Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I'd say that was a poor result for the Brexit Party, despite Nigel's bluster 08:04 - Jun 7 with 6435 viewsGeoffSentence

Peterborough is a brexit heartland
It was a by-election - natural opportunity for a protest vote
Labour lost their incumbent to the legal system and a recall vote
Brexit party had their only face and media glamour boy standing

And still they didn't win.

I am encouraged.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

I'd say that was a poor result for the Brexit Party, despite Nigel's bluster on 08:06 - Jun 7 with 4709 viewsGuthrum

Farage wasn't the BP candidate.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I'd say that was a poor result for the Brexit Party, despite Nigel's bluster on 08:07 - Jun 7 with 4705 viewsGeoffSentence

I'd say that was a poor result for the Brexit Party, despite Nigel's bluster on 08:06 - Jun 7 by Guthrum

Farage wasn't the BP candidate.

Wasn't he??? Feck me, you'd never know it. ( I certainly didn't)

I'd say that was a poor result for the Brexit Party, despite Nigel's bluster on 08:20 - Jun 7 with 4680 viewshomer_123

Given how hard Labour fought the seat and BP is 8 weeks old - it's not exactly a bad result.

Not that I support Farage of the BP, also NF wasn't the candidate.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

I'd say that was a poor result for the Brexit Party, despite Nigel's bluster on 08:22 - Jun 7 with 4680 viewsHerbivore

I agree, said similar elsewhere. Everything looked set up for them to be able to win it and they didn't do so.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

I'd say that was a poor result for the Brexit Party, despite Nigel's bluster on 08:28 - Jun 7 with 4660 viewsGeoffSentence

I'd say that was a poor result for the Brexit Party, despite Nigel's bluster on 08:20 - Jun 7 by homer_123

Given how hard Labour fought the seat and BP is 8 weeks old - it's not exactly a bad result.

Not that I support Farage of the BP, also NF wasn't the candidate.

Yep, I've been corrected on the candidacy thing already. Given how much facetime he has had in the media for the by-election I honestly thought he was standing.

I'd say that was a poor result for the Brexit Party, despite Nigel's bluster on 08:33 - Jun 7 with 4635 viewsGunnsAirkick

Nige was there and looked very glum.

As his mate Trump would say; sad, so sad.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2019 8:33]
I'd say that was a poor result for the Brexit Party, despite Nigel's bluster on 08:38 - Jun 7 with 4618 viewsBigManBlue

On balance it probably isn't a bad result for the BP, given their age and the fact that European election protest votes rarely carry over so well into UK elections, as others have said.

I suspect Labour will be relieved that their support has apparently held up better than the Tories though, especially given the circumstances around the calling of the by-election.

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

I'd say that was a poor result for the Brexit Party, despite Nigel's bluster on 08:48 - Jun 7 with 4585 viewshomer_123

I'd say that was a poor result for the Brexit Party, despite Nigel's bluster on 08:28 - Jun 7 by GeoffSentence

Yep, I've been corrected on the candidacy thing already. Given how much facetime he has had in the media for the by-election I honestly thought he was standing.

Wasn't having a pop Geoff! ;)

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Login to get fewer ads

I'd say that was a poor result for the Brexit Party, despite Nigel's bluster on 08:52 - Jun 7 with 4565 viewsGeoffSentence

I'd say that was a poor result for the Brexit Party, despite Nigel's bluster on 08:48 - Jun 7 by homer_123

Wasn't having a pop Geoff! ;)

Yeah, knew you weren't. Hope my response didn't come across the wrong way.

Just felt that as I had been caught bang to rights on the question of the candidate, I had to explain myself.

I'd say that was a poor result for the Brexit Party, despite Nigel's bluster on 08:56 - Jun 7 with 4549 viewsSwansea_Blue

That's still a worryingly high number of people who voted for Nigel's company.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I'd say that was a poor result for the Brexit Party, despite Nigel's bluster on 09:00 - Jun 7 with 4543 viewsGeoffSentence

I'd say that was a poor result for the Brexit Party, despite Nigel's bluster on 08:56 - Jun 7 by Swansea_Blue

That's still a worryingly high number of people who voted for Nigel's company.

