Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC 14:38 - Aug 16 with 3772 viewsBrixtonBlue

Fits with what quite a few on here have said on the subject. I wonder if certain posters will say this video is a conspiracy in itself!

https://www.bbc.com/ideas/videos/three-ways-to-spot-a-conspiracy-theory/p07j9sjk

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 14:43 - Aug 16 with 2743 viewsStokieBlue

The key thing about conspiracy theories is anything or anyone who presents evidence which counters the conspiracy can easily be dismissed as being part of the conspiracy.

This circular approach means they are totally unfalsifiable and thus you will never be able to persuade someone fully in their thrall that what they believe isn't the case.

It's also what can make them dangerous in some cases.

SB
[Post edited 16 Aug 2019 14:44]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 15:01 - Aug 16 with 2694 viewsmidastouch

Cheers I'll give that a watch. I'll confess, I love a good conspiracy theory. I know the vast majority fall foul of the bull**** tests, but some do intrigue me. Barely a day goes by without somebody coming up with some weird and not so wonderful theory! For example, just this week my friend tried to convince me Epstein's death has been faked and he has conveniently been shuffled into the US witness protection scheme never to be seen again. You sure need a good bull**** antenna in this day and age (what with Photoshop and advanced CGI) to separate fact from fiction.
Cheers for sharing.

Poll: Would you trade Marcus Evans for Mike Ashley?

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 15:06 - Aug 16 with 2668 viewsmidastouch

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 15:01 - Aug 16 by midastouch

Cheers I'll give that a watch. I'll confess, I love a good conspiracy theory. I know the vast majority fall foul of the bull**** tests, but some do intrigue me. Barely a day goes by without somebody coming up with some weird and not so wonderful theory! For example, just this week my friend tried to convince me Epstein's death has been faked and he has conveniently been shuffled into the US witness protection scheme never to be seen again. You sure need a good bull**** antenna in this day and age (what with Photoshop and advanced CGI) to separate fact from fiction.
Cheers for sharing.

And you're going to need an incredible bull**** antenna with all this coming down the pipe and more!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46745742

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 15:18 - Aug 16 with 2635 viewscaught-in-limbo

I'd say that's a rather glossy albeit 6th form presentation of a very silly subject.

The fact that flat-earth, the Kennedy assassination, Jewish power, vaccinations, climate change and establishment paedophilia can all be lumped together and called "conspiracy theory" is ridiculous and therefore any effort to deal with such an all-inclusive topic like "3 things conspiracy theories have in common" are not really worth bothering with.

If you "don't believe in conspiracy theories", then it's quite simple, you're a conspiracy denier. You deny the fact that any group of people will work covertly to do something unethical, dishonest or illegal for their own person gain. There are examples of this happening every day in every walk of life in every country on Earth. In fact, it probably happens in most company boardrooms every month. Money is a big motivator. So, if you honestly believe that all people are honest all the time, you can call yourself a proud conspiracy denier. If not, you believe in conspiracies.

If you can't see how the label "conspiracy theorist" is used to ridicule, silence and alienate anyone who is sceptical of the government or critical of establishment power, then you're a very good little citizen. You'll be happy that the UK is the most surveilled country (per capita) on the planet, you'll trust that the reason is because of anti-terrorism and that it's all for your own protection.

EDIT: Lowhouse will downvote this because it mentions paedophilia among the establishment. Of course there's no evidence to support paedophilia among the establishment because it has an inconvenient history of getting lost or destroyed.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2019 16:38]

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 15:26 - Aug 16 with 2625 viewsmidastouch

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 15:18 - Aug 16 by caught-in-limbo

I'd say that's a rather glossy albeit 6th form presentation of a very silly subject.

The fact that flat-earth, the Kennedy assassination, Jewish power, vaccinations, climate change and establishment paedophilia can all be lumped together and called "conspiracy theory" is ridiculous and therefore any effort to deal with such an all-inclusive topic like "3 things conspiracy theories have in common" are not really worth bothering with.

