Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Total farce 22:08 - Apr 1 with 10256 viewsStokieBlue

They still can't agree on anything.

I think we all need to channel a bit of Douglas Adams at this point.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Total farce on 22:10 - Apr 1 with 3355 viewsSpruceMoose

Or Guy Fawkes.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Total farce on 22:12 - Apr 1 with 3345 viewsJ2BLUE

Even if the customs union had won we would then see the cabinet and DUP come back to vote it down.

Shambles from the Tories.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Total farce on 22:13 - Apr 1 with 3325 viewsfooters

Well, I did win a bet. So there are some winners.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Total farce on 22:15 - Apr 1 with 3318 viewsblueislander

The EU must be in a state of disbelief that UK MPs cannot get anywhere near resolving this.
Total farce on 22:15 - Apr 1 with 3315 viewsStokieBlue

Total farce on 22:12 - Apr 1 by J2BLUE

Even if the customs union had won we would then see the cabinet and DUP come back to vote it down.

Shambles from the Tories.

Bowles just resigned the Tory whip in the house.

Meltdown.

SB

Total farce on 22:33 - Apr 1 with 3263 viewsGuthrum

Total farce on 22:15 - Apr 1 by blueislander

The EU must be in a state of disbelief that UK MPs cannot get anywhere near resolving this.

Problem being that there is no solution.

Whatever the possible outcome, a large group of people strongly disapprove of it. Given there are a number of outcomes, none can gain an overall majority.

Because it's been made an issue about "freedoms" (from the EU, to be part of an international community) and futures (standing on our own feet, avoiding economic damage), it's become so hotly emotive that any kind of compromise or middle ground has turned into a hostile environment under attack from the extremes.

That's before we even bring party politics into the equation.

I'm not sure we as a nation or a body politic are mature enough for a debate of this magnitude. It's closer to the frenzy of the 17th century than the rationality and pragmatism of the 18th or 19th.
[Post edited 1 Apr 2019 22:43]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Total farce on 22:35 - Apr 1 with 3245 viewswkj

It all comes back to the 2017 general election; in hindsight I think may would have resigned there and then if she saw what was to come.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Total farce on 22:41 - Apr 1 with 3199 viewspointofblue

Total farce on 22:35 - Apr 1 by wkj

It all comes back to the 2017 general election; in hindsight I think may would have resigned there and then if she saw what was to come.

I disagree - May didn't hold enough of a majority from the 2015 general election to get anything through the House. She needed a landslide, gambled on getting one and failed.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Login to get fewer ads

Total farce on 22:43 - Apr 1 with 3185 viewsGuthrum

Total farce on 22:35 - Apr 1 by wkj

Given the number of Tory rebels on this issue, that maths wouldn't have worked out even before 2017, the majority was too slim. Her only hope was to make it a cross-party matter and cut out blanket opposition from Labour.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Total farce on 22:43 - Apr 1 with 3183 viewsMelford

I've always thought as soon as this Brexit process started I'd love to have Armando Iannucci back doing The Thick Of It but where we're going now is beyond satire.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Total farce on 22:46 - Apr 1 with 3171 viewswkj

Total farce on 22:43 - Apr 1 by Melford

I've always thought as soon as this Brexit process started I'd love to have Armando Iannucci back doing The Thick Of It but where we're going now is beyond satire.

The BBC in their infinite wisdom would probably hire gemma Collins to asumer the role of Tucker to add some credibility

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Total farce on 22:49 - Apr 1 with 3152 viewspointofblue

Total farce on 22:43 - Apr 1 by Melford

I think the hardline Brexiteers in the Conservatives have basically taken it to the point of save the country from No Deal and destroy the party. Saying that, I'm sure the opposition will find a way to block No Deal if May really wants to pursue that route which I don't think she does.

She could try tagging the Withdrawal Agreement onto a referendum against Remain and Brexit in a three way preferential vote, playing the Brexiteers and Remainers off one another by saying going back to the people in this manner is the only way they could get what they want - either a No Deal exit or Article 50 to be revoked as the Commons isn't in a position to deliver either.

