Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How many of you responsible parents would allow your daughter to get a moped? 19:04 - Sep 28 with 1747 viewsredrickstuhaart

Nearly 17. Doesn't want a car (for autism related reasons, doesn't think she could cope with one- primarily because arriving at a situation on a country lane whereby someone had to reverse etc would reduce her to tears with anxiety...).

School about 5 miles away.

Poll: Will the US Mid terms get cancelled or "postponed"?

0
How many of you responsible parents would allow your daughter to get a moped? on 19:13 - Sep 28 with 1495 viewsDJR

Not sure it is a gender issue, unless one takes the view that a 17 year old girl would be less likely to be reckless than a boy of her age. And it may depend on where you live and how bad the traffic is.

I had one when I was 16, fifty years ago but the roads were far less busy then. But it was great for getting around Ipswich and even venturing further afield.

These days, where I live, I am not sure I would fancy being on a moped on the very busy and narrow road to the centre of town.
0
How many of you responsible parents would allow your daughter to get a moped? on 19:18 - Sep 28 with 1477 viewsredrickstuhaart

How many of you responsible parents would allow your daughter to get a moped? on 19:13 - Sep 28 by DJR

Not sure it is a gender issue, unless one takes the view that a 17 year old girl would be less likely to be reckless than a boy of her age. And it may depend on where you live and how bad the traffic is.

I had one when I was 16, fifty years ago but the roads were far less busy then. But it was great for getting around Ipswich and even venturing further afield.

These days, where I live, I am not sure I would fancy being on a moped on the very busy and narrow road to the centre of town.


I didn't make gender an issue. If it had been my son it would said that instead.

Its not that busy a town, but there are country lanes to get there which terrify me.

Poll: Will the US Mid terms get cancelled or "postponed"?

0
How many of you responsible parents would allow your daughter to get a moped? on 19:24 - Sep 28 with 1431 viewsstrikalite

How many of you responsible parents would allow your daughter to get a moped? on 19:18 - Sep 28 by redrickstuhaart

I didn't make gender an issue. If it had been my son it would said that instead.

Its not that busy a town, but there are country lanes to get there which terrify me.


Lads generally take more risks no doubt, if she's been out and about on the roads with her bike and she's pretty road aware I'd be less concerned...
0
How many of you responsible parents would allow your daughter to get a moped? on 19:34 - Sep 28 with 1385 viewsDJR

How many of you responsible parents would allow your daughter to get a moped? on 19:18 - Sep 28 by redrickstuhaart

I didn't make gender an issue. If it had been my son it would said that instead.

Its not that busy a town, but there are country lanes to get there which terrify me.


Apologies. I was meaning more that a parent would likely worry come what may if a 17 year old of theirs wanted a moped.

In my day, I don't think that my parents would have worried one bit because traffic wasn't really an issue.

And I agree that country lanes are a bit of a worry. Another factor one has to take into account in winter is the possibility of ice, not great on two wheels. There were certainly occasions when I had to go slowly and put both feet down. And one occasion I went over on black ice, fortunately just outside my house,
[Post edited 28 Sep 19:45]
0
How many of you responsible parents would allow your daughter to get a moped? on 19:37 - Sep 28 with 1366 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

I wouldn't. Sorry if that's not the answer that she wants to hear.

I used to be a very experienced motorcyclist, I raced bikes at a fairly high level. I last rode a bike 30 years ago, and was knocked off by a car turning right that just looked straight through me. Fortunately I recovered ok, but it was impossible for me to avoid that collision.

A very dear friend who was incredibly experienced and sensible, and a father of two, was commuting home on his bike 25 years ago and hit a patch of ice on Potters Bridge outside Reydon - skidded into an oncoming car and was tragically killed. I miss him.

There are so many dreadful and drugged up car drivers, and the volume of traffic so high now. I just think the risks are so, so high, and I couldn't let my offspring take those risks.

Its a shame, I loved the years I rode a bike, both on road and track, but it's a different world now.

Poll: would you rather

3
How many of you responsible parents would allow your daughter to get a moped? on 19:39 - Sep 28 with 1359 viewsGodzilla

Maybe some motorcycle training first would give her the chance to see if she’s cut out for it or not. Many places have their own small cc bikes for use, and hopefully you could find one that understands autism a bit too. Good luck with whatever you both decide to do.
0
How many of you responsible parents would allow your daughter to get a moped? on 19:45 - Sep 28 with 1338 viewsredrickstuhaart

How many of you responsible parents would allow your daughter to get a moped? on 19:34 - Sep 28 by DJR

Apologies. I was meaning more that a parent would likely worry come what may if a 17 year old of theirs wanted a moped.

In my day, I don't think that my parents would have worried one bit because traffic wasn't really an issue.

