Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Question Time 07:40 - Jun 23 with 5202 viewsStokieBlue

I missed this, did anyone see the show?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/23/think-leave-david-dimbleby-ejects-cor

Apparently he kept yelling over people that JC had won the election.

He did well of course but it's all very strange. Was the guy being unreasonable and rowdy? Many people don't seem to be able to accept results nowadays.

I assume he was being silly at Dimbleby is usually pretty calm.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Question Time on 07:51 - Jun 23 with 5174 viewsWeWereZombies

I missed it too but the denouement is one of the main news items on the BBC website, storm in a teacup:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-40378533/question-time-host-dimbleby-boots-out-a

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Question Time on 07:53 - Jun 23 with 5167 viewsGlasgowBlue

I haven't seen its but he's not alone in his view.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Question Time on 08:04 - Jun 23 with 5137 viewsWeWereZombies

Question Time on 07:53 - Jun 23 by GlasgowBlue

I haven't seen its but he's not alone in his view.

I have to say I am surprised at your closing remark there...

Question Time on 08:20 - Jun 23 with 5103 viewsStokieBlue

Question Time on 07:51 - Jun 23 by WeWereZombies

I missed it too but the denouement is one of the main news items on the BBC website, storm in a teacup:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-40378533/question-time-host-dimbleby-boots-out-a

Do you not think the way some people are claiming victory shows a ridiculous sense of entitlement? A view that their opinion is more important than their fellow countrymen and thus correct?

It's just a divisive as many other things.

It's interesting to me as it's something I've never seen before and seems to be a recent phenomenon. Maybe it's something to do with how social media impacts or lives. Would probably make a good sociology paper for someone's masters.

SB

Question Time on 08:29 - Jun 23 with 5089 viewsWeWereZombies

Question Time on 08:20 - Jun 23 by StokieBlue

Do you not think the way some people are claiming victory shows a ridiculous sense of entitlement? A view that their opinion is more important than their fellow countrymen and thus correct?

It's interesting to me as it's something I've never seen before and seems to be a recent phenomenon. Maybe it's something to do with how social media impacts or lives. Would probably make a good sociology paper for someone's masters.

SB

It is a handful of people though, isn't it? Inflated by lazy journalism. I think that this type of behaviour has always been with us but it gets highlighted more now because desperate editors are competing across a wide range of media for attention.

Question Time on 08:33 - Jun 23 with 5075 viewsStokieBlue

Question Time on 08:29 - Jun 23 by WeWereZombies

It is a handful of people though, isn't it? Inflated by lazy journalism. I think that this type of behaviour has always been with us but it gets highlighted more now because desperate editors are competing across a wide range of media for attention.

It seems like more than a handful but perhaps you are correct that it's more visible given the constant media barrage across multiple platforms and this skews the perception.

SB

Question Time on 08:39 - Jun 23 with 5053 viewsGlasgowBlue

Question Time on 08:33 - Jun 23 by StokieBlue

It seems like more than a handful but perhaps you are correct that it's more visible given the constant media barrage across multiple platforms and this skews the perception.

SB

http://newsthump.com/2017/06/13/man-who-gets-all-his-news-from-social-media-thin

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Question Time on 08:40 - Jun 23 with 5045 viewsJ2BLUE

SB

Agree entirely. I really don't see how they are saying Corbyn should be PM when he can't even command a majority with several other parties. It's the same as Brexit. A minority can't accept the result and want to block it because their view is clearly more important than the majority.

The numbers don't lie, Corbyn didn't win.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

Question Time on 08:47 - Jun 23 with 5030 viewsitfcjoe

SB

Social media is very divisive and that boils over into soceity - if you aren't for something then you are against it - no room for middle ground or nuance.

Vote Tory - you are nasty and want big business to receive money and disabled people to die
Vote Labour - You are a communist who wants to live off the state and for every rich person to hand over all their earnings

It's like it across everything in society, even on here - not a rabid Mick Outer, then you are defending him and blind and an idiot who doesn't understand football etc

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Question Time on 08:51 - Jun 23 with 5019 viewsStokieBlue

Question Time on 08:47 - Jun 23 by itfcjoe

Social media is very divisive and that boils over into soceity - if you aren't for something then you are against it - no room for middle ground or nuance.

Vote Tory - you are nasty and want big business to receive money and disabled people to die
Vote Labour - You are a communist who wants to live off the state and for every rich person to hand over all their earnings

It's like it across everything in society, even on here - not a rabid Mick Outer, then you are defending him and blind and an idiot who doesn't understand football etc

Good post.

