Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I wonder if some of the parents regret not vaccinating their child. 15:47 - Nov 20 with 13003 viewsMattinLondon

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46267038
I wonder if some of the parents regret not vaccinating their child. on 15:52 - Nov 20 with 3047 viewsBlueBadger

They'll probably claim the they're just 'boosting natural immunity'. Never mind their kids are endangering young children, elderly people and those with compromised immune systems.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

I wonder if some of the parents regret not vaccinating their child. on 15:53 - Nov 20 with 3044 viewsStokieBlue

Saw it yesterday and thought it was ridiculous but I believe anti-vaxing caused an argument last time and I couldn't be bothered.

It's madness though, luckily it's only chicken pox this time, could be much worse next time.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

on 15:55 - Nov 20 with 3034 views_

I wonder if some of the parents regret not vaccinating their child. on 16:01 - Nov 20 with 3011 viewsSpruceMoose

Anti-Vax = Child Neglect.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

I wonder if some of the parents regret not vaccinating their child. on 16:02 - Nov 20 with 3007 viewsMattinLondon

I wonder if some of the parents regret not vaccinating their child. on 15:53 - Nov 20 by StokieBlue

Saw it yesterday and thought it was ridiculous but I believe anti-vaxing caused an argument last time and I couldn't be bothered.

It's madness though, luckily it's only chicken pox this time, could be much worse next time.

SB

I agree. I don’t for one second believe that doctors opinions should go unchallenged but all the evidence points to vaccinations being good.
I wonder if some of the parents regret not vaccinating their child. on 16:03 - Nov 20 with 3004 viewsBlueBadger

I wonder if some of the parents regret not vaccinating their child. on 16:02 - Nov 20 by MattinLondon

I agree. I don’t for one second believe that doctors opinions should go unchallenged but all the evidence points to vaccinations being good.

There is literally centuries of evidence to support vaccination.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

I wonder if some of the parents regret not vaccinating their child. on 16:04 - Nov 20 with 2994 viewsGeoffSentence

on 15:55 - Nov 20 by _

I don't know if it is still a thing, but people used to hve chickenpox parties for just that reason.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

I wonder if some of the parents regret not vaccinating their child. on 16:08 - Nov 20 with 2985 viewsMattinLondon

I wonder if some of the parents regret not vaccinating their child. on 16:03 - Nov 20 by BlueBadger

There is literally centuries of evidence to support vaccination.

Unfortunately it only takes one loud crackpot with an ounce of credibility and a whole bunch of people refuse to vaccinate their children.
Login to get fewer ads

I wonder if some of the parents regret not vaccinating their child. on 16:11 - Nov 20 with 2980 viewsSpruceMoose

I wonder if some of the parents regret not vaccinating their child. on 16:08 - Nov 20 by MattinLondon

Unfortunately it only takes one loud crackpot with an ounce of credibility and a whole bunch of people refuse to vaccinate their children.

I wouldn't be against it being made a criminal offence...

Keep your kid out of school, offence. Deliberately risk the health of your child? Offence.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

I wonder if some of the parents regret not vaccinating their child. on 16:13 - Nov 20 with 2977 viewsBlueBadger

I wonder if some of the parents regret not vaccinating their child. on 16:08 - Nov 20 by MattinLondon

Wakefield is the classic offender in this one. Not only were his findings and methodology flawed, but he failed to declare as an interest that he was working for a rival company to the manufacturers of the MMR vaccine. Honourable shout out to Tony Blair for his cowardice in not saying 'of course, my kids had it I'm not a moron', the Daily Mail and most disappointingly(given their usual due diligence over this sort of thing) Private Eye.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2018 18:11]

I wonder if some of the parents regret not vaccinating their child. on 16:14 - Nov 20 with 2974 viewsfooters

I wonder if some of the parents regret not vaccinating their child. on 16:11 - Nov 20 by SpruceMoose

I wouldn't be against it being made a criminal offence...

Keep your kid out of school, offence. Deliberately risk the health of your child? Offence.

Then you get all the furore with the likes of those Alfie's Army nutters. Doctors do what's in the clinical interest; 'concerned mothers and christians' who know nothing about the situation or medicine indirectly endanger the child's life.

