Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Worcestershire Sauce or Hendersons Relish 07:41 - May 24 with 1056 viewsChurchman

Today’s key debate.

Now most of you have had Worcestershire Sauce. A fine condiment both in stuff and on stuff. A sprinkling in your cheese on toast takes it to another level.

But have you tried Henderson’s Relish? It’s similar but different. The main difference is no anchovies. That makes it slightly sweeter. It is very much a northern thing made in Sheffield, production dating from the early part of the 20c.

It’s great stuff. A splot of it in gravy lifts the latter. It goes with just about anything you’d use WS for. Good on chips, with pies, you name it. Try it, if you haven’t already.

Are there any other similar sauces out there people would recommend?
Worcestershire Sauce or Hendersons Relish on 07:43 - May 24 with 1033 viewsmutters

Tracklements Sweet Mustard Ketchup, its a gamechanger

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

Worcestershire Sauce or Hendersons Relish on 07:44 - May 24 with 1028 viewsChurchman

Worcestershire Sauce or Hendersons Relish on 07:43 - May 24 by mutters

Thanks. I’ll try that.
Worcestershire Sauce or Hendersons Relish on 07:44 - May 24 with 1027 viewsNthYorkshireBlue

I like to mix them together. Has a sweet but slightly salty taste. Pure sophistication. I’ve taken to calling it Gentleman’s Relish.
Worcestershire Sauce or Hendersons Relish on 07:49 - May 24 with 995 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Thousand Island dressing on your prawn cocktail is a game changer.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Worcestershire Sauce or Hendersons Relish on 08:02 - May 24 with 976 viewsbrogansnose

Anyway, and this is a Leeds / Northern thing, a warmed up pork pie that has had a hole made in the top so that Worcestershire sauce can be poured in and is then surrounded by mushy peas. I've got to admit that I wasn't too keen before trying it but it does work.

Its good that , as a nation, we seek out new ingredients to add depth of flavour to recipes but sauces and relishes like those you mention often go overlooked.

I'll buy some Hendersons later as well as some Mushroom sauce.
Worcestershire Sauce or Hendersons Relish on 08:15 - May 24 with 949 viewsjontysnut

Worcestershire Sauce or Hendersons Relish on 07:43 - May 24 by mutters

Discovered it a while ago - it is tremendous stuff
Worcestershire Sauce or Hendersons Relish on 08:16 - May 24 with 947 viewsHelp

Worcestershire
Worcestershire Sauce or Hendersons Relish on 08:19 - May 24 with 934 viewsWhos_blue

I have very fond memories of my nana making me cheese on beans on toast using a proper cut loaf and lashings of butter. This was all the more remarkable as she didn't like the smell of cooked cheese, but did it for me anyway.
Oh. And the topping? Daddies Ok fruity sauce.
Just perfect.

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

Login to get fewer ads

Worcestershire Sauce or Hendersons Relish on 08:42 - May 24 with 891 viewsjontysnut

Some sweary lyrics in this from Sheffield's finest

Worcestershire Sauce or Hendersons Relish on 08:44 - May 24 with 890 viewssticklegs

I have both in the cupboard and thought they were equivalent. until I did a taste off!
Worcester sauce is actually far superior. Hendersons also contains artificial sweeteners which is a shame.
Worcestershire Sauce or Hendersons Relish on 09:04 - May 24 with 860 viewsEdwardStone

Mrs Tabb was very partial to Jay's Fluid

Allegedly
Worcestershire Sauce or Hendersons Relish on 10:02 - May 24 with 803 viewsWickwar_Blue

I don’t have anything to add other than I found this genuinely interesting and informative. Thank you. Much preferable to another post about our manager going to FC Sloga Doboj/EB Streymur etc etc….
[Post edited 24 May 10:03]
Worcestershire Sauce or Hendersons Relish on 10:05 - May 24 with 779 viewsSwansea_Blue

Worcestershire Sauce or Hendersons Relish on 07:44 - May 24 by NthYorkshireBlue

I like to mix them together. Has a sweet but slightly salty taste. Pure sophistication. I’ve taken to calling it Gentleman’s Relish.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Worcestershire Sauce or Hendersons Relish on 11:06 - May 24 with 729 viewsmylittletown

Geo Watkins Mushroom Ketchup. Obviously different, being made from mushrooms, but definitely in the same ball game as Lea and Perrins.
Worcestershire Sauce or Hendersons Relish on 16:42 - May 24 with 631 viewsChurchman

One of my favourites is Sweet Chilli Sauce. It’s a real banger. The Blue Dragon version is the best, but the Aldi version is a lot cheaper and not a million miles off it.

Sweet Chilli sauce goes with just about everything, including chips and baked potatoes.
Worcestershire Sauce or Hendersons Relish on 16:45 - May 24 with 619 viewshoppy

Worcestershire Sauce or Hendersons Relish on 09:04 - May 24 by EdwardStone

Allegedly

To be fair, it is good.

Supposedly.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Worcestershire Sauce or Hendersons Relish on 16:52 - May 24 with 603 viewsjontysnut

Worcestershire Sauce or Hendersons Relish on 09:04 - May 24 by EdwardStone

Allegedly

She couldn't get enough of Jay Spearing
Worcestershire Sauce or Hendersons Relish on 17:54 - May 24 with 568 viewswkj

I cook with Henderson's Relish all the time, but when it comes to cheese on toast - there is no substitute to Worcestershire sauce.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024