Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
He seems to have finally adopted a position 12:51 - Jan 9 with 10115 viewsStokieBlue

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jan/08/jeremy-corbyn-eu-single-market-

However plenty of days in the week left to change his mind.

I suspect it's not what many people wanted to hear though. The comments certainly aren't full of happy people.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

He seems to have finally adopted a position on 13:10 - Jan 9 with 5168 viewsimsureazzure

It is tragically comical that the cult of Corbyn will be exposed by this one item.

Where is the new centre left pro remain party?

The country deserves and needs a new SDP.
He seems to have finally adopted a position on 13:13 - Jan 9 with 5152 viewsblue_oyster

He seems to have finally adopted a position on 13:10 - Jan 9 by imsureazzure

It is tragically comical that the cult of Corbyn will be exposed by this one item.

They still form the majority of the Conservative and Labour parties, waiting to overthrow their leader.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

He seems to have finally adopted a position on 13:16 - Jan 9 with 5141 views26_Paz

This is why I don't understand how the Lib Dems are still doing so badly.
They're the only party proposing a 'remainer' agenda. Whilst I appreciate there are more issues than Brexit when it comes to voting intention I can't understand how they're not picking up chunks of the pro remain vote.
I could see them picking up from the Tories as well as Labour TBH, there's significant and vocal pro-remain sentiment in both parties, but its just not happening ... why??

The Paz Man

He seems to have finally adopted a position on 13:20 - Jan 9 with 5121 viewsSteve_M

So he either doesn't understand the single market or he's still being incredibly disingenuous. Or indeed both.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

He seems to have finally adopted a position on 14:09 - Jan 9 with 5074 viewsGlasgowBlue

He seems to have finally adopted a position on 13:16 - Jan 9 by 26_Paz

This is why I don't understand how the Lib Dems are still doing so badly.
They're the only party proposing a 'remainer' agenda. Whilst I appreciate there are more issues than Brexit when it comes to voting intention I can't understand how they're not picking up chunks of the pro remain vote.
I could see them picking up from the Tories as well as Labour TBH, there's significant and vocal pro-remain sentiment in both parties, but its just not happening ... why??

Because the majority of people who voted remain have accepted a democratic vote.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

He seems to have finally adopted a position on 14:12 - Jan 9 with 5064 viewsElderGrizzly

And his ‘view’ is still based on a falsehood. Is Corbyn intentionally Misleading or just not getting it?

[Post edited 9 Jan 2018 14:13]
He seems to have finally adopted a position on 14:16 - Jan 9 with 5056 viewsGeoffSentence

Apparently this one is it as they are 'staking out the new centre ground', what isn't clear to me is what the 'new' centre ground is.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

He seems to have finally adopted a position on 14:19 - Jan 9 with 5042 viewsNo9

Does it really matter when the governemtn have an alternative view?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-eu-customs-union-mps-vote-u

To be candid this, despite it's seriousness have become little more than a comedy show = politicians have become irresponsible
Login to get fewer ads

He seems to have finally adopted a position on 14:19 - Jan 9 with 5040 views26_Paz

He seems to have finally adopted a position on 14:09 - Jan 9 by GlasgowBlue

Because the majority of people who voted remain have accepted a democratic vote.

There is that but as a previous poster said there seems to be a big gap in the market for a centrist pro-EU party. The Lib Dems are the obvious choice here. Perhaps 'Sir' Nick Clegg and his anti democrats calling for a second referendum have gone too far and put people off? Perhaps they'd be better off just banging the 'soft' Brexit drum?

The Paz Man

He seems to have finally adopted a position on 14:26 - Jan 9 with 5018 viewsGlasgowBlue

He seems to have finally adopted a position on 14:19 - Jan 9 by 26_Paz

There is that but as a previous poster said there seems to be a big gap in the market for a centrist pro-EU party. The Lib Dems are the obvious choice here. Perhaps 'Sir' Nick Clegg and his anti democrats calling for a second referendum have gone too far and put people off? Perhaps they'd be better off just banging the 'soft' Brexit drum?

There is a big gap in the market for a centrist party. To nail it's colours to the mast as a pro EU party turns it into a single issue party and alienates centre minded people who voted to leave the EU.

Iron Lion Zion

He seems to have finally adopted a position on 14:27 - Jan 9 with 5015 viewsStokieBlue

He seems to have finally adopted a position on 14:19 - Jan 9 by No9

Does it really matter when the governemtn have an alternative view?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-eu-customs-union-mps-vote-u

To be candid this, despite it's seriousness have become little more than a comedy show = politicians have become irresponsible

I think it matters because many students voted for him under the impression he was pro-EU and anti-Brexit as subsequent surveys have shown.

