Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rishi Sunak using his profile/platform to positive effect here. 21:56 - Sep 19 with 2892 viewsDubtractor

Former PM Rishi Sunak in the Sunday Times challenges the rise of ethno-nationalism in British politics, as an argument within the right about Britishness being about ancestry, DNA and ethnicity www.thetimes.com/article/e89d...

— Sunder Katwala (sundersays) (@sundersays.bsky.social) 2026-09-19T18:17:38.130Z


Sunak's says his inclination was to ignore the argunent that he couldnt be English because he was brown & Hindu [as attention-seeking] but he recognises it should be addressed, about British civic citizenship ane identity & also about the case for an inclusive English identity too.

— Sunder Katwala (sundersays) (@sundersays.bsky.social) 2026-09-19T18:20:55.450Z
[Post edited 19 Sep 21:57]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: Are we gonna win tomorrow then?

3
Rishi Sunak using his profile/platform to positive effect here. on 23:36 - Sep 19 with 2143 viewsbaxterbasics

I'm pretty sure it was Suella Braverman on TImes Radio the other day (I missed the start/introduction) that I heard insisting she was British, through citizenship, but that she could never be English, because it is an ethnicity.

zip
Poll: Who will win the World Cup golden boot?

0
Rishi Sunak using his profile/platform to positive effect here. on 23:49 - Sep 19 with 2111 viewsredrickstuhaart

Dear Rishi,

You encouraged this mindset and gave it cover and comfort. For electoral gain.

You are culpable and a traitor to immigrant communities.

Poll: Will the US Mid terms get cancelled or "postponed"?

-5
Rishi Sunak using his profile/platform to positive effect here. on 07:20 - Sep 20 with 1869 viewsGlasgowBlue

Rishi Sunak using his profile/platform to positive effect here. on 23:49 - Sep 19 by redrickstuhaart

Dear Rishi,

You encouraged this mindset and gave it cover and comfort. For electoral gain.

You are culpable and a traitor to immigrant communities.


What an absolutely disgusting comment. What right does a white middle aged man have to basically accuse a person of colour of being an “uncle Tom”. You should rethink and edit.
[Post edited 20 Sep 14:13]

Sometimes I think about the frothing lunatics I’ve put on ignore, who will have kept replying to me again and again, but I don’t even realise they exist.
Poll: If we are promoted you can take only one of these ex players back
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

0
Rishi Sunak using his profile/platform to positive effect here. on 07:39 - Sep 20 with 1844 viewsDubtractor

Rishi Sunak using his profile/platform to positive effect here. on 07:20 - Sep 20 by GlasgowBlue

What an absolutely disgusting comment. What right does a white middle aged man have to basically accuse a person of colour of being an “uncle Tom”. You should rethink and edit.
[Post edited 20 Sep 14:13]


Tbf that second sentence from Redrick isn't incorrect, though I always thought you could sense Sunak wincing whenever he talked about it as PM, as though he knew it was wrong. Agree that the last sentence is less good though.....

Good that he is using his profile to right that now, though.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: Are we gonna win tomorrow then?

0
Rishi Sunak using his profile/platform to positive effect here. on 07:46 - Sep 20 with 1816 viewsGlasgowBlue

Rishi Sunak using his profile/platform to positive effect here. on 07:39 - Sep 20 by Dubtractor

Tbf that second sentence from Redrick isn't incorrect, though I always thought you could sense Sunak wincing whenever he talked about it as PM, as though he knew it was wrong. Agree that the last sentence is less good though.....

Good that he is using his profile to right that now, though.


A person from a position of white privilege calling somebody a race traitor is unacceptable imo. No issue if people from his own community did so.

Sometimes I think about the frothing lunatics I’ve put on ignore, who will have kept replying to me again and again, but I don’t even realise they exist.
Poll: If we are promoted you can take only one of these ex players back
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

0
Rishi Sunak using his profile/platform to positive effect here. on 07:50 - Sep 20 with 1817 viewsPlums

Rishi Sunak using his profile/platform to positive effect here. on 07:46 - Sep 20 by GlasgowBlue

A person from a position of white privilege calling somebody a race traitor is unacceptable imo. No issue if people from his own community did so.


