Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night 13:00 - Nov 22 with 9261 viewsIllinoisblue

Where do they find these people?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 13:13 - Nov 22 with 3825 viewsBluefish

He was clearly right though even if the ridiculous stats say otherwise

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 13:17 - Nov 22 with 3808 viewsHerbivore

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 13:13 - Nov 22 by Bluefish

You are never knowingly right, in a weird way it's kind of admirable.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 13:18 - Nov 22 with 3804 viewsm14_blue

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 13:13 - Nov 22 by Bluefish

Huh??
Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 13:19 - Nov 22 with 3796 viewsHerbivore

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 13:18 - Nov 22 by m14_blue

Huh??

I'm hoping he's fishing.

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 13:22 - Nov 22 with 3791 viewsBluefish

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 13:19 - Nov 22 by Herbivore

I'm hoping he's fishing.

There is not a chance in hello that 80k puts you in the top 5% of earners in the UK, not even close. It is more to do with what is classed as earnings and how they are paid.

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 13:23 - Nov 22 with 3783 viewsHerbivore

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 13:22 - Nov 22 by Bluefish

There is not a chance in hello that 80k puts you in the top 5% of earners in the UK, not even close. It is more to do with what is classed as earnings and how they are paid.

I guess your gut feeling is worth more than statistical analysis on this one. I'm convinced.

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 13:26 - Nov 22 with 3769 viewsSwansea_Blue

Didn't watch and had to google. He reckoned "I'm not even in the top 50% [of earners]".

Quite frankly, anyone earning over £80k per year who thinks they're not in the top 50% of earners probably needs to see a psychiatrist.

It's very emotive subject obviously; so we need to see more information on how this will pan out for individuals. My tax/NI contributions jumped substantially under Osborne (over £1,200 per year) whilst my salary was frozen, yet popular opinion is that you pay less tax under the Tories. So popular opinion isn't always right.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 13:27 - Nov 22 with 3762 viewskizaitfc

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 13:22 - Nov 22 by Bluefish

You very much underestimate how low so many people in the UK are paid!

I imagine you vote Conservative

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

Login to get fewer ads

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 13:27 - Nov 22 with 3761 viewsvilanovablue

So the readily available statistical information to support the fact 80k puts you in the top 5% of earnings is wrong?
[Post edited 22 Nov 2019 13:28]
Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 13:28 - Nov 22 with 3755 viewsBluefish

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 13:23 - Nov 22 by Herbivore

I guess your gut feeling is worth more than statistical analysis on this one. I'm convinced.

Donyou really think 80k puts you in the top 5%? As in really actually believe that opposed to want to son will hide behind some dodgy stats?

What is classed as earning?
What people are included?

Obviously you must know these details and will happily share.

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 13:30 - Nov 22 with 3742 viewsBluefish

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 13:27 - Nov 22 by vilanovablue

So the readily available statistical information to support the fact 80k puts you in the top 5% of earnings is wrong?
[Post edited 22 Nov 2019 13:28]

Well it doesn't give all of the details. Who is included? Just the working population? What counts as earnings? People set up as businesses? Dividends? Bonuses? Not a chance in hell that 80k puts you in the top 5

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 13:33 - Nov 22 with 3730 viewssoupytwist

He said that the earns over £80k per year, so to all intents and purposes he is in the top 5%.
Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 13:36 - Nov 22 with 3720 viewssoupytwist

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 13:30 - Nov 22 by Bluefish

Well it doesn't give all of the details. Who is included? Just the working population? What counts as earnings? People set up as businesses? Dividends? Bonuses? Not a chance in hell that 80k puts you in the top 5

You seem to be working on the basis that £80,000 salary is in the top 5% of salaries. Which it probably isn't.

But, if you get a salary of >£80,000 95% of working people earn less than you. So you're in the top 5%

And as for his opinion that all doctors and solicitors earn more than him, he's just massively wrong.
Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 13:36 - Nov 22 with 3715 viewsBluefish

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 13:27 - Nov 22 by kizaitfc

You very much underestimate how low so many people in the UK are paid!

I imagine you vote Conservative

You very much underestimate how high some people are paid in the uk

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 13:39 - Nov 22 with 3709 viewsBluefish

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 13:33 - Nov 22 by soupytwist

He said that the earns over £80k per year, so to all intents and purposes he is in the top 5%.

Who is included? Children? Part time workers? Casual workers? Retired?

What counts as earnings? Self employed? Dividends? Commissions? Bonuses?

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 13:41 - Nov 22 with 3705 viewsSwansea_Blue

Here's a link to the clip if anyone's interested. It's hilarious. See 1.38 for a prefect example of people who've made their minds up and no amount of truth is going to change it.

It's relatively easy to find out that the 95th percentile for wage earners is at about £80k. All the data exists from HMRC. He thinks every solicitor earns way more than £80k per year and Burgon is then called out as talking "rubbish" when he said he earnt £40k as a solicitor. Example of average solicitor salaries on a vacancy site - £42k:
https://www.totaljobs.com/salary-checker/average-solicitor-salary

This is so off with reality it smacks of a pattern we've seen from the Tories. We know QT ships in plants quite regularly - either this bloke and grumpy woman next to him are completely deluded. Or they're plants.

