

It's seems to suggest you've taken a large and fearful leap from "I showed loyalty" to a "fully repaid ... bit one sided relationship". That sent a cold shiver? Enjoy the summer!
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 07:25 - May 15 with 1302 viewsBloomBlue

I still think Man U will want to see how he performs as a manager in the Prem next season with Ipswich. Relegation won't automatically hurt him personally, the so-called experts will all expect Ipwich to be relegated, especially after taking us from L1 in 2 seasons. Its not like Burnley who had been relegated from the Prem and then promoted back the following season. It will be our style of play and how he tries to prevent relegation they will be more interested in.
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 07:25 - May 15 with 1305 viewsKieran_Knows

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 07:06 - May 15 by SitfcB

Just can’t be turning that sort of job down can you. If they do come calling then he’s gone.

(There’s a small part of me that thinks he would turn it down at this point, but more in hope than anything else)

Announce new contract so we can all relax.

Absolutely mate. I think regardless of how much United are a basket case at the minute, that sort of job doesn’t come round that often, so he’d be stupid not to take it.

I get what you mean about contracts, but I find them a bit pointless these days. It’ll clearly be signed with some sort of compensation package in it and if someone really wants him, regardless of whether he signed the contract 1 day or 1 year ago, they’ll trigger it.

Hopefully it’s all just paper talk!

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 07:29 - May 15 with 1269 viewschicoazul

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 07:22 - May 15 by Reus30

I think we will know in the next couple of weeks won't we.

Two days ago, I thought he wasn't going anywhere but now reading some of these posts etc and I am picking up tidbits that makes me think he will leave us.

I will be simply crushed, the man is god FFS.

I’d be amazed if they came in for him though, simply because it seems like far too sensible and far-thinking a move for the biggest basket case club in world football. Surely they will go for I dunno Mourinho again or Tuchel.

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 07:43 - May 15 with 1202 viewsPlums

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 07:29 - May 15 by chicoazul

I’d be amazed if they came in for him though, simply because it seems like far too sensible and far-thinking a move for the biggest basket case club in world football. Surely they will go for I dunno Mourinho again or Tuchel.

They're a different proposition under Ratcliffe and Brailsford though. Their sporting ethos is likely to be right up Kieran's street. I can't see them appointing another manager from the carousel of usual suspects as it clearly isn't working for them.
Fingers crossed it's too early but as others say, it's nigh on impossible to turn the job down.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 07:49 - May 15 with 1172 views_clive_baker_

Let’s be honest it would be an unbelievable opportunity if they offered it to him. A good time to join really given they’ve not done anything for years but such a huge club, one he supports, has been there already. It would be a bitter pill to swallow ahead of a premier league campaign to have our management team nabbed but you would have to wish the guy well IF it happened.
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 07:49 - May 15 with 1170 viewsReus30

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 07:43 - May 15 by Plums

They're a different proposition under Ratcliffe and Brailsford though. Their sporting ethos is likely to be right up Kieran's street. I can't see them appointing another manager from the carousel of usual suspects as it clearly isn't working for them.
Fingers crossed it's too early but as others say, it's nigh on impossible to turn the job down.

Just stuck 20 quid on him going just to at least buy me enough ice cream to get through the pain.

I had to split my bet though as the trader couldn't approve half of my stake, 2 mins after it shifted down to 12s.
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 07:53 - May 15 with 1146 views_clive_baker_

[Post edited 15 May 7:58]
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 07:58 - May 15 with 1092 viewskeanekipper

This would hurt so much, think it would genuinely make me hate football. After a year and hopefully keeping us up i could stomach it. But this would just be cruel. We need to hold onto him just long enough for the foundations of his work to be strong enough, this could blow the building up.

But cant blame him if it is true, perfect time to take them on at their lowest ebb, rumours the new board will be willing to sell everyone, ideal clean slate to re model them in his own way.
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 08:01 - May 15 with 1059 viewsSitfcB

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 07:25 - May 15 by Kieran_Knows

Absolutely mate. I think regardless of how much United are a basket case at the minute, that sort of job doesn’t come round that often, so he’d be stupid not to take it.

I get what you mean about contracts, but I find them a bit pointless these days. It’ll clearly be signed with some sort of compensation package in it and if someone really wants him, regardless of whether he signed the contract 1 day or 1 year ago, they’ll trigger it.

Hopefully it’s all just paper talk!

Yeah I agree about contracts but if we were to announce an extension can’t see him going a week later, maybe next summer but not so soon after agreeing a new one.

ETH is there until the FA Cup final anyways, so it’s going to be a long few weeks, expect if it happens it won’t be long after that.

COYB

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 08:01 - May 15 with 1055 viewsHerbivore

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 00:39 - May 15 by pointofblue

Dare I say it, but he needs a Paul Cook to do the dirty work at United and taking the flack before coming in afterwards.

If they need someone to go in and tell all the players they're leaving then hang around for a few months afterwards in the pub not really knowing what to do with the squad they've been given, I'd happily take the job for 6 months on £50k a week.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 08:07 - May 15 with 1014 viewsDanTheMan

Urgh, please let us have this one. At least let us see out the season before we get picked apart.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 08:07 - May 15 with 1013 viewspennblue

The idea that he leaves us know is really unthinkable, we have to assume he would not do it

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 08:10 - May 15 with 1000 viewsHerbivore

Anyone who thinks he'd turn it down if offered isn't being remotely realistic. If they decide they want him, he'll go. It's a fantastic opportunity at a giant of a club that he's worked at before and is a lifelong fan of. It doesn't matter that the time isn't ideal with them needing an overhaul and being a mess, you can't turn down this kind of opportunity.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024