Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Team for tomorrow, and going forwards 08:32 - Oct 25 with 5162 viewsitfcjoe

-------------------------------------Holy--------------------------
Vincent-Young----Woolfenden---Chambers---Garbutt
-----------------------------------Skuse---------------------------
---------------------------Downes-----Nolan------------------
----Jackson-------------------------------------------Georgiou
-----------------------------------Norwood----------------------

Reserves

-------------------------------------Norris--------------------------
Donacien------------Nsiala------------Wilson-------Kenlock
-----------------------------------Dozzell---------------------------
---------------------------Judge---------Huws------------------
----Edwards-------------------------------------------Rowe
-----------------------------------Keane----------------------

Plus

Harry Wright
Tristan Nydam
Teddy Bishop
Jack Lankester
Jordan Roberts
Ben Folami
Ben Morris
Freddie Sears
Idris El Mizouni
Armando Dobra
Corrie Ndaba
Bailey Clements

Squad is massive

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Team for tomorrow, and going forwards on 08:36 - Oct 25 with 3499 viewsWestover

I like that but maybe rest Chambers and play Wilson and even change the keeper.
Team for tomorrow, and going forwards on 08:40 - Oct 25 with 3485 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Can't only be me who thinks that Garbutt is poor at Lb in a back four??

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Team for tomorrow, and going forwards on 08:43 - Oct 25 with 3478 viewsChocorange

Team for tomorrow, and going forwards on 08:40 - Oct 25 by TRUE_BLUE123

I was saying this too, looks much better wide left midfield or as a wing back.

Our better performances ( albeit for half a game ) have been when he was in midfield.

He seems to be caught out of position almost as much as Kenlock when LB.
Team for tomorrow, and going forwards on 08:47 - Oct 25 with 3472 viewsitfcjoe

Team for tomorrow, and going forwards on 08:40 - Oct 25 by TRUE_BLUE123

Definitely not, he doesn't engage defensively and gave the ball away so many times over last few games - but best of bad options currently as adds with his delivery from set pieces

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Team for tomorrow, and going forwards on 09:14 - Oct 25 with 3425 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Team for tomorrow, and going forwards on 08:47 - Oct 25 by itfcjoe

Definitely not, he doesn't engage defensively and gave the ball away so many times over last few games - but best of bad options currently as adds with his delivery from set pieces

Take it you are not for the 3 at the back.

The team against Fleetwood probably looked the best balanced team??

You still keep the 3 in the midfield, two strikers and allows Woolfenden more cover to play.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Team for tomorrow, and going forwards on 09:18 - Oct 25 with 3417 viewsMrTown

Agree with 99% of that, just don't like Jackson as a RW.

Would prefer a more natural winger in Rowe or Edwards, personally Rowe for me.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Team for tomorrow, and going forwards on 09:29 - Oct 25 with 3388 viewsHerbivore

Team for tomorrow, and going forwards on 09:18 - Oct 25 by MrTown

Agree with 99% of that, just don't like Jackson as a RW.

Would prefer a more natural winger in Rowe or Edwards, personally Rowe for me.

It then becomes a 4-5-1 with an isolated striker all too easily. A proper 4-3-3 needs wide forwards rather than wide midfielders. When Sears is fit I'd be bringing him in on the left of a front three, have three genuine forwards out there.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2019 9:32]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Team for tomorrow, and going forwards on 09:30 - Oct 25 with 3383 viewsHerbivore

Team for tomorrow, and going forwards on 09:14 - Oct 25 by TRUE_BLUE123

Take it you are not for the 3 at the back.

The team against Fleetwood probably looked the best balanced team??

You still keep the 3 in the midfield, two strikers and allows Woolfenden more cover to play.

Fleetwood is the only game where three at the back has really worked. We changed from it before half time against Tranmere and then at half time against Accrington. I don't think it suits us, we don't have the defenders for it.

Login to get fewer ads

Team for tomorrow, and going forwards on 09:34 - Oct 25 with 3373 viewsHullblue

Team for tomorrow, and going forwards on 08:47 - Oct 25 by itfcjoe

Kenlock is a better defender for me, so I’d play him left back, move George over to the right and play Garbutt on the left wing.

Kenlock has struggled in possession this season but surely that’s a confidence thing?

