Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How proud is your area to be English? 22:18 - Jun 3 with 9134 viewshomer_123

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-44142843

Has anyone mentioned this? Are the Beeb doing Scotland, Wales etc. or UK or GB.

I'll not comment on some of the questions or findings...
[Post edited 3 Jun 2018 22:19]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

How proud is your area to be English? on 22:31 - Jun 3 with 6395 viewsJ2BLUE

I really, really hate things like this. They serve no purpose whatsoever, aren't interesting in any way and IMO just stir things up. It's like they are looking for things to divide people. Remainers vs Brexiters. Londoners vs Non Londoners. Liberals vs Conservatives. I find it tedious.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

How proud is your area to be English? on 22:34 - Jun 3 with 6380 viewssolemio

Every issue mentioned is far more nuanced and complex than a silly 'yes' or 'no' answer can possibly indicate.
How proud is your area to be English? on 22:34 - Jun 3 with 6376 viewswkj

How proud is your area to be English? on 22:31 - Jun 3 by J2BLUE

I really, really hate things like this. They serve no purpose whatsoever, aren't interesting in any way and IMO just stir things up. It's like they are looking for things to divide people. Remainers vs Brexiters. Londoners vs Non Londoners. Liberals vs Conservatives. I find it tedious.

The bbc would never have an agenda, they are good honest down the middle unbiased news

That said, my area is very proud to be English
[Post edited 3 Jun 2018 22:37]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

How proud is your area to be English? on 22:46 - Jun 3 with 6313 viewstcblue

How proud is your area to be English? on 22:34 - Jun 3 by solemio

Every issue mentioned is far more nuanced and complex than a silly 'yes' or 'no' answer can possibly indicate.

That's politics now. Nuance? Take a hike, pinko, we're strictly binary
How proud is your area to be English? on 22:59 - Jun 3 with 6297 viewsBrixtonBlue

According to that, of the people who voted to leave Europe only 15% think our best years are ahead of us.

Once again, thanks leavers!

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

How proud is your area to be English? on 00:08 - Jun 4 with 6225 viewsjaseitfc

I always say I'm British not English when describing myself
How proud is your area to be English? on 02:59 - Jun 4 with 6177 viewsfloridablue

How proud is your area to be English? on 00:08 - Jun 4 by jaseitfc

Late night and i don't think i've really had time to digest this topic but ..wow!! 15 years of living this side of the pond and if it ever crops up in conversation i still refer to myself as from England over Britain to our cousins!
How proud is your area to be English? on 07:12 - Jun 4 with 6046 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

How proud is your area to be English? on 00:08 - Jun 4 by jaseitfc

I always say I’m from the UK and definitely wouldn’t say I’m proud to be British. If I’m honest I prefer France
Login to get fewer ads

How proud is your area to be English? on 07:18 - Jun 4 with 6045 viewsgordon

How proud is your area to be English? on 22:59 - Jun 3 by BrixtonBlue

According to that, of the people who voted to leave Europe only 15% think our best years are ahead of us.

Once again, thanks leavers!

The fact that Brexit voters are less confident in the future of our country than remain voters, even with Brexit still going ahead, is an interesting result.

I suppose the explanation is that for the ageing demographic that won the leave vote, Brexit was a means of taking us back to that unspecified point in the past before the EU, before immigration, when we manufactured everything, the British Empire ruled the waves, you didn't have to lock your front door etc.
How proud is your area to be English? on 07:37 - Jun 4 with 5993 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

How proud is your area to be English? on 07:18 - Jun 4 by gordon

The fact that Brexit voters are less confident in the future of our country than remain voters, even with Brexit still going ahead, is an interesting result.

I suppose the explanation is that for the ageing demographic that won the leave vote, Brexit was a means of taking us back to that unspecified point in the past before the EU, before immigration, when we manufactured everything, the British Empire ruled the waves, you didn't have to lock your front door etc.

It could be that but then again that could be completely wrong. Only 25 years ago we had only just gone full EU, the average wage was £20k and you could buy a three bed in a decent area for £80k. Now the average wage is £27k and the same house will cost you an extra three hundred grand. That’s not necessarily down to the EU, but may be perceived as such by some
[Post edited 4 Jun 2018 7:39]
How proud is your area to be English? on 07:49 - Jun 4 with 5970 viewstractordownsouth

Great Bentley has to be top of the ' I love Blighty' list surely
[Post edited 4 Jun 2018 7:50]

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

How proud is your area to be English? on 08:24 - Jun 4 with 5908 viewsfactual_blue

