Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Niche computer games from the pre console era 19:00 - Oct 5 with 3659 viewsDubtractor

Because I am old, some of my targeted Facebook content seems to be retro computer games, which does actually bring up some nice stuff.

For those of similarly advanced years, share the obscure/low budget/forgotten games that entertained you before consoles too over.

Here's one from me. Rockstar Ate My Hamster. Sort of like football manager but with pop bands. Had this on the spectrum 128k, but also played a lot on a mates Atari ST.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: Are we gonna win tomorrow then?

7
Niche computer games from the pre console era on 19:06 - Oct 5 with 1797 viewsBasuco

Prince of Persia is my favourite.
3
Niche computer games from the pre console era on 19:08 - Oct 5 with 1792 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Bombjack. I slayed at that game.

Grav 2. Really basic graphics, addictive. Never played Grav 1.

Anything leisure suit Larry, not that I eve got very far, story of my life.

Poll: Where will Town finish the season?

4
Niche computer games from the pre console era on 19:18 - Oct 5 with 1749 viewsBugs

Boffin on my Acorn Electron

I put so many hours into that game as a kid and never got past what I presumed was the last level.
1
Niche computer games from the pre console era on 19:19 - Oct 5 with 1742 viewsredrickstuhaart

The finest 8 bit game ever was Chaos.

Big shout outs to Quazatron and Renegade.

My new KS3 Spectrum Next should be shipping soon...



[Post edited 5 Oct 19:26]

Poll: Spectrum or C64 / Pablo or Kuqi- your preferences?

3
Niche computer games from the pre console era on 19:20 - Oct 5 with 1739 viewssohamblue74

Great shout.
I loved playing Rockstar Ate My Hamster on ZX Spectrum.
Never managed to get a #1 single though.
1
Niche computer games from the pre console era on 19:26 - Oct 5 with 1715 viewsWeWereZombies

Hampstead is a satirical text adventure game released for the Sinclair ZX Spectrum in 1984 by publisher Melbourne House.

• Premise: Players start with a dole check in a filthy, run-down council flat in northwest London on a Thursday.
• Objective: Climb the British social ladder by getting dressed, signing on for unemployment benefits, securing a high-paying city job, wooing a model, and ultimately buying a house on Hampstead Heath

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/

I never got out of Harlesden...

Poll: To make him more acceptable what should Gary O'Neill change his middle name to ?

3
Niche computer games from the pre console era on 19:26 - Oct 5 with 1716 viewsPique

Daley Thompson's Supertest on the Spectrum was my first ever game, complete with a bizarre penalty shootout challenge for some reason.

Double Dragon, Bubble Bobble, Outrun, Shinobi, Bad Dudes v Dragon Ninja in the arcades, great days.

On the PC, not exactly obscure, but The Secret of Monkey Island is an all-time favourite.
2
Niche computer games from the pre console era on 19:28 - Oct 5 with 1708 viewsbluester

I remember buying that game for the title alone.

Not really niche but great low key games - Skool Daze, Super Scramble, Auf Wiedersehen Monty, Dynamite Dan.
0
Login to get fewer ads

Niche computer games from the pre console era on 19:28 - Oct 5 with 1705 viewsredrickstuhaart

Niche computer games from the pre console era on 19:28 - Oct 5 by bluester

I remember buying that game for the title alone.

Not really niche but great low key games - Skool Daze, Super Scramble, Auf Wiedersehen Monty, Dynamite Dan.


A brand new Monty game is out soon....

Poll: Spectrum or C64 / Pablo or Kuqi- your preferences?

1
Niche computer games from the pre console era on 19:31 - Oct 5 with 1694 viewsbsw72

Match Day and then Match Day 2 on the specie, original 48k rubber keys. Moved onto an Atari 520 STFM which I still have, and had kick off, still one of my fave ever footy games.

Non footy my fave was Rigel’s Revenge from Mastertronic, remember when games were £1.99?
[Post edited 5 Oct 19:33]
1
Niche computer games from the pre console era on 19:35 - Oct 5 with 1663 viewsbluester

Niche computer games from the pre console era on 19:28 - Oct 5 by redrickstuhaart

A brand new Monty game is out soon....


Oh wow! on the consoles?
0
Niche computer games from the pre console era on 19:38 - Oct 5 with 1658 viewssohamblue74

Skool Daze and Monkey Island both a great shout.

I also loved The Boss (or Soccer Boss) and The Oracle's Cave.
Plus Boulderdash and Worms.
2
Niche computer games from the pre console era on 19:45 - Oct 5 with 1643 viewsredrickstuhaart

Niche computer games from the pre console era on 19:35 - Oct 5 by bluester

Oh wow! on the consoles?


Spectrum Next. Though you can probably run it on an emulator.


Poll: Spectrum or C64 / Pablo or Kuqi- your preferences?

1
Niche computer games from the pre console era on 19:49 - Oct 5 with 1628 viewsNthQldITFC

Kick Off 2, Amiga, an overhead view football games was a far better, more playable game than any of the modern 3d rubbish.

Good work by Philogene...... GREAT WORK BY PHILOGENE!!!
Poll: How would you feel about a UK Identity Card?

2
Niche computer games from the pre console era on 19:56 - Oct 5 with 1610 viewsredrickstuhaart

Niche computer games from the pre console era on 19:49 - Oct 5 by NthQldITFC

Kick Off 2, Amiga, an overhead view football games was a far better, more playable game than any of the modern 3d rubbish.