In an ideal world we’d have another match-ready left back, but given what we’ve got...

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

Team for tomorrow, and going forwards on 09:40 - Oct 25 with 3343 viewsGooders7592

I can't help but think we need to play with two strikers. I don't think any of the three recognised ones we have are good enough to play by themselves up front in this league.

I would go with the below and stick it out:

Holy
Woolfenden Chambers Wilson
KVY Skuse Downes Garbutt
Judge
Jackson Norwood
Team for tomorrow, and going forwards on 09:42 - Oct 25 with 3340 viewsStokieBlue

That effectively puts our top scorer out wide and most likely covered the full back a lot of time which isn't ideal.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Team for tomorrow, and going forwards on 09:44 - Oct 25 with 3337 viewsGooders7592

Team for tomorrow, and going forwards on 09:30 - Oct 25 by Herbivore

Fleetwood is the only game where three at the back has really worked. We changed from it before half time against Tranmere and then at half time against Accrington. I don't think it suits us, we don't have the defenders for it.

I think we have got the players for it, but chopping and changing formation and players will not helping getting used to 3 at the back, 4-4-2 or 4-3-3.
Team for tomorrow, and going forwards on 09:47 - Oct 25 with 3328 viewsHerbivore

Team for tomorrow, and going forwards on 09:44 - Oct 25 by Gooders7592

I think we have got the players for it, but chopping and changing formation and players will not helping getting used to 3 at the back, 4-4-2 or 4-3-3.

We really don't have the defenders for three at the back, not remotely. You need to have defenders who are mobile and can essentially cover the full back area as well as centrally. They need to be comfortable on the ball. We don't have three CBs that match those criteria. Our lack of a left footer is also a much bigger issue in a back three where one of the CBs is playing wider on that side. Whenever we've used three at the back successfully in the past we've always had a left footer on that side. There's a reason why we've had to ditch three at the back at half time or earlier twice during the handful of times we've used that system this season.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2019 9:48]

Team for tomorrow, and going forwards on 09:50 - Oct 25 with 3315 viewsHerbivore

Team for tomorrow, and going forwards on 09:42 - Oct 25 by StokieBlue

That effectively puts our top scorer out wide and most likely covered the full back a lot of time which isn't ideal.

SB

If you're playing a proper 4-3-3 he'll have licence to drift and in any case Jackson makes most of his runs down that inside right channel anyway and is a big threat when he does. He played that role a lot at Accrington.

Team for tomorrow, and going forwards on 09:52 - Oct 25 with 3313 viewsStokieBlue

Team for tomorrow, and going forwards on 09:50 - Oct 25 by Herbivore

If you're playing a proper 4-3-3 he'll have licence to drift and in any case Jackson makes most of his runs down that inside right channel anyway and is a big threat when he does. He played that role a lot at Accrington.

Maybe.

He's played there for us as well last season and been ineffective. It might work but I'd be worried that it's not a real 433 and becomes a 451 with Norwood isolated - it's what tends to happen with us.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Team for tomorrow, and going forwards on 09:53 - Oct 25 with 3310 viewsGooders7592

Team for tomorrow, and going forwards on 09:47 - Oct 25 by Herbivore

We really don't have the defenders for three at the back, not remotely. You need to have defenders who are mobile and can essentially cover the full back area as well as centrally. They need to be comfortable on the ball. We don't have three CBs that match those criteria. Our lack of a left footer is also a much bigger issue in a back three where one of the CBs is playing wider on that side. Whenever we've used three at the back successfully in the past we've always had a left footer on that side. There's a reason why we've had to ditch three at the back at half time or earlier twice during the handful of times we've used that system this season.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2019 9:48]

It's League 1 football, they don't have to be comfortable on the ball but able to defend, which they can. Mobility is an issue, agreed, but I think KVY & Garbutt are better going forward than backwards which is why I'd stick another body in there. I think we need 3 in the middle and two up top, and this would be the only way.

I'm not Paul Lambert though so just my opinion.
Team for tomorrow, and going forwards on 09:54 - Oct 25 with 3304 viewsGooders7592

Team for tomorrow, and going forwards on 09:52 - Oct 25 by StokieBlue

Maybe.

He's played there for us as well last season and been ineffective. It might work but I'd be worried that it's not a real 433 and becomes a 451 with Norwood isolated - it's what tends to happen with us.

