Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Martin Samuel: McCarthy could be the first man to win Manager of the Year 09:44 - Sep 21 with 5827 viewstpsontour

Martin Samuel today:

Point two: Ipswich — fascinating this season, so I’m told.

Reader

Martin’s comments about Ipswich are typical of people who never actually visited Portman Road to watch the turgid non-football that Mick McCarthy’s team played week after week. Thousands of fans had voted with their feet, me included. I returned this season and have seen two entertaining games. Yes, the new manager is inexperienced at this level, but so were our most successful managers when they were appointed. Sir Alf Ramsey and Sir Bobby Robson did rather well given time, so most fans are happy to give Paul Hurst our full support. John Freezer, Stowmarket.

Reader

Ramsey and Robson were a different era. Your new, inexperienced, manager is operating under Marcus Evans. What McCarthy did under this constraint really was remarkable. Tyrone Mings bought for £10,000, sold for around £8m. Aaron Cresswell before him, £240,000 paid, sold for £3.75m plus add-ons. Huge profits on your best players, having to scrape lower and lower down the barrel to replace. McCarthy had you in the play-offs, and just outside the following season, it was hardly poor form. You should direct your anger towards Evans, not McCarthy. Krissyfer, Liverpool.

Samuel

Looking at the timing of his post, I’m guessing the two matches that John had witnessed the season at that point were the 2-2 opening day draw to Blackburn, and the 1-1 with Aston Villa on August 18. It wouldn’t have looked too bad back then. Since when there have been a further two 1-1 home draws, with Norwich and Brentford, so I hope he enjoys repetition: four draws, three with the same scoreline. He doesn’t mention going away to watch, but that’s now four straight defeats, seven goals conceded to one scored. Oh, and a EFL Cup exit at Exeter. I’ve got to admit, it all sounds fascinating and highly entertaining, what with the thrill of being bottom after eight games, and all the resulting tension. I am certainly feeling chastened for saying that McCarthy was doing an excellent job in reduced circumstances, given the meagre levels of investment, and that the quality of football was more a reflection of that than his personal preferences. Anyway, enjoy the thrills of this season, John, and the heady anticipation of that first win. At this rate, McCarthy could be the first man to win Manager of the Year, 12 months after terminating his employment.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-6185645/MARTIN-SAMUEL-Jose-Mourinho-Wa
Martin Samuel: McCarthy could be the first man to win Manager of the Year on 09:50 - Sep 21 with 5025 viewsfactual_blue

What's really astounding is comments from mail online readers that don't abuse foreigners.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Martin Samuel: McCarthy could be the first man to win Manager of the Year on 09:53 - Sep 21 with 5006 viewsBluefish

Without Mick we are guaranteed to finish above 12th, play the kids and play liquid football every match. Case closed

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Martin Samuel: McCarthy could be the first man to win Manager of the Year on 09:59 - Sep 21 with 4949 viewsNuggets

Martin Samuel is the Richard Littlejohn of sports reporting.

He was genuinely insightful and fairly witty a decade or so ago, Martin now just churns out lazy, provocative articles for the Daily Mail in the hope of boosting ad revenues. Mick is a personable character, who made a lot of contacts in the media throughout his managerial career to help his press coverage. Nothing wrong there at all. This isn't the first article that Martin has penned bemoaning the departure of Mick from Ipswich. He's willingly bought into the narrative that Ipswich fans 'hounded out' Mick for mid-table finishes, which is an inaccurate, exaggerated generalisation.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to Martin, because if results pick up and we climb the table, we won't hear another word on McCarthy from him. He would have moved on to supporting another managerial mate who has fallen foul of 'ungrateful' supporters.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2018 10:00]

Blog: Disappointing Result, But Can Some of Us Drop the Sense of Entitlement?

Martin Samuel: McCarthy could be the first man to win Manager of the Year on 10:05 - Sep 21 with 4882 viewsHorseboy

Martin Samuel: McCarthy could be the first man to win Manager of the Year on 09:59 - Sep 21 by Nuggets

Martin Samuel is the Richard Littlejohn of sports reporting.

