Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Was it simply pot luck 09:12 - May 15 with 2713 viewsGuthrum

or, if McKenna should be poached by ManU, do we trust Ashton to pick another top candidate? As this article suggests, he already has ideas of whom to approach. We will not be caught cold.

https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/sport/23923471.ipswich-town-mark-ashton-keeping-ho

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Was it simply pot luck on 09:13 - May 15 with 2092 viewsbaxterbasics

I think when the time comes they should ask KM to pick his own successor. He knows exactly what we need, after all.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Rohl, Cifuentes, etc, etc. (n/t) on 09:14 - May 15 with 2080 viewsBloots

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Was it simply pot luck on 09:14 - May 15 with 2079 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Timing was lucky, if Solksjaer hasn't been sacked he may not have been available.

I suspect alot of clubs had McKenna on their radar.

We'd be amazingly lucky to get a replacement of similar calibre.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Was it simply pot luck on 09:24 - May 15 with 1952 viewshomer_123

Was it simply pot luck on 09:14 - May 15 by Marshalls_Mullet

Timing was lucky, if Solksjaer hasn't been sacked he may not have been available.

I don't know.

I think the approach taken to appoint a new manager and team is actually more involved than player acquisition these days.

I don't think the Club would find itself short of targets and ones that fit the model of what the Club now is.

Will we find KM v0.2 - unlikely but it's not impossible to consider that the next appointment won't be up there, quality wise.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Was it simply pot luck on 09:26 - May 15 with 1930 viewsibbleobble

McKenna will not be going to Man Utd any time soon, that much is obvious. They should be shopping for Ancelotti or Zidane at this juncture in their history. If it did happen (it won’t) but if it did (it really won’t), I suspect someone like Carrick would be a likely contender.
Was it simply pot luck on 09:26 - May 15 with 1934 viewsRegencyBlue

Ashton seems to be two steps ahead of the game mostly so he will undoubtedly know who he wants to replace McKenna if/when the worst happens.

Whether his choice would work as well again is another question. No appointment is guaranteed to be successful but I don’t think you can put the McKenna appointment down to pot luck. Ashton had obviously done his homework because I certainly hadn’t heard of McKenna before and I don’t think many other Town fans had either.
Was it simply pot luck on 09:26 - May 15 with 1920 viewsFrimleyBlue

Was it simply pot luck on 09:24 - May 15 by homer_123

I don't know.

I think the approach taken to appoint a new manager and team is actually more involved than player acquisition these days.

I don't think the Club would find itself short of targets and ones that fit the model of what the Club now is.

Will we find KM v0.2 - unlikely but it's not impossible to consider that the next appointment won't be up there, quality wise.

Goalposts have changed now anyway It's not about finding a KM2 if he goes, imo that's risky. it's about bringing in a manager who knows how to make town a stable prem side.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Was it simply pot luck on 09:27 - May 15 with 1914 viewsCoastalblue

Was it simply pot luck on 09:14 - May 15 by Marshalls_Mullet

Agree with that, but it does feel as though a lot of the heavy lifting and initial dirty work has been done to lift us out of the malaise we were in, we can probably get away with a great or good appointment now rather than needing an unbelievable one.

I still think we have another season or two of KM personally.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Login to get fewer ads

Was it simply pot luck on 09:42 - May 15 with 1736 viewshomer_123

Was it simply pot luck on 09:26 - May 15 by FrimleyBlue

Goalposts have changed now anyway It's not about finding a KM2 if he goes, imo that's risky. it's about bringing in a manager who knows how to make town a stable prem side.

I disagree.

Was it simply pot luck on 09:43 - May 15 with 1738 viewstextbackup

I completely trust MA to have someone lined up that would carry on the journey in his own way, might even be better in certain aspects, will also be worse in others. I’d even say the KM would advise MA on a replacement if it came to it.
But what we’d need to do is support Mr X in the same way.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Was it simply pot luck on 09:48 - May 15 with 1688 views_clive_baker_

If it happened now / over the next few weeks then we're presumably an attractive proposition and should leverage that. I wouldn't be averse to getting someone with a bit more premier league experience if we find ourselves in that position, rather than hoping to roll 2 6's again with an up and coming McKenna mk2. Potter might be fanciful and too much of a stretch financially, but someone like him would be a good balance.
Was it simply pot luck on 09:49 - May 15 with 1669 viewsFrimleyBlue

Was it simply pot luck on 09:42 - May 15 by homer_123

I disagree.

I just can't see it, we'd have around £10 mill in compensation as you'd guess KM and his staff would leave. I can't see us going for an untried manager in the prem, in league 1 it was a worthwhile risk, bare in mind we were one of the big fish in that league to begin with, just horribly managed.

Waka waka eh eh

Was it simply pot luck on 09:50 - May 15 with 1661 viewshomer_123

Was it simply pot luck on 09:48 - May 15 by _clive_baker_

If it happened now / over the next few weeks then we're presumably an attractive proposition and should leverage that. I wouldn't be averse to getting someone with a bit more premier league experience if we find ourselves in that position, rather than hoping to roll 2 6's again with an up and coming McKenna mk2. Potter might be fanciful and too much of a stretch financially, but someone like him would be a good balance.

You think we rolled the dice with KM?

I think people underestimate what went into his appointment.

Was it simply pot luck on 09:55 - May 15 with 1607 viewsChurchman

No. If there is anything such as luck, you make your own. Good decisions and outcomes come from hard work. It’s why Farke and supporters bleating about VAR, ITFCs luck etc at Leeds is such rubbish.