Total farce on 22:50 - Apr 1 with 3152 viewsStokieBlue

Open fighting now.

SB

Total farce on 22:51 - Apr 1 with 3127 viewspointofblue

Total farce on 22:50 - Apr 1 by StokieBlue

Open fighting now.

SB

... Now?

Total farce on 22:53 - Apr 1 with 3121 viewsStokieBlue

Total farce on 22:51 - Apr 1 by pointofblue

... Now?

I don't think they have been quite as brazen as swearing at each other live on radio until now.

SB

Total farce on 23:03 - Apr 1 with 3084 viewspointofblue

Total farce on 22:53 - Apr 1 by StokieBlue

I don't think they have been quite as brazen as swearing at each other live on radio until now.

SB

I think they've been doing all but - it's been clear for a long time that the ERG are very much against Hammond.

To continue the farce, Anna Soubry has invited Nick Boles to join Change UK after he withdrew from the party whip this evening over the lack of compromise. How they voted in relation to Boles' proposal?

Anna Soubry - Against
Heidi Allen - Against
Sarah Wollaston - Against
Chuka Umunna - Against
Angela Smith - Against
Luciana Berger - Against
Ann Coffey - Against
Mike Gapes - Against
Chris Leslie - Against
Gavin Shuker - Against

Oops.

Total farce on 23:04 - Apr 1 with 3081 viewsMelford

Total farce on 22:49 - Apr 1 by pointofblue

I think the hardline Brexiteers in the Conservatives have basically taken it to the point of save the country from No Deal and destroy the party. Saying that, I'm sure the opposition will find a way to block No Deal if May really wants to pursue that route which I don't think she does.

She could try tagging the Withdrawal Agreement onto a referendum against Remain and Brexit in a three way preferential vote, playing the Brexiteers and Remainers off one another by saying going back to the people in this manner is the only way they could get what they want - either a No Deal exit or Article 50 to be revoked as the Commons isn't in a position to deliver either.

This whole disaster was brought on to supposedly unite the Tory party, the whole future of our country which they are flushing down the toilet after the biggest political turd of all time has been curled off in there is still about their squabbling. That German politician was right when he said all of those who pushed Brexit wouldn't be affected by it, the likes of Rees-Mogg can treat the commons like an extension of his university debating society and back his political dogma to the hilt because the effects of it won't have any effect on him. It's a ***king sad state of affairs when some loony Tory party within a party like the ERG and the DUP are heavyweight hitters in this process.

Total farce on 23:08 - Apr 1 with 3071 viewspointofblue

Total farce on 23:04 - Apr 1 by Melford

This whole disaster was brought on to supposedly unite the Tory party, the whole future of our country which they are flushing down the toilet after the biggest political turd of all time has been curled off in there is still about their squabbling. That German politician was right when he said all of those who pushed Brexit wouldn't be affected by it, the likes of Rees-Mogg can treat the commons like an extension of his university debating society and back his political dogma to the hilt because the effects of it won't have any effect on him. It's a ***king sad state of affairs when some loony Tory party within a party like the ERG and the DUP are heavyweight hitters in this process.

I think the whole Brexit saga was brought about by a nervous David Cameron trying to quell the UKIP vote but I don't think he considered how successful that would be - he expected it to be another hung parliament and five more years with the Lib Dems, who would immediately quash the referendum in return for support. He could then return to the ERG with a shrug and a 'I tried' without ever wanting to run a referendum on those terms. It was a political gamble which failed miserably.

The only thing I would say is I think Cameron would be a better PM than May at this moment as he seemed more capable of dealing and comprimising; May is very stubborn and locked in her view which has led us down this path.

Total farce on 23:52 - Apr 1 with 3013 viewsGlasgowBlue

Total farce on 23:03 - Apr 1 by pointofblue

I think they've been doing all but - it's been clear for a long time that the ERG are very much against Hammond.

To continue the farce, Anna Soubry has invited Nick Boles to join Change UK after he withdrew from the party whip this evening over the lack of compromise. How they voted in relation to Boles' proposal?