If you "don't believe in conspiracy theories", then it's quite simple, you're a conspiracy denier. You deny the fact that any group of people will work covertly to do something unethical, dishonest or illegal for their own person gain. There are examples of this happening every day in every walk of life in every country on Earth. In fact, it probably happens in most company boardrooms every month. Money is a big motivator. So, if you honestly believe that all people are honest all the time, you can call yourself a proud conspiracy denier. If not, you believe in conspiracies.

If you can't see how the label "conspiracy theorist" is used to ridicule, silence and alienate anyone who is sceptical of the government or critical of establishment power, then you're a very good little citizen. You'll be happy that the UK is the most surveilled country (per capita) on the planet, you'll trust that the reason is because of anti-terrorism and that it's all for your own protection.

EDIT: Lowhouse will downvote this because it mentions paedophilia among the establishment. Of course there's no evidence to support paedophilia among the establishment because it has an inconvenient history of getting lost or destroyed.

People are easily scared. And yet statistically we're probably more likely to die of a bee sting than any terror related attack.
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/dutch-dangers-falling-and-bee-sting
You don't need me to tell you that fear is a destructive weapon that is used to manipulate and control.

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 15:27 - Aug 16 with 2621 viewsGeoffSentence

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 15:18 - Aug 16 by caught-in-limbo

Are you saying that there is a conspiracy to cover up conspiracies?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 15:30 - Aug 16 with 2600 viewsBent_double

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 15:26 - Aug 16 by midastouch

People are easily scared. And yet statistically we're probably more likely to die of a bee sting than any terror related attack.
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/dutch-dangers-falling-and-bee-sting
You don't need me to tell you that fear is a destructive weapon that is used to manipulate and control.

I knew it, even the dammed bees are involved!

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 15:32 - Aug 16 with 2592 viewsmidastouch

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 15:30 - Aug 16 by Bent_double

I knew it, even the dammed bees are involved!

Man, you not seen the Bee Movie yet lol?

Login to get fewer ads

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 15:35 - Aug 16 with 2575 viewsfactual_blue

The video isn't a conspiracy.

Or so they'd like you to think....

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 15:36 - Aug 16 with 2570 viewscaught-in-limbo

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 15:27 - Aug 16 by GeoffSentence

Read what you like in to what I have written, but I think it's pretty clear.

If however you were trying your hand at a bit of afternoon comedy, I hope the cricket resumes quickly.

#toxic

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 15:43 - Aug 16 with 2546 viewsmidastouch

How's this for a conspiracy theory, I recall somebody here and somebody across the pond (both of which I'd rather forget!) suggesting that Iraq possessed WMDs in 2003!

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 15:51 - Aug 16 with 2510 viewsDarth_Koont

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 15:27 - Aug 16 by GeoffSentence

My conspiracy theory is that conspiracy theorists are empowered, activated and sometimes even paid to distract from the real things that are happening in plain sight everyday.

They also set a norm for the status quo defenders to call legitimate dissenters conspiracy theorists.

Pronouns: He/Him

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 16:07 - Aug 16 with 2478 viewscaught-in-limbo

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 15:51 - Aug 16 by Darth_Koont

My conspiracy theory is that conspiracy theorists are empowered, activated and sometimes even paid to distract from the real things that are happening in plain sight everyday.

They also set a norm for the status quo defenders to call legitimate dissenters conspiracy theorists.

You're absolutely spot on with that one.

In every country that I've lived in, the group you have described is also known as corporate or state run media.

#toxic

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 16:10 - Aug 16 with 2465 viewsmidastouch

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 15:51 - Aug 16 by Darth_Koont

I'd like to think most of us could be slotted comfortably into the third category, as summarised below:

As copied from here: https://www.rt.com/op-ed/466271-epstein-death-questions-conspiracies/
Clark seems to have made the interesting jump from Guardian to RT!
https://www.theguardian.com/profile/neilclark

"Anyone claiming this time last week that Epstein wouldn't make it to trial because too many very rich and very important people would be dragged in would of course have been dismissed as a "conspiracy theorist."

