Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ads or your processing power? Bitcoin harvester 14:46 - Nov 9 with 7211 viewsGavTWTD

I've just recently found that we could run software on your browser that could harvest bitcoins. A company has designed the software so you have to opt into the service, with the idea that you no longer get ads on the site, instead you're paying for TWTD by harvesting bitcoins for us.

I've not even emailed Phil about this as this post is just for discussion, and I've no intention of implementing this without a lot more research and discussions with you lot, but it sounded an interesting idea and an alternative to ads which everyone hates, especially me.

I've no idea how much it would generate for us. The company that just introduced itself to me was CoinHive and I'm sure there are more.

I have no knowledge of bitcoins at all. I don't understand it, I'm not that embarassed to say, I just found it interesting.

Tractor boys website with a harvester?

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Ads or your processing power? Bitcoin harvester on 14:48 - Nov 9 with 4643 viewsfooters

Nice in theory, but the computing power necessary to solve a block, and thus make money, is so enormous that a network of potentially millions of home PCs would be necessary. The supercomputers currently used to maintain the BTC network consume tens of thousands of pounds in heating costs alone to run.

I'd steer clear, Gav.

Oh, and I like waking up to those Boohoo and Missguided adverts. So please keep those.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2018 14:49]

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Ads or your processing power? Bitcoin harvester on 14:54 - Nov 9 with 4613 viewswkj

I would sooner rather see TWTD run a patreon or membership style system for users to choose to donate directly for an Ad free version of the site than putting my processors through the ringer.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2018 14:54]

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Ads or your processing power? Bitcoin harvester on 14:56 - Nov 9 with 4597 viewsGavTWTD

Ads or your processing power? Bitcoin harvester on 14:54 - Nov 9 by wkj

I would sooner rather see TWTD run a patreon or membership style system for users to choose to donate directly for an Ad free version of the site than putting my processors through the ringer.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2018 14:54]

We already do offer that, but we don't publicise it. £3 a month or £24 a year.

The harvester is optional. If you have a slow device then it'd really cripple it I'd imagine.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.

Ads or your processing power? Bitcoin harvester on 14:58 - Nov 9 with 4579 viewshomer_123

I guess the ads provide cold hard cash.....would this provide Bitcoins? Which could be worthless at some point....? Also, the computing power required to actually get a coin must be huge.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Ads or your processing power? Bitcoin harvester on 15:01 - Nov 9 with 4572 viewsGavTWTD

Ads or your processing power? Bitcoin harvester on 14:48 - Nov 9 by footers

Nice in theory, but the computing power necessary to solve a block, and thus make money, is so enormous that a network of potentially millions of home PCs would be necessary. The supercomputers currently used to maintain the BTC network consume tens of thousands of pounds in heating costs alone to run.

I'd steer clear, Gav.

Oh, and I like waking up to those Boohoo and Missguided adverts. So please keep those.

We do have a lot of visitors using this site and our sister site FansNetwork.

Out of interest, I thought I'd look at our stats for last month. Was a quiet one actually, but there were 537,592 sessions at 6:01 minutes duration each session. That's about 54 thousand hours looking at TWTD alone.

Ads or your processing power? Bitcoin harvester on 15:03 - Nov 9 with 4564 viewsfooters

Ads or your processing power? Bitcoin harvester on 14:58 - Nov 9 by homer_123

I guess the ads provide cold hard cash.....would this provide Bitcoins? Which could be worthless at some point....? Also, the computing power required to actually get a coin must be huge.

That's two other problems with it, really. First is market volatility; the second is other cryptos (and BTC itself) now moving to consensuses which eliminate miners from the network altogether. I think BTC are adopting a hybrid with some miners now, but those with the highest power will get priority in the network.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Ads or your processing power? Bitcoin harvester on 15:07 - Nov 9 with 4540 viewsGeoffSentence

Ads or your processing power? Bitcoin harvester on 14:48 - Nov 9 by footers

I'd steer clear, Gav.

Pfft. The browser on my quantum computer would soon rack up the cash.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Ads or your processing power? Bitcoin harvester on 15:07 - Nov 9 with 4541 viewshoppy

Ads or your processing power? Bitcoin harvester on 15:01 - Nov 9 by GavTWTD

Out of interest, I thought I'd look at our stats for last month. Was a quiet one actually, but there were 537,592 sessions at 6:01 minutes duration each session. That's about 54 thousand hours looking at TWTD alone.

Against those 6:01 minutes, I wonder how much more than that was Footers' viewing of the aforementioned Boohoo and Missguided adverts?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Login to get fewer ads

Ads or your processing power? Bitcoin harvester on 15:08 - Nov 9 with 4538 viewsJ2BLUE

I don't mind the ads. I honestly don't even consciously notice them unless it's the Ashley Graham one which draws the eye a bit more...

I don't mind ads unless they obstruct viewing which the TWTD ones don't. I guiltily have ad block enabled for the NFL site as they frequently have banner ads down both sides which obstruct the actual content.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Ads or your processing power? Bitcoin harvester on 15:14 - Nov 9 with 4525 viewswkj

Gav if you could PM me that information I would be most appreciative (RE TWTD membership)

Ads or your processing power? Bitcoin harvester on 15:17 - Nov 9 with 4507 viewsKeno

I have no idea what that all means

But I would be to happy to pay a subscription

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Ads or your processing power? Bitcoin harvester on 15:19 - Nov 9 with 4490 viewsCOYBitfc

Can you say that in English please?