Sorry to kick off the 16 bit equivalent of Pablo and Kuqi.

But Kick off 2 was vastly inferior to Sensible Soccer. It was as clear a choice as Pablo is over Kuqi.

If we are going 16 bit, which isn't really on, Speedball 2 needs a shout.

Poll: Spectrum or C64 / Pablo or Kuqi- your preferences?

4
Niche computer games from the pre console era on 20:04 - Oct 5 with 1583 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix on the Amiga was something else.
Mates and I spent many hours on that.

Poll: If we were to spend £200m would you rather

1
Niche computer games from the pre console era on 20:07 - Oct 5 with 1581 viewsbluester

Niche computer games from the pre console era on 19:56 - Oct 5 by redrickstuhaart

Sorry to kick off the 16 bit equivalent of Pablo and Kuqi.

But Kick off 2 was vastly inferior to Sensible Soccer. It was as clear a choice as Pablo is over Kuqi.

If we are going 16 bit, which isn't really on, Speedball 2 needs a shout.


I preferred Kick Off 2. Sensi was much more popular for some reason.

“Ice cream, ice cream!”
[Post edited 5 Oct 20:07]
4
Niche computer games from the pre console era on 20:08 - Oct 5 with 1565 viewsredrickstuhaart

Niche computer games from the pre console era on 20:07 - Oct 5 by bluester

I preferred Kick Off 2. Sensi was much more popular for some reason.

“Ice cream, ice cream!”
[Post edited 5 Oct 20:07]


Took a bit of playing to get used to Sensi. Once you did though, it was so instinctive and fluid. Really felt like playing football

Poll: Spectrum or C64 / Pablo or Kuqi- your preferences?

0
Niche computer games from the pre console era on 20:23 - Oct 5 with 1521 viewsBugs

Niche computer games from the pre console era on 19:18 - Oct 5 by Bugs

Boffin on my Acorn Electron

I put so many hours into that game as a kid and never got past what I presumed was the last level.


Just found it free to play.

If anyone wants to complete it and do better than 12-year-old me, feel free.

Collect the horseshoes; get to the owl.

https://www.bbcmicro.co.uk/gam
0
Niche computer games from the pre console era on 20:24 - Oct 5 with 1521 viewsCoastalblue

Niche computer games from the pre console era on 20:08 - Oct 5 by redrickstuhaart

Took a bit of playing to get used to Sensi. Once you did though, it was so instinctive and fluid. Really felt like playing football


https://playclassic.games/game

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

0
Niche computer games from the pre console era on 20:27 - Oct 5 with 1519 viewsNthQldITFC

Niche computer games from the pre console era on 20:08 - Oct 5 by redrickstuhaart

Took a bit of playing to get used to Sensi. Once you did though, it was so instinctive and fluid. Really felt like playing football


Kick Off felt instinctive and fluid too, and I if I remember correctly was a bit of a narrower viewport than Sensi which made the players feel a bit more real, and they seemed to have more ability to swerve and bend the ball a bit - hard to put a label on it really. You had to know where your teammates were a bit more than Sensi with its wider view. 5-3-2 was my go to.

Goal (KO3, Dino Dini?) was bit of a wider viewport yet retained the swervability I think.

Goal family = Pablo
Sensi = Kuqi

Good work by Philogene...... GREAT WORK BY PHILOGENE!!!
Poll: How would you feel about a UK Identity Card?

1
Niche computer games from the pre console era on 20:29 - Oct 5 with 1508 viewsNthQldITFC

Niche computer games from the pre console era on 19:56 - Oct 5 by redrickstuhaart

Sorry to kick off the 16 bit equivalent of Pablo and Kuqi.

But Kick off 2 was vastly inferior to Sensible Soccer. It was as clear a choice as Pablo is over Kuqi.

If we are going 16 bit, which isn't really on, Speedball 2 needs a shout.


Was speedball the throwing thing? With body armour like American football without the line ups, stopping and starting and ad breaks?

Yes, that was great!

Good work by Philogene...... GREAT WORK BY PHILOGENE!!!
Poll: How would you feel about a UK Identity Card?

0
Niche computer games from the pre console era on 20:29 - Oct 5 with 1508 viewsnorfsufblue

Used to play a game on commodore 64 called split personalities. Ruddy infuriating game i could never quite master.
0
Niche computer games from the pre console era on 20:34 - Oct 5 with 1488 viewsDanTheMan

Thankfully the age of this sort of game has had a bit of a comeback recently. There are plenty of odd niche games about.

https://store.steampowered.com

https://store.steampowered.com

On topic though, and not strictly pre-console, but the original Discworld game. Incredible voice cast.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

0
Niche computer games from the pre console era on 20:36 - Oct 5 with 1482 viewsDubtractor

Niche computer games from the pre console era on 20:27 - Oct 5 by NthQldITFC

Kick Off felt instinctive and fluid too, and I if I remember correctly was a bit of a narrower viewport than Sensi which made the players feel a bit more real, and they seemed to have more ability to swerve and bend the ball a bit - hard to put a label on it really. You had to know where your teammates were a bit more than Sensi with its wider view. 5-3-2 was my go to.

Goal (KO3, Dino Dini?) was bit of a wider viewport yet retained the swervability I think.

Goal family = Pablo
Sensi = Kuqi


Sensible was definitely the Pablo in this argument.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: Are we gonna win tomorrow then?

0
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Online Safety Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2026