Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone got any good tips to help Sciatica 09:38 - Oct 5 with 1382 viewshype313

This is one painful MF, and debilitating.

Any advice welcome!

Poll: Should Muric be dropped?

0
Anyone got any good tips to help Sciatica on 09:43 - Oct 5 with 1072 viewstonybied

Gabapentin and physio was what really sorted me out when I had a really terrible time of it about 10 years ago.
0
Anyone got any good tips to help Sciatica on 09:50 - Oct 5 with 1049 viewshype313

Anyone got any good tips to help Sciatica on 09:43 - Oct 5 by tonybied

Gabapentin and physio was what really sorted me out when I had a really terrible time of it about 10 years ago.


Cheers Tony, Been to physio which will be ongoing, how long did yours last?

Poll: Should Muric be dropped?

0
Anyone got any good tips to help Sciatica on 09:58 - Oct 5 with 1031 viewsBloomBlue

Had mine earlier this year, and could hardly walk, my Dr gave me a sheet with some exercises on it, followed them and it was better within 4 weeks. Still had some numbness in one leg which lasted another 2 months, but the numbness never stopped me doing anything. But certainly following the exercises was my cure.
0
Anyone got any good tips to help Sciatica on 10:00 - Oct 5 with 1012 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Anyone got any good tips to help Sciatica on 09:43 - Oct 5 by tonybied

Gabapentin and physio was what really sorted me out when I had a really terrible time of it about 10 years ago.


Gabapentin is a bit evil mind you!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: What you watching.

2
Anyone got any good tips to help Sciatica on 10:05 - Oct 5 with 1001 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Anyone got any good tips to help Sciatica on 09:50 - Oct 5 by hype313

Cheers Tony, Been to physio which will be ongoing, how long did yours last?


Feel your pain on this one Hype.

I get it recurrently, after my first bout of it, which I hate to tell you, lasted for 3 years.
Couldn't sit down for more than 10 minutes without being in agony.

Poll: If we were to spend £200m would you rather

0
Anyone got any good tips to help Sciatica on 10:06 - Oct 5 with 998 viewshype313

Anyone got any good tips to help Sciatica on 09:58 - Oct 5 by BloomBlue

Had mine earlier this year, and could hardly walk, my Dr gave me a sheet with some exercises on it, followed them and it was better within 4 weeks. Still had some numbness in one leg which lasted another 2 months, but the numbness never stopped me doing anything. But certainly following the exercises was my cure.


Cheers, my Physio gave me exercises, which I've been doing religiously for a week, so just hoping they start working soon.

Poll: Should Muric be dropped?

0
Anyone got any good tips to help Sciatica on 10:07 - Oct 5 with 992 viewshype313

Anyone got any good tips to help Sciatica on 10:05 - Oct 5 by Cheltenham_Blue

Feel your pain on this one Hype.

I get it recurrently, after my first bout of it, which I hate to tell you, lasted for 3 years.
Couldn't sit down for more than 10 minutes without being in agony.


Yeah, that's my concern! Fingers crossed mine goes away quicker than that, feel your pain!

Poll: Should Muric be dropped?

0
Anyone got any good tips to help Sciatica on 10:13 - Oct 5 with 963 viewsCrockerITFC

I bought a heat and massage belt from Amazon and honestly it works wonders for the acute pain phase. I tend to use the heat function more and I move the belt around to different areas of my back or I sit on it depending on where I get the most relief (back or butt).

Once the pain subsides then physiotherapy is the way forward.
[Post edited 5 Oct 10:15]
1
Login to get fewer ads

Anyone got any good tips to help Sciatica on 10:27 - Oct 5 with 900 viewsiamatractorboy

I've got chronic lower back pain which causes sciatica on occasions. Might be a completely different condition to yours but worth mentioning what I do which helps sometimes. I find decompressing my spine, either by hanging from a bar (you can put something across a loft hatch) or by propping myself up on the inside corner of the kitchen worktop, taking all the weight on my arms through my shoulders, bend my legs at the knee and essentially hanging my legs weightless below. This helps take pressure off the back discs and does seem to help trapped nerves sometimes.
1
Anyone got any good tips to help Sciatica on 10:27 - Oct 5 with 902 viewsSteve_M

My sympathies, it can be very painful. I've had several bouts from two weak points on my back. Sometimes it clears up quickly but the worst one took around 13 months to completely settle.

It's good that you've started physiotherapy for it, not only for the symptomatic relief but also that that is the best route for escalation should that be necessary. Make sure you do the exercises regularly, just moving the nerve helps, and keep us active as you can - just walking a lot has helped with mine over the years.

Sometimes it just takes time though, a consultant showed me on my MRI once where a bit of one disc had herniated and was reducing between scans. Once that went then I was ok again.

