Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So scientifically there is no gain in shutting schools / cancelling events ... 18:43 - Mar 12 with 3817 viewsTrequartista

... in England, but there is in Ireland.

Which science is correct then?
[Post edited 12 Mar 2020 18:49]

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

So scientifically there is no gain in shutting schools / cancelling events ... on 18:50 - Mar 12 with 3159 viewsPendejo

There may be a climate element to this, and our government appear to want a "managed" contagion.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

So scientifically there is no gain in shutting schools / cancelling events ... on 18:52 - Mar 12 with 3141 viewssparks

So scientifically there is no gain in shutting schools / cancelling events ... on 18:50 - Mar 12 by Pendejo

There may be a climate element to this, and our government appear to want a "managed" contagion.

There are different demographics, geography, economic or organisational pressures and scientific opinion is going to vary.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:53 - Mar 12 with 3114 viewsSwansea_Blue

Let’s not forget no 10 are being steered by their ‘nudge’ psychology consultants too. The medical position is far from the only thing being taken into consideration.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2020 19:05]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

So scientifically there is no gain in shutting schools / cancelling events ... on 18:55 - Mar 12 with 3106 viewspointofblue

So scientifically there is no gain in shutting schools / cancelling events ... on 18:50 - Mar 12 by Pendejo

Yes, it seems like the U.K. government have been advised that it will happen anyway so want to manage it rather than kick it into the long grass only for it to return after the self-isolation period. Other countries want to try snuffing it out at source. Both ideas have logic behind them but, as said above there will be additional reasons why this route is being taken.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

So scientifically there is no gain in shutting schools / cancelling events ... on 18:55 - Mar 12 with 3097 viewsgiant_stow

I guess we'll find out in time hey?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

So scientifically there is no gain in shutting schools / cancelling events ... on 18:58 - Mar 12 with 3078 viewsBloomBlue

Put 10 scientists in a room and you'll never get 100% consensus on everything.
That's the trouble in these rare situations there isn't a rule book per se you follow you can only go on what the experts are telling you and then you as the decision maker has to make that decision.
So scientifically there is no gain in shutting schools / cancelling events ... on 19:00 - Mar 12 with 3056 viewsBloomBlue

So scientifically there is no gain in shutting schools / cancelling events ... on 18:55 - Mar 12 by giant_stow

I guess we'll find out in time hey?

But what will we find out? This virus will spread and kill even if you lockdown a country, what are you going to compare the final total against?
So scientifically there is no gain in shutting schools / cancelling events ... on 19:06 - Mar 12 with 3023 viewsTrequartista

So scientifically there is no gain in shutting schools / cancelling events ... on 18:52 - Mar 12 by sparks

There are different demographics, geography, economic or organisational pressures and scientific opinion is going to vary.

A variance of 180 degrees?

The reasons cited were that school children would congregate anyway and also visit grandparents, and that the disease is more contagious to the people directly around you rather than large crowds. I'd have thought those reasons would apply in any country.

Is the Chief Medical Officer independent or selected by the Government ?

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Login to get fewer ads

So scientifically there is no gain in shutting schools / cancelling events ... on 19:09 - Mar 12 with 3011 viewsNthQldITFC

Chief Scientific Officer addresses that from 4:00 here... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/headlines/51862922/up-to-10000-in-uk-

...but it would really help for a lot of people to watch the whole thing and try really hard to understand why timing is critical for these interventions, and why it's not as simple as demanding "why aren't they doing this right now?"

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

So scientifically there is no gain in shutting schools / cancelling events ... on 19:11 - Mar 12 with 2993 viewssparks

So scientifically there is no gain in shutting schools / cancelling events ... on 19:06 - Mar 12 by Trequartista

A variance of 180 degrees?

The reasons cited were that school children would congregate anyway and also visit grandparents, and that the disease is more contagious to the people directly around you rather than large crowds. I'd have thought those reasons would apply in any country.

Is the Chief Medical Officer independent or selected by the Government ?

Its not 180 degrees. Its not a binary issue.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

So scientifically there is no gain in shutting schools / cancelling events ... on 19:12 - Mar 12 with 2995 viewssparks

So scientifically there is no gain in shutting schools / cancelling events ... on 19:09 - Mar 12 by NthQldITFC

Chief Scientific Officer addresses that from 4:00 here... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/headlines/51862922/up-to-10000-in-uk-

...but it would really help for a lot of people to watch the whole thing and try really hard to understand why timing is critical for these interventions, and why it's not as simple as demanding "why aren't they doing this right now?"

Hey- they may be wrong- but it is a rational, reasoned scientific strategy based on the advice and work of people with knowledge and expertise.

Importantly they are people who will accept and revise if the evidence starts to show a flaw in the plan rather than doubling down...

So scientifically there is no gain in shutting schools / cancelling events ... on 19:22 - Mar 12 with 2930 viewsRegencyBlue

The way I look at it is that we are a country of 60 million plus people, not one of whom has any immunity to this virus.

It’s going to sweep through the population at some point whatever we do!
So scientifically there is no gain in shutting schools / cancelling events ... on 19:34 - Mar 12 with 2866 viewsgiant_stow

So scientifically there is no gain in shutting schools / cancelling events ... on 19:00 - Mar 12 by BloomBlue

But what will we find out? This virus will spread and kill even if you lockdown a country, what are you going to compare the final total against?

There seems to be two differring approaches to this school issue - we'll see how we look compared to most of the rest of the world when the dust has settled.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2020 19:37]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

So scientifically there is no gain in shutting schools / cancelling events ... on 19:37 - Mar 12 with 2865 viewsSwansea_Blue

So scientifically there is no gain in shutting schools / cancelling events ... on 19:22 - Mar 12 by RegencyBlue

The way I look at it is that we are a country of 60 million plus people, not one of whom has any immunity to this virus.

