Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? 08:03 - Jan 19 with 8629 viewschicoazul

Isnt it 5? So we could have Iorfa, new CB, Connolly, Gleeson, Celina in the team on Saturday.

Is it 2011 again?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 08:13 - Jan 19 with 5762 viewsitfcjoe

I think it is still 5, a bit ridiculous that it has come to this, again.

I can see that Evans is trying to clear the decks, but seems so short sighted to not allow a new manager to oversee this

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 08:22 - Jan 19 with 5735 viewsHerbivore

Can't see Gleeson or the new CB starting tomorrow, they'll be on the bench. To be fair in 2012 it seemed a deliberate policy to bring in a load of short term mercenaries with a bit of pedigree, at least this time it's been forced on us by the circumstances of a crazy injury crisis and a manager who is probably off in the summer.

Joe, I get that most of the fans have written the season off so would happily see a change of manager now but for ME he'll be looking at us sat just 4 points from the top 6 and thinking we have a chance. A change of manager now would be more likely to hinder than enhance that chance which is why it's not going to happen just yet. To be fair we've never really strengthened in January with permanent signings anyway so any rebuild was always going to wait until the summer.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 08:24 - Jan 19 with 5731 viewsitfcjoe

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 08:22 - Jan 19 by Herbivore

Can't see Gleeson or the new CB starting tomorrow, they'll be on the bench. To be fair in 2012 it seemed a deliberate policy to bring in a load of short term mercenaries with a bit of pedigree, at least this time it's been forced on us by the circumstances of a crazy injury crisis and a manager who is probably off in the summer.

Joe, I get that most of the fans have written the season off so would happily see a change of manager now but for ME he'll be looking at us sat just 4 points from the top 6 and thinking we have a chance. A change of manager now would be more likely to hinder than enhance that chance which is why it's not going to happen just yet. To be fair we've never really strengthened in January with permanent signings anyway so any rebuild was always going to wait until the summer.

But it seems like Evans is writing the season off too - we've sold Moore, selling Tommy and it seems obvious that McGoldrick is available - if Bart goes which I'd assume is 50:50ish then that say's a lot. We've got senior players out of contract and it feels very much like a clearing of the decks for the new manager.

Evans can't have it both ways, he can't allow for decks to be cleared whilst targetting the top 6 - it's hard enough as it is but that would make it impossible.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 08:26 - Jan 19 with 5724 viewsHerbivore

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 08:24 - Jan 19 by itfcjoe

But it seems like Evans is writing the season off too - we've sold Moore, selling Tommy and it seems obvious that McGoldrick is available - if Bart goes which I'd assume is 50:50ish then that say's a lot. We've got senior players out of contract and it feels very much like a clearing of the decks for the new manager.

Evans can't have it both ways, he can't allow for decks to be cleared whilst targetting the top 6 - it's hard enough as it is but that would make it impossible.

Smith has barely played in 18 months, Moore barely kicked a ball for us, personally I don't see Bart going. Didz going looks to be a matter of timing to be fair, he won't be staying with us and that's at least partly his choice. I think clearing the decks is a bit dramatic, we're trimming some of the fat. The core of the squad remains very much intact.

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 08:29 - Jan 19 with 5720 viewsBluebell

I would guess the team starting will be the same that started last week unless any of them are injured.
How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 08:49 - Jan 19 with 5669 viewsPJH

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 08:29 - Jan 19 by Bluebell

I would guess the team starting will be the same that started last week unless any of them are injured.

Bart in goal tomorrow I would think.
How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 08:53 - Jan 19 with 5658 viewsRadlett_blue

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 08:24 - Jan 19 by itfcjoe

Evans virtually wrote off the promising 2014-15 season by failing to invest in January 2015. We've been treading water ever since.
I can only hope if he's clearing the decks & a new owner arrives, he's more willing to fund the club than Evans, but he won't care about that - he'll just want the highest possible price.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 08:56 - Jan 19 with 5658 viewsPhilTWTD

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 08:26 - Jan 19 by Herbivore

Smith has barely played in 18 months, Moore barely kicked a ball for us, personally I don't see Bart going. Didz going looks to be a matter of timing to be fair, he won't be staying with us and that's at least partly his choice. I think clearing the decks is a bit dramatic, we're trimming some of the fat. The core of the squad remains very much intact.