I'm unaware of the identify of all bar a handful of posters on here. Are you certain that poster is a middle aged white male?

Edit:
Of course it is good that Sunak is using his platform to address these very real issues. However he is completely responsible for the "Stop the Boats" dogwhistle - whilst doing very little to actually achieve that outcome. Emboldening racists isn't without consequences.
[Post edited 20 Sep 8:48]

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

2
Rishi Sunak using his profile/platform to positive effect here. on 08:31 - Sep 20 with 1720 viewsnrb1985

Rishi Sunak using his profile/platform to positive effect here. on 23:36 - Sep 19 by baxterbasics

I'm pretty sure it was Suella Braverman on TImes Radio the other day (I missed the start/introduction) that I heard insisting she was British, through citizenship, but that she could never be English, because it is an ethnicity.


Pleased to hear that she’s focussed on the real issues facing our country and how to solve them.

If we can just nail down these exact definitions and get agreement then things should really start to turn around for us…
0
Rishi Sunak using his profile/platform to positive effect here. on 09:37 - Sep 20 with 1587 viewsMattinLondon

Rishi Sunak using his profile/platform to positive effect here. on 23:49 - Sep 19 by redrickstuhaart

Dear Rishi,

You encouraged this mindset and gave it cover and comfort. For electoral gain.

You are culpable and a traitor to immigrant communities.


I find the whole ‘race traitor’ line to be an awful thing to say. It’s similar to when prominent Jewish politicians face similar labels when they dare to criticise Israel. Leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.

Black and Asian people (as well as other ethnic minorities in this country) are also opposed to illegal immigration and want to see those small boats stopped.

Saying that I did think that whilst in office, Sunak did play to the Reform mob which in turn contributed to a much more hostile environment but his skin colour shouldn’t be relevant here. He’s a Tory politician on the right of that party - that’s what they do.
1
Login to get fewer ads

Rishi Sunak using his profile/platform to positive effect here. on 10:09 - Sep 20 with 1532 viewsMullet

Rishi Sunak using his profile/platform to positive effect here. on 09:37 - Sep 20 by MattinLondon

I find the whole ‘race traitor’ line to be an awful thing to say. It’s similar to when prominent Jewish politicians face similar labels when they dare to criticise Israel. Leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.

Black and Asian people (as well as other ethnic minorities in this country) are also opposed to illegal immigration and want to see those small boats stopped.

Saying that I did think that whilst in office, Sunak did play to the Reform mob which in turn contributed to a much more hostile environment but his skin colour shouldn’t be relevant here. He’s a Tory politician on the right of that party - that’s what they do.


I don’t think anyone here who is classed as white can really level it accurately or in good conscience. But you can point out how certain ethnic minority politicians hid behind their wealth/ status and allowed for the kind of explosion in racism and fascism we see today.

I always thought Rishi was a spineless prick who was pretty useless, but I can also see why people are pointing out this sort of statement rings hollow now he’s not in the big seat of power where it could have had an effect.

That said it’s undeniable that people like Suella are as cruel and stupid as they are hypocritical. She is the most prominent of that category of political figures who seem to despise anyone else with her background wanting to get on in life. Whether that’s because it threatens her votes or the fact she’s a vile woman probably doesn’t matter does it?

Poll: Which itfc kit do you usually buy
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

0
Rishi Sunak using his profile/platform to positive effect here. on 10:17 - Sep 20 with 1523 viewsredrickstuhaart

Rishi Sunak using his profile/platform to positive effect here. on 09:37 - Sep 20 by MattinLondon

I find the whole ‘race traitor’ line to be an awful thing to say. It’s similar to when prominent Jewish politicians face similar labels when they dare to criticise Israel. Leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.

Black and Asian people (as well as other ethnic minorities in this country) are also opposed to illegal immigration and want to see those small boats stopped.

Saying that I did think that whilst in office, Sunak did play to the Reform mob which in turn contributed to a much more hostile environment but his skin colour shouldn’t be relevant here. He’s a Tory politician on the right of that party - that’s what they do.