Must be a lot worse over the pond though.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

I wonder if some of the parents regret not vaccinating their child. on 16:17 - Nov 20 with 2966 viewsSWGF

There isn't a chickenpox vaccine which is given as standard, as far as I'm aware.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

I wonder if some of the parents regret not vaccinating their child. on 16:17 - Nov 20 with 2968 viewsSpruceMoose

I wonder if some of the parents regret not vaccinating their child. on 16:14 - Nov 20 by footers

Then you get all the furore with the likes of those Alfie's Army nutters. Doctors do what's in the clinical interest; 'concerned mothers and christians' who know nothing about the situation or medicine indirectly endanger the child's life.

Must be a lot worse over the pond though.

I'm sick of being told we need to respect the views on lunatics and morons by right wing chin strokers and 'right on' libertarian nitwits. These goons are going to goon whether we listen to them or not.

That's why we need to legislate their ignorance out of the equation. Let them whinge about it on Mumsnet. In the meantime, in the real world, Polio won't be making a resurgence.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2018 16:20]

I wonder if some of the parents regret not vaccinating their child. on 16:20 - Nov 20 with 2960 viewsSpruceMoose

I wonder if some of the parents regret not vaccinating their child. on 16:17 - Nov 20 by SWGF

There isn't a chickenpox vaccine which is given as standard, as far as I'm aware.

There is in the US I believe. I'm making that assumption because I would have had to have had a vaccination to pass my visa medical if I had not been able to provide evidence I'd had Chickenpox as a kid.

I wonder if some of the parents regret not vaccinating their child. on 16:20 - Nov 20 with 2959 viewsStokieBlue

I wonder if some of the parents regret not vaccinating their child. on 16:17 - Nov 20 by SWGF

There is in the US.

It's part of a wider thing though - it could easily be measles next time.

SB
[Post edited 20 Nov 2018 16:21]

I wonder if some of the parents regret not vaccinating their child. on 16:22 - Nov 20 with 2938 viewsSWGF

I wonder if some of the parents regret not vaccinating their child. on 16:20 - Nov 20 by SpruceMoose

There is in the US I believe. I'm making that assumption because I would have had to have had a vaccination to pass my visa medical if I had not been able to provide evidence I'd had Chickenpox as a kid.

Wonder why we don#t have one here then? SWGF Jnr had it when he was about 2yrs old. My little girl hasn't had it yet and she's 8. None of her friends have had it yet.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

I wonder if some of the parents regret not vaccinating their child. on 16:23 - Nov 20 with 2939 viewsfactual_blue

I wonder if some of the parents regret not vaccinating their child. on 15:52 - Nov 20 by BlueBadger

They'll probably claim the they're just 'boosting natural immunity'. Never mind their kids are endangering young children, elderly people and those with compromised immune systems.

...but particularly elderly people.

Are people who had chicken pox in childhood and again in their early 40s more at risk?

(Asking for a friend)

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

I wonder if some of the parents regret not vaccinating their child. on 16:23 - Nov 20 with 2936 viewsGeoffSentence

I wonder if some of the parents regret not vaccinating their child. on 16:20 - Nov 20 by StokieBlue

There is in the US.

It's part of a wider thing though - it could easily be measles next time.

SB
[Post edited 20 Nov 2018 16:21]

I wonder why it is not available here.

I wonder if some of the parents regret not vaccinating their child. on 16:25 - Nov 20 with 2932 viewsfooters

I wonder if some of the parents regret not vaccinating their child. on 16:23 - Nov 20 by GeoffSentence

From the NHS:

"The chickenpox vaccine is not part of the routine UK childhood vaccination programme because chickenpox is usually a mild illness, particularly in children.

There's also a worry that introducing chickenpox vaccination for all children could increase the risk of chickenpox and shingles in adults."

To be fair, chicken pox isn't really that harmful is it? That said, my grandad got it at quite an old age and it was very nasty indeed.