Yep, but if they can't win there when everything was aligned for them, they aren't going to win many seats in a general election.

I'd say that was a poor result for the Brexit Party, despite Nigel's bluster on 09:00 - Jun 7 with 4544 viewsElephantintheRoom

Poor result for democracy and really and illustrates why parliament is not capable of governing the country. The shiny new labour MP was voted for by 31% of the electorate - in other more than 2/3rds of the people who bothered to vote don't want her. Add on the fact that the next prime minsiter will be chosen by 130,000 rabid pensioners in the home counties and a new low beckons.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

I'd say that was a poor result for the Brexit Party, despite Nigel's bluster on 09:02 - Jun 7 with 4530 viewsHerbivore

I'd say that was a poor result for the Brexit Party, despite Nigel's bluster on 09:00 - Jun 7 by ElephantintheRoom

Poor result for democracy and really and illustrates why parliament is not capable of governing the country. The shiny new labour MP was voted for by 31% of the electorate - in other more than 2/3rds of the people who bothered to vote don't want her. Add on the fact that the next prime minsiter will be chosen by 130,000 rabid pensioners in the home counties and a new low beckons.

We need PR.

I'd say that was a poor result for the Brexit Party, despite Nigel's bluster on 09:04 - Jun 7 with 4523 viewsGeoffSentence

I'd say that was a poor result for the Brexit Party, despite Nigel's bluster on 09:00 - Jun 7 by ElephantintheRoom

Our democracy has always been questionable. That NF is making more people see that is the best thing that he has done.

I'd say that was a poor result for the Brexit Party, despite Nigel's bluster on 09:43 - Jun 7 with 4452 viewsitfcjoe

It's a decent result for the Brexit Party, but they went over the top over last 2-3 days as thought they were going to win so now looks bad and Farage has to come on and bluster away about it.

Good for Labour, and shows what a proper party can achieve with grassroots and canvassing and knowing how to actually get people out to vote.

The split of the vote will give more encopuragement to the Labour party to try and force a GE whilst Brexit Party are taking votes from the Tories and FPTP gives them a good chance of getting the most seats (but not a majority)

Bad for remainers - BXP taking so many votes from the Tories will stregthen the No Dealers in the party as they will feel the need to bring them all in as only way of staying in power

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I'd say that was a poor result for the Brexit Party, despite Nigel's bluster on 09:53 - Jun 7 with 4438 viewsPinewoodblue

I'd say that was a poor result for the Brexit Party, despite Nigel's bluster on 09:02 - Jun 7 by Herbivore

We need PR.

So you want to guarantee the likes of the Brexit party are represented in parliament.

The only viable alternative to first past the post is single transferrable vote.

Peterborough is a perpetual marginal as a consequence, under normal circumstances, both major parties have an efficient constituency party. They know their core support and get them to vote. The result reinforces Boris' comments about the conservative vote being desimated if they don't deliver Brexig.

I know, from friends, that Labour discouraged a protest vote

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

I'd say that was a poor result for the Brexit Party, despite Nigel's bluster on 10:02 - Jun 7 with 4417 viewsElephantintheRoom

I'd say that was a poor result for the Brexit Party, despite Nigel's bluster on 09:53 - Jun 7 by Pinewoodblue

So you want to guarantee the likes of the Brexit party are represented in parliament.

The only viable alternative to first past the post is single transferrable vote.

Peterborough is a perpetual marginal as a consequence, under normal circumstances, both major parties have an efficient constituency party. They know their core support and get them to vote. The result reinforces Boris' comments about the conservative vote being desimated if they don't deliver Brexig.