He was genuinely insightful and fairly witty a decade or so ago, Martin now just churns out lazy, provocative articles for the Daily Mail in the hope of boosting ad revenues. Mick is a personable character, who made a lot of contacts in the media throughout his managerial career to help his press coverage. Nothing wrong there at all. This isn't the first article that Martin has penned bemoaning the departure of Mick from Ipswich. He's willingly bought into the narrative that Ipswich fans 'hounded out' Mick for mid-table finishes, which is an inaccurate, exaggerated generalisation.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to Martin, because if results pick up and we climb the table, we won't hear another word on McCarthy from him. He would have moved on to supporting another managerial mate who has fallen foul of 'ungrateful' supporters.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2018 10:00]

The Scouser hits the nail on the head, Evans.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2018 10:05]
Martin Samuel: McCarthy could be the first man to win Manager of the Year on 10:06 - Sep 21 with 4860 viewsBluefish

Martin Samuel: McCarthy could be the first man to win Manager of the Year on 10:05 - Sep 21 by Horseboy

We should sack Evans. That'll fix things

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Martin Samuel: McCarthy could be the first man to win Manager of the Year on 10:14 - Sep 21 with 4795 viewsNuggets

Martin Samuel: McCarthy could be the first man to win Manager of the Year on 10:05 - Sep 21 by Horseboy

The Scouser conveniently ignores the last two seasons, where we finished four points off the bottom three and then joint mid-table, where we were closer to relegation than the play offs.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2018 10:14]

Martin Samuel: McCarthy could be the first man to win Manager of the Year on 10:16 - Sep 21 with 4770 viewsgiant_stow

Martin Samuel: McCarthy could be the first man to win Manager of the Year on 10:14 - Sep 21 by Nuggets

The Scouser conveniently ignores the last two seasons, where we finished four points off the bottom three and then joint mid-table, where we were closer to relegation than the play offs.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2018 10:14]

Those finishes might seem like glory days in a few months. Top trolling from marty.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Martin Samuel: McCarthy could be the first man to win Manager of the Year on 10:19 - Sep 21 with 4745 viewsElephantintheRoom

Sad day when The Daily Mail is right.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Login to get fewer ads

Martin Samuel: McCarthy could be the first man to win Manager of the Year on 10:24 - Sep 21 with 4718 viewsTJS

Mick did a brilliant job in saving us from relegation.
We scraped into the play-offs mainly on the back of Daryl Murphy having the season of his life.
He had five full seasons at the club and the football was turning most supporters off.
The way some people carry on you would think we were the first club in history to get rid of a manager after several seasons of med-table mediocrity.
The fact that Ipswich don't change their managers every 6 months like a lot of other clubs is probably the main reason why anyone is still talking about it.
We may have got it wrong with his replacement but that is a separate issue.
Martin Samuel: McCarthy could be the first man to win Manager of the Year on 10:28 - Sep 21 with 4689 viewsitfcjoe

I know people don't like Mick, but is what he said really wrong?

Mick worked on a small budget here in the division and finished 9th, 6th, 7th, 16th and 12th - this is a results business and that is what he was judged on and succeeded.

If we go down this year, which isn't unlikely then it further illustrates the point that Mick was doing a good job under difficult circumstances with investment.

Doesn't mean the decision for him to be let go was the wrong one, but the stances taken that led to that view need to be considered.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Martin Samuel: McCarthy could be the first man to win Manager of the Year on 10:28 - Sep 21 with 4678 viewsNuggets

Martin Samuel: McCarthy could be the first man to win Manager of the Year on 10:16 - Sep 21 by giant_stow

Those finishes might seem like glory days in a few months. Top trolling from marty.

A speculative straw man argument.

The Scouser's original quote said 'McCarthy had you in the play-offs, and just outside the following season, it was hardly poor form.' This is evidently incorrect as the last two seasons before his resignation, he had us nearer to relegation than the play offs, and one of those only four points off relegation. In my book, this is not 'hardly poor form'.

Martin Samuel: McCarthy could be the first man to win Manager of the Year on 10:32 - Sep 21 with 4648 viewsNuggets

Martin Samuel: McCarthy could be the first man to win Manager of the Year on 10:28 - Sep 21 by itfcjoe

Mick worked on a small budget here in the division and finished 9th, 6th, 7th, 16th and 12th - this is a results business and that is what he was judged on and succeeded.

