Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night 13:00 - Nov 22 with 9287 viewsIllinoisblue

Where do they find these people?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 14:16 - Nov 22 with 1615 viewsJ2BLUE

If I earnt £80k I think i'd be ok with paying a little more tax for the greater good.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 14:17 - Nov 22 with 1613 viewsButterbing

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 14:12 - Nov 22 by Bluefish

Could include all of the above then

It’s not just PAYE income. It is taxable income. This would include salary, dividends and interest and self-employed/partnership income.
Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 14:17 - Nov 22 with 1613 viewsBluefish

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 14:16 - Nov 22 by Herbivore

Upset? I'm amused at your fishing attempts. Very cute.

I don't need to fish, you jump out of the river by yourself and straight into my pocket every single time

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 14:18 - Nov 22 with 1604 viewschicoazul

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 14:12 - Nov 22 by Bluefish

Could include all of the above then

What you have to remember is there are 32.5m "workers" in the UK. Is it really so outlandish to think something like only 1.6m of them earn above 80k? Hardly anyone in the NHS, public sector, chraitable sector, the Forces for instance earns that or really, anywhere near to it. As someone else here has said even people like me who don't pay PAYE and run a business still have to declare our income and pay tax sadly, and all the UKs averages are extrapolated from that data.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 14:20 - Nov 22 with 1601 viewsclive_baker

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 14:12 - Nov 22 by itfcjoe

If you are happy to pay the £20 or so a month extra out of your salary then no issues surely?

I am, I’m just saying it’s not that easy for everyone. Some people on £80k are worse off than their neighbour on £60k, for a whole host of reasons. I don’t know what the answer is, but a lot of things in life are means tested. Working income tax purely off gross salary feels a little unsophisticated for this day and age.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 14:20 - Nov 22 with 1601 viewsSwansea_Blue

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 14:08 - Nov 22 by clive_baker

I think the whole thing needs to be more sophisticated than purely looking at gross salary. Even household income would be something of a leveller. 2 earners in a household, 1 on £80k and 1 on £20k take home £6k a month after tax. 2 earners both on £50k take home £6.3k. Doesn’t feel reasonable to me.

I earn over £80k and I’m more than happy to pay more tax, I like to think I’m a liberal, but my commuting costs are huge, my wife is a nurse and is massively under paid, and I’ve got a young child. I’ve got friends on £60k living in their millionaire parents ‘2nd home’ rent free in central London and going on 6 holidays a year. I can bet you they’ve got more £ left over at the end of the month than me, and I by no means live am overly lavish lifestyle.

Household income estimates. https://www.ifs.org.uk/tools_and_resources/where_do_you_fit_in

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 14:22 - Nov 22 with 1595 viewsBluefish

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 14:18 - Nov 22 by chicoazul

What you have to remember is there are 32.5m "workers" in the UK. Is it really so outlandish to think something like only 1.6m of them earn above 80k? Hardly anyone in the NHS, public sector, chraitable sector, the Forces for instance earns that or really, anywhere near to it. As someone else here has said even people like me who don't pay PAYE and run a business still have to declare our income and pay tax sadly, and all the UKs averages are extrapolated from that data.

80k seems too low to me still

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 14:25 - Nov 22 with 1577 viewschicoazul

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 14:22 - Nov 22 by Bluefish

80k is a lot of money (in purely relative terms). It may not seem it but the statistics bear it out. Its 6.5k a month gross, you'll see about 4.7k of that after taxes I think. Given your flat-out refusal to accept all this Blubbers you're obviously hanging out with a) very wealthy people or b) liars.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Login to get fewer ads

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 14:26 - Nov 22 with 1579 viewsclive_baker

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 14:20 - Nov 22 by Swansea_Blue

Household income estimates. https://www.ifs.org.uk/tools_and_resources/where_do_you_fit_in

Odd that a household income of £80k can be in the top 3% but an individual income is in the top 5%. Unless these folk earning £80k+ are all homeless of course.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 14:28 - Nov 22 with 1570 viewsHalf_Idiot

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 14:22 - Nov 22 by Bluefish

What percentile would you put 80k+ earners in then if you're so adamant that they aren't in the top 5%?
Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 14:29 - Nov 22 with 1564 viewsButterbing

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 14:28 - Nov 22 by Half_Idiot

What percentile would you put 80k+ earners in then if you're so adamant that they aren't in the top 5%?

According to the idiot on QT last night it’s around 50%.
Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 14:31 - Nov 22 with 1556 viewssoupytwist

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 14:00 - Nov 22 by Bluefish

Do you think most GPs and consultants are paid through PAYE then?

GPs who are not partners in the practice they work at generally are yes. And I'd guess that's the majority of them (based on information gleaned from my friend who is a GP).
Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 14:31 - Nov 22 with 1553 viewschicoazul

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 14:29 - Nov 22 by Butterbing

According to the idiot on QT last night it’s around 50%.