How proud is your area to be English? on 07:49 - Jun 4 by tractordownsouth

Great Bentley has to be top of the ' I love Blighty' list surely
[Post edited 4 Jun 2018 7:50]

Here's an exclusive picture from the Great Bentley Bowls and Gangland Murderers Club

#btyf

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

How proud is your area to be English? on 08:42 - Jun 4 with 5886 viewsgordon

How proud is your area to be English? on 07:37 - Jun 4 by FrowsyArmLarry

It could be that but then again that could be completely wrong. Only 25 years ago we had only just gone full EU, the average wage was £20k and you could buy a three bed in a decent area for £80k. Now the average wage is £27k and the same house will cost you an extra three hundred grand. That’s not necessarily down to the EU, but may be perceived as such by some

We joined the EU in 1973, 45 years ago.
How proud is your area to be English? on 08:50 - Jun 4 with 5856 viewsHerbivore

The average wage wasn't £20k in 1993, it was less than that. You really can't help making things up.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

How proud is your area to be English? on 09:08 - Jun 4 with 5822 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

How proud is your area to be English? on 08:42 - Jun 4 by gordon

We joined the EU in 1973, 45 years ago.

maastricht treaty was 1992 when the average salary was £20k
How proud is your area to be English? on 09:11 - Jun 4 with 5816 viewsWD19

Couldn't agree more. Its utterly lazy. Its not news, it is just a 'filler' providing free advertising to YouGov in return for providing the content.
How proud is your area to be English? on 09:16 - Jun 4 with 5803 viewshomer_123

Agreed - what purpose does it serve?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

How proud is your area to be English? on 09:32 - Jun 4 with 5773 viewshammo56

How proud is your area to be English? on 02:59 - Jun 4 by floridablue

Late night and i don't think i've really had time to digest this topic but ..wow!! 15 years of living this side of the pond and if it ever crops up in conversation i still refer to myself as from England over Britain to our cousins!

When I lived in the States if asked I always said I was English rather than British.
How proud is your area to be English? on 09:36 - Jun 4 with 5757 viewsJ2BLUE

How proud is your area to be English? on 09:32 - Jun 4 by hammo56

When I lived in the States if asked I always said I was English rather than British.

I would say English too just because it answers their follow up question but English/British are interchangeable for me. If someone said are you British I would say yes.

Truly impaired.

How proud is your area to be English? on 09:48 - Jun 4 with 5733 viewsGuthrum

This rigmarole about the past being better than the future, that things are getting worse, that the man on the street can't influence change is something people have been saying as far back as narrative written records go. Romans and Greeks looked back on mythical heroic ages when men were men and society was properly ordered, comparing them with with the effete specimens and supposed chaos of their own day.

And it's mostly rubbish. There was that Conservative donor a couple of days ago who compared May's apparent lack of strong action on Brexit unfavourably with the perceived dynamism of Queen Elizabeth I - the latter, in reality, being notorious for her inability to make quick decisions, even during a crisis. Most of that reputation came from contemporary propaganda (e.g. the speech at Tilbury, given after the Armada had actually passed) and 19th century gloss.

There were times of positivity, often during periods of revolutionary change (political or economic). France in the early 1790s, Russia in 1921, the UK in the Victorian era and the "white heat of technology" growth from the late '60s to the 1990s which gave computing and fancy white goods/entertainment to all.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

How proud is your area to be English? on 09:53 - Jun 4 with 5712 viewsGuthrum

In fact has very little at all to do with the EU. More the deregulation of mortgage credit which started in this country and the USA.

How proud is your area to be English? on 09:58 - Jun 4 with 5694 viewsbrazil1982

20,000 respondents is still negligible.
How proud is your area to be English? on 09:58 - Jun 4 with 5697 viewsGuthrum

How proud is your area to be English? on 22:34 - Jun 3 by solemio

As can be seen from the large percentage of - unmentioned - "don't know" between either end (e.g. national average getting better 11%, getting worse 39%, thus a full 50% of respondents didn't go either way).
[Post edited 4 Jun 2018 10:06]

How proud is your area to be English? on 10:20 - Jun 4 with 5642 viewsKitman

You can actually buy the T shirt: "British by birth, English by the grace of God!"

Blog: [Blog] Interesting Start to the New Season

How proud is your area to be English? on 10:26 - Jun 4 with 5633 viewsJ2BLUE

How proud is your area to be English? on 10:20 - Jun 4 by Kitman

You can actually buy the T shirt: "British by birth, English by the grace of God!"

I love those t shirts. You know exactly the sort of person you're dealing with when you see someone wearing one.

Truly impaired.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024