But this morning, it's the "don't be so stupid, of course he'll make it to the courtroom" brigade who are looking rather silly — and you could also argue, quite naive.

If this means we get more open discussion on "conspiracy theories," it can only be a good thing. Here's why. When it comes to conspiracy theories, there are three types of people. There are well-paid, establishment gatekeepers who routinely use the CT term to gaslight people and close down legitimate debate. At the same time, these gatekeepers are themselves often the biggest pushers of conspiracy theories — but only when it comes to "official enemies." Let's not forget that the deadliest conspiracy theory of this century so far was the one suggesting that Iraq possessed WMDs in 2003. It was, by and large, peddled by those who routinely scoff at conspiracy theorists and label them "cranks."

The second category are those who seem to believe everything — or at least almost everything — is a conspiracy. The Moon landings were faked. Elvis never died. Sandy Hook never happened. Every terrorist attack is a "false-flag." I was once accused by someone at a public meeting of being a member of 'Agenda 21.' The fact that I didn't know what she was on about was proof that I was really an 'Agenda 21 agent.'

*** The third category — and this is where surely all sensible people are — accept that while not everything is a conspiracy, it's actually quite daft to think conspiracies never occur, especially when people involved are very wealthy and very powerful and the stakes are extremely high.

Put another way, did you really think, deep down, given who he was, the people who he was associated with — and the nature of the allegations — that Epstein's case would ever get to court? Be honest. I'd reckon about 90 percent, even though they might not publicly admit it, would entertain serious doubts."

Above source as copied from this link: https://www.rt.com/op-ed/466271-epstein-death-questions-conspiracies/

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 16:17 - Aug 16 with 2437 viewssparks

Most people who buy into these conspiracy theories simply lack the capacity for critical and sceptical thinking.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 16:20 - Aug 16 with 2413 viewslowhouseblue

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 16:10 - Aug 16 by midastouch

I'd like to think most of us could be slotted comfortably into the third category, as summarised below:

As copied from here: https://www.rt.com/op-ed/466271-epstein-death-questions-conspiracies/

"Anyone claiming this time last week that Epstein wouldn't make it to trial because too many very rich and very important people would be dragged in would of course have been dismissed as a "conspiracy theorist."

But this morning, it's the "don't be so stupid, of course he'll make it to the courtroom" brigade who are looking rather silly — and you could also argue, quite naive.

If this means we get more open discussion on "conspiracy theories," it can only be a good thing. Here's why. When it comes to conspiracy theories, there are three types of people. There are well-paid, establishment gatekeepers who routinely use the CT term to gaslight people and close down legitimate debate. At the same time, these gatekeepers are themselves often the biggest pushers of conspiracy theories — but only when it comes to "official enemies." Let's not forget that the deadliest conspiracy theory of this century so far was the one suggesting that Iraq possessed WMDs in 2003. It was, by and large, peddled by those who routinely scoff at conspiracy theorists and label them "cranks."

The second category are those who seem to believe everything — or at least almost everything — is a conspiracy. The Moon landings were faked. Elvis never died. Sandy Hook never happened. Every terrorist attack is a "false-flag." I was once accused by someone at a public meeting of being a member of 'Agenda 21.' The fact that I didn't know what she was on about was proof that I was really an 'Agenda 21 agent.'

*** The third category — and this is where surely all sensible people are — accept that while not everything is a conspiracy, it's actually quite daft to think conspiracies never occur, especially when people involved are very wealthy and very powerful and the stakes are extremely high.

Put another way, did you really think, deep down, given who he was, the people who he was associated with — and the nature of the allegations — that Epstein's case would ever get to court? Be honest. I'd reckon about 90 percent, even though they might not publicly admit it, would entertain serious doubts."