I havent seen the QT man but it sounds to me like he suffers from a very similar delusion to a lot of people in this country. They think we are much more richer influential & important than we are.

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 14:31 - Nov 22 with 1555 viewsBluefish

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 14:28 - Nov 22 by Half_Idiot

I would expect the top 5% to be 150-200k+ and 80k to be more like the top 15 or 20%

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 14:34 - Nov 22 with 1539 viewschicoazul

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 14:31 - Nov 22 by Bluefish

I would expect the top 5% to be 150-200k+ and 80k to be more like the top 15 or 20%

Blubbers. Would you like to know how many people earn 150k+ in the UK according to the taxman? It's about 300,000.

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 14:34 - Nov 22 with 1541 viewsDanTheMan

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 14:31 - Nov 22 by Bluefish

I really cannot see that 1 in 5 people in the country earn 80k+. I only know one person even approaching that.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 14:34 - Nov 22 with 1541 viewsButterbing

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 14:31 - Nov 22 by soupytwist

GPs who are not partners in the practice they work at generally are yes. And I'd guess that's the majority of them (based on information gleaned from my friend who is a GP).

Particularly since the change in IR35 (intermediaries legislation) a couple of years ago. The vast majority of GPs are employed under employment law and paid through PAYE. Some locums can operate as “self-employed” still.
Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 14:40 - Nov 22 with 1518 viewschicoazul

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 14:34 - Nov 22 by DanTheMan

I really cannot see that 1 in 5 people in the country earn 80k+. I only know one person even approaching that.

I think I am right in saying that if you strip out the top 10% and bottom 10% of earners in the UK we are as egalitarian a society in terms of earnings as Holland. Everyone in the country apart from a tiny fraction has more or less the same problems.

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 14:40 - Nov 22 with 1518 viewsHalf_Idiot

What part of the country do you live in to give you the impression that 1 in 5 people earn £80k+?

You do realise the national average is somewhere in the mid to high 20's?
Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 14:43 - Nov 22 with 1508 viewsBluefish

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 14:40 - Nov 22 by Half_Idiot

What part of the country do you live in to give you the impression that 1 in 5 people earn £80k+?

You do realise the national average is somewhere in the mid to high 20's?

Fair point those throw away figures weren't thought through very well. I would definitely say that for household income though

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 14:47 - Nov 22 with 1492 viewsButterbing

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 14:43 - Nov 22 by Bluefish

Fair point those throw away figures weren't thought through very well. I would definitely say that for household income though

Finally. Only three pages for you to accept that the statistics provided by HMRC and the ONS show that an income of £80000 would be in the top 5% of taxable income in the country. Where taxable income includes salary, dividends, interest, pension, rental profits, self-employment and partnership income.
Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 14:47 - Nov 22 with 1492 viewsfactual_blue

He's in the top five per cent earnings bracket, but not in any other 'top five per cent' brackets.

Except perhaps for the top five per cent idiots.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 15:02 - Nov 22 with 1464 viewslongtimefan

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 13:59 - Nov 22 by Swansea_Blue

Yep, average doctors salary around the £40k mark. We live in a post truth world where people have opinions grounded on beliefs and no facts/evidence.

Which is a good job on here, otherwise there'd be no arguments!

"Yep, average doctors salary around the £40k mark."

Given the publicity given to the Doctors who were falling foul of the £40K maximum pension contributions per year rule and therefore pulling out of doing additional work, you'd be forgiven for being surprised by that.
Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 15:03 - Nov 22 with 1462 viewsBluefish

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 14:47 - Nov 22 by Butterbing

Finally. Only three pages for you to accept that the statistics provided by HMRC and the ONS show that an income of £80000 would be in the top 5% of taxable income in the country. Where taxable income includes salary, dividends, interest, pension, rental profits, self-employment and partnership income.

Didn't say that though

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 15:06 - Nov 22 with 1455 viewslongtimefan

Bearded 80k shouty bloke on question time last night on 13:26 - Nov 22 by Swansea_Blue

Didn't watch and had to google. He reckoned "I'm not even in the top 50% [of earners]".

Quite frankly, anyone earning over £80k per year who thinks they're not in the top 50% of earners probably needs to see a psychiatrist.

It's very emotive subject obviously; so we need to see more information on how this will pan out for individuals. My tax/NI contributions jumped substantially under Osborne (over £1,200 per year) whilst my salary was frozen, yet popular opinion is that you pay less tax under the Tories. So popular opinion isn't always right.

"My tax/NI contributions jumped substantially under Osborne (over £1,200 per year) "

Are you sure it was just Tax and NI contributions? I've plugged incomes from 10K to 80K into Tax/NI spreadsheets for the years from 2010 to 2017 and in every case, combined deductions would be less in 2017 (assuming frozen income level).
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024