Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Boro Away 16:47 - Dec 4 with 8792 viewsNewcyBlue

Seb is 4, any ideas and tips for keeping a 4 year old entertained at the football?

Hoppy has already given me a couple of tips. Any others would be appreciated!

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Boro Away on 16:50 - Dec 4 with 7336 viewstextbackup

Get him beered up pre match and he'll kip through it

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Boro Away on 16:51 - Dec 4 with 7333 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

'Win or lose, we're on the booze'

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Boro Away on 16:55 - Dec 4 with 7316 viewsBurwell_Blue

I wouldn't bother.

He will be bored, you will miss it trying to entertain him and the people around you will get the hump.
Boro Away on 17:00 - Dec 4 with 7294 viewsKieran_Knows

The scintillating football from Town should see young Seb entertained enough .....
[Post edited 4 Dec 2017 17:03]

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Boro Away on 17:05 - Dec 4 with 7281 viewsGeoffSentence

You could spend some time teaching him all the classic football chants

'the referee's a w@nker'
'who's your father?'
'Bamford, you're a cwnt'

and many, many more

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Boro Away on 17:09 - Dec 4 with 7267 viewsNewcyBlue

Boro Away on 16:55 - Dec 4 by Burwell_Blue

I wouldn't bother.

He will be bored, you will miss it trying to entertain him and the people around you will get the hump.

What a defeatist attitude.

I'd much rather take Seb along to his very first live football game, and if he ends up bored and cold, leave earlier.

If people around us get the hump I would be very surprised. I'm a rather courteous parent and ensure that we don't disturb others. But at the same time if somebody was so offended I'd point out other seats that they could relocate to.

I'd also say that most people on this forum know what Seb and I look like, and you're more than welcome to come say hello!

Boro Away on 17:14 - Dec 4 with 7257 viewscbower

When I first took my lad he was 6. He struggled to actually follow the ball and ended up messing on his nintendo thing. Watching it on the tv, the camera follows it for you, so you don't have to keep up with it for yourself. Maybe be prepared for this and keep pointing out to him where to look. Hope you enjoy it. My lad still comes 7 years on. Good son and dad time. Wrap up warm, Boro is nippy at the best of times. My boy and I will be there too. Oh and take him for a pee just before kick off and the start of both halves. No pop too. He'll need to pee after 20 mins in the cold otherwise!
[Post edited 4 Dec 2017 17:17]

bluescouser

Boro Away on 17:21 - Dec 4 with 7232 viewsNewcyBlue

Boro Away on 17:14 - Dec 4 by cbower

When I first took my lad he was 6. He struggled to actually follow the ball and ended up messing on his nintendo thing. Watching it on the tv, the camera follows it for you, so you don't have to keep up with it for yourself. Maybe be prepared for this and keep pointing out to him where to look. Hope you enjoy it. My lad still comes 7 years on. Good son and dad time. Wrap up warm, Boro is nippy at the best of times. My boy and I will be there too. Oh and take him for a pee just before kick off and the start of both halves. No pop too. He'll need to pee after 20 mins in the cold otherwise!
[Post edited 4 Dec 2017 17:17]

Cheers, yeah I am fully prepared for pointing stuff out constantly

I showed him some videos of the crowd, some of the chants, he just watched them mildly bemused.

I will have a fully charged phone ready with cartoons for any slight boredom.

Glad you and your boy are going, there's not a massive amount of stuff to do around the stadium area pre-match. Seals in the dock. Short walk to the city centre.

I'm just going to make a game of stuff with him, hoppy suggested some ideas already, which is nice.

Boro shouldn't be much colder than where we are. Seb will be in his town hat and scarf anyway!

If you see us come say hello!

Login to get fewer ads

Boro Away on 17:49 - Dec 4 with 7192 viewscbower

Boro Away on 17:21 - Dec 4 by NewcyBlue

Cheers, yeah I am fully prepared for pointing stuff out constantly

I showed him some videos of the crowd, some of the chants, he just watched them mildly bemused.

I will have a fully charged phone ready with cartoons for any slight boredom.

Glad you and your boy are going, there's not a massive amount of stuff to do around the stadium area pre-match. Seals in the dock. Short walk to the city centre.

I'm just going to make a game of stuff with him, hoppy suggested some ideas already, which is nice.

Boro shouldn't be much colder than where we are. Seb will be in his town hat and scarf anyway!

If you see us come say hello!

Would do but not sure what you look like!

bluescouser

Boro Away on 17:58 - Dec 4 with 7181 viewsNewcyBlue

Boro Away on 17:49 - Dec 4 by cbower

Would do but not sure what you look like!

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/384876/court-stuff/#0

Boro Away on 18:03 - Dec 4 with 7165 viewsjas0999

Boro Away on 17:09 - Dec 4 by NewcyBlue

What a defeatist attitude.

I'd much rather take Seb along to his very first live football game, and if he ends up bored and cold, leave earlier.

If people around us get the hump I would be very surprised. I'm a rather courteous parent and ensure that we don't disturb others. But at the same time if somebody was so offended I'd point out other seats that they could relocate to.

I'd also say that most people on this forum know what Seb and I look like, and you're more than welcome to come say hello!