Anna Soubry - Against
Heidi Allen - Against
Sarah Wollaston - Against
Chuka Umunna - Against
Angela Smith - Against
Luciana Berger - Against
Ann Coffey - Against
Mike Gapes - Against
Chris Leslie - Against
Gavin Shuker - Against

Oops.

Another interesting stat I’ve just seen.

2️⃣7️⃣ votes short of a majority on the People's Vote option tonight.

2️⃣7️⃣ Labour MPs voted against it.

1️⃣8️⃣ Labour MP’s abstained

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Total farce on 00:02 - Apr 2 with 2983 viewspointofblue

Total farce on 23:52 - Apr 1 by GlasgowBlue

One more indicative vote process and the Custom Unions motion will probably get over the line, with the People's Vote possibly joining it, especially if the Speaker withdraws Common Market 2.0 and the Parliamentary Supremacy motions to focus minds further.

Total farce on 00:15 - Apr 2 with 2965 viewsMelford

Total farce on 23:08 - Apr 1 by pointofblue

I think the whole Brexit saga was brought about by a nervous David Cameron trying to quell the UKIP vote but I don't think he considered how successful that would be - he expected it to be another hung parliament and five more years with the Lib Dems, who would immediately quash the referendum in return for support. He could then return to the ERG with a shrug and a 'I tried' without ever wanting to run a referendum on those terms. It was a political gamble which failed miserably.

The only thing I would say is I think Cameron would be a better PM than May at this moment as he seemed more capable of dealing and comprimising; May is very stubborn and locked in her view which has led us down this path.

We have no proper statesmen politicians anymore, this situation would have been avoided if you had the likes of John Major and Gordon Brown opposing each other on the front benches, those two would be ideal right now. It was good to see Kenneth Clarke up there for a bit in Parliament, he's always been the reasonable voice of the Tory party when it comes to Europe, he's always stuck to his principles when it come to the EU even when it meant he was out of favour with certain types within his own party.

Total farce on 00:22 - Apr 2 with 2952 viewspointofblue

Total farce on 00:15 - Apr 2 by Melford

We have no proper statesmen politicians anymore, this situation would have been avoided if you had the likes of John Major and Gordon Brown opposing each other on the front benches, those two would be ideal right now. It was good to see Kenneth Clarke up there for a bit in Parliament, he's always been the reasonable voice of the Tory party when it comes to Europe, he's always stuck to his principles when it come to the EU even when it meant he was out of favour with certain types within his own party.

I think someone said that, bar a couple of people, the strongest and best politicians in the Conservative and Labour parties are on the back benches due to disagreements with the front bench or policy - the statesmen are there but they have generally be sidelined.

Total farce on 07:08 - Apr 2 with 2812 viewsfooters

Total farce on 23:52 - Apr 1 by GlasgowBlue

Very interesting stuff. Really makes ya fink.

Got a stat of my own as it happens:

1 - Number of parties that have brought the nation to its worst state of national crisis since the war.

All this to satisfy the right-wing of the Tory party. Well done, guys! :D

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Total farce on 08:01 - Apr 2 with 2713 viewsSteve_M

Mostly comes down to the Tories again, May stubbornly insisting it's her deal or no deal.

Although the refusal of TIG and the Lib Dems to vote for soft Brexit options is infuriating and misguided tactically.

There's a desperate need for an extension so there is space for politicians to think rationally; forcing May's deal through at this point will only store up more problems for the next few years.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Total farce on 08:19 - Apr 2 with 2674 viewsitfcjoe

The Remainers and Soft Brexiteers have shot themselves in the foot here - the LDs and TIGs could have got a couple of these motions with a majority had they voted for them.

Tories are ridiculous, but Labour gave a good amount of support (presumably whipped) to motions that weren't their own.

If we do end up back on the road to May's Deal or No Deal then there are a good number of MPs staunchly anti-Brexit who are now complicit in this as acted as dogmatically as the ERG and DUP last night - big mistake.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024