Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hive mind: Best thing for filling screw holes? 09:46 - May 23 with 1161 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Ok, stop sniggering at the back. What would you recommend as the best stuff for filling holes in walls after removing screws? Polyfilla is the obvious thing that springs to mind for someone who doesn't do a lot of DIY.
Ta.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Hive mind: Best thing for filling screw holes? on 09:50 - May 23 with 1112 viewsleitrimblue

A screw?
Otherwise polyfilla should do it you woulda thought
Hive mind: Best thing for filling screw holes? on 09:54 - May 23 with 1102 viewsGuthrum

The stuff they usually call "lightweight filler". With a decent filling knife and a little care, goes in smooth first time and doesn't need sanding.

This kind of thing:

Edit: I use buckets of the stuff.
[Post edited 23 May 10:08]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Hive mind: Best thing for filling screw holes? on 10:05 - May 23 with 1067 viewssoupytwist

I am not what you'd call a DIY expert but I've had good results with Toupret powdered filler that you make up yourself. Yes, the smallest box you can get is 2kg which will be far more than you need but you can mix it to the consistency you need and it works well.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/toupret-interior-powder-filler-2kg/390pp
Hive mind: Best thing for filling screw holes? on 10:10 - May 23 with 1043 viewsReus30

I am a dab hand at filling holes.
Hive mind: Best thing for filling screw holes? on 11:34 - May 23 with 953 viewsvictorywilhappen

If anyone has tips for filling the wormholes that are clogging up the forum at the moment it would also be helpful. Tak skal du har.
Hive mind: Best thing for filling screw holes? on 11:49 - May 23 with 904 viewsChurchman

Hive mind: Best thing for filling screw holes? on 10:05 - May 23 by soupytwist

I am not what you'd call a DIY expert but I've had good results with Toupret powdered filler that you make up yourself. Yes, the smallest box you can get is 2kg which will be far more than you need but you can mix it to the consistency you need and it works well.

This is good stuff. Recommended.

The problem with ready made tubes and tubs is that there’s a lot of waste. Once opened its not long before the contents go lumpy and unusable however you seal it.
Hive mind: Best thing for filling screw holes? on 11:54 - May 23 with 879 viewsSwansea_Blue

Hive mind: Best thing for filling screw holes? on 09:54 - May 23 by Guthrum

The stuff they usually call "lightweight filler". With a decent filling knife and a little care, goes in smooth first time and doesn't need sanding.

This kind of thing:

Edit: I use buckets of the stuff.
[Post edited 23 May 10:08]

Seconded. Lightweight filler is foolproof (it must be, as I use it). Other brands are available.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Hive mind: Best thing for filling screw holes? on 12:26 - May 23 with 820 viewsJ2BLUE

Rage torn posters of McKenna

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

Hive mind: Best thing for filling screw holes? on 12:42 - May 23 with 780 viewsGuthrum

Hive mind: Best thing for filling screw holes? on 10:05 - May 23 by soupytwist

That stuff is good, I use it more for bigger/deeper holes. The only danger if you make it too wet is a tendency to sag or slump (same with Polyfilla, etc.). Shouldn't be an issue with screw-holes, tho.

Hive mind: Best thing for filling screw holes? on 12:53 - May 23 with 757 viewsSmithersJones

Depends how big they are and whether you want to re-bore the holes afterwards. The fillers others have recommended are good. If the holes are deep and/or wide you can stuff bits of newspaper in first then use filler to finish off. If you’re just using filler it doesn’t always dry properly in deep holes. But obviously if you part fill with newspaper then don’t think about redrilling in that area.
Hive mind: Best thing for filling screw holes? on 13:54 - May 23 with 705 viewsGuthrum

Hive mind: Best thing for filling screw holes? on 11:54 - May 23 by Swansea_Blue

Seconded. Lightweight filler is foolproof (it must be, as I use it). Other brands are available.

Indeed they are. This is one of the best, but a bit pricier.

Hive mind: Best thing for filling screw holes? on 14:08 - May 23 with 652 viewsKeno

have you tried mashed potatoes?

Poll: IF TWTD was a constituency who'd you vote for?
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Hive mind: Best thing for filling screw holes? on 14:20 - May 23 with 620 viewsBlueBoots

If it's for filling holes and you don't do much DIY, you can buy small squeezy tubes of all-purpose filler; a lot less faff than transferring it from a tub - just have to cut the nozzle off the top, squeeze into the holes, and then smooth off with a damp sponge.

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

Hive mind: Best thing for filling screw holes? on 14:21 - May 23 with 606 viewsleitrimblue

Hive mind: Best thing for filling screw holes? on 12:53 - May 23 by SmithersJones

Depends how big they are and whether you want to re-bore the holes afterwards. The fillers others have recommended are good. If the holes are deep and/or wide you can stuff bits of newspaper in first then use filler to finish off. If you’re just using filler it doesn’t always dry properly in deep holes. But obviously if you part fill with newspaper then don’t think about redrilling in that area.

Or just put the screw back in and paint it the same colour as the wall .
Jobs a good un
Hive mind: Best thing for filling screw holes? on 14:23 - May 23 with 599 viewsgiant_stow

don't do what I did and assume its best to sand a load of filled holes down after its dry, especially if there are wall plugs in there too. The bumps are still in the wall to this day.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Hive mind: Best thing for filling screw holes? on 14:42 - May 23 with 543 viewsElephantintheRoom

Depends what the screw holes are in. Plaster? Brick? Mortar? Internal? External?

Assuming that it’s internal and you might be painting over it that earlier recommendation for Tupret is a good one. It doesn’t dry off to fast and is easily worked. Just about anything will work - but your difficulty will be getting a result that doesn’t look like a filled in screw hole. A small piece of damp cloth might be useful to smooth the edges. With a bit of sanding required if you get it slightly wrong.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Hive mind: Best thing for filling screw holes? on 15:25 - May 23 with 489 viewsOldFart71

Thought Polyfilla was something you used to stuff a Budgie ?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024