Above source as copied from this link: https://www.rt.com/op-ed/466271-epstein-death-questions-conspiracies/

i think you'll find that the sensible people are those who rely on evidence rather than coincidence and surmise. what does for conspiracy nutters is that they always fall back on "well of course we can't prove it, it's a conspiracy."

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 16:25 - Aug 16 with 2403 viewsmidastouch

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 16:20 - Aug 16 by lowhouseblue

i think you'll find that the sensible people are those who rely on evidence rather than coincidence and surmise. what does for conspiracy nutters is that they always fall back on "well of course we can't prove it, it's a conspiracy."

Agreed, evidence first and foremost. But with the obvious caveat that evidence can also be doctored by the rich and powerful if it suits their agenda, like it was for the Iraq war. Remember Tony's dodgy dossier!

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 16:26 - Aug 16 with 2396 viewscaught-in-limbo

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 16:10 - Aug 16 by midastouch

That's a well put together post. Unfortunately, it won't get the recognition it deserves because it's much longer than the alternative:

"Conspiracies carried out by our glorious leaders/establishment don't exist, therefore any criticism of our rulers by ... let's call them "conspiracy theorists" must be agents of a malevolent foreign power."

It's so easy, Kim Jong Un uses it.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2019 16:34]

#toxic

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 16:29 - Aug 16 with 2379 viewsDarth_Koont

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 16:20 - Aug 16 by lowhouseblue

Gmpf.

Except of course evidence (or admitting there’s a lack of evidence) that doesn’t support their scummy agenda.

Pronouns: He/Him

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 16:34 - Aug 16 with 2368 viewsmidastouch

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 16:25 - Aug 16 by midastouch

Agreed, evidence first and foremost. But with the obvious caveat that evidence can also be doctored by the rich and powerful if it suits their agenda, like it was for the Iraq war. Remember Tony's dodgy dossier!

And I think we can agree that without any conspiracies to get their teeth stuck into, the investigative journalists of this world would all have to hang up their cameras and keyboards, oh and bullet proof vests!

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 16:49 - Aug 16 with 2294 viewssparks

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 16:26 - Aug 16 by caught-in-limbo

That's a well put together post. Unfortunately, it won't get the recognition it deserves because it's much longer than the alternative:

"Conspiracies carried out by our glorious leaders/establishment don't exist, therefore any criticism of our rulers by ... let's call them "conspiracy theorists" must be agents of a malevolent foreign power."

It's so easy, Kim Jong Un uses it.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2019 16:34]

The same old disingenuous fallacy trotted out in reply to entirely reasonable criticism of people buying into conspiracy theories.

Much easier to throw up this ridiculous response than to think seriously about whether one is actually using reason and appropriate scepticism when considering information.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 16:58 - Aug 16 with 2269 viewscaught-in-limbo

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 16:49 - Aug 16 by sparks

The same old disingenuous fallacy trotted out in reply to entirely reasonable criticism of people buying into conspiracy theories.

Much easier to throw up this ridiculous response than to think seriously about whether one is actually using reason and appropriate scepticism when considering information.

The same old pompous verbosity trotted out in reply to entirely reasonable criticism of those in power.

Much easier to throw up this laughable response than to think seriously about whether one is actually using reason and appropriate scepticism when considering information.

#toxic

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 16:59 - Aug 16 with 2267 viewsActionMan

Sums up all of this.
Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 17:10 - Aug 16 with 2236 viewsBent_double

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 15:32 - Aug 16 by midastouch

Man, you not seen the Bee Movie yet lol?

well, I have seen a few b-movies in my time.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 17:17 - Aug 16 with 2211 viewsmidastouch

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 17:10 - Aug 16 by Bent_double

well, I have seen a few b-movies in my time.

Fair play, bet they've been getting a lot more airplay than the Ipswich Town season highlights DVDs have in recent times! Bet they've been a hard sell in Planet Blue this year!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024