I don't get the impression there's any clearing of the decks or that anyone at the club has given up on the season. As you say, there are a number of individual scenarios. Smith has been offered the chance of a move he wants to take, the club has a decision to make whether to cash-in on McGoldrick if they receive serious offers because of his contract situation and, I agree, I think Bart is likely to stay, until the summer at least.

Aside from McGoldrick, the out-of-contract players aren't really out of contract as the club has an option and looks at it as there being 18 months on their contracts.

The players coming in on loan is probably more a reflection of the market in January and the uncertainty regarding who the manager will be in the summer than anything else, although Gleeson is out of contract so could sign up full-time then if he catches the eye (although by that time everyone else will be back from injury, of course, so he may not be required).
Login to get fewer ads

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 09:00 - Jan 19 with 5621 viewsPJH

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 08:56 - Jan 19 by PhilTWTD

I don't get the impression there's any clearing of the decks or that anyone at the club has given up on the season. As you say, there are a number of individual scenarios. Smith has been offered the chance of a move he wants to take, the club has a decision to make whether to cash-in on McGoldrick if they receive serious offers because of his contract situation and, I agree, I think Bart is likely to stay, until the summer at least.

Aside from McGoldrick, the out-of-contract players aren't really out of contract as the club has an option and looks at it as there being 18 months on their contracts.

The players coming in on loan is probably more a reflection of the market in January and the uncertainty regarding who the manager will be in the summer than anything else, although Gleeson is out of contract so could sign up full-time then if he catches the eye (although by that time everyone else will be back from injury, of course, so he may not be required).

All very sensible and logical Phil, you might be on the wrong site.
How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 09:01 - Jan 19 with 5619 viewsRadlett_blue

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 08:56 - Jan 19 by PhilTWTD

But will we get a fee for Tommy Smith? He's contracted to the club until 2020 so why get rid, unless Evans wants to replace him with a cheaper, inferior option?

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 09:02 - Jan 19 with 5612 viewsKieran_Knows

Believe you can have as many loanees in the squad as you like, but only 5 can be part of the match day squad.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 09:06 - Jan 19 with 5600 viewsJakeITFC

2011 was great because we had 7 loanees at one point.
How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 09:07 - Jan 19 with 5596 viewsBloomBlue

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 08:13 - Jan 19 by itfcjoe

I think it is still 5, a bit ridiculous that it has come to this, again.

I can see that Evans is trying to clear the decks, but seems so short sighted to not allow a new manager to oversee this

I dont understand the fuss. Fans moan when MM doesn't play our youngsters, we have youngsters coming back from injury this gives us a short-term cover and then we'll have the youngsters back

I get the impression a lot of fans talk about the youngsters but really want ME to spend millions on players and couldn't give a fork for the youngsters.
How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 09:07 - Jan 19 with 5594 viewsKieran_Knows

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 09:06 - Jan 19 by JakeITFC

TWTD.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 09:07 - Jan 19 with 5588 viewschicoazul

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 08:22 - Jan 19 by Herbivore

Mick doesn't rate Kenlock and plays him under sufferance and because he knew Tommy was off. Jonas at LB and new CB in the team tomorrow. Probably right about Gleeson but Connolly has played a lot of games and is only young, that would obvs be a loan in for aloan though.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 09:08 - Jan 19 with 5591 viewsPhilTWTD

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 09:01 - Jan 19 by Radlett_blue

But will we get a fee for Tommy Smith? He's contracted to the club until 2020 so why get rid, unless Evans wants to replace him with a cheaper, inferior option?