And I agree that country lanes are a bit of a worry. Another factor one has to take into account in winter is the possibility of ice, not great on two wheels. There were certainly occasions when I had to go slowly and put both feet down. And one occasion I went over on black ice, fortunately just outside my house,
[Post edited 28 Sep 19:45]


She can get lifts more in Winter. Just wish she'd drive a car tbh

Poll: Will the US Mid terms get cancelled or "postponed"?

0
How many of you responsible parents would allow your daughter to get a moped? on 19:49 - Sep 28 with 1312 viewsDJR

How many of you responsible parents would allow your daughter to get a moped? on 19:45 - Sep 28 by redrickstuhaart

She can get lifts more in Winter. Just wish she'd drive a car tbh


Is there not a longer way that didn't involve having to reverse?

Or could her lessons get her used in particular to narrower roads, aided by the presence of an instructor?
0
Login to get fewer ads

How many of you responsible parents would allow your daughter to get a moped? on 19:51 - Sep 28 with 1303 viewsSarge

I had one at 16 to ride to school which was about 5 miles away. Had to do a CBT course which helped get some road experience. Made it so much easier when I came to do my driving test 3 years later, already had all the road experience just had to learn how to operate the car.
1
How many of you responsible parents would allow your daughter to get a moped? on 19:52 - Sep 28 with 1300 viewsredrickstuhaart

How many of you responsible parents would allow your daughter to get a moped? on 19:49 - Sep 28 by DJR

Is there not a longer way that didn't involve having to reverse?

Or could her lessons get her used in particular to narrower roads, aided by the presence of an instructor?


Its the prospect of those situations- not a particular road. She has convinced herself, rightly or wrongly, that she will never be able to drive.

It may be, of course, that 18 months on a moped increases her confidence and changes that- though I am told a large proportion of autistic people don't drive.

There is also the fact that in a year's time we couldn't stop her anyway as shell be 18- though she might need funds...

Poll: Will the US Mid terms get cancelled or "postponed"?

0
How many of you responsible parents would allow your daughter to get a moped? on 20:14 - Sep 28 with 1253 viewsDJR

How many of you responsible parents would allow your daughter to get a moped? on 19:52 - Sep 28 by redrickstuhaart

Its the prospect of those situations- not a particular road. She has convinced herself, rightly or wrongly, that she will never be able to drive.

It may be, of course, that 18 months on a moped increases her confidence and changes that- though I am told a large proportion of autistic people don't drive.

There is also the fact that in a year's time we couldn't stop her anyway as shell be 18- though she might need funds...


I feel for you. It's a very difficult situation.
0
How many of you responsible parents would allow your daughter to get a moped? on 20:15 - Sep 28 with 1249 viewsHairBearBunch

I remain convinced that having a moped first is of great benefit when moving on to a car and might instil some level of confidence to that end.
As someone wrote above - how is she on a bicycle ? Think that would be a big factor if i was faced with that decision.
1
How many of you responsible parents would allow your daughter to get a moped? on 20:33 - Sep 28 with 1207 viewsredrickstuhaart

How many of you responsible parents would allow your daughter to get a moped? on 20:15 - Sep 28 by HairBearBunch

I remain convinced that having a moped first is of great benefit when moving on to a car and might instil some level of confidence to that end.
As someone wrote above - how is she on a bicycle ? Think that would be a big factor if i was faced with that decision.


Hasn't ridden it much for years, but she's bright and sensible (though sometimes fearless. Tough tackling centre back who never backed out of anything when she was playing). Its the other muppets on the road one worries about.

Poll: Will the US Mid terms get cancelled or "postponed"?

1
How many of you responsible parents would allow your daughter to get a moped? on 21:26 - Sep 28 with 1102 viewsmellowblue

Being flippant, buy her a very narrow car.
Ordinarily it is easy to buy driving lessons to turn minds away from mopeds and onto cars, but this does not work here. Don't envy you this situation, does not seem to be a solution that does not involve a moped . Thankfully my girls would have run a mile if a moped was suggested as their mode of travel.
0
How many of you responsible parents would allow your daughter to get a moped? on 22:04 - Sep 28 with 1030 viewshomer_123

Where's Fergal when you need him?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: Has Omari travelled?

3
How many of you responsible parents would allow your daughter to get a moped? on 22:30 - Sep 28 with 991 viewsbsw72

As long as she was actively learning and showed common sense on the road then not a problem from my side. The issue is rarely the moped rider and more other road users, but you can’t wrap them in bubble wrap and they need to do these things.
1
How many of you responsible parents would allow your daughter to get a moped? on 23:27 - Sep 28 with 896 viewsBondiBlue

How many of you responsible parents would allow your daughter to get a moped? on 19:52 - Sep 28 by redrickstuhaart

Its the prospect of those situations- not a particular road. She has convinced herself, rightly or wrongly, that she will never be able to drive.