If we go down this year, which isn't unlikely then it further illustrates the point that Mick was doing a good job under difficult circumstances with investment.

Doesn't mean the decision for him to be let go was the wrong one, but the stances taken that led to that view need to be considered.

For the record, I agree Mick did a good job at Ipswich and he has my respect for having us punch mostly above our weight. Not to mention an actual play off campaign for the first time in around a decade. Having said that, based on the last two seasons at the club, I think both the owner and himself recognised it was time to go. He left with my best wishes and I think a majority of Ipswich fans are thankful for what he did with us. But reading paid journalists and people up in Liverpool retrospectively paint and exaggerate an inaccurate narrative, as well as twist facts and Mick's record to justify an opinion, is pretty irritating.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2018 10:35]

Martin Samuel: McCarthy could be the first man to win Manager of the Year on 10:34 - Sep 21 with 4642 viewsReuser_is_God

Martin Samuel: McCarthy could be the first man to win Manager of the Year on 10:28 - Sep 21 by itfcjoe

Agreed but can also see why the people are getting p1ssed off with the national media on the subject.

Their narrative seems to be that fans hounded McCarthy out & the Evans decided to get rid of him. He wasn't hounded out & the decision was a mutual one.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Martin Samuel: McCarthy could be the first man to win Manager of the Year on 10:39 - Sep 21 with 4576 viewsDarth_Koont

Martin Samuel: McCarthy could be the first man to win Manager of the Year on 10:24 - Sep 21 by TJS

Mick did a brilliant job in saving us from relegation.
We scraped into the play-offs mainly on the back of Daryl Murphy having the season of his life.
He had five full seasons at the club and the football was turning most supporters off.
The way some people carry on you would think we were the first club in history to get rid of a manager after several seasons of med-table mediocrity.
The fact that Ipswich don't change their managers every 6 months like a lot of other clubs is probably the main reason why anyone is still talking about it.
We may have got it wrong with his replacement but that is a separate issue.

I don't think it was the wrong time for Mick to leave.

But what still rankles is how he left and the vocal minority that started to represent us as fans to the wider world. That vocal minority were often OTT and disrespectful in their abuse towards MM and the team but invariably seemed to have an utterly simplistic view of where Mick was supposedly going wrong.

It's still early days for Hurst and I believe that the current situation can get a lot better. But perhaps a few are starting to see that the solution wasn't as simple and automatic as they thought.

Pronouns: He/Him

Martin Samuel: McCarthy could be the first man to win Manager of the Year on 10:42 - Sep 21 with 4564 viewsRadlett_blue

I, like most of our fans, also thought Mick was doing a good job in terms of results. However, the football was becoming increasingly poor & the relationship with the fans was broken. Crowds were falling steadily & those who did turn up were becoming increasingly disaffected. Therefore, it was the right decision to let Mick's contract expire.
We also all knew appointing a successful lower league manager would be a risk & we shall see how it turns out. That doesn't mean it was wrong to change.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Martin Samuel: McCarthy could be the first man to win Manager of the Year on 10:44 - Sep 21 with 4552 viewsDarth_Koont

Martin Samuel: McCarthy could be the first man to win Manager of the Year on 10:34 - Sep 21 by Reuser_is_God

Agreed but can also see why the people are getting p1ssed off with the national media on the subject.

Their narrative seems to be that fans hounded McCarthy out & the Evans decided to get rid of him. He wasn't hounded out & the decision was a mutual one.

I'd agree on the whole. But unfortunately that's how fans and clubs are perceived — by the noises coming out of them.

It's a shame that our reputation and the job MM did overall both took a bashing when it was clear he was ALREADY leaving. That was madness.

Martin Samuel: McCarthy could be the first man to win Manager of the Year on 10:47 - Sep 21 with 4521 viewsReuser_is_God

Martin Samuel: McCarthy could be the first man to win Manager of the Year on 10:44 - Sep 21 by Darth_Koont

I'd agree on the whole. But unfortunately that's how fans and clubs are perceived — by the noises coming out of them.