I didn't mention skin colour.

I was talking about immigrants.

But your final para makes the point.

He is now coming out with comments like that in the OP. I find the inherent hypocrisy astounding, given his role in a government which promoted the ideas and atmosphere which he is complaining about.

Poll: Will the US Mid terms get cancelled or "postponed"?

0
Rishi Sunak using his profile/platform to positive effect here. on 11:35 - Sep 20 with 1407 viewsHiphopopotamus

Yes, this is an incredibly principled stand from a man, who whilst PM, had policies like the Rwanda plan and rhetoric like Stop The Boats. And who talked about enemies weaponising immigration to overwhelming and invasion-level amounts. He’s a real hero in the fight against xenophobia.
0
Rishi Sunak using his profile/platform to positive effect here. on 12:22 - Sep 20 with 1274 viewsTrequartista

Rishi Sunak using his profile/platform to positive effect here. on 23:36 - Sep 19 by baxterbasics

I'm pretty sure it was Suella Braverman on TImes Radio the other day (I missed the start/introduction) that I heard insisting she was British, through citizenship, but that she could never be English, because it is an ethnicity.


This is it. It's confusing (but not that confusing) that there is ethnicity and nationality. Sunak's nationality is English and British, his ethnicity is British Hindu. There is no English Hindu when you tick your ethnicity on a form, or at least there wasn't when this question arose, I have seen it pop up since, perhaps as a result of this issue.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

0
Rishi Sunak using his profile/platform to positive effect here. on 12:23 - Sep 20 with 1266 viewsTrequartista

Rishi Sunak using his profile/platform to positive effect here. on 23:49 - Sep 19 by redrickstuhaart

Dear Rishi,

You encouraged this mindset and gave it cover and comfort. For electoral gain.

You are culpable and a traitor to immigrant communities.


Go on, say he is far right, you know you want to.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

-1
Rishi Sunak using his profile/platform to positive effect here. on 12:29 - Sep 20 with 1230 viewsnrb1985

Rishi Sunak using his profile/platform to positive effect here. on 12:22 - Sep 20 by Trequartista

This is it. It's confusing (but not that confusing) that there is ethnicity and nationality. Sunak's nationality is English and British, his ethnicity is British Hindu. There is no English Hindu when you tick your ethnicity on a form, or at least there wasn't when this question arose, I have seen it pop up since, perhaps as a result of this issue.


🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Who gives a fck?! Literally utterly fcking irrelevant in the context of the challenges the country faces.

You say “this is it” as if she’s some kind of genius who’s struck upon something. As opposed to the talentless thicko she’s proven herself to be over and over again - which is why she comes out with this culture wars guff.
4
Rishi Sunak using his profile/platform to positive effect here. on 12:31 - Sep 20 with 1204 viewsbartyg

Would've been nice if he'd have voiced some of this when he was PM

FREE ISRAEL FROM THE IDF

0
Rishi Sunak using his profile/platform to positive effect here. on 12:35 - Sep 20 with 1178 viewsTrequartista

Rishi Sunak using his profile/platform to positive effect here. on 12:29 - Sep 20 by nrb1985

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Who gives a fck?! Literally utterly fcking irrelevant in the context of the challenges the country faces.

You say “this is it” as if she’s some kind of genius who’s struck upon something. As opposed to the talentless thicko she’s proven herself to be over and over again - which is why she comes out with this culture wars guff.


So much playing the (wo)man instead of the ball there I can't even tell if you agree or disagree with the point.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

0
Rishi Sunak using his profile/platform to positive effect here. on 12:54 - Sep 20 with 1112 viewsredrickstuhaart

Rishi Sunak using his profile/platform to positive effect here. on 12:23 - Sep 20 by Trequartista

Go on, say he is far right, you know you want to.


What?

Poll: Will the US Mid terms get cancelled or "postponed"?

0
Rishi Sunak using his profile/platform to positive effect here. on 13:24 - Sep 20 with 1055 viewsnrb1985

Rishi Sunak using his profile/platform to positive effect here. on 12:35 - Sep 20 by Trequartista

So much playing the (wo)man instead of the ball there I can't even tell if you agree or disagree with the point.