Not sure on fee, but I assume so, although probably not huge. Asked Mick and he wouldn't comment. I think to some extent the club may be being generous to a long-serving player by taking up an opportunity he's keen to pursue.
How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 09:09 - Jan 19 with 5577 viewschicoazul

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 09:06 - Jan 19 by JakeITFC

Was it 7?? Haha oh god I think it was wasnt it, great times.

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 09:10 - Jan 19 with 5573 viewsRadlett_blue

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 09:08 - Jan 19 by PhilTWTD

Not sure on fee, but I assume so, although probably not huge. Asked Mick and he wouldn't comment. I think to some extent the club may be being generous to a long-serving player by taking up an opportunity he's keen to pursue.

I doubt that. I guess Mick isn't digging in his toes as Smith has been peripheral for the last 2 seasons & we have Chambers, Iorfa, Knudsen, Spence & Webster (when fit) who can all play centre back. However, Evans gets another wage liability of Town's balance sheet plus maybe a small fee.

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 09:10 - Jan 19 with 5570 viewsHerbivore

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 09:01 - Jan 19 by Radlett_blue

He wants to go and he's not a first team regular here, I imagine he's on a first team wage. He's also barely been fit for the better part of 2 years now. I find it harder to see reasons to keep him. He's been a great servant and deserves the chance to go and play regularly elsewhere.

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 09:12 - Jan 19 with 5574 viewsSomethingBlue

I don't massively mind at this stage; five is not ideal but it's passable, it only gets silly when you have more than you can fit in a matchday squad. There'll be a fairly significant change in the summer so whatever can get us through the season and perhaps keep us on the fringes of challenging for the top six is pretty much where we are. The stupid thing is that a (highly achievable) win tomorrow would leave us well placed once again.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 09:15 - Jan 19 with 5556 viewsHerbivore

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 09:07 - Jan 19 by chicoazul

Mick doesn't rate Kenlock and plays him under sufferance and because he knew Tommy was off. Jonas at LB and new CB in the team tomorrow. Probably right about Gleeson but Connolly has played a lot of games and is only young, that would obvs be a loan in for aloan though.

We'll see. Kenlock did okay last week and Knudsen was excellent so I'd be surprised to see us start tomorrow with someone who hasn't even had a chance to train with his teammates yet.

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 09:19 - Jan 19 with 5537 viewsElderGrizzly

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 09:07 - Jan 19 by BloomBlue

I dont understand the fuss. Fans moan when MM doesn't play our youngsters, we have youngsters coming back from injury this gives us a short-term cover and then we'll have the youngsters back

I get the impression a lot of fans talk about the youngsters but really want ME to spend millions on players and couldn't give a fork for the youngsters.

Agree, youngsters will play over Gleeson too. We just need them to be fit and with no loan window we need the short-term cover. Simple as that?
How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 09:22 - Jan 19 with 5521 viewsSomethingBlue

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 09:19 - Jan 19 by ElderGrizzly

Agree, youngsters will play over Gleeson too. We just need them to be fit and with no loan window we need the short-term cover. Simple as that?

Yes I'm confused by some reactions. We're ravaged by injury in central midfield so get someone who can fill in — what do people want?

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 09:23 - Jan 19 with 5510 viewsJohnny_Boy

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 08:26 - Jan 19 by Herbivore

You are aware that Gleeson has only played 2 more league games than Smith this season. Right?
How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 09:27 - Jan 19 with 5492 viewschicoazul

How many loans can we play in the 1st team again? on 09:15 - Jan 19 by Herbivore

We'll see. Kenlock did okay last week and Knudsen was excellent so I'd be surprised to see us start tomorrow with someone who hasn't even had a chance to train with his teammates yet.

Knudsen is really important in our attacking play with assists and crosses and winning the ball high up the pitch, and he backs Celina up and lets him do his thing. Take your point about training but if it's an experienced head they won't need long to come up to speed on our defensive play.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024