At best he's been confusing, at worst he's been deliberately misleading.

I do agree that our politics in general is akin to the Russ Abbot show.

SB

He seems to have finally adopted a position on 14:39 - Jan 9 with 4982 viewsGlasgowBlue

He seems to have finally adopted a position on 14:27 - Jan 9 by StokieBlue

I think it matters because many students voted for him under the impression he was pro-EU and anti-Brexit as subsequent surveys have shown.

At best he's been confusing, at worst he's been deliberately misleading.

I do agree that our politics in general is akin to the Russ Abbot show.

SB

I posted this before. He could potentially lose a great number of the students who voted for him in June unaware that he has campaigned for Brexit most of his political life, voting against both the Maastricht and Lisbon treaties, voting to leave in the last earlier EU referendum and was Tony Benn's bag carrier at every Leave the EU meeting he ever attended.

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/labours-student-vote-could-melt-away-o

He managed to go the whole campaign without mentioning it in any particular meaningful way. And he banned it's discussion at the Labour party conference in October.

As the article I linked states: 55% thought that Labour wanted the UK to remain in the European Union, and 58 per cent thought that this was Mr Corbyn’s position. In fact Corbyn and Labour's position is that the referendum result should be respected and we will leave the EU.

A further 32% thought that Labour wanted to leave the EU but to remain in the single market and customs union (24 per cent thought the same of Mr Corbyn), when fact both Corbyn and Starmer have said we must leave the single market.

Asked how they would vote if Labour adopted a policy of overtly supporting Brexit, 42% of Labour-supporting students said that they would be less likely to vote for the party, and 21% said that they would be less likely to vote for any party.

As the article states, if more 18-24's were actually aware of Corbyn's position his support among the young could melt away.

[Post edited 9 Jan 2018 14:42]

Iron Lion Zion

He seems to have finally adopted a position on 14:41 - Jan 9 with 4979 viewschicoazul

He seems to have finally adopted a position on 13:20 - Jan 9 by Steve_M

So he either doesn't understand the single market or he's still being incredibly disingenuous. Or indeed both.

He's just thick.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

He seems to have finally adopted a position on 14:42 - Jan 9 with 4976 viewshype313

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

He seems to have finally adopted a position on 14:42 - Jan 9 with 4972 views26_Paz

He seems to have finally adopted a position on 14:39 - Jan 9 by GlasgowBlue

I posted this before. He could potentially lose a great number of the students who voted for him in June unaware that he has campaigned for Brexit most of his political life, voting against both the Maastricht and Lisbon treaties, voting to leave in the last earlier EU referendum and was Tony Benn's bag carrier at every Leave the EU meeting he ever attended.

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/labours-student-vote-could-melt-away-o

He managed to go the whole campaign without mentioning it in any particular meaningful way. And he banned it's discussion at the Labour party conference in October.

As the article I linked states: 55% thought that Labour wanted the UK to remain in the European Union, and 58 per cent thought that this was Mr Corbyn’s position. In fact Corbyn and Labour's position is that the referendum result should be respected and we will leave the EU.

A further 32% thought that Labour wanted to leave the EU but to remain in the single market and customs union (24 per cent thought the same of Mr Corbyn), when fact both Corbyn and Starmer have said we must leave the single market.

Asked how they would vote if Labour adopted a policy of overtly supporting Brexit, 42% of Labour-supporting students said that they would be less likely to vote for the party, and 21% said that they would be less likely to vote for any party.

As the article states, if more 18-24's were actually aware of Corbyn's position his support among the young could melt away.

[Post edited 9 Jan 2018 14:42]

He'll just offer them more free stuff and they'll vote for him anyway ...

The Paz Man

He seems to have finally adopted a position on 14:51 - Jan 9 with 4953 viewsGlasgowBlue

He seems to have finally adopted a position on 14:42 - Jan 9 by 26_Paz

He'll just offer them more free stuff and they'll vote for him anyway ...

Iron Lion Zion

He seems to have finally adopted a position on 14:57 - Jan 9 with 4935 viewsJ2BLUE

He seems to have finally adopted a position on 14:12 - Jan 9 by ElderGrizzly

And his ‘view’ is still based on a falsehood. Is Corbyn intentionally Misleading or just not getting it?