.... hmmm, win, lose or draw - play well or not, I think it will remain a challenge to keep a four year old entertained, engaged and able to sit still and focus on football for ninety minutes!
Boro Away on 18:26 - Dec 4 with 7138 viewsBluefish

Get him to draw up a banner during the game asking why his ticket is £17 despite being 4

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Boro Away on 18:28 - Dec 4 with 7134 viewsBasuco

Show him the transporter bridge and give him a full explanation of it's history and engineering magnificence.
Boro Away on 19:16 - Dec 4 with 7101 viewsNewcyBlue

Boro Away on 18:03 - Dec 4 by jas0999

.... hmmm, win, lose or draw - play well or not, I think it will remain a challenge to keep a four year old entertained, engaged and able to sit still and focus on football for ninety minutes!

Agreed. As I previously said I am fully prepared to be leaving early.

I am just hoping to give him the best first match I can.

Boro Away on 19:19 - Dec 4 with 7091 viewshoppy

Boro Away on 18:26 - Dec 4 by Bluefish

Get him to draw up a banner during the game asking why his ticket is £17 despite being 4

Didn't someone do that with their 4 yr old at Brighton one time... Get them to do some kind of banner?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Boro Away on 19:22 - Dec 4 with 7074 viewsjas0999

Boro Away on 19:16 - Dec 4 by NewcyBlue

Agreed. As I previously said I am fully prepared to be leaving early.

I am just hoping to give him the best first match I can.

Don’t blame you at all. Hope you have a great time! Think you are on a hiding to nothing, but with children you never know! They have a habit of surprising you! Frustrating you! Making you proud! Make you sad! Make you happy! Can’t beat it.
Boro Away on 19:33 - Dec 4 with 7038 viewsNewcyBlue

Boro Away on 19:22 - Dec 4 by jas0999

Don’t blame you at all. Hope you have a great time! Think you are on a hiding to nothing, but with children you never know! They have a habit of surprising you! Frustrating you! Making you proud! Make you sad! Make you happy! Can’t beat it.

Cheers. If he and I had more time after the match together I would get him to do a video match report!

Boro Away on 19:34 - Dec 4 with 7028 viewshoppy

Boro Away on 17:05 - Dec 4 by GeoffSentence

You could spend some time teaching him all the classic football chants

'the referee's a w@nker'
'who's your father?'
'Bamford, you're a cwnt'

and many, many more

"Sheeeeeeeee's a bore" *

* that's the 4yr old friendly version

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Boro Away on 20:07 - Dec 4 with 6989 viewsRonFearonsHair

If my eldest ever starts to feel that watching the game for the full duration with me isn't going to keep his attention then we won't go. No phones. No tablets. No compromise. It's our 'us' time and I want him as invested in it as I am.

Admittedly, I lucked out in having the 'hook' of us winning his first match 4-2.
Boro Away on 20:19 - Dec 4 with 6967 viewscaught-in-limbo

I went to Town matches with my Dad from the age of 9 months. My Dad had a whole season's load of home match programmes from the early 80s where all the opposition players had moustaches and sunglasses drawn on them.

Buy a programme and bring a pen with you.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Boro Away on 20:43 - Dec 4 with 6941 viewsPJH

Boro Away on 20:19 - Dec 4 by caught-in-limbo

I went to Town matches with my Dad from the age of 9 months. My Dad had a whole season's load of home match programmes from the early 80s where all the opposition players had moustaches and sunglasses drawn on them.

Buy a programme and bring a pen with you.

In the early 80s most of the players had moustaches and sunglasses anyway.
Boro Away on 20:58 - Dec 4 with 6913 viewsconnorscontract

There's loads of negativity in this thread. I took my oldest son to his first match when he was 3 and a half and he absolutely loved it.

It was away at Pride Park in 2002. My son had informed me that he needed the toilet, so off we went. Whilst we were gone Sixto Peralta scored. When we returned about 70% of Town fans gave me a sympathetic "unlucky mate" look as we climbed the stairs past them.

The one thing I would say is that his interest will ebb and flow, so don't leave at the first sign of boredom.

Take a sturdy blank book and some pencils and get him to draw some of the players. Date them and put the match on and write the players name. Take it to each match you go to and you'll build up an absolutely priceless collection over time. The little girl who used to sit in front of me did this when she was about six or seven- they were really good.
on 21:00 - Dec 4 with 6906 views_

Boro Away on 21:04 - Dec 4 with 6899 viewsNewcyBlue

Boro Away on 20:58 - Dec 4 by connorscontract

There's loads of negativity in this thread. I took my oldest son to his first match when he was 3 and a half and he absolutely loved it.

It was away at Pride Park in 2002. My son had informed me that he needed the toilet, so off we went. Whilst we were gone Sixto Peralta scored. When we returned about 70% of Town fans gave me a sympathetic "unlucky mate" look as we climbed the stairs past them.

The one thing I would say is that his interest will ebb and flow, so don't leave at the first sign of boredom.

Take a sturdy blank book and some pencils and get him to draw some of the players. Date them and put the match on and write the players name. Take it to each match you go to and you'll build up an absolutely priceless collection over time. The little girl who used to sit in front of me did this when she was about six or seven- they were really good.

Ruddy brilliant. Thanks so much.

I remain positive that he is going to love the experience!

Glad that you and your eldest had that experience!

Boro Away on 21:53 - Dec 4 with 6840 viewsPJH

on 21:00 - Dec 4 by _

I took my wife to her one and only game, John Wark testimonial against Arsenal, and she spent more time watching the crowd than the game too-even missed one of the goals because of it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024