As an extension, do you think that customisable news feeds propegate an echo chamber mentality? I would think that people in general are likely to subscribe to feeds they agree with and see only that filtered news rather that going to a source which covers all bases.

It's an interesting subject and applies to supporters of both sides of the relevant subject.

SB
[Post edited 23 Jun 2017 8:52]

Question Time on 09:01 - Jun 23 with 4984 viewsSteve_M

Question Time on 08:51 - Jun 23 by StokieBlue

Good post.

As an extension, do you think that customisable news feeds propegate an echo chamber mentality? I would think that people in general are likely to subscribe to feeds they agree with and see only that filtered news rather that going to a source which covers all bases.

It's an interesting subject and applies to supporters of both sides of the relevant subject.

SB

Yes, I think it does. Group think and the exclusion of all other views is a dangerous mix. We've all seen people desperately promote things they want to be true - either pro-their side or damning the other - without considering the viability of the source.

I've made the case repeatedly but one of the great things about this board, fractious though it can be, is that it isn't an echo chamber of the sort that seems to be dominant on social media.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Question Time on 09:04 - Jun 23 with 4966 viewsSwansea_Blue

He's not the PM, obviously, but I see he's nudged ahead ahead of May in popularity for the first time in the latest YouGov poll. Funny old world.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Question Time on 09:05 - Jun 23 with 4962 viewsWD19

Question Time on 09:01 - Jun 23 by Steve_M

Yes, I think it does. Group think and the exclusion of all other views is a dangerous mix. We've all seen people desperately promote things they want to be true - either pro-their side or damning the other - without considering the viability of the source.

I've made the case repeatedly but one of the great things about this board, fractious though it can be, is that it isn't an echo chamber of the sort that seems to be dominant on social media.

Question Time on 09:07 - Jun 23 with 4950 viewsGunnsAirkick

I think anyone that is claiming Labour 'won' needs their heads checking (I believe Corbyn's comments are that Labour were the 'winners' of the Election in terms of the Conservatives having expected to vastly increase their majority and for Labour to lose a lot of seats rather than gaining quite a few). It does seem to be a bit of a sea change though and if things continue the way they are even Corbyn might have a chance against this lot.

As for the guy on QT, what a moron. He seemed like a Momentum agitator to me (there are a couple in my local party but they mostly get ignored, why they think shouting over people works I will never know).
Question Time on 09:07 - Jun 23 with 4945 viewsblue_oyster

Was he 'bringing the rage', perchance?

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Question Time on 09:13 - Jun 23 with 4928 viewsUncle_Bulgaria

SB

Similar to the referendum vote, where large numbers of young voters did not think the retired/elderly should have a vote as "it was not their future under consideration".
Question Time on 09:33 - Jun 23 with 4874 viewsitfcjoe

Good post.

SB

Echo Chambers are key, especially on Twitter - people are so shocked to see the Tories 'win' the election because they can't find anyone they follow who would vote for them.

But when no room for argument on certain platforms what do you expect? Least on here, as diametrically opposed as some people tend to be there is room to flesh out arguments - impossible to do that in 140 characters!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Question Time on 09:36 - Jun 23 with 4849 viewsNo9

I am surprised anybody watches that dross
Question Time on 09:45 - Jun 23 with 4815 viewsGuthrum

Question Time on 09:33 - Jun 23 by itfcjoe

Echo Chambers are key, especially on Twitter - people are so shocked to see the Tories 'win' the election because they can't find anyone they follow who would vote for them.

But when no room for argument on certain platforms what do you expect? Least on here, as diametrically opposed as some people tend to be there is room to flesh out arguments - impossible to do that in 140 characters!

Your second paragraph is bang on.

Some things simply cannot be summed up (let alone backed with data) in so few words.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Question Time on 09:53 - Jun 23 with 4805 viewsNo9

Good post.

SB

Did't Ted Turner prove that you caould make peole beleive what you want them to believe?
A practice continued by the Daily Mail
Question Time on 10:54 - Jun 23 with 4741 viewsRyorry

First ever "live eviction" on QT!

DD was impressively authoritative with his 'polite firmness' - "I think you'd better leave" - cue huge applause & some cheers from the audience - having firstly given him his chance to speak properly using the mic, and then asking him politely several times to be quiet. Both audience and panel members were clearly finding him a distraction. He left of his own accord, albeit a BBC heavy in dark suit was already moving towards him!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Question Time on 11:05 - Jun 23 with 4707 views26_Paz

Question Time on 08:47 - Jun 23 by itfcjoe

Very good point made here.

The Paz Man

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024