From what’s been said (if you believe it), a lot of work went into recruiting McKenna. Thoroughness is what our club seem to do in abundance these days.
Rohl, Cifuentes, etc, etc. (n/t) on 09:57 - May 15 with 1591 viewsKieran_Knows

Rohl, Cifuentes, etc, etc. (n/t) on 09:14 - May 15 by Bloots

I'd be surprised if Rohl wasn't very close to the top of that list.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Was it simply pot luck on 09:57 - May 15 with 1587 viewsFrimleyBlue

Was it simply pot luck on 09:50 - May 15 by homer_123

You roll the dice with any appointment tbh. Imo it was a typical Ashton appointment for the level we were at, a good solid addition it turned out to be, but had it not worked out, then it wouldn't have been the end of the world and we'd go again.

I think now we are prem, with the work we're about to undertake at the ground, the training ground, the finances involved to make ourselves a prem side, I can't see Ashton following the same path at this level, the risk is to much.

I think had we been a stable prem side for a few years, things are settled etc, then potentially yes you could take that risk again, but this window.. just getting promotion, it would take a very brave man to do it again. Look at the Hurst recruitment, it made sense, gave the fans what they seemed to crave, he soon found out he ran before he could walk, the level was to big for him.

Waka waka eh eh

Was it simply pot luck on 09:57 - May 15 with 1591 views_clive_baker_

Was it simply pot luck on 09:50 - May 15 by homer_123

Its always a bit of a dice roll when you hire a new manager. There's a huge level of due diligence that goes into it but there's always going to be an element of risk and uncertainty whoever you hire.
Yeah, he’d be top…. on 09:59 - May 15 with 1568 viewsBloots

Rohl, Cifuentes, etc, etc. (n/t) on 09:57 - May 15 by Kieran_Knows

….of my list at the moment.

But I haven’t really thought about it much to be honest.

I expect he’d be delighted to get out of Wednesday too.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Was it simply pot luck on 10:00 - May 15 with 1572 viewsEuropablue

It certainly wasn't pure luck. The first thing was identifying KM as a target and then came the work to actually convince him to come. It was very fortunate that KM even exists.
It wasn't easy to get out of League One, but really KM was fortunate to come into a club that had a lot of money compared to most of the other clubs. It was also fortunate that he had over a year to build a team that was Championship ready with a lot of good players in the building.
Because of what KM has achieved we are now a much more enticing prospect.
We probably won't appoint someone as good as KM, but we will be able to appoint someone who could take us further than we are right now.
Was it simply pot luck on 10:01 - May 15 with 1561 viewsGuthrum

Was it simply pot luck on 09:57 - May 15 by _clive_baker_

Its always a bit of a dice roll when you hire a new manager. There's a huge level of due diligence that goes into it but there's always going to be an element of risk and uncertainty whoever you hire.

Even if they are individually brilliant, things can just go wrong. From fallings-out to key players getting injured to good ideas simply not working out.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Was it simply pot luck on 10:05 - May 15 with 1532 viewshomer_123

Was it simply pot luck on 09:57 - May 15 by _clive_baker_

Indeed but your post suggests implies we randomly picked him. Which we know is not to be the case.

Was it simply pot luck on 10:23 - May 15 with 1424 views_clive_baker_

Was it simply pot luck on 10:05 - May 15 by homer_123

Indeed but your post suggests implies we randomly picked him. Which we know is not to be the case.

I think that probably goes without saying. Ashton's success or failure in his role is determined by his ability to recruit and engage the team around him, arguably the most important of those is the manager. It's never going to be a decision he takes lightly or without due consideration, but there's always risk in it.

I would think he tracked McKenna for a long, long time, and the timing of sacking Cook a fortnight after Ole was quite possibly a case of knowing exactly who he wanted at that time and making his move.

He'll already have a list of prospective new managers should McKenna be poached.
Was it simply pot luck on 10:25 - May 15 with 1396 viewshomer_123

Was it simply pot luck on 10:23 - May 15 by _clive_baker_

I think that probably goes without saying. Ashton's success or failure in his role is determined by his ability to recruit and engage the team around him, arguably the most important of those is the manager. It's never going to be a decision he takes lightly or without due consideration, but there's always risk in it.

I would think he tracked McKenna for a long, long time, and the timing of sacking Cook a fortnight after Ole was quite possibly a case of knowing exactly who he wanted at that time and making his move.

He'll already have a list of prospective new managers should McKenna be poached.

Indeed, as I posted earlier.

The work on KMs successor will have started before KM joined.

Was it simply pot luck on 10:26 - May 15 with 1390 views_clive_baker_

Was it simply pot luck on 10:01 - May 15 by Guthrum

Even if they are individually brilliant, things can just go wrong. From fallings-out to key players getting injured to good ideas simply not working out.

Yeah, there's loads of risk. Could even be external factors, family commitments, not adapting to a new area etc. Ultimately with any hire its about putting the odds in your favour, and that's why there's so much due diligence that goes into such hires. There's never and guarantees though, and we certainly rolled 2 6's with KM.

IF we're in a position where we're in the market again we'll have to go through a similar process, albeit the remit is very different. That's why I think we could be tempted by a different profile of manager given where we're at now vs. where we were at 2.5 years ago.
Rohl, Cifuentes, etc, etc. (n/t) on 10:36 - May 15 with 1339 viewsHackneyblueboy

Rohl, Cifuentes, etc, etc. (n/t) on 09:57 - May 15 by Kieran_Knows

Personally I would go for Steve Cooper. He has managed in the premier league and plays good football. I think he would be a good fit and less of a gamble.

Danny Rohl and Potter would be on my list as well although not sure if Potter would be obtainable.
[Post edited 15 May 10:37]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024