Poll: Current/prospective ST holders, what scenario will you purchase for next season?

Ads or your processing power? Bitcoin harvester on 15:20 - Nov 9 with 4474 viewshoppy

Ads or your processing power? Bitcoin harvester on 15:14 - Nov 9 by wkj

Gav if you could PM me that information I would be most appreciative (RE TWTD membership)

I can give you the info over that pint, if you like?

Ads or your processing power? Bitcoin harvester on 15:21 - Nov 9 with 4478 viewsDanTheMan

I would mention that whilst CPU time is cheap on computers, on mobile devices those things eat battery. But then again, so do auto playing videos.

I echo the call for a Patreon. Easy to set up and you could integrate it to make TWTD ad free for those that pay without manual intervention then. Plus it just gives people a way to directly support the good work you guys do.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Ads or your processing power? Bitcoin harvester on 15:26 - Nov 9 with 4446 viewsJ2BLUE

Ads or your processing power? Bitcoin harvester on 15:21 - Nov 9 by DanTheMan

I would mention that whilst CPU time is cheap on computers, on mobile devices those things eat battery. But then again, so do auto playing videos.

I echo the call for a Patreon. Easy to set up and you could integrate it to make TWTD ad free for those that pay without manual intervention then. Plus it just gives people a way to directly support the good work you guys do.

More than happy to pay a monthly fee but can you imagine the demands from some people? It's free now and yet there's always a few who expect more.

Truly impaired.

Ads or your processing power? Bitcoin harvester on 15:26 - Nov 9 with 4444 viewsSwansea_Blue

Ads or your processing power? Bitcoin harvester on 15:07 - Nov 9 by hoppy

Against those 6:01 minutes, I wonder how much more than that was Footers' viewing of the aforementioned Boohoo and Missguided adverts?

If the average is 6 minutes, there's a serious lack of dedication out there. I must be on for about 6 hours a day, even if half the time it's just sitting in the background.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Ads or your processing power? Bitcoin harvester on 15:27 - Nov 9 with 4442 viewswkj

Ads or your processing power? Bitcoin harvester on 15:20 - Nov 9 by hoppy

I can give you the info over that pint, if you like?

Nice one Hops, you free next Christmas?

Ads or your processing power? Bitcoin harvester on 15:28 - Nov 9 with 4429 viewsJ2BLUE

Ads or your processing power? Bitcoin harvester on 15:27 - Nov 9 by wkj

*cough* it's a trap *cough*

Truly impaired.

Ads or your processing power? Bitcoin harvester on 15:28 - Nov 9 with 4427 viewshoppy

Ads or your processing power? Bitcoin harvester on 15:27 - Nov 9 by wkj

'Next Christmas', as in 2019, or are you calling 'next' Christmas as being the next Christmas we come to, so therefore in the next couple of months?

If it's the former, I'll start getting a complex...

Ads or your processing power? Bitcoin harvester on 15:29 - Nov 9 with 4425 viewswkj

Ads or your processing power? Bitcoin harvester on 15:28 - Nov 9 by hoppy

'Next Christmas', as in 2019, or are you calling 'next' Christmas as being the next Christmas we come to, so therefore in the next couple of months?

If it's the former, I'll start getting a complex...

Do not get a complex, I just want to make sure im beautiful for you xxx

Ads or your processing power? Bitcoin harvester on 15:32 - Nov 9 with 4413 viewsGavTWTD

Ads or your processing power? Bitcoin harvester on 15:26 - Nov 9 by Swansea_Blue

If the average is 6 minutes, there's a serious lack of dedication out there. I must be on for about 6 hours a day, even if half the time it's just sitting in the background.

If you don't access the site in 30 mins, then that session is over and a new one is started. That's an average of course. There'll be loads of people that look at one page then go.

Ads or your processing power? Bitcoin harvester on 16:00 - Nov 9 with 4341 viewsMannersBlue

The main problem with these bitcoin havesters is that a lot of anti-viruses will pick up on them as being malware/virus and block them or possibly the site itself. This will also cause some anti-viruses to warn/block users from visiting or searching for the site in google. There are also plenty that are more than a bit questionable on what they are actually running.
Ads or your processing power? Bitcoin harvester on 16:03 - Nov 9 with 4330 viewsgiant_stow

Ads or your processing power? Bitcoin harvester on 15:01 - Nov 9 by GavTWTD

Impressive numbers Mr. Hope you and Phil make a comfortable living out of them - the site is top notch (shame about the team)

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Ads or your processing power? Bitcoin harvester on 16:08 - Nov 9 with 4314 viewshomer_123

Ads or your processing power? Bitcoin harvester on 16:03 - Nov 9 by giant_stow

Impressive numbers Mr. Hope you and Phil make a comfortable living out of them - the site is top notch (shame about the team)

Gav's surname is Hope?

Hope and Ham, what's Marks then?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Ads or your processing power? Bitcoin harvester on 16:10 - Nov 9 with 4312 viewsGavTWTD

Ads or your processing power? Bitcoin harvester on 16:00 - Nov 9 by MannersBlue

The main problem with these bitcoin havesters is that a lot of anti-viruses will pick up on them as being malware/virus and block them or possibly the site itself. This will also cause some anti-viruses to warn/block users from visiting or searching for the site in google. There are also plenty that are more than a bit questionable on what they are actually running.

Yes, I had that problem looking at the site itself as it was blocked. I was just interested by the whole idea.

I remember some time ago connecting my PC to some SETI thing and left it on for ages. I didn't find any.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024