Good luck, hopefully in a few weeks time you will be over the worst of it.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

0
Anyone got any good tips to help Sciatica on 10:31 - Oct 5 with 887 viewshype313

Anyone got any good tips to help Sciatica on 10:27 - Oct 5 by Steve_M

My sympathies, it can be very painful. I've had several bouts from two weak points on my back. Sometimes it clears up quickly but the worst one took around 13 months to completely settle.

It's good that you've started physiotherapy for it, not only for the symptomatic relief but also that that is the best route for escalation should that be necessary. Make sure you do the exercises regularly, just moving the nerve helps, and keep us active as you can - just walking a lot has helped with mine over the years.

Sometimes it just takes time though, a consultant showed me on my MRI once where a bit of one disc had herniated and was reducing between scans. Once that went then I was ok again.

Good luck, hopefully in a few weeks time you will be over the worst of it.


Cheers Steve, I'm able to walk, albeit it's painful, but from what I gather, regular short 10 minute walks throughout the day is key, along with stretching.

I initially thought it was my Piriformas as I had a dull ache in there for a while, but Physio said it stems from my lower back which is then referred pain.

I did ask if they could refer it onto someone else.

Poll: Should Muric be dropped?

0
Anyone got any good tips to help Sciatica on 10:31 - Oct 5 with 882 viewsNeedhamMarketKop

I managed to walk mine off, but it took about a month or so, it was really sore and painful at times. Prior to my sciatica, I had a bad back for about 6 weeks, so I assume the two were connected.
0
Anyone got any good tips to help Sciatica on 10:41 - Oct 5 with 834 viewsiamatractorboy

Anyone got any good tips to help Sciatica on 10:13 - Oct 5 by CrockerITFC

I bought a heat and massage belt from Amazon and honestly it works wonders for the acute pain phase. I tend to use the heat function more and I move the belt around to different areas of my back or I sit on it depending on where I get the most relief (back or butt).

Once the pain subsides then physiotherapy is the way forward.
[Post edited 5 Oct 10:15]


+1 for some sort of heat belt. I've got one that you pop a hot water bottle in and it can be a godsend.
0
Anyone got any good tips to help Sciatica on 11:15 - Oct 5 with 759 viewslongtimefan

Anyone got any good tips to help Sciatica on 10:31 - Oct 5 by hype313

Cheers Steve, I'm able to walk, albeit it's painful, but from what I gather, regular short 10 minute walks throughout the day is key, along with stretching.

I initially thought it was my Piriformas as I had a dull ache in there for a while, but Physio said it stems from my lower back which is then referred pain.

I did ask if they could refer it onto someone else.


I had it for quite a time. With mine I couldn't stand for more than 10 mins without my left leg going numb. Had physio for a few months and then spent a fortune on chiropractor visits, all without any beneficial impact. Eventually managed to get the outsourced physio people to refer me for an MRI. When I sat down with the consultant to discuss the results she showed me the images and said I could probably diagnose the problem myself. There was an obvious bulging disc. She said it wasn't going to recover without some sort of intervention, the first step of which was to undergo a spinal injection. Fortunately that worked, as had it not the next step was back surgery.
0
Anyone got any good tips to help Sciatica on 11:18 - Oct 5 with 752 viewshype313

Anyone got any good tips to help Sciatica on 10:31 - Oct 5 by NeedhamMarketKop

I managed to walk mine off, but it took about a month or so, it was really sore and painful at times. Prior to my sciatica, I had a bad back for about 6 weeks, so I assume the two were connected.


Sounds exactly like mine, bad lower back pain for 4-6 weeks then it got isolated to one side, I'm just going to try and walk it off as much as possible.

Failing that, drink through it.

Poll: Should Muric be dropped?

0
Anyone got any good tips to help Sciatica on 11:30 - Oct 5 with 715 viewsblueislander

Anyone got any good tips to help Sciatica on 11:18 - Oct 5 by hype313

Sounds exactly like mine, bad lower back pain for 4-6 weeks then it got isolated to one side, I'm just going to try and walk it off as much as possible.

Failing that, drink through it.


Have you had it scanned. If you have damaged discs physio might not fix it. I first ruptured a disc. When I was 21. About 10 years later I had a really severe bout, and ended up having a laminectomy ( removal of a disc) . This was fine for several years, but another severe bout ended with me having a fusion of hvertebrae with a metal plate and screws inserted in my lower back. So ,do get it checked out properly.
1
Anyone got any good tips to help Sciatica on 11:36 - Oct 5 with 690 viewsEdmundo

Always get it properly checked out and diagnosed. There's underlying causes that need to be ruled out, especially if it's unrelenting and waking you up even with meds/exercises.
If it's not going away, insist on an MRI.

Poll: How many points will we gain between now and January 1st?
Blog: McKenna's Men Part Three: A Bridge Too Far?