[Post edited 9 Jan 2018 14:13]

I don't think he's being literal. Just saying if we remain in the single market that means we need to accept EU rules and freedom of movement which isn't what people voted for.

Any remainer who has suggested the leave vote was because of racists and xenophobes must surely agree with him? Can't have it both ways. Freedom of movement comes with the single market.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

He seems to have finally adopted a position on 15:01 - Jan 9 with 4925 viewsBackToRussia

He seems to have finally adopted a position on 14:57 - Jan 9 by J2BLUE

I don't think he's being literal. Just saying if we remain in the single market that means we need to accept EU rules and freedom of movement which isn't what people voted for.

Any remainer who has suggested the leave vote was because of racists and xenophobes must surely agree with him? Can't have it both ways. Freedom of movement comes with the single market.

Indeed, hence why he says everything has to be negotiated. Hasn't that been exactly the criticism from the EU that the UK govt waltzed into discussions essentially believing it could leave but still get all the benefits? Seems like at least Corbyn is on a pragmatic level.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

He seems to have finally adopted a position on 15:03 - Jan 9 with 4921 viewsArcher4721

He seems to have finally adopted a position on 13:13 - Jan 9 by blue_oyster

They still form the majority of the Conservative and Labour parties, waiting to overthrow their leader.

[Post edited 9 Jan 2018 15:07]
He seems to have finally adopted a position on 15:04 - Jan 9 with 4917 viewsitfcjoe

He seems to have finally adopted a position on 14:26 - Jan 9 by GlasgowBlue

There is a big gap in the market for a centrist party. To nail it's colours to the mast as a pro EU party turns it into a single issue party and alienates centre minded people who voted to leave the EU.

I don't think it's that, I think it's that everything has become so polarised like America that it is going further towards a 2 party state.

If you are right of centre you are Tory, and if you are not a Tory you are Labour - there doesn't seem to be any room for other parties any more.

Personally, I feel that I'm Centre-Right economically and Centre-Left socially, that used to feel a very populist view but either isn't any more or I'm not represented!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

He seems to have finally adopted a position on 15:07 - Jan 9 with 4899 viewsArcher4721

I think it's very refreshing that a leader of the opposition and Labour Party has accepted the result of a democratic vote. It's a shame many in his party can't accept this.This Labour Party (Unlike previous ones) aims to serve the poor, JAM'S and downtrodden in this country and the vast majority of those people voted for Brexit
He seems to have finally adopted a position on 15:12 - Jan 9 with 4879 viewsStokieBlue

He seems to have finally adopted a position on 15:07 - Jan 9 by Archer4721

I think it's very refreshing that a leader of the opposition and Labour Party has accepted the result of a democratic vote. It's a shame many in his party can't accept this.This Labour Party (Unlike previous ones) aims to serve the poor, JAM'S and downtrodden in this country and the vast majority of those people voted for Brexit

Alistair Campbell would have been proud of that :).

SB

He seems to have finally adopted a position on 15:14 - Jan 9 with 4870 viewsimsureazzure

He seems to have finally adopted a position on 15:07 - Jan 9 by Archer4721

'aims to serve the poor, JAM'S and downtrodden in this country and the vast majority of those people voted for Brexit'

That is true and requires communicating loud and clear by the labour party, will it be done?

Of course it will not.
He seems to have finally adopted a position on 15:15 - Jan 9 with 4865 viewsGlasgowBlue

He seems to have finally adopted a position on 15:01 - Jan 9 by BackToRussia

Indeed, hence why he says everything has to be negotiated. Hasn't that been exactly the criticism from the EU that the UK govt waltzed into discussions essentially believing it could leave but still get all the benefits? Seems like at least Corbyn is on a pragmatic level.

The EU have stated right from the start that there is no negotiating. Donald Tusk, the EU council president that access to the single market “requires acceptance of all four EU freedoms, including freedom of movement. There can be no single market à la carte.”

Iron Lion Zion

He seems to have finally adopted a position on 15:18 - Jan 9 with 4849 viewsElderGrizzly

He seems to have finally adopted a position on 14:57 - Jan 9 by J2BLUE

I look forward to maintaining an element of FoM and the Single Market then, because that will be shown to be the most financially beneficial to those ‘downtrodden’ (as Archer put it) he apparently represents.

As many have said: Norway is the best option we’ll get, just wothout the Schengen zone stuff

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/oct/28/the-norway-option-what-is-it-an
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024