Labour IS a protest vote. The people of Peterborough spoke very eloquently of what they thought of this useless Tory government, putting them third in a two horse race in a seat they held before the forgetful driver won it at the last election.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

I'd say that was a poor result for the Brexit Party, despite Nigel's bluster on 10:46 - Jun 7 with 4354 viewsNo9

I don't think Peterborough is a very wealthy place?
Maybe the voters didn't take too kindly to a bunch of very wealthy individuals behind the party -one involved in housing & property - turning up & ignoring local issues?
I'd say that was a poor result for the Brexit Party, despite Nigel's bluster on 10:47 - Jun 7 with 4349 viewsNo9

I'd say that was a poor result for the Brexit Party, despite Nigel's bluster on 08:33 - Jun 7 by GunnsAirkick

Nige was there and looked very glum.

As his mate Trump would say; sad, so sad.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2019 8:33]

& "Fake News"
I'd say that was a poor result for the Brexit Party, despite Nigel's bluster on 10:55 - Jun 7 with 4331 viewsPinewoodblue

I'd say that was a poor result for the Brexit Party, despite Nigel's bluster on 10:02 - Jun 7 by ElephantintheRoom

Labour IS a protest vote. The people of Peterborough spoke very eloquently of what they thought of this useless Tory government, putting them third in a two horse race in a seat they held before the forgetful driver won it at the last election.

Voting Labour is not, and never has been, a protest vote. The majority of Labour voters vote for something they believe in.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

I'd say that was a poor result for the Brexit Party, despite Nigel's bluster on 11:26 - Jun 7 with 4289 viewsNo9

I'd say that was a poor result for the Brexit Party, despite Nigel's bluster on 10:02 - Jun 7 by ElephantintheRoom

The current Peterborough consituency was created in the many LA & boundary changes made in the early 70's it was a tory stronghold from 79 to 97 when it went to labour who lost it to a tory inprobably better described as Ukip in 2005.It returned to labour in 2017

It is right to say this election was fought on local issues. The tory;s are warnign if they don't change what they are doing they could lose 5 or six seats in Norfolk at the next GE.

I would say it is a rotes vote but the voters at last waking up
I'd say that was a poor result for the Brexit Party, despite Nigel's bluster on 11:29 - Jun 7 with 4286 viewsGeoffSentence

I'd say that was a poor result for the Brexit Party, despite Nigel's bluster on 09:53 - Jun 7 by Pinewoodblue

"So you want to guarantee the likes of the Brexit party are represented in parliament. "

Much as I disagree with NF and his cronies, I see nothing wrong with them being represented in parliament in line with the wishes of the people. That is democracy.

FPTP is a nice cosy way of keeping the status quo.

The flip side of this "people you don't like will get represented' argument against PR, is that it is unusual for any single party to have total power so whilst fringe groups will have some say, they will never dominate.

I'd say that was a poor result for the Brexit Party, despite Nigel's bluster on 12:17 - Jun 7 with 4247 viewsHerbivore

I want everyone's vote to count, not just the votes of those who put a cross next to the winner. That will meam representation from the Brexit Party but so be it if that's what people want. It'd be interesting to see whether they got absolutely shown up when given some actual responsibility. Other parties would also be better represented than they are currently. If you're happy with a two party first past the post system then fair enough. It's not for me.

I'd say that was a poor result for the Brexit Party, despite Nigel's bluster on 12:30 - Jun 7 with 4224 viewsSpruceMoose

To be honest, yes. Five million people voted UKIP. They shouldn't be denied representation just because I think they're incredibly wrong and idiotic. That just causes seething and anger.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2019 12:31]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

I'd say that was a poor result for the Brexit Party, despite Nigel's bluster on 13:07 - Jun 7 with 4182 viewsHerbivore

I'd say that was a poor result for the Brexit Party, despite Nigel's bluster on 12:30 - Jun 7 by SpruceMoose

To be honest, yes. Five million people voted UKIP. They shouldn't be denied representation just because I think they're incredibly wrong and idiotic. That just causes seething and anger.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2019 12:31]

It also gives the likes of BP and UKIP more ammo rather than forcing them to be responsible and accountable in office. It's much easier to be a protest vote with no real prospect of getting elected in any great numbers, actually having to contribute to the political process is another thing entirely.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024