It's a shame that our reputation and the job MM did overall both took a bashing when it was clear he was ALREADY leaving. That was madness.

Agree, the day it was announced he was off it should've all stopped.

In fairness Evans should never have asked him to carry on until end of season initially, what was the point?

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Martin Samuel: McCarthy could be the first man to win Manager of the Year on 10:51 - Sep 21 with 4477 viewsDarth_Koont

Martin Samuel: McCarthy could be the first man to win Manager of the Year on 10:47 - Sep 21 by Reuser_is_God

Agree, the day it was announced he was off it should've all stopped.

In fairness Evans should never have asked him to carry on until end of season initially, what was the point?

Because any rational person wouldn't see a problem with that. Happens all the time.

Martin Samuel: McCarthy could be the first man to win Manager of the Year on 11:03 - Sep 21 with 4397 viewsTractorWood

Shock as Ipswich fan refers to past to validate a theory.

The years of underinvestment in our squad will be the reason we might go down. This was evident in the last two years of MM where we were rescued time and again by amazing loanees or the best goalkeeping performances in the league. Which Samuel pays not even lip service to.

Samuel is MM's mate, engaging him is pointless.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Martin Samuel: McCarthy could be the first man to win Manager of the Year on 11:09 - Sep 21 with 4364 viewstpsontour

Martin Samuel: McCarthy could be the first man to win Manager of the Year on 10:34 - Sep 21 by Reuser_is_God

The national media narrative isn't wrong. Mick's contract was up for renewal. He intimated he was up for negotiating a new one. The players were happy. And he was making huge profits for Evans while overachieving in league positions on a bottom six budget. Where it went wrong was supporters bored by 16 straight Championship seasons and needs must, pragmatic but effective football and Mick talking himself out of a job, fuelled by a local media narrative of Mick vs the fans. A vocal minority abused Mick regardless of scorelines during games, even disgracefully during the derby. Had Chambo's goal been the derby winner, Evans might have got away with renewing Mick's contract. It wasn't and his position became untenable. He needed police protection from halfwits at Brentford who had been singing that he was a paedo. He resigned the following Tuesday, hounded out before the end of the season when it had already been announced he was leaving. All those fans who said they would return in droves when Mick left were conspicuous by their absence on Tuesday - only 14,400 tickets sold to ITFC fans for a night that was a tribute to the Beat. Maybe regularly failing to win football matches and being bottom of the table isn't any more entertaining? And when you compare their respective CVs as a player and manager and the lower league players brought in to replace Championship experience, is it any surprise that Hurst is so far struggling to get anywhere near to matching Mick's results? Hurst was the cheap option for Evans as a Mick lite to get the best out of bargain buys. Unless Evans ups his investment (unlikely and it's his money) or sells to someone with deeper pockets prepared to blow money that Evans isn't (also unlikely) we're stuck in a downward spiral amid an ever worsening financial handicap. That spiral was gradual under Mick but could easily accelerate rapidly now he's gone
Martin Samuel: McCarthy could be the first man to win Manager of the Year on 11:20 - Sep 21 with 4296 viewsDarth_Koont

Martin Samuel: McCarthy could be the first man to win Manager of the Year on 11:03 - Sep 21 by TractorWood

Shock as Ipswich fan refers to past to validate a theory.

The years of underinvestment in our squad will be the reason we might go down. This was evident in the last two years of MM where we were rescued time and again by amazing loanees or the best goalkeeping performances in the league. Which Samuel pays not even lip service to.

Samuel is MM's mate, engaging him is pointless.

I don't agree with that idea of slow decline.

Results-wise, yes we had a dip in the last couple of years. But we've been putting our weight behind a more long-term 5 point plan that rebuilt our pipeline of young players coming through and invested in undervalued, younger players from elsewhere.

Due to injuries, we missed out on the benefit of that last season in a crucial area of the pitch (Huws, Adeyemi, Dozzell and Bishop all out for the year effectively).

But with other youngsters stepping up and proving themselves almost ready, I don't think we have had a stronger, more valuable squad in the past three or four years. Hurst capitalised on that value to generate funds to bring in a lot of new players. We haven't seen the benefit of that (and maybe it's been too much too soon) but we're arguably still in a good position to enjoy the fruits of the previous years' work.