SB

Agreed with this.
Team for tomorrow, and going forwards on 09:54 - Oct 25 with 3301 viewsHerbivore

Team for tomorrow, and going forwards on 09:52 - Oct 25 by StokieBlue

Maybe.

SB

Although last season we were the worst side in the league and this season we're not so I'd hope we could use the system much more effectively. I don't remember Jackson being used wide much in that system though, we played him centrally on his own a fair bit.

Team for tomorrow, and going forwards on 09:57 - Oct 25 with 3285 viewsHerbivore

Team for tomorrow, and going forwards on 09:53 - Oct 25 by Gooders7592

It's League 1 football, they don't have to be comfortable on the ball but able to defend, which they can. Mobility is an issue, agreed, but I think KVY & Garbutt are better going forward than backwards which is why I'd stick another body in there. I think we need 3 in the middle and two up top, and this would be the only way.

I'm not Paul Lambert though so just my opinion.

They need to be comfortable at any level because with three at the back you're essentially sacrificing a midfield player who would naturally be better on the ball and the CBs need to compensate by either bringing the ball out themselves or starting off moves from the back. Ours just launch it. Garbutt and KVY are good going forward but our lack of mobility at the back means the back three doesn't effectively cover for them when they are going forward anyway. There are better ways to offer them cover than playing a three at the back with three right footed cloggers.

Team for tomorrow, and going forwards on 09:59 - Oct 25 with 3281 viewshaynes_toe1

Bit of a realisation that our squad is absolutely huge, especially for this division and there are more than enough quality players within those for Lambert to win this league comfortably, irrespective of my thoughts on where he lacks key abilities as a manager.
Team for tomorrow, and going forwards on 10:00 - Oct 25 with 3278 viewsWestcountryblue

We don't we just play 4-4-2 and match up vs most teams in this division.

Sure, if we were playing Man City or Arsenal, i could fully understand the need to play 4-3-3 or a wing back system for possession purposes. However, we are not.

We played our most effective football this year in a 4-4-2 and players like Georgiou and Edwards give us the pace and width to use it effectively.
Team for tomorrow, and going forwards on 10:01 - Oct 25 with 3272 viewsWestcountryblue

I think in that squad list, Sears, Bishop and Lankester are a mark up from the likes of Keane, Nolan and Rowe. I can see them fitting in immediately when they are back to full fitness.
Team for tomorrow, and going forwards on 10:02 - Oct 25 with 3270 viewsHerbivore

Team for tomorrow, and going forwards on 09:59 - Oct 25 by haynes_toe1

Bit of a realisation that our squad is absolutely huge, especially for this division and there are more than enough quality players within those for Lambert to win this league comfortably, irrespective of my thoughts on where he lacks key abilities as a manager.

But for the size of the squad I still think it lacks a bit of balance. No decent left back. No left sided CB. No genuine target man. Mediocre wide options. It's partly why I think he's struggling to find a system, there's previous few systems we can use where it's round pegs in round holes AND most of our best players are accommodated.

Team for tomorrow, and going forwards on 10:03 - Oct 25 with 3270 viewsGooders7592

Team for tomorrow, and going forwards on 09:57 - Oct 25 by Herbivore

They need to be comfortable at any level because with three at the back you're essentially sacrificing a midfield player who would naturally be better on the ball and the CBs need to compensate by either bringing the ball out themselves or starting off moves from the back. Ours just launch it. Garbutt and KVY are good going forward but our lack of mobility at the back means the back three doesn't effectively cover for them when they are going forward anyway. There are better ways to offer them cover than playing a three at the back with three right footed cloggers.

Can I ask what your suggestion is in terms of team and formation?
Team for tomorrow, and going forwards on 10:03 - Oct 25 with 3266 viewsWestcountryblue

Team for tomorrow, and going forwards on 10:02 - Oct 25 by Herbivore

But for the size of the squad I still think it lacks a bit of balance. No decent left back. No left sided CB. No genuine target man. Mediocre wide options. It's partly why I think he's struggling to find a system, there's previous few systems we can use where it's round pegs in round holes AND most of our best players are accommodated.

I think some of those concerns will be addressed with the return of Sears, Lankester, Bishop and Nydam, with the first 3 being particularly good players at this level.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024