It’s going to sweep through the population at some point whatever we do!

But obviously it would be better to wait for it at home while watching Cash In The Attic, rather than carry on with the 9-5.

Who was it who called us a bunch of lazy idlers and dossers? Was it Boris, Patel or one of the other arses? They may have had a point. This is like waiting for a snow day at school, except the forecast is 4 weeks ahead.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

So scientifically there is no gain in shutting schools / cancelling events ... on 19:47 - Mar 12 with 2813 viewsBloomBlue

So scientifically there is no gain in shutting schools / cancelling events ... on 19:34 - Mar 12 by giant_stow

There seems to be two differring approaches to this school issue - we'll see how we look compared to most of the rest of the world when the dust has settled.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2020 19:37]

But what are you comparing the total number of people who caught it, total number who died, if an individual caught in another country ie Italy do you count it against Italy? I really dont understand how 'we look' will tell us anything.
So scientifically there is no gain in shutting schools / cancelling events ... on 19:49 - Mar 12 with 2807 viewsLeoMuff

Is it just me that feels shutting schools is the worst ideas ever ? Children seem to have the lowest infection rates and the best recovery, so why not contain them in school, rather than roaming around supermarkets, shops, cafes with parents, putting more vulnerable members of the community at risk.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

So scientifically there is no gain in shutting schools / cancelling events ... on 19:57 - Mar 12 with 2746 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

So scientifically there is no gain in shutting schools / cancelling events ... on 18:52 - Mar 12 by sparks

In what way does economics come into the science of virus transmission....surely the prospect of kids who are most likely not to exhibit symptoms spreading the virus to each other and then popping home to see the grandparents would suggest that schools should be closing.
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/mar/12/coronavirus-most-infections-spre

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

So scientifically there is no gain in shutting schools / cancelling events ... on 19:59 - Mar 12 with 2741 viewsgiant_stow

So scientifically there is no gain in shutting schools / cancelling events ... on 19:47 - Mar 12 by BloomBlue

But what are you comparing the total number of people who caught it, total number who died, if an individual caught in another country ie Italy do you count it against Italy? I really dont understand how 'we look' will tell us anything.

Broadly and when its safe to look back, i'm chatting about how many died, how society continued to function and how the economy handled events.

I get that we'll never really know how many people got ill due to testing constraints and the ill not necessarily ever going near healthcare.

We do seem to be going out alone on this schools policy in particular. Ballsey stuff. I hope they're right.

So scientifically there is no gain in shutting schools / cancelling events ... on 20:04 - Mar 12 with 2723 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

So scientifically there is no gain in shutting schools / cancelling events ... on 19:09 - Mar 12 by NthQldITFC

Well having listened I am not convinced....kids will still see grandparents and surely the risk is less if they are hanging out with 2 or 3 mates than being at skool with 1500 of them.

So scientifically there is no gain in shutting schools / cancelling events ... on 20:04 - Mar 12 with 2720 viewsgiant_stow

So scientifically there is no gain in shutting schools / cancelling events ... on 19:57 - Mar 12 by BanksterDebtSlave

In what way does economics come into the science of virus transmission....surely the prospect of kids who are most likely not to exhibit symptoms spreading the virus to each other and then popping home to see the grandparents would suggest that schools should be closing.
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/mar/12/coronavirus-most-infections-spre

In fairness our experts seem to be taking a holisitc approach to the nations well-being.... not just a strict stop virus deaths at all costs.

I was struck by the emphasis the chielf medical bloke put on avoiding elderly loneliness, for example.

So scientifically there is no gain in shutting schools / cancelling events ... on 20:08 - Mar 12 with 2721 viewsElderGrizzly

Good article here showing the different approaches across Europe.

One country appears to be at odds with the experts in other countries and even their own internal advice to central departments

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/12/how-do-coronavirus-containment-mea
So scientifically there is no gain in shutting schools / cancelling events ... on 20:08 - Mar 12 with 2703 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

So scientifically there is no gain in shutting schools / cancelling events ... on 20:04 - Mar 12 by giant_stow

In fairness our experts seem to be taking a holisitc approach to the nations well-being.... not just a strict stop virus deaths at all costs.

I was struck by the emphasis the chielf medical bloke put on avoiding elderly loneliness, for example.

They would probably enjoy the company of their uninfected grandkids then!

So scientifically there is no gain in shutting schools / cancelling events ... on 20:10 - Mar 12 with 2688 viewssparks

So scientifically there is no gain in shutting schools / cancelling events ... on 19:57 - Mar 12 by BanksterDebtSlave

Because there is always a cost benefit analysis. Else we would have banned cars to reflect the deaths they cause.

So scientifically there is no gain in shutting schools / cancelling events ... on 20:12 - Mar 12 with 2680 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

So scientifically there is no gain in shutting schools / cancelling events ... on 20:08 - Mar 12 by ElderGrizzly

Good article here showing the different approaches across Europe.

One country appears to be at odds with the experts in other countries and even their own internal advice to central departments

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/12/how-do-coronavirus-containment-mea

It's the economy stupid!

So scientifically there is no gain in shutting schools / cancelling events ... on 20:14 - Mar 12 with 2667 viewsgiant_stow

So scientifically there is no gain in shutting schools / cancelling events ... on 20:08 - Mar 12 by BanksterDebtSlave

They would probably enjoy the company of their uninfected grandkids then!

Again fairness, you're ignoring the plain bit of advice there that anyone with a snuffle should self isolate.

Dont get me wrong, i'd rather we shut everything down and did it weeks ago, but i'm not an expert.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2020 20:18]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024