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 13:45 - Nov 22 with 3679 viewshampstead_blue

I checked that and surprisingly I think it is correct.

The top 5% does start around that figure.

Problem is that £80 don't make you rich.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 13:45 - Nov 22 with 3676 viewsHerbivore

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 13:39 - Nov 22 by Bluefish

The figures are from HMRC so I imagine they are based on any taxable income. I don't know why you struggle to believe that £80k puts you in the top 5%, it's three times the national average wage.

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 13:46 - Nov 22 with 3676 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 13:36 - Nov 22 by Bluefish

You very much underestimate how high some people are paid in the uk

Would that be the o.1 to 1 %....you are funny!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 13:46 - Nov 22 with 3678 viewsSteve_M

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 13:26 - Nov 22 by Swansea_Blue

Didn't watch and had to google. He reckoned "I'm not even in the top 50% [of earners]".

Quite frankly, anyone earning over £80k per year who thinks they're not in the top 50% of earners probably needs to see a psychiatrist.

It's very emotive subject obviously; so we need to see more information on how this will pan out for individuals. My tax/NI contributions jumped substantially under Osborne (over £1,200 per year) whilst my salary was frozen, yet popular opinion is that you pay less tax under the Tories. So popular opinion isn't always right.

Figures for 2016-17. The 3% bit he explains further down the thread.

If it isn't currently in the top 5% then it's mightily close.

There are two additional points to note on income:

1). Income and wealth are not synonymous so it is perfectly possible that someone might not feel wealthy (it takes a certain level of self-awareness to shout about it on TV mind)
2). An awful lot of the richest are outside of PAYE and won't be caught here regardless. Not sure Labour's wealth Tax works either but it's looking in the right direction.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 13:46 - Nov 22 with 3678 viewsSwansea_Blue

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 13:39 - Nov 22 by Bluefish

Earners. Everyone who's paid a wage as recorded by HMRC.

I know what you're saying. It's very easy to assess relative pay of wage earners because it's all recorded. It's much harder to work out wealth as that can be moved around or even moved out of the country. So earnings on wealth is much harder to quantify. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/22/factcheck-earning-80000-or-more

Anyone who earns £80k+ is relatively well off, even though they may not feel it, especially if they're sole providers for a large family (only possible because they are so well paid - many people don't have that luxury).

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 13:47 - Nov 22 with 3678 viewsDanTheMan

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 13:41 - Nov 22 by Swansea_Blue

Here's a link to the clip if anyone's interested. It's hilarious. See 1.38 for a prefect example of people who've made their minds up and no amount of truth is going to change it.

It's relatively easy to find out that the 95th percentile for wage earners is at about £80k. All the data exists from HMRC. He thinks every solicitor earns way more than £80k per year and Burgon is then called out as talking "rubbish" when he said he earnt £40k as a solicitor. Example of average solicitor salaries on a vacancy site - £42k:
https://www.totaljobs.com/salary-checker/average-solicitor-salary

This is so off with reality it smacks of a pattern we've seen from the Tories. We know QT ships in plants quite regularly - either this bloke and grumpy woman next to him are completely deluded. Or they're plants.

People don't like to think they are well off.

Here's an American article about people earning $500k a year not earning a lot.

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/08/fashion/08halfmill.html

And one for Toronto:

https://torontolife.com/city/almost-rich/

I remember seeing one where a couple earned a lot in the Telegraph (100k+) but they were saying how horrid it was because they couldn't go out for dinner every week whilst paying for private school for their children.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 13:47 - Nov 22 with 3671 viewsSwansea_Blue

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 13:45 - Nov 22 by hampstead_blue

I checked that and surprisingly I think it is correct.

The top 5% does start around that figure.

Problem is that £80 don't make you rich.

£80 doesn't make you rich, agreed

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 13:49 - Nov 22 with 3660 viewsfooters

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 13:26 - Nov 22 by Swansea_Blue

If you were on 80k and went to see a psychiatrist, your take-home after each session would certainly put you in the bottom 50% of earners :)

My recommendation? The pub.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 13:51 - Nov 22 with 3639 viewsBluefish

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 13:46 - Nov 22 by Swansea_Blue

Earners. Everyone who's paid a wage as recorded by HMRC.

I know what you're saying. It's very easy to assess relative pay of wage earners because it's all recorded. It's much harder to work out wealth as that can be moved around or even moved out of the country. So earnings on wealth is much harder to quantify. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/22/factcheck-earning-80000-or-more

Anyone who earns £80k+ is relatively well off, even though they may not feel it, especially if they're sole providers for a large family (only possible because they are so well paid - many people don't have that luxury).

It is miles away from reality though and a dodgy statistic. It also highlights the Corbyn problem, you can want to try and tax the top earners but the top earners might have better ways to hide their earnings, if you tax them too much they might also disappear. 100% of 0 is still 0

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024