Edit: I'm not quite sure why the vaccine would increase the risk? Isn't it always a one-off illness?
[Post edited 20 Nov 2018 16:26]

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

I wonder if some of the parents regret not vaccinating their child. on 16:26 - Nov 20 with 2930 viewsSpruceMoose

I wonder if some of the parents regret not vaccinating their child. on 16:23 - Nov 20 by GeoffSentence

Edit - Quickdraw McGraw above me beat me with his Googles.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2018 16:27]

I wonder if some of the parents regret not vaccinating their child. on 16:29 - Nov 20 with 2910 viewsMattinLondon

I wonder if some of the parents regret not vaccinating their child. on 16:13 - Nov 20 by BlueBadger

Wakefield is the classic offender in this one. Not only were his findings and methodology flawed, but he failed to declare as an interest that he was working for a rival company to the manufacturers of the MMR vaccine. Honourable shout out to Tony Blair for his cowardice in not saying 'of course, my kids had it I'm not a moron', the Daily Mail and most disappointingly(given their usual due diligence over this sort of thing) Private Eye.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2018 18:11]

If I remember correctly Peter Hutchins was quite vocal against the MMR vaccine linking it with autism. Not sure if he still believes this - as that doctor has since been discredited- or if he has rethought his position.
I wonder if some of the parents regret not vaccinating their child. on 16:29 - Nov 20 with 2910 viewsGeoffSentence

I wonder if some of the parents regret not vaccinating their child. on 16:25 - Nov 20 by footers

From the NHS:

"The chickenpox vaccine is not part of the routine UK childhood vaccination programme because chickenpox is usually a mild illness, particularly in children.

There's also a worry that introducing chickenpox vaccination for all children could increase the risk of chickenpox and shingles in adults."

To be fair, chicken pox isn't really that harmful is it? That said, my grandad got it at quite an old age and it was very nasty indeed.

Edit: I'm not quite sure why the vaccine would increase the risk? Isn't it always a one-off illness?
[Post edited 20 Nov 2018 16:26]

It's a one off childhood illness, but as I understand it, it remains in your system and can come out s shingles in later life.

I wonder if some of the parents regret not vaccinating their child. on 16:35 - Nov 20 with 2899 viewsfactual_blue

on 15:55 - Nov 20 by _

In the UK it's only given by the NHS to specific groups of people

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/chickenpox-vaccine/
[Post edited 20 Nov 2018 16:36]

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

I wonder if some of the parents regret not vaccinating their child. on 16:48 - Nov 20 with 2869 viewscaught-in-limbo

It would have been helpful if the BBC article had confirmed that those that were unvaccinated were the ones that had chickenpox rather than just plant the suggestion.

Here in Spain it's a bit like 1980's Britain - there is no chickenpox vaccine, or if there is, it's optional. Doctors here rightly point out that the dangers of chickenpox are far greater for adults and while I've not heard of "chickenpox parties" here, parents will often swap their children's toothbrushes if one of their kids has got chickenpox. I understand that it's exceptionally rare to get chickenpox as an adult if you've had it as a child.

In the same vein of giving statistics that are not necessarily congruent with other information (like with the BBC above), I will point out that the Basque Country has Europe's highest life expectancy (for women).

http://en.eustat.eus/elementos/ele0010800/ti_The_life_expectancy_of_Basque_women

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

I wonder if some of the parents regret not vaccinating their child. on 17:02 - Nov 20 with 2831 viewsStokieBlue

I wonder if some of the parents regret not vaccinating their child. on 16:48 - Nov 20 by caught-in-limbo

It would have been helpful if the BBC article had confirmed that those that were unvaccinated were the ones that had chickenpox rather than just plant the suggestion.

Here in Spain it's a bit like 1980's Britain - there is no chickenpox vaccine, or if there is, it's optional. Doctors here rightly point out that the dangers of chickenpox are far greater for adults and while I've not heard of "chickenpox parties" here, parents will often swap their children's toothbrushes if one of their kids has got chickenpox. I understand that it's exceptionally rare to get chickenpox as an adult if you've had it as a child.

In the same vein of giving statistics that are not necessarily congruent with other information (like with the BBC above), I will point out that the Basque Country has Europe's highest life expectancy (for women).

http://en.eustat.eus/elementos/ele0010800/ti_The_life_expectancy_of_Basque_women

"It would have been helpful if the BBC article had confirmed that those that were unvaccinated were the ones that had chickenpox rather than just plant the suggestion."

It would have been nice but I doubt they have cross-referenced figures like that. We can do some deductions of our own though.

The vaccine is 95% efficient against severe chicken pox and 10-30% efficient against very mild chicken pox. You can work out reasonable numbers from those ratios and all cases except ridiculous tail events lead to a majority of the cases being unvaccinated children.

SB
[Post edited 20 Nov 2018 17:03]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024