Martin Samuel: McCarthy could be the first man to win Manager of the Year on 11:39 - Sep 21 with 4203 viewsTractorWood

Martin Samuel: McCarthy could be the first man to win Manager of the Year on 11:20 - Sep 21 by Darth_Koont

I don't agree with that idea of slow decline.

Results-wise, yes we had a dip in the last couple of years. But we've been putting our weight behind a more long-term 5 point plan that rebuilt our pipeline of young players coming through and invested in undervalued, younger players from elsewhere.

Due to injuries, we missed out on the benefit of that last season in a crucial area of the pitch (Huws, Adeyemi, Dozzell and Bishop all out for the year effectively).

But with other youngsters stepping up and proving themselves almost ready, I don't think we have had a stronger, more valuable squad in the past three or four years. Hurst capitalised on that value to generate funds to bring in a lot of new players. We haven't seen the benefit of that (and maybe it's been too much too soon) but we're arguably still in a good position to enjoy the fruits of the previous years' work.

Dozzell is acceptable but the rest is escapism. Due to injuries to the same injury prone players for the last 2 years. It was summarised to me when we signed Jonny Williams the last time on deadline day. We signed an injury prone player who had spent previous injury ridden spells with us and was injued at the time he signed again.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Martin Samuel: McCarthy could be the first man to win Manager of the Year on 11:47 - Sep 21 with 4161 viewsDarth_Koont

Martin Samuel: McCarthy could be the first man to win Manager of the Year on 11:39 - Sep 21 by TractorWood

Dozzell is acceptable but the rest is escapism. Due to injuries to the same injury prone players for the last 2 years. It was summarised to me when we signed Jonny Williams the last time on deadline day. We signed an injury prone player who had spent previous injury ridden spells with us and was injued at the time he signed again.

Jonny Williams last came to us 2 years ago and I'll bet you we didn't have to pay much for him by then, That was a low-risk gamble.

Martin Samuel: McCarthy could be the first man to win Manager of the Year on 11:58 - Sep 21 with 4121 viewsGarv

Martin Samuel: McCarthy could be the first man to win Manager of the Year on 11:09 - Sep 21 by tpsontour

The national media narrative isn't wrong. Mick's contract was up for renewal. He intimated he was up for negotiating a new one. The players were happy. And he was making huge profits for Evans while overachieving in league positions on a bottom six budget. Where it went wrong was supporters bored by 16 straight Championship seasons and needs must, pragmatic but effective football and Mick talking himself out of a job, fuelled by a local media narrative of Mick vs the fans. A vocal minority abused Mick regardless of scorelines during games, even disgracefully during the derby. Had Chambo's goal been the derby winner, Evans might have got away with renewing Mick's contract. It wasn't and his position became untenable. He needed police protection from halfwits at Brentford who had been singing that he was a paedo. He resigned the following Tuesday, hounded out before the end of the season when it had already been announced he was leaving. All those fans who said they would return in droves when Mick left were conspicuous by their absence on Tuesday - only 14,400 tickets sold to ITFC fans for a night that was a tribute to the Beat. Maybe regularly failing to win football matches and being bottom of the table isn't any more entertaining? And when you compare their respective CVs as a player and manager and the lower league players brought in to replace Championship experience, is it any surprise that Hurst is so far struggling to get anywhere near to matching Mick's results? Hurst was the cheap option for Evans as a Mick lite to get the best out of bargain buys. Unless Evans ups his investment (unlikely and it's his money) or sells to someone with deeper pockets prepared to blow money that Evans isn't (also unlikely) we're stuck in a downward spiral amid an ever worsening financial handicap. That spiral was gradual under Mick but could easily accelerate rapidly now he's gone

Even with a derby win I don't think a new contract for Mick would have been a popular decision.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Martin Samuel: McCarthy could be the first man to win Manager of the Year on 12:21 - Sep 21 with 4053 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I think we all know the truth lies somewhere in between.

I would however say that a MOTY probably wouldn't still be waiting for a job.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024