Its not playing the man is it because this is her entire MO - culture wars nonsense to distract from the utterly lamentable job she and the previous government did.

As for whether I agree or disagree - when I think about my country its generally to do with things like AI, energy and resource security, deteriorating demographics and how we solve these types of problems.

Can honestly say I've never stopped to consider what's english, what the definition of woman is or indeed any other dog sht her people like her spwew up.
2
Rishi Sunak using his profile/platform to positive effect here. on 13:35 - Sep 20 with 1023 viewsDubtractor

Rishi Sunak using his profile/platform to positive effect here. on 12:31 - Sep 20 by bartyg

Would've been nice if he'd have voiced some of this when he was PM


Absolutely, and i touch on that in an earlier comment. Better that he's got here now though, and using his platform to make the point.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: Are we gonna win tomorrow then?

1
Rishi Sunak using his profile/platform to positive effect here. on 13:40 - Sep 20 with 986 viewsTrequartista

Rishi Sunak using his profile/platform to positive effect here. on 13:24 - Sep 20 by nrb1985

Its not playing the man is it because this is her entire MO - culture wars nonsense to distract from the utterly lamentable job she and the previous government did.

As for whether I agree or disagree - when I think about my country its generally to do with things like AI, energy and resource security, deteriorating demographics and how we solve these types of problems.

Can honestly say I've never stopped to consider what's english, what the definition of woman is or indeed any other dog sht her people like her spwew up.


I'm not talking about Suella Braverman, someone I happen to agree with very little on, I'm making a point about the "English" point already being discussed in the thread. It is you that have taken it far away from the point and turned it into a "culture war" discussion

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

0
Rishi Sunak using his profile/platform to positive effect here. on 13:43 - Sep 20 with 954 viewsnrb1985

Rishi Sunak using his profile/platform to positive effect here. on 13:40 - Sep 20 by Trequartista

I'm not talking about Suella Braverman, someone I happen to agree with very little on, I'm making a point about the "English" point already being discussed in the thread. It is you that have taken it far away from the point and turned it into a "culture war" discussion


What do you think the point about english heritage is if not culture wars?!
0
Rishi Sunak using his profile/platform to positive effect here. on 13:49 - Sep 20 with 934 viewsTrequartista

Rishi Sunak using his profile/platform to positive effect here. on 13:43 - Sep 20 by nrb1985

What do you think the point about english heritage is if not culture wars?!


I'm not really interested in culture wars and what they may or may not be. It just seems to be a default phrase used by people not wanting to address an argument. I'm simply making a point about ethnicity and nationality, not about any wider context.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

0
Rishi Sunak using his profile/platform to positive effect here. on 13:50 - Sep 20 with 924 viewsredrickstuhaart

Rishi Sunak using his profile/platform to positive effect here. on 13:49 - Sep 20 by Trequartista

I'm not really interested in culture wars and what they may or may not be. It just seems to be a default phrase used by people not wanting to address an argument. I'm simply making a point about ethnicity and nationality, not about any wider context.


Its an utter non point, and has no bearing whatsoever on the issues raised in this thread.

Poll: Will the US Mid terms get cancelled or "postponed"?

0
Rishi Sunak using his profile/platform to positive effect here. on 14:25 - Sep 20 with 845 viewsTrequartista

Rishi Sunak using his profile/platform to positive effect here. on 13:50 - Sep 20 by redrickstuhaart

Its an utter non point, and has no bearing whatsoever on the issues raised in this thread.


Apart from, of course, the one I directly replied to.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

0
Rishi Sunak using his profile/platform to positive effect here. on 22:32 - Sep 20 with 648 viewsbalcombeblue

Rishi Sunak using his profile/platform to positive effect here. on 14:25 - Sep 20 by Trequartista

Apart from, of course, the one I directly replied to.


The Rwanda scheme (or its like), is not exclusive to Britain. Similar types of scheme have/are being adopted by a number of European countries.

I was never really sold on the idea, on a cost basis, but I am not sure how it can be deemed 'racist'. The courts didn't come to that conclusion did they?
0
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Online Safety Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2026