1
Anyone got any good tips to help Sciatica on 11:45 - Oct 5 with 652 viewsPinewoodblue

Anyone got any good tips to help Sciatica on 11:18 - Oct 5 by hype313

Sounds exactly like mine, bad lower back pain for 4-6 weeks then it got isolated to one side, I'm just going to try and walk it off as much as possible.

Failing that, drink through it.


This time last year I had back pain and was advised to self refer for physiotherapy.

Turned out to be Prostate Cancer. If you are over 40 get yourself tested. Only on my third approach to NHS did an out of hours doctor suspect Prostate.

Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

2
Anyone got any good tips to help Sciatica on 11:53 - Oct 5 with 636 viewsitfcjoe

Alongside physio and their exercises....I found I needed a cricket ball in my car so could put that under my bum/leg at times when driving to relieve pressure - takes some adjustment and getting comfy but worth it for long journeys or on days when it is playing up

As many deep tissue massages as you can stomach, my parents have an expensive massage chair and I'd try and pop round and have one most days to bring it in as best as I could

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

1
Anyone got any good tips to help Sciatica on 11:55 - Oct 5 with 630 viewsBury_St_Emersonn

best excercise/stretch

lie on back

pull left knee up to right shoulder
then
pull right knee up to left shoulder

best painkiller - zapain

best "advice" walk as normally as possible despite the discomfort
0
Anyone got any good tips to help Sciatica on 12:05 - Oct 5 with 598 viewsGeomorph

Might sound odd to you right now… but regular walking as well as physio exercises sorted mine out a couple of years back …
1
Anyone got any good tips to help Sciatica on 12:55 - Oct 5 with 460 viewshype313

Anyone got any good tips to help Sciatica on 11:30 - Oct 5 by blueislander

Have you had it scanned. If you have damaged discs physio might not fix it. I first ruptured a disc. When I was 21. About 10 years later I had a really severe bout, and ended up having a laminectomy ( removal of a disc) . This was fine for several years, but another severe bout ended with me having a fusion of hvertebrae with a metal plate and screws inserted in my lower back. So ,do get it checked out properly.


Going for a scan on Thursday, so hopefully they'll be able to identify main issue.

Poll: Should Muric be dropped?

0
Anyone got any good tips to help Sciatica on 12:56 - Oct 5 with 447 viewshype313

Anyone got any good tips to help Sciatica on 11:53 - Oct 5 by itfcjoe

Alongside physio and their exercises....I found I needed a cricket ball in my car so could put that under my bum/leg at times when driving to relieve pressure - takes some adjustment and getting comfy but worth it for long journeys or on days when it is playing up

As many deep tissue massages as you can stomach, my parents have an expensive massage chair and I'd try and pop round and have one most days to bring it in as best as I could


Yep, I'm booked in for one this week, not overly looking forward to it, also got a spiky ball which I use throughout the day.

Poll: Should Muric be dropped?

0
Anyone got any good tips to help Sciatica on 12:58 - Oct 5 with 420 viewsDaninthecampo

What really helped me:
Physio exercises
Foam roller
Acupuncture
Diazepam
Weed( if that's your kind of thing)

If you're a masochist use an end of biro pen!
2
Anyone got any good tips to help Sciatica on 13:40 - Oct 5 with 349 viewsDubtractor

I'm another long term sufferer of back pain, with sciatica being a particular problem in the last 2 years. Serious pins and needles and numbness through my hip and right down my leg.

Have had loads of physio, chiropractor visits, and also a recent mri scan.

I'd advise against wasting money on chiropractor if I'm honest. 2 separate ones I've seen that, on reflection, were doing nothing to help but offer promises of a fix.

I'm unable to sit for more than 10 minutes without it being uncomfortable, which isn't much fun seeing as I'm a desk worker. My sciatica is worst on a soft chair, and the conclusion from all my various visits and tests is that whilst I have a weak lower back, the sciatica (or those symptoms) are more likely due to piriformis issues.

If my bum and lower back need to work when I'm sitting i have problems, whereas sitting on a hard seat, like a wooden bench, is fine.

I do lots of stretches and Strengthening exercises, which help, but don't seem to really fix the underlying issue. The more active I am the better though, cycling and playing football (when I'm not injured) definitely help ease the sciatica. A few 'nerve flossing' stretches a good for relief too.

It's really noticeable how many people of around my age are suffering with back issues though, where 30 years of sitting at a desk has had cumulative impacts that are really tough to unpick.

Sorry, to answer the actual question posed, no not really got any tips, other than to really work hard on the exercises that you get from the physio, and don't soend money on a chiropractor!
[Post edited 5 Oct 13:48]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: Are we gonna win tomorrow then?

0
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Online Safety Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2026