It may be, of course, that 18 months on a moped increases her confidence and changes that- though I am told a large proportion of autistic people don't drive.

There is also the fact that in a year's time we couldn't stop her anyway as shell be 18- though she might need funds...


Sounds like my mrs. She finds overtaking cyclists on the bendy road out of our village so stress-inducing she barely drives any more.

I don't know about bikes. I learned to ride a motorbike (a couple of 'lessons' by my enthusiastic but completely unqualified teaching assistant) in ho chi minh city vietnam, which was a different kettle of fish, and somehow survived that. I'd be happy for her to do whatever she feels comfortable with. My daughter (8) has just been diagnosed autistic too and i'm learning that there's not a lot i can do to change her mind once she does/doesn't want to do something!

Poll: Which would you accept?

0
How many of you responsible parents would allow your daughter to get a moped? on 02:02 - Sep 29 with 808 viewsRyorry

Not a parent, but on balance, think I would, on the grounds that a) if you don’t allow, she might take other, potentially more dangerous ways of getting home; b) she could become resentful and rebel in other, different ways; c) if she’s experienced on a bike where she’s also been exposed to road dangers, she’s likely to already have her antennae up and be aware.

I had a moped for getting to work (about 4 miles) when I was 19, the only issue I remember was ribald laughter from housemates at my having to run 200 yards with the bloody machine to get it started every morning, but N. Oxford over 50 years ago was obviously a different kettle of fish to traffic everywhere now.

Poll: Do you find minor cuts & grazes heal better

0
How many of you responsible parents would allow your daughter to get a moped? on 06:10 - Sep 29 with 703 viewstivo

Absolutely, If school is 5 miles away, then I am guessing her friends and other social commitments are too. Give her the freedom at that age and yourself some time back from taxi duties.

I would tell her you are buying the bike and keeping the ownership of it. If she ever drinks and drives then you're selling it, and she's back to busses.

If you're not a Motorbike rider yourself, then do the CBT with her so you understand what they're trained to do on the course in regards to positioning etc. This will mean that you're never (ideally) telling her to do things opposite if what she was taught.

As a motorbike rider myself, I would then say get her on to do her full license (or at least A2). It will mean she can get her L plates off. She will be treated as a proper rider once those are off by motorists, can start building up cheaper insurance and move up to a slightly bigger CC. Moving from a moped to a low cc motorbike is much safer, as that little bit of power is more useful for getting you out of situations.
0
How many of you responsible parents would allow your daughter to get a moped? on 07:38 - Sep 29 with 596 viewsParky

I wouldn’t, a family friend got their daughter one recently to ride to college and within a matter of weeks, she fell off and how has a broken shin bone.
0
How many of you responsible parents would allow your daughter to get a moped? on 07:45 - Sep 29 with 578 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

I would. I did my cbt last weekend (I’m 50) just for a bit of laugh really and it was quite useful. I learnt an awful lot and have decided I will v]be buying a bike.

The other students were all late teens and I think it was a really useful learning tool as well as an opportunity to understand if she would like to continue. As someone has said, if she can ride a bike reasonable well then a moped will provide no challenge.
[Post edited 29 Sep 7:46]
0
How many of you responsible parents would allow your daughter to get a moped? on 10:14 - Sep 29 with 336 viewsstrikalite

How many of you responsible parents would allow your daughter to get a moped? on 19:51 - Sep 28 by Sarge

I had one at 16 to ride to school which was about 5 miles away. Had to do a CBT course which helped get some road experience. Made it so much easier when I came to do my driving test 3 years later, already had all the road experience just had to learn how to operate the car.


Big advantage having had a 50cc too at 16, you gain so much road awareness, I actually bought a moped at 13, stripped it down to the bare and used to ride it around a farmers field, no crash helmet, no suspension, those truly were the days..
0
How many of you responsible parents would allow your daughter to get a moped? on 10:24 - Sep 29 with 325 viewsmutters

Bluntly no.

I've seen too many friends and family get into crashes and scrapes over the years on bikes. I wasn't allowed a moped when I was that age, I really fought against it, was a grumpy teen but now I am grateful.

Sadly it's not about them on the road, it's the other drivers and there are a lot of idiots about

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

0
How many of you responsible parents would allow your daughter to get a moped? on 10:58 - Sep 29 with 282 viewsTIB

Hi Red,

I ride a motorcycle and my insight would be that no matter the distance travelled or the size of the vehicle, riding on two wheels is largely about situational awareness, and being aware at all times.

I’d also say, where coming along a country lane in a car causes anxiety, would a vehicle driving close behind her moped or overtaking closely to her cause similar anxieties?


Food for thought.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

0
How many of you responsible parents would allow your daughter to get a moped? on 10:59 - Sep 29 with 278 viewshsg78

One mistake (her's or another person on the road) and that's most